5.0 out of 5 stars If you eat out of boredom or loneliness, this is for you.
I've lost all the excess weight because of this book! The suggestions have saved me thousands and thousands of calories. It is a list of things to do instead of eat.

Published on March 19, 2011 by Tori Wolfe

3.0 out of 5 stars kind of mundane
fairly obvious collection, most of which you've probably read in magazines before. Go for a walk. Phone a friend. Have a drink of water. Ride a bike. Play the guitar. yadda yadda. We all know the drill. Handy as just a list, though, if you have need for such a list. There are no revelations here, but I suppose it is kind of handy to have a bunch of ideas in one...
Published 6 months ago by bodysoluble

5.0 out of 5 stars If you eat out of boredom or loneliness, this is for you., March 19, 2011
Tori Wolfe (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (Paperback)

I used to think that I was a compulsive eater, but really, I didn't have any alternative behaviors to lean on in times of boredom, loneliness, or stress. The book taught me how important it is for my mental health to have hobbies, do puzzles, and play games. I used to think that those were frivolous and childish pastimes. Now I know it is a sign of a mature person who has positive coping skills. I have expanded the list to include what I really enjoy and what I can really get absorbed in. Computer Mahjong, the Rubix's Slide, clicker training my dogs, and blogging (I think blogging is suggested in the book). I'm so glad I read this book and put the suggestions into practice. I can't recommend this book enough.

Also, if you are stuggling with an addiction of any kind, I believe you would benefit from this book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource to help stop mindless eating, October 30, 2009
This review is from: 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (Paperback)
As a psychologist, I'm frequently on the lookout for books that can help the people I work with. Dr. Albers's book is an excellent resource for people who are struggling with eating issues. As many people struggle with eating mindlessly (when they're not hungry or are upset, for example), it is important to learn other ways to cope with difficult emotions. She gives an overview of mindfulness and then details 50 exercises focusing on different ways to redirect the impulse towards self-destructive behavior. Many of the exercises in this book would work well for people dealing with other problems too, such as substance abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Stress Eaters, October 18, 2009
Mary M. (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (Paperback)
I saw this book in the Washington Post. A few days later I actually hear the author on the radio. She seemed to make a lot of sense. I was surprised at how much this book described my stress eating to a tee. I can identify with many of the stories. I keep the book in the kitchen and read it when I'm tempted to eat because I'm nervous or stressed out (which is often!). It's helped me a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing book, April 12, 2012
This review is from: 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (Paperback)
As a man, if you had told me I would have my life changed by book titled soothing yourself, I would have said "what a girl" comment. Well I had my life changed. I have lost over 100 pounds four times in my life and gained it all back three times. This time I am determined not to do that so I was looking for every avenue for help. This book was recommended by Over Eaters Anonymous. This book told me why I eat when I am not hungry. I knew I was eating because I was bored but didn't know why or more importantly how to stop it. This won't be easy but for the first time in my life I understand the problem and feel that I have a solution that can work. Anyone who eats when they are not hungry for any reason (not just boredom) will see themselves in this book and will see a path to salvation. Most of the doctor's clients are female and most of the examples are geared toward women but all of the explanations and solutions make sense for me. If you think controlling your eating is about will power you are WRONG! I have already given this book to my wife who said it taught her a lot.

The book is about 200 pages but a relatively easy read. Make certain to take a pen or highlighter when reading. After I finished it I typed up the key notes I highlighted so I can constantly review them. This won't make eating only when you need fuel an easy task, but without this book the task is impossible.

5.0 out of 5 stars No god? No "Secret"? No angels? No problem!!, June 20, 2010
This review is from: 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (Paperback)
I love this book! It gets to the heart of mindful eating without invoking God or angels or the Secret or deep Buddhist philosophy. The writer give solid, concrete ways to self-soothe so that the reader becomes enabled to eat mindfully. There is no delving into any dieting theory, just practical tools to end the problem of emotional overeating immediately. Isn't that what we are all looking for in weight loss books?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Helpful Suggestions!, October 18, 2009
Sally the Great "jserotta" (Lansdale, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (Paperback)
I am writing my from our family Amazon account. I am a fan of Dr. Albers' first book, Eating Mindfully, so I bought this one. This book is ideal for stress and boredom eaters. I am a mom who has a lot of stress and a zillon things to do. I don't have much time to take care of myself. I found that this is the perfect book for me. It is filled with easy, quick and inexpensive things to do when I am having a donut craving. These techniques really helped me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, August 27, 2012
Cathyd1000 (Satellite Beach,FL) - See all my reviews
This is a very helpful book if you are looking for things to help to distract you from thoughts of eating, out of non-hunger. I wrote down the page numbers for each idea and put them in a bowl, and picked one out when I needed that distraction.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book can really change your life!, November 18, 2012
After reading Fast Weight Loss: Do It Now and Be Healthy by Stephen Williams, I knew that I needed to find a replacement for some of the mindless eating habits I've managed to develop over the years. Eating has become an emotional support for me, and although I have been aware of this fact for a while, I have never actually managed to do anything about it until now. Maybe it is just the phase of life that I am in, and maybe I finally realized that I need to be healthy to keep up with my three active kids...whatever the reason, I decided to get '50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food' and see if I could actually make a difference in my way of thinking about food.
Most women will attest to the fact that there are times in our lives where we simply don't put ourselves first, and the result is that we give ourselves poor care and attention. That is exactly what I have been doing for about 13 and a half years, or exactly the length of time since I first became a mom. I joke that my needs aren't important, but they are, and by neglecting them I've managed to put food in a place that it isn't supposed to be. It has been a friend, an enemy, and a way to get back at the world...but not any longer!
Susan Albers has compiled a thorough, engaging list of alternatives to food for soothing the mind, soul, and body. Her words of wisdom range from practical tips, to ones that most of us wouldn't think of, like breathing techniques to determine if we want to eat because we are hungry, or if there is another reason.
I really like the self-image advice and the relaxation tips in the book. I am so hard on myself, that my mental self-image has been really distorted through the years. This book made me feel less `alone' in my craziness, and helped me see that my emotional eating actually made sense on so many different levels. I liked the fact that the author could relate so well to what I was feeling, and I loved the testimonials throughout the book. It was thorough, but easy to read, and broken up nicely so that I could go back and find things easily later on.
After all the dieting and self-help books I have read, you'd think I would know it all by now. My husband jokes that I could lose a lot of weight if I got rid of all the books, ha ha. But this one made me stop and really think about how I was sabotaging myself, and how I can stop doing it so that I can be truly healthy and happy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent practical book, May 12, 2011
Ronel (Mpumalanga, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (Paperback)
This book is very practical. I am a clinical psychologist and recommend the book to many of my clients. It is written for emostional eaters, but the the 50 ways of self soothing can be used by any person that suffers from an addiction. Easy reader packed with information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic, May 2, 2011
This review is from: 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food (Paperback)
The best thing about this book is the realistic approach to overcome overeating. I have always struggled with it, specially because I tend to comfort myself with food involuntarily... This book helped me a lot to identify what was triggering this behavior before I could do something about it.

50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food by Susan Albers (Paperback - September 1, 2009)
$16.95 $13.17