Bruce Wayne,Oliver Queen,or Tony Stark.Who's your favorite billionaire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 277 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2008 3:51:38 PM PDT
Lukey says:
All three men have alter-egos that have become well-known& beloved.Which of the three does it for ya,and why? I'm also talking about the men as superheroes as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 11:16:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2008 12:02:55 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
That's a great question! While I have nothing against Green Arrow or Iron Man (loved the movie!), Bruce Wayne is my favorite and not just because Christian Bale played him in my favorite movies of the genre. He's so psychologically tortured, yet still principled. I love the fact that he's tough, no-nonsense, and totally fits the moniker "the dark knight." Of course, he's a superbrain or at least has one at his fingertips via a computer. And he's pretty taciturn and prone to make mistakes. But as a businessman, he seems savvy and at least knows how to hire exceptional people. Plus, he has great gadgets!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 2:39:09 PM PDT
Lukey says:
You are so on point.I think I find the"wounded child" angle to Bruce's personality/psychosis the most endearing.Batman is constantly implying that he does what he does,so no other kid would have to lose their parents the way he did.It's the thing that drives his obsession the most.So all the ninja/martial arts training&detective work,all the inventing weapons and gadgets,all the self-sacrifice&danger in facing Gotham(and the World's) most lethal criminals.All of that is so no child ever has to suffer like young Bruce did(&does).Now that WriterGal is a true hero.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 2:55:46 PM PDT
R. Mcelroy says:
Going just on the comic book characterizations, I have to go with Ollie Queen (Green Arrow). He's serious about his heriocs but has a twisted sense of humor at the same time. Plus, he came back from the dead! Gotta give him props for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 3:32:05 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
Okay, yeah, R. Mcelroy, I like Queen for his humor. I still have some Justice League and Green Lantern/Green Arrow comic books (yep, they're old). Yes, he deserves props for that. But my first love is the Dark Knight. I like the wounded child aspect that Lukey brought up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 4:46:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2008 4:47:21 PM PDT
Lukey says:
I'll tell ya guys,The Green Arrow/Green Lantern"on the road"-type stories in the 1970's are amazing.They are brilliant(Neal Adams.C'mon now!).The social commentaries and reflections of the times were all over those pages.Took the two heroes to another level,and helped to establish that series as a metaphor for post-Vietnam America. Oliver Queen became a champion for social justice(He seems Liberal or a leftie/counter-cultural).Whereas Hal represented the Right's military/authoritarian/establishment side.Deep,Heavy stuff.Check it if you haven't.It makes them way more human.That's part of the reason I am so strongly objecting to SuperMax as the jump-off to the Green Arrow's movie debut.I think they can establish Ollie as a real person,and the Green Arrow as a different kind of hero first.SuperMax will make an awesome sequel,though!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 5:50:24 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
I've got a Green Lantern/Green Arrow right here--issue No. 84--Peril in Plastic (with Black Canary). Yeah. Good stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 3:59:00 PM PDT
Lukey says:
Now Black Canary is the perfect example of how you could flesh out the Green Arrow movie before SuperMax.If they make GA first,they can introduce Black Canary as a Star City ally/anti-heroine.But they don't hook up yet.They just interact and team-up(with the pre-requiste flirting/insulting each other routine)And with the character appearing on Smallville these days,she has a built in audience.Plus she is a tough lady.Between the karate and the sonic scream,man that woman packs a punch.In SuperMax,you expand their relationship as needed.Then maybe include them in the Justice League movie!Sorry to keep beating a dead horse,but IMHO this way might make more sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 4:22:47 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
Yeah. With Black Canary, there's the whole Birds of Prey angle. But yeah, a Justice League movie is the ticket. But I'm worried about casting . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2008 7:14:26 PM PDT
Lukey says:
Well George Miller tried and failed.And not for nothin' but that whole"casting the Justice League younger"thing he was doing was a BIG mistake.The keys to a successful Justice League are the right actors.Because(as we all know)the right actor/s can take a good story and make it great.They can take a good plot&turn it into an amazing epic.Casting worries me too.SERIOUSLY!But I think we have time for that.I'm kinda wondering who they are gonna pick for the Flash.And how they are going to interpret his story.Green Lantern,too.Since those properties are being made as we speak,my concern is more immediate.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 5:56:48 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
Is there any word on who they might choose for either? I see the Flash as a "tightrope" character, one who walks between seriousness and irreverence. You've got to find the actor who can balance without falling toward cheesiness. Since I was extremely disappointed by the Fantastic Four movie (I only saw the first one), I use that as the measure for how casting, dialogue, and plot can affect the outcome. It was way too campy and cliche. But that's my opinion for any who are ready to take me to task. I'm usually drawn to adaptations that take the material seriously--like Christopher Nolan's vision for Batman.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 3:44:04 PM PDT
Lukey says:
There has been some real solid talk that Ryan Reynolds(Blade3,Van Wilder,etc.)is the top pick for the Flash.And I couldn't agree more.He could play Barry as a police scientist.Unsure of himself and self-effacing.Then as the Flash he has the right look and attitude to make me buy into it.The material will be taken seriously W.G. but the story is definitely going to have wisecracks and some comedic elements.That's why DC hired David Dobkin.However,some have quoted Dobkin's take as funny but special-effect filled action.Hey I'm just as fond of laughter as the next guy,but I think to make Flash a 50/50 guy would be a mistake(50% of the movie is comedy,50% is action/romance).Now all this also hinges on Reynolds and 20th Century Fox.Today they announced that they are re-booting Daredevil and are developing a Deadpool movie(as a spin-off of Reynolds' character in X-Men Origins:Wolverine).So I guess the next couple of weeks will tell.The Flash is definitely happenning as we speak(type)so they'll be locking in someone soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 7:00:00 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
Okay, Ryan Reynolds would be good. But I agree, they need to take it seriously and not have too much comedy. Ugh. That would be lame. And I'm glad they're rebooting Daredevil. I was extremely disappointed in that one, mainly because of casting. I didn't hate it with a passion the way some seem to, but I left the theater thinking, "What on earth???" That's why I keep bringing up Batman as an example of taking the material seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 10:44:55 PM PDT
T. Montana says:
Among these rich superheroes why not Professor Charles Xavier?Someone has to keep the lights on at the X-mansion.Anyway,Bruce Wayne HAS to be Batman psychological wise, Green Arrow can hold so many arrows, and Tony Stark can and has had others, human or mechanical, to take his place.The point, money is a factor to back them up but their need to make in their mind the world saved or better would not change.I would say Tony Stark is more intelligent would think his way out with Bruce being the 2nd.Bruce Wayne is more disciplined, trained and resourceful.Sorry, Ollie you fall short of these two, but has the biggest heart if it counts.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 1:11:50 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
I look at IMDB. Adam Brody as the Flash (!)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0974015/ Justice

