5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Benjamin Don't Miss A Beat
Published on August 29, 2004 by A. Estes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as "Saturate", but still worth a listen
I'd been waiting and waiting for this album to come out. I mean WAITING. I was so convinced that I'd have to wait another year, that I almost forgot about it until I heard the crushing song "So Cold" on the radio for the first time. If you read my review for the first BB record, you'd know that I gave it nothing but praise. Well, now that I've had the new album for a...
Published on August 31, 2004 by Mattballz, your friendly neigh...

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Benjamin Don't Miss A Beat, August 29, 2004
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
Breaking Benjamin seemed to come out of nowhere with their 2002 debut, "Saturate." Their seemingly effortless knack for combining larger than life riffs and beautiful melodies were enough to win over anyone who was willing to listen. And now, just two years later, they follow up with an album that, shockingly, improves upon what was already in place with their debut. Everything you liked about Breaking Benjamin is still here, just taken to the next level; The anthems are more powerful and the ballads more potent. The first single, and opening track, the slow-burning "So Cold" gets "We Are Not Alone" off to a good start, as all eleven tracks go by with ease. "Sooner Or Later," "Break My Fall" and "Simple Design" are the standard for Breaking Benjamin, heavy but sensitive, while other riff rockers like "Breakdown" and "Believe" take things up a notch. Also of note is the band's collaboration with Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins/Zwan) on three tracks: "Follow Me" and the two stand-out ballads "Rain" and "Forget It." Maybe I'm biased, being a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan for so long, but these three songs are easily the high-points of an already incredible album. I really can't say anything bad about this release. Breaking Benjamin did nothing but improve. Their debut was extremely mature for a new band, and the fact that they can put out something even better for their sophmore release means that the next album from these guys will blow everyone away. If you loved their debut or just rock music in general, you owe it to yourself to pick up "We Are Not Alone."

4.0 out of 5 stars Benjamin, Smashing!, October 23, 2004
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
Well, wadd'ya know. After one promising album, Breaking Benjamin tighten up and refine their sound for a superb second album, and befriend Smashing Pumpkin Billy Corgan. Although "Saturate" had the occasional lighter musical touch, "We Are Not Alone" find the BB's really getting into the dynamics of recording. Even the rocking first single "So Cold" shows that they have figured out how to use the studio as an instrument. It still rips like a locomotive, but has a solid sense of texture. So does "Breakdown," which rocks hard but also includes a seriously catchy chorus.

Most indicative of this band's growth are "Forget It" and "Rain." Two of the songs co-written by Corgan, they are the ballads that find lead singer Benjamin Burnley jettisoning his nu-metal growl and actually singing. (They're also 10 times better than anything on Corgan's over-hyped Zwan project.) It makes for a grandiose touch to "Rain" and makes "Forget It" sound like a hit single. It also helps guitar hero in the making Aaron Fink show off his range on both the electric to acoustic leads. Breaking Benjamin beat the sophomore jinx here, and remain a band to watch.

(...)

5.0 out of 5 stars WANA - It rocks!, August 6, 2004
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
This album is a prime example of what a band should be...dynamic and not static. With all four members of the band contributing to the music, with some help from Billy Corgan formerly of Smashing Pumpkins, you can hear the band coming into their own. While not as hard and edgy as their first album "Saturate", the melodic heaviness on WANA leaves the listener wanting more. There is certainly nothing lacking from album to album. It shows the true talent of vocalist/guitarist/lyricist Ben Burnley as he explores new options in his vocal range. Aaron Fink shows off his writing ability in the hard driving "Believe". Jeremy Hummel and Markus James, drummer and bassist respectively, keep the bass section as a part of each song, not as a backdrop. The songs "Simple Design", "Breakdown" and "Away", the three other heaviest songs, speak for themselves. "Rain" and "Forget It", the two slow songs co-written by Corgan, show a unique sensitive side not normally associated with Breaking Benjamin. The remaining songs are "So Cold", "Follow", "Firefly", "Break My Fall" and "Sooner or Later" are all somewhere in between as far as decibal wise, but they are all amazing songs reflecting the band's showmanship. In fact, listening to "Saturate" and "WANA" back to back makes for interesting listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars You ARE alone, because you're that underrated, November 17, 2005
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
First off, I have to say that the person that claims that Breaking Benjamin are instructing you to swallow scissors and rob liquor stores needs to invest in a life. Anyway, I didn't know before I came onto this site that We Are Not Alone isn't the band's first album, but at any rate, it ain't bad.

Before hearing this album, the only song I was familiar with was "So Cold". That song is still a highlight, as is "Firefly". But even better than that is when you get to the middle of the album, where you get a great three-in-a-row: "Break My Fall", "Forget It", and my favorite, "Sooner or Later".

The only really negative thing to say about this album is that there are some otherwise good songs that have okay choruses, like "Simple Design" and especially "Rain". But those things don't stand in the way of this great album, and avid fans of hard rock shouldn't regret discovering Breaking Benjamin if they haven't already.

