Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 1, 2008
Usually when an artist releases a new album within a year of their previous album, the result feels like a hack job. But DJ Khaled's latest album We the Best is better than I expected.

By now, I'm sure everyone's familiar with "We Takin' Over" (but isn't T.I. rapping the exact same way he was rapping in Justin Timberlake's "My Love"?). Anyway, there are still better songs than that, like Beanie Sigel's "Before the Solution" and Bone's aptly titled "The Originators". The best track, however, would have to be "Hit Them Up" by Bun-B and Paul Wall.

But there are more cons than pros, hence the three-star rating. As dope as the chorus to Birdman and Lil' Wayne's "S on My Chest" is, I can't say the same about the verses. And there are a few songs featuring Trick Daddy, and although HE sounds dope, I can't say the same for the rest of the featured rappers, as especially shown on "I'm So Hood". "Bitch I'm from Dade County" features the usually wack Rick Ross as well as producer Dre (of Cool & Dre), who STILL hasn't learned that he isn't a rapper. Another mistake is the obligatory song for the kiddies, "I'm from the Ghetto", featuring the Game (showcasing yet another name-dropping verse) and Jadakiss. Speaking of Kiss, his collabo with Fat Joe and Ja Rule, "New York" (the basis for 50 Cent's "Piggy Bank"), is at least two years old, so why is it even here?

Another thing is, well, I understand that Khaled is a DJ, but he DOES spend a little too much time talking and doing his usual shout-outs (although he isn't as annoying as Clue -- by the way, where IS he?). We the Best will easily rock a party, but as I often say, B.I.F.

Anthony Rupert

P.S. One thing that's always bothered me: people get mad at Latin singers like Jennifer Lopez when they use the "n" word, but how come they don't get mad at Latin RAPPERS like Fat Joe for doing the same thing? (And how about Khaled himself when HE does it, and he's Palestinian?)
VINE VOICEon July 19, 2007
"DJ" Khaled's sophomore effort is pretty easy to break down. Dude is trying too hard to come off hard and it's having the opposite effect on him. He looks more and more lame after every track. It's albums like this that make me say that rap is a lot like pro wrestling -- exaggerated and fake. "Brown Paper Bag" features Young Jeezy, Juelz Santana, Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Lil' Wayne & Dre (of Cool & Dre) on what is easily the corniest song of '07. I mean, have you ever seen or heard a guy trying so hard to prove how hard they are that they end up sounding or looking like a clown? Well that song, and so many of the other tracks on this album are like that. That's what makes this album so silly. Some will say I'm hating on the south, but this album could've come from Canada and it would've still been terrible. I'm still on my crusade to have Rick Ross placed in front of a firing squad because he's been garbage from day one. He alone is responsible for 3 or 4 songs going from "okay" to "doo doo" and he almost ruined "We Takin' Over". Anything Rick Ross doesn't destroy gets finished off by Baby aka Birdman. Him and Ross manage to soil too many songs to make purchasing this a good idea. It would also help a lot if Khaled would quit screaming "we the best" on every track. I'm not talking like once or twice either. He starts almost every song off with it and there are tracks where he says it at least 10 times. Another gripe of mine is that the large number of guests seems like overkill. Again, he's trying too hard.

The best songs on the album are the ones where Khaled abandons the formula and tries something different. Despite a hit and miss hook and Khaled's constant yapping, I found "Before The Solution" quite enjoyable after hearing Beanie Sigel unload over some dope production. "The Originators" is another interesting track that features Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. The problem with the good songs is that Khaled has to run his mouth for 45 seconds before the start of every song.

We The Best is actually one of the worst releases of 2007. It's generic, recycled material that anyone with even a little bit of common sense can see right through. Generic, thoughtless song titles, drugs, guns, jewels, lame rappers....I mean, this is straight up by the book factory rap. I see why he calls himself Beat Novakane now....my brain feels numb after hearing this. I recommend downloading the singles and steering clear of this sorry excuse for an album.