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 3:20:37 PM PDT
Lukey says:
Yea man.Especially since Daredevil was supposed to be Marvel's answer to the Bat.But Matt Murdock's backstory should be mined much deeper this time: Include Stick and the Hand.If the Bat had the League of Shadows,then we definitely deserve to see that blind janitor ninja done justice.A re-booted Daredevil is gonna be something special.I'm calling this one a mile away!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 3:23:28 PM PDT
Lukey says:
Did u see the big"rumored"next to Brody's name in Justice League Mortal(which by the way is floating in the vacuum of hiatus right now).And remember,IMDB is fan-assisted.Posts aren't always accurate.Are you worried?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 4:32:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2008 4:35:47 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
I agree. That's why I was disappointed with Daredevil. I remember actually laughing in the theater at some scenes in that were not meant to be laughed at. Casting is so important! Well, casting and good direction.

About rumors: worried? Absolutely! I got my hopes up about seeing James McAvoy as Bilbo in The Hobbit, but discovered it was only a rumor. Not sure if it was ever confirmed. So yes, I am worried. And I wonder if the rumors about the directors of the Superman and Batman franchises being upset at a Justice League movie. (I've heard those bandied about.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 5:24:14 PM PDT
Lukey says:
I think Professor X is more about the humanitarian aspect to his crusade.He has championed mutants and is dedicated to the idea that Homo Sapien and Homo Superior can co-exist on the same planet peacefully.That's why he runs a school.And to a larger degree,why he shelters and tries to protect the mutants who are persecuted.He is a good,kind,but flawed teacher/leader.He has used his powers to make money to run his school(and the X-Men)but I doubt he's a billionaire.With that said I've always kinda felt Tony Stark was a brilliant weapons maker/inventor,as is Bruce Wayne.Ollie is pretty good too(those trick arrows are sometimes ingenious and complicated.Like the quantum arrow,the sonic arrow,etc.)but he's not in their league.I feel like Bruce is the wiser because of his early quest for knowledge.He used his money to scour the earth to learn all he needed to know to combat evil.And as we all know from countless stories he has gone on a physical,spiritual&philosophical journey on his way to day one as Batman.Tony had a sudden change of conscience(after almost dying and being held prisoner)but up until that point he was a playboy.He was Howard Stark's son:a young,rich carefree man.He went to private schools and college,and lived a live of privilige before designing and becoming Iron Man.Bruce's overall depth of knowledge and experiences trump Tony Stark's casual upbringing(despite the death of his father).Bruce is just a deeper,more complicated soul(IMHO).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 5:42:18 PM PDT
Lukey says:
Well according to Mark Millar,there is going to be a new Superman triology with him writing it(and a "big-time director"helming it).No Singer,No Routh.Total re-boot.But that's also rumored at this point.And if u know Mark Millar,he frequently opens his mouth before he knows what the shot is.So he could just be trying to get something going.Nolan isn't mad at the Justice League persay,it was just gonna be about timing.He felt that if Miller had a different Batman(and Supes for that matter),it would distill/confuse the audience for the Dark Knight/Batman3/Man of Steel.Also with Christian Bale and Brendan Routh being very vocal about their non-participation,Miller would have had them look like the bad guys if they said anything negative or didn't help promote it.Hey not for nothing,if I was Nolan I'd resent that too.DC was trying to take a shortcut to make $ with the Justice League,and Singer and Nolan felt that.They wanted no part of it.For me personally,I always felt making the movie like Justice League90210 was gonna be a HUUUUGE mistake!They casted young with the assumption that there would be sequels,which is very arrogant on their parts.Listen Adam Brody as Wally was an OK choice,and Common as John Stewart was way cool.But everything after that was not cool.So I am glad they pulled the plug and are shelving it for now.As far as Bilbo,my condolences.But when you track movies in general,you'll get to know that rumors that start so early can't be true.The Hobbit is in its early gestation phase.No script,cast,etc.It's gonna be like 2 years until it hits the screen so...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 8:20:15 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
I can't believe they want yet another Superman trilogy!! I have nothing against Superman, but for crying out loud? How many times is this franchise going to be rebooted?