Anthony Rupert

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Benjamin Rocks, July 16, 2005
1) So Cold 10/10 - simply amazing

2) Simple Design 9/10 - great chorus, very catchy

3) Follow 10/10 - i love this song, ben has a great voice in this song

4) Firefly 10/10 - first song from this album i heard....fell in love with it first time i heard it

5) Break My Fall 10/10 - i love the chorus...

6) Forget It 6/10 - forget it....not worth listening to

7) Sooner Or Later 10/10 - probably me 3rd fav song on here

8) Breakdown 9/10 - i love the beggining..where its soft music...then u hear "BREAKDOWN!!!"

9) Away 10/10 - omg fricken awesome....2nd fav song

10) Believe 6/10 - somthing bout it i dont like

11) Rain 7/10 - dont like it....but its a nice way to change the pace in the album

yea this album is awesome.....breaking benjamin is like royalty to me...considering i am more into hip-hop....but BREAKING BENJAMIN = ROYALTY

4.0 out of 5 stars "Just Fade Away...Please Let Me Stay...", October 9, 2005
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
The three best songs on this Cd are "Forget it" , "Rain" and "Break My Fall" This was the first Breaking Benjamin disc I had a chance to listen to. I must say I am more than impressed. I thought I had long since forgotten bands like Breaking Benjamin. I usually put all bands in NU METAL/New Age AltRock category together. BB manage to take a step away from it by making complex interesting music with a lot of heart. I would also go as far as saying "Forget It" is the best song I have heard this year(2005) although I know the album was released last year. The kind of melody in emotion the song shows is something that has lasted me more than 600 listens (not exaggerating).

_Forget It_ is the kind of song I'd play repeatedly until I have to completely stop listening to the music. I read somewhere that Corgan worked with them on this track. "Break My Fall" is catchy,fast and accurate. The song doesnt skip a beat and can be played repeatedly too. "Rain" is a simple beautiful song if you look beyond the lack of irony on it. It's very different to the theme of the album but then so is "forget it"

When I first heard the disc, I liked "So Cold" a lot because it has one of the amazing vocals to kick the album off. This album misses out on the five star tag due to lack of variation in sound on the remainder of tracks. It's perhaps the inexperience. All songs are well produced and the album cover's a bit out of place.

Overall Grade - 7/10

PS - Buy this for Forget It. I'm sure you wont regret it. Kill me if you do. Also check out "Incubus's A Crow Left Of the Murder"

5.0 out of 5 stars This is censored?, December 17, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
It was a few weeks after I bought this CD that I realized it was not the original version of the album. Unlike, say, Eminem, Breaking Benjamin has put effort into making the edited version of "We Are Not Alone" sound every bit as good as the explisite version, if not better. Highly recommended! This has some awesome songs. The first song, So Cold, has been tearing up the radio recently, u've probably heard it. It has some powerful riffs, but it isn't the best song on the disc. From Simple Design to Forget It, the album gets steadily softer, shifting into a more ballad-esque style. The tone of the record really transforms at the other huge highlight, Breakdown, which is, if not heavy metal, then at least hard rock. Away and Believe follow similar patterns. The closer, Rain, is my least favorite song, but it's still worthwhile. I suggest buying the entire album (and for goodness' sakes, the clean version), but ill rate the individual tracks below if u want to download them from iTunes etcetera:

-So Cold (10/10)

-Breakdown (10/10)

-Away (10/10)

-Believe (10/10)

-Rain (7/10)

If u like this CD u will probably also like Breaking Benjamin's EP release "So Cold", which has live versions of So Cold (on acoustic), Away, and Believe, as well as a song from Halo 2 called Blow Me Away. And as a bonus, they threw in a song called Ladybug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Benjamin's Sophmore Album, June 28, 2005
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
Now this CD is just as good if not better than the debit album 'Saturate'. I'm an alt rock, heavy rock and nu-metal fan and this album 'We Are Not Alone' is a smashing hit. This CD has 1 flaw but the rest is refreshingly good. The first song 'So Cold is one of the best alt rock songs I have heard since Fuel's 'Bittersweet'. The video clip that is enhanced on this CD once you play it on your CD-ROM is breath-taking and a winner. I am now hooked on Breaking Benjamin and a fan. Wow. Another good song is 'Firefly' which is sung perfectly. The song 'Sooner or Later' was my personal favourite of this CD with a pure rock sound and the guitar in this song was exceptional. The only song I didn't like and I felt didn't suit this album was the last track 'Rain'. That was the only flaw in an otherwise wonderful sophmore album.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, September 4, 2004
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
I heard these guys for the first time on MTV the other night and came here immediately after watching the "So Cold" video! Went out and bought the cd the next day and let me tell you the rest of the album holds up its end. This CD rocks!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars .............Wow...................., October 16, 2005
O2 (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are Not Alone (Audio CD)
I heard good things about their debut album, but can't say much personally since their sophomore is the only one I own. So here we go. My two favorite tracks are 'Firefly' and 'Rain'. 'Firefly' is great in its beats and lyrics, and 'Rain', dear God what a ballad. I'm hooked. The only warning I have is DON'T listen to the paralental advisory on the front. It has no reason to be there. They only say the 'f' word a couple of times and it's not even in every song. Geeze, that committee really needs to get a life.

We Are Not Alone [Explicit]