Standout Tracks: We Takin' Over (Remix) feat. Akon, R. Kelly, T-Pain, Lil Kim & Young Jeezy, Hit 'Em Up feat. Bun B & Paul Wall, The Originators feat. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, and We Takin' Over feat. T.I., Akon, Birdman, Lil' Wayne, Fat Joe & Rick Ross
on June 15, 2007
I was introduced to DJ Khaled when I looked in the liner notes of the CD that he released last year entitled "Listenn! The Album". It was there when I found out that he was also known as Beat Novacane, who produced tracks on various Fat Joe releases. "Listenn! The Album" was basically a mixtape that DJ Khaled released through Koch Records. However, he only produced 3 out of 17 tracks and one of those were the "Intro". The CD was driven by the lead single, "Holla At Me Baby" which featured Lil Wayne, Paul Wall, Rick Ross, Fat Joe & Pitbull, "Problem" which featured Beanie Sigel and Jadakiss and was one of the tracks that DJ Khaled actually produced, "Grammy Family" which featured Kanye West, Consequence and John Legend and "Born And Raised" which featured Trick Daddy, Rick Ross & Pitbull. There were other tracks that you could listen to other than these 4, but they just weren't as memorable or you had tracks where the artists were good artists they just didn't bring their "A" game to the tracks.

In January, yeah that's right, January I heard the track "We Takin' Over". It featured TI, Akon, Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Birdman and Lil Wayne. All of these artists, with the exception of Akon, were featured on Fat Joe's remix to "Make It Rain", so that is probably right around the same time when they made this track. Danja, who has co-produced pretty much anything Timbaland has worked on lately, produced the track which will still end up being the rap track for the summer unless you want to pop, lock and drop it for 3 months.

DJ Khaled's 2nd CD is entitled "We The Best" but it's pretty much "Listenn! The Album Volume 2". You get the same artists: Rick Ross, who delivers a decent intro this time around, Trick Daddy, Lil Wayne, Fat Joe, Trina, Styles P., Young Jeezy and Bun B, who were all featured on "Listenn!". The only person missing is Pitbull who was featured on atleast 2 tracks last time around. The 2nd best track is "Brown Paper Bag" which features Young Jeezy, Juelz Santana, Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Lil Wayne and Dre of Cool & Dre. The track would be better if it wasn't for someone squealing "Broooown Paper Baaaag" on the hook (Tony Sunshine). I am not sure whose idea that was but they should have reconsidered their thoughts if they thought that was a nice hook. However, the Cool & Dre production and the artists' chemistry on the track will make you forget about the hook. "Before The Solution" features Beanie Sigel and is 1 of the 2 tracks that DJ Khaled produces on "We The Best". The other track is the Rick Ross featured "Intro". "Before The Solution" has Beanie Sigel bringing up several events like Jay-Z not showing up to visit him in prison, what's up with State Property, etc. The only problem is that Beanie is not talking about the topics 100% because he is supposedly saving the rest of the details for his new CD, "The Solution", like it's a sneak preview or something. The track is nice and so are Beanie's lyrics, you just will wish that Beanie presented everything in a different format. "I'm So Hood" features Trick Daddy, Rick Ross, T-Pain and Plies, who I originally heard on a track with Trick Daddy entitled "Duck Down" and who currently has the MTV Jam of the week with "Shawty", a track that features Plies with T-Pain on the hook. "I'm So Hood" is definitely in the top 5 on "We The Best" as all of the artists give good performances on the track from The Runners and T-Pain actually brings flavor from the track because he isn't in love with a stripper. "B**** I'm From Dade County" features Trick Daddy, Trina, Rick Ross, Dre from Cool & Dre, Brisco, Flo rida and C-Ride. The track samples 2 lines that Trick Daddy had on "Born And Raised" and is actually a tight song. If it had been cut down by 2 minutes the track would have even been better. The Runners also produce "Hit Them Up" which features Bun-B, who definitely has a nice verse and Paul Wall. Bun B and his partner Pimp C (UGK) also has one of the best songs out right now with Outkast with the "International Player's Anthem".

There are other tracks that are worth listening to like "New York" which features Jadakiss, Fat Joe and Ja-Rule, yes that Ja-Rule and the bonus track "No Hook" which features Styles P., Cassidy, Jim Jones and Rob Cash and even Shareefa, who was a "Boss" and ready to not "Cry No More" earlier this year, represents on the bonus track, "The Streets", which also features Willie Northpole.

However, there are some tracks that you'll be trying to figure out or wonder to yourself Why? as well. First we have "I'm From The Ghetto" which features The Game, Jadakiss, Trick Daddy and I'll assume Tony Sunshine on a Cool & Dre track. The lyrics aren't that bad but the cheesy chorus has to go. Another thing that will turn you off is that the track is put into a Jaheim "Fabolous", we made it out of the ghetto type format. I tried listening to this track again to see if it would grow on me, but it didn't work. Next up, is Lil Wayne and Birdman on "S" On My Chest". Lil Wayne has made 2 Carter CDs and a nice mixtape with "Dedication 2". I expect better from him than this. He's becoming too much of a hit and miss rapper. The dope cuts are nice but the bad tracks aren't even average. Last and maybe least is "The Originators" with Bone Thugs N Harmony. At times, you get the BTNH of old and with this track you get the why are they even still rappin' stage. Fellas you have a new CD out called "Strength & Loyalty". However, this track will make you want to leave the CD on the shelf.

Overall, "We The Best" has its moments. However, with the quality of the artists, you just expect better. Some artists are featured on various tracks on this CD but they don't bring their "A" game on every track they are featured on. If you collect CDs like I do you may want certain songs so you should buy this. However, if you are looking for a CD that you can listen to 5 years from now you may want to leave this one on the rack.

P.S. How many times can you say "Listenn!!!" and "We The Best" on one CD, DJ Khaled? We get the point.

James' Top 5

Hit Them Up
No Hook
New York
VINE VOICEon July 19, 2007
"DJ" Khaled's sophomore effort is pretty easy to break down. Dude is trying to hard to come off hard and it's having the opposite effect on him. He looks more and more lame after every track. It's albums like this that make me say that rap is a lot like pro wrestling -- exaggerated and fake. "Brown Paper Bag" features Young Jeezy, Juelz Santana, Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Lil' Wayne & Dre (of Cool & Dre) on what is easily the corniest song of '07. I mean, have you ever seen or heard a guy trying so hard to prove how hard they are that they end up sounding or looking like a clown? Well that song, and so many of the other tracks on this album are like that. That's what makes this album so silly. Some will say I'm hating on the south, but this album could've come from Canada and I would've still been terrible. I'm still on my crusade to have Rick Ross placed in front of a firing squad because he's been garbage from day one. He alone is responsible for 3 or 4 songs going from "okay" to "doo doo" and he almost ruined "We Takin' Over". Anything Rick Ross doesn't destroy gets finished off by Baby aka Birdman. Him and Ross manage to soil too many songs to make purchasing this a good idea. It would also help a lot if Khaled would quit screaming "we the best" on every track. I'm not talking like once or twice either. He starts almost every song off with it and there are tracks where he says it at least 10 times. Another gripe of mine is that the large number of guests seems like overkill. Again, he's trying too hard.

The best songs on the album are the ones where Khaled abandons tries something different. Despite a hit and miss hook and Khaled's constant yapping, I found "Before The Solution" quite enjoyable after hearing Beanie Sigel unload over some dope production. "The Originators" is another interesting track that features Bone Thugs-N-Harmony. The problem with the good songs is that Khaled has to run his mouth for 45 seconds before the start of every song.

on June 12, 2007
DJ Khaled's album is a short enough affair that it's pretty hard to hate on. Featuring 12 tracks, one of which is an intro(but features a decent verse from Rick Ross) and another a 22 second intro to the lead single, We Takin' Over, this album is short enough that the replay value is moderately high, but the album never really reaches its intentions.

While Khaled assembles an all star cast of emcees and producers(mostly Southern), a lot of the work on the album just doesn't seem up to par of most of the artists. The first three (real) tracks are exceptions to this rule, as they're all ill posse cuts, featuring tight production and nice verses from most of the artists involved. "S" On My Chest is as good as anything that was on Weezy and Baby's Like Father, Like Son, and Hit 'Em Up is another dope collaboration from Texas heavyweights, Bun B and Paul Wall.

Unfortunately, some of the most promising cuts are the most dissapointing. Originators featuring Bone Thugs-N-Harmony feels so bland; after hearing Bone return to form on Strengh & Loyalty, Originators hardly does the trio justice, as the beat is generic synth-fair, and none of the Bone brothers(even Krayzie) sound too inspired. New York had the potential to be a huge attempt at bringing New York back, as the sequel to Ja Rule's 2004 single. Unfortunately, this track isn't NEARLY as dope as that one, despite featuring the same producers and artists. New York ends up being the Grammy Family of this album, as it was the track with the most potential that ultimately failed. Jadakiss' verse is still tight though.

Other tracks such as From The Ghetto and Dade County aren't neccessarily dissapointing(although Game's verse was on the former), but they aren't as tight as they should have been. Dade County simply has far too many guests(with too many weak verses), while From The Ghetto usually dope rappers not abiding by their own standards, and a very weak hook. The beat is also tedious on both of the tracks. Before the Solution is hardly worth mentioning, as Beanie basically advertising his upcoming album and not a whole lot more.