Yeah, I had the feeling that money was the bottom line. You simply can't go cheap and expect viewers to line up. Great talent and great effects cost $$.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 3:48:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2008 7:44:28 PM PDT
Lukey says:
I keep asking myself:Why?Why is DC going back to the well again?Superman has been established and re-established enough.Point taken,he's the Man of Steel. Right,We get it.All-American icon/symbol.OK already!Leave him be until Justice League.The $ that DC is willing to shell out for a re-boot would be much better served showing us other characters.For the love of god.And Millar is talking about making it a trilogy.Really?As a longtime Superman fan, I am no longer interested in his solo exploits.I've seen all I need to see within that part of his life.I'm now more interested in Superman in context to other great heroes.And to keep this thread topically on point,I would loooooove to see some kind of Clark/Ollie/Bruce inter-action.And I don't mean their alter-egos(well actually I do,but not to illustrate this point).Couldn't you see it:Clark covers some charity ball thing where Bruce and Ollie
are.Or Clark starts an investigation that takes him to Queen Enterprises.Or Batman does the investigating and needs Clark's Daily Planet contacts..I dunno something like that.That's kinda lame,but it's all I got right now.I'm not only desperate for the cross-pollination of DC's heroes,but I'm also bummed about Millar's take/attempt to cash in on as many properties as he can.First 30 mins.he wants to spend on Krypton.Great. But solo Superman has lost his shine.Hundreds of millions of $ just waiting to be used properly.And on the Marvel side of this thread is the rumor du jour:Eva Longoria was photographed coming out of Marvel HQ after meeting with the suits.She just happens to coincidentally be clutching a copy of the Avengers comic book(oh so subtly facing the camears clear as day)The theory is that they may be thinking of her for the Wasp in the Avengers movie.Since she was an Avenger(along with Hank/Ant-Man)from day one,someone is floating trying to connect the dots.I'm appalled! Comments?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 5:06:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2008 5:07:12 AM PDT
WriterGal says:
What??? No offense to Eva Longoria fans, but I hate these stunt casting moves! Okay, maybe they thought she has the right "look" with her dark hair and because she's popular due to Desperate Housewives. But I'm sorry. I simply can't buy her as Wasp. See, this is why I absolutely loathed the first Fantastic Four movie. I liked Michael Chiklis, but Jessica Alba as Sue?!!! Jessica. Alba. Well, what's done is done and maybe because guys like her, she was cast. But for crying out loud!

On the flip side, I remember being shocked that Robert Downey Jr. was up for Tony Stark. But I was never appalled, however. I was interested to see what he would make of the role. Well, he was great. I wish they would invest the time to find an actress of this caliber and not do the popular-actress fallback. That's why I liked Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper. She had a sense of irony about her, which transcended the role.

For Wasp, I'm seeing a youngish Debi Mazar-type.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 2:50:08 PM PDT
Lukey says:
Do we really need to see her in the Avengers,though(& I don't mean Eva.She's DEAD WRONG)? If Edgar Wright is successful,then we are going to be introduced to Ant-Man the Movie.And it will have 2 versions of the character in the same film:Henry Pym and Scott Lang.The point being it's gonna be tough enough to get us to give a you-know-what about Ant-Man.Next we're suppossed to care about his spoiled wife/sidekick and her Wasp stingers? C'mon now!And in the context of the other Avengers,she's gonna steal screentime from Cap,Thor and Iron Man?For the love of god!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 4:17:10 PM PDT
WriterGal says:
More than likely, the producers will consider the need to give women more screen time (ala Arwen in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, at the expense of Glorifindel). But I don't find Wasp's story to be very compelling. I think you're right. She might detract from Thor's screen time, unless they do some Doctor Spectrum stuff (which would make any plot rather convoluted).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  277
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions