5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than the First Two
Published on May 27, 2011 by Ruth

3.0 out of 5 stars The least enjoyable of the series...
2.5-3 stars

Published 20 months ago by Amocca

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than the First Two, May 27, 2011
This review is from: To Win His Wayward Wife (Scandalous Sisters Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the first two books, and to be honest, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun reading romances. There's something about Rose Gordon's style and humor that pulls you in and makes you care so much about the characters that you wait in expectation for that magic moment where they confess their love to each other. I've enjoyed all of the characters in these books, but what made this one my favorite of the three was the hero and his great love for Madison.

The hero in this book (intentionally left out of the description for the shock value in chapter 2) has secretly loved Madison for years. She had no idea he loved her, and that was what eventually made this book my favorite one. The pining hero is very romantic. I didn't suspect the hero was who he turned out to be, and yes, I was shocked. He was the last person I expected, and I honestly wondered how the author would pull it off since I didn't like him at all after reading Intentions of the Earl. But she did pull it off. His tenderness toward Madison was wonderful. The wedding night blunder did look bad from Madison's point of view, but I understood what he was really telling her and as bad as it was, the real meaning was actually endearing because he held her in such high esteem that he could never think of her the way her horrible ex-suitor did. The ex-suitor, by the way, wants her back, and he had some surprising characteristics that were the mark of a good villain.

The romance that developed between the hero and Madison felt natural and pulled me into loving these two, and I felt fully immersed in the time period. I look forward to reading more of Rose Gordon's books in the future. Oh, and if anyone wonders, this book is wonderfully sensual. It was spicier than the first two, in my opinion, and I did enjoy that. Madison and the hero's first time was one of the best sex scenes I've ever read because of the emotional build-up to it and how satisfactory it was for her. If you read the book, you'll know why it was so important she enjoy sex with the hero.

3.0 out of 5 stars The least enjoyable of the series..., February 10, 2013
2.5-3 stars

I had thought - based on the reviewers comments - that this would be the one of the series that I would enjoy the most. However, it turned out not to be true. This was primarily based on the fact that the heroine Madison annoyed me no end! She was inconsistent, petty, horrible to the hero and a genuine annoyance almost all the way through the book...

possible spoilers:

The hero, was the villain of the first book, he is not named until they are at the alter - but his identity was no great surprise to me, and I am guessing that any reader with a minimum of sense would have figured out who he was from the go. I was very interested in how the author would redeem this horrible man, and she tries so hard, that she actually turns him into someone else!

Had I not read the first book, I might have believed the explanations about his behaviour, but having read the whole series, I couldn't quite accept it. He seemed kind of true to form in the first couple of chapters, but turned a bit too tortured whiny soul for me in the rest of the book...
Also, I did not feel that the explanations for the very first scene in the first of the books - which features our hero - felt real. If you read that scene, I cannot accept the reasoning behind it should be what was explained in this book... Sorry ms. Gordon, but that was not the way you wrote it!

Don't get me started on the whole ex-lover plot - which was just plain stupid and really, why did we need it? Why not focus on this arranged marriage? There was quite a lot to focus on, it you ask me! Apparently the bride was scared witless of the groom (but that lasted all of 5 minutes), she also knew that the marital act was painful, and yet she frolics more or less naked with the man every chance she gets...

She hated that people only saw her as a pretty face, at least in the beginning, where she condems our hero every time he calls her beautiful, but then she seems to forget this fact. They have lovely tender friendship-py scenes now and then, and the next minute she raves at him, writes nasty letters to her brother-in-law about him etc... She is just so inconsistent that she made my head spin. No wonder the hero eventually says: enough is enough - I want no more of this!

And lastly. He falls in love with her on first sight (oh, but he knows that she is more than just a pretty face, huh?)... He then proceeds to believe that she is married to his cousin, and yet he still carries a torch for her and remains celibate for 6 years, until they meet again... Why? Why would you not, get on with your life? It made no sense that this man should have remained celibate and in love with a girl he spent all of 12 minutes speaking to 6 years ago... It's not even romantic - it's just plain stupid!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hidden Love, October 14, 2011
To Win His Wayward Wife by Rose Gordon Book 3 of the Scandalous Sisters

Madison Banks was the quiet one. She often stared out the window and daydreamed. She was the most beautiful of the girls but despised being adored for only her beauty. She wanted to be liked for herself as a person not only her outward appearance. Robbie Swift had broken her heart and most people thought that was the reason for her deep sadness.
Years ago she had believed herself in love with Robbie's cousin, Leo. He was a scruffy looking fellow but she felt drawn to him. Now that her two sisters were married to Englishmen, their parents had returned to America to settle their holdings and return to England as well. During a party at Brooke's, and Andrew as her guardian, Robbie Swift makes an appearance. While escaping her she ends up in the a dark area with someone else who will not make himself known. When the town gossip finds Madison coming out with Andrew she accuses them of having an affair. Suddenly Benjamin Collins, Duke of Gateway comes out of the shadows to announce their engagement.

Benjamin has loved Madison for six years. Now he has his chance to make her his own. He could not be happier at their wedding. Unfortunately Madison is not so happy. He is the man who hired Andrew to ruin one of the Bank's girls so they would return to America after all and he had a reputation as being a bad man. So he had to court and woo his wife but it seemed every step of the way he did the wrong thing. On top of it all, Ben thought that Madison was in love with his nemesis, Andrew Black. I love Ben's character. He ends up being such a different man than what he has been portrayed as in the first two books.

Between Robbie trying to get Madison, Ben trying to win her as his wife, Madison fighting to gain a backbone and be heard, and all the other quirks...Rose finishes off this third book in the series as good as the first two. Her humor, adventure and love struggles she gives her characters all come together for a enchanting story.

Her next four books are the Groom Series which look to continue with some of the characters we have already met. Such as their cousin.. the nerdy but handsome scientist..Alexander Banks.

**Contains sexual situations within marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love!!!!!!!!!, November 13, 2011
I am loving Ms. Gordon's book covers so far and that includes this one. Love it! Okay on with the book. I felt for Madison. She has had to live with the consequences of her actions. Madison has secrets from her husband and it is partly due to trust issues. I enjoyed watching Madison's husband assume things. Typical man.It was great to see Madison learn to trust and heal from her past. This story touches on some heartache. But it has it's funny moments as well. I was cracking up when Madison's husband carries her out of the house to the carriage without her shoes. This book does contain a few swear words and a detailed description of the consummation of the marriage. If you don't care for that it is easily skimmed or skipped. This is a great ending to the series. These books also could stand alone. If you like regency pick this up

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY FUNNY, January 10, 2013
I LIKED THE FIRST TWO BOOKS AND JUST HAD TO READ THE REST OF THE SERIES! VERY EXCITING PLOTS AND CHARACTERS!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unlikable Heroine, July 1, 2014
I usually like stories of marriage due to the heroine being compromised but I did not like this book at all. Madison Banks the heroine was a selfish, churlish, brazen hussy that I did not find amusing in the least bit. Benjamin Collins the Duke of Gateway was described as the Dangerous Duke and supposedly feared by the ton for being ruthless. Madison was supposedly afraid of him but she didn't show it. He ended up being a whiny, lovesick fool over a woman who did not deserve his regard or six years of celibacy. I did not believe in their love story at all. The events of the story were all over the place and the conflict with Madison's former lover and Benjamin's cousin Robbie was just ridiculous. No duke would want his cousin's discarded lover. Robbie was portrayed as a complete imbecile but he wasn't so stupid that he couldn't get Madison to have sex with him before marriage. He was described as skinny and not at all attractive, yet the beautiful Madison threw her virtue away on him. The attempt at humor throughout this story fell flat and frankly it was really annoying. Madison was so stubborn and did not trust Benjamin at all and by the time they were locked in the burning dairy and Benjamin got out, I was wishing Madison would go down in flames with the whole building. I honestly believe Madison was in love with her sister Brooke's husband, Andrew and just was never honest enough to admit it. Madison certainly did not love Benjamin and the great reveal of "The Secret" as an explanation of why she was the way she was ended up just being flat. I did not have any sympathy for Madison at all. I wish Benjamin would have just dumped her in the country and taken up with a mistress. That would have been more interesting. Out of the three books in this series this one is a stinker. Don't know how it got all of these good reviews.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Entertaining, May 23, 2013
Hurt, anger, love, passion...An exciting roller coaster ride.
Who ever thought showing you loved was so dificult? Especially when you've done so in secret...for YEARS!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first two, April 16, 2011
I was totally looking forward to Madison's story, but for some reason this tale fell flat for me. It's still a very good read, but not quite up to snuff. Gateway's characterization in this story does a complete 180, and I guess I can buy that given we've only been apprised of his character through Andrew and Brooke, but it does feel like he gets off entirely too easily as the misunderstood hero. Madison flares to life in this story, but the conflicts between the hero and heroine feel overdone. She too easily submits to his paranoid commands, and the final conflict is just silly and overdrawn. I didn't even feel sorry for Gateway like I should. While it's nice to have the hero completely in love with a heroine who is unaware of his affections, Gateway seemed more like a pouting princess who expected his wife to obey his every command just because they were married. At least this conclusively ends the trilogy, and it's not bad despite its flaws. Still, I am really looking forward to Alexander's story.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Win HIs Wayward Wife by Rose Gordon, January 10, 2013
Summary:

I just love the way Rose Gordon goes about getting her couples to meet and continue their on and off courtship.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, terrible sentence structure with many typos and miswordings., January 20, 2012
Gail "Gail" (CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I like the story, haven't quite finished it yet, but every few sentences words are missing or misplaced.....I have to reword the sentences to even understand them. No mention of this in other reviews, so wondering if I have a rogue download to my Kindle here?