Overall, featuring four genuinely tight tracks, and a couple decent ones save this album. It's short length also helps. While it's not as good as most fans expected it to be, it's decent enough, and worth picking up.
on July 3, 2007
I bought this CD on the strength of "We Takin' Over" and feel like a fool for that. I should know better than making an impulse buy just from hearing one song on the radio BUT I gave this CD the benefit of the doubt because of it being a "mixtape", therefore increasing the odds that it wouldn't be crap. Alright Khaled, Khaleed, whatever your name is, you got me. All you do is scream "N" this and "N" that as well as saying "We The Best At This"!! At what? Definitely not making a good album. This is coaster material. Save your money.
on June 13, 2007
The overall tone of this album, if not painstakingly clear, is that there are producers/rappers/"artists" in this world, and those present are "The Best." This idea is reiterated to you over, and over, song after song.

It seems like "The Best" define themselves:

1. Without any verbs (would it be so hard to say "We 'are' the best"?

2. With tracks such as "Brown Paper Bag," "I'm So Hood," & "I'm From the Ghetto," speak absolutely nothing about how they make album after compilation album, and have nothing to do with this "rough life" that is being portrayed. We see your yacht, "ice," and rims, I'm sure you don't sell highly illegal substances anymore, or live in the ghetto anymore.

3. In case you forget, just about every song has the same, high-pitched voiced guy come on and quote, "We the Best," "DJ Khaled aka (insert variation or alias)," and whoever raps on the specific track. The few exceptions have only a minimal of this flagrant, annoying avertising, such as "Hit 'em Up," "'S' On My Chest," & "Fed's Taking Pictures."

4. Coincidentally, these three tracks are probably the best tracks off of the 10 song album, (1 intro, and 1 skit).

5. If they decided to actually make a track, rather than make an advertisement with beats behind it, then maybe this album could actually have some value.

This was a highly disappointing album. You would think with this much producing diversity, and only having the job of picking beats to put on your album, that a higher quality compilation would be put out. Once again, when I listen to an album, I do not want to hear the album name, the producers, guest artists, & aliases repeatedly. I can read the track info.
on August 30, 2007
This is really a great CD. I dont understand all the negative reviews. I've been listening to a few of his mixtapes recently and was qutie impressed so I bought the CD. It flew way beyond my expectations. Every song on here is good. And because theres so many different beats, and different rappers on each song, it really keeps your attention all the way to the end. A lot of the best rappers out right now can be heard on this CD. Definetely a must-buy for any real fan of good modern rap. Heres a few of my favorites:

We Takin Over
I'm So Hood
B*tch, Im From Dade County
Im From The Ghetto

Just those 4 songs alone are worth the $15
on August 21, 2007
Although there are a couple tracks on this CD that area "listen" worthy, DJ Khaled's over zealous way of getting on each and every track by screaming "We The Best" every five seconds gets highly annoying after the first couple tracks. The artist hold this CD together..not the beats or the DJ!!
on June 12, 2007
Dj Khaled (Khaled Khaled) is a mixtape Dj and occasional rapper and member of Fat Joe's Terror Squad. He released his debut album "Listennn" in 2006 and the album was quite successful. On the surface it looked just like another Dj with many friends, but what differed that album from other simular is that all the guests and producer that appeared on it where actually delivering some of their better beats and raps. And when half of the Hip Hop world appears on an album it's defenitely worth checking out!. Dj Khaled himself doesn't appear much and infact he's barely noticed but it's the beats and guests that made his debut good. The same happens on his sophmore album where great producers like Danja, The Runners, Cool & Dre, Scott Storch and Diaz Brothers appear and the beats are always good aswell as there is loads of good guests here too. You can say it's a recycled formula of his debut. First single "We Takin Over" is a good exmple of what is coming where Danja delivers the beats and T.I., Akon, Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Birdman & Lil' Wayne. 6 guests on the same song that is!. That song got some of the most catchy beats around, and the rest of the album isn't much weaker either. Cool & Dre produced "Brown Paper Bag" samples Yvonne Elliman's disco hit "If I Can't Have You" With Lil' Wayne, Young Jeezy, Juelz Santana, Rick Ross, Dre & Fat Joe is just as good and the album continues like that til it ends. Unfortunately it's very short with only 10 real songs and the lyrics is not it's strenght where few songs have any interesting ideas. But that's beyond the point. Dj Khaled and friends deliver an album for the clubs with great production and many good guest appearences and it's difficult to put any focus on lyrics when several rappers share rhymes on the same song. What annoys me is that Dj Khaled is introduced on almost every song and that he never really appears even if this is his own album. Having said that, take it as it is, A good album for the clubs and nothing else.
44 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse