5.0 out of 5 stars Wow
This is perhaps the most relevant movie I have ever seen on the subject of modern society and the internet. That's an understatement. I wondered at some points if this was a mockumentary, since the claims were unbeleivable, and I'd never even heard of Media-God Josh Harris or his insane experiments. Its not. This man is a founding father of our internet age, for...
Published on March 16, 2010 by Jamison "Cold-Cuts" Plush

1.0 out of 5 stars The Jim Jones Of Cyberspace
We Live In Public

If one day, dear reader, you wake up and after tea, coffee or whatever breakfast nutrition takes your fancy, you suddenly experience a deep and abiding desire to plumb the worst excesses of the dot com craze, including the subsequent crash and burn that cut the market value of the Nasdaq in half from a level it hasn't even begun to approach in...
Published on July 1, 2011 by Robert Taylor Brewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Film, June 11, 2014
I love this film. I saw this twice. This film evolved over 20 years and I heard the director speak about this film. Over 5000 hours of footage was edited down into this riveting, interesting film of a guy doing things in the 1990's that was unusual at the time but now in the present world of social media, Facebook, Twitter, it isn't too far off of what the future held.

This film draws you in right from the beginning when the main character is shown in a video he sent to his dying mother...rather than go visit her at the hospital before she dies, he sends her a video. Then it goes on a roller coaster journey of having this guy make and lose a fortune, get fired because he likes to wear clown suits to work, and a strange social experiment where 100 people live together and anything they want is given to them (including drugs and guns) and the only rule is everything is filmed 24 hours a day including going to the bathroom, having sex, fights, etc. Then he wires his home so people can watch him and his girlfriend and cat live their lives online. This footage is the original Reality TV show that is more reality and less scripted then the stuff being called reality television today.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNBELIEVABLE, December 18, 2013
Genius? Crazypants? Lonely guy? Arrogant bastard?

Ondi Timoner captures every facet of her subject, Josh Harris, and his complicated relationships with tech, art, and other human beings.

Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 11, 2013
This is a wonderfully crafted film exposing the dark and complex ways our lives change in the era of social media.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will blow your mind!, May 10, 2013
After watching this documentary, my entire view of the world changed and I began top develop a better understanding of how cyberspace is going to change our lives. The substance of this movie may be difficult for some people to handle or understand, but I'd urge you to give it a try and to try to grasp what this interesting man was attempting to do, and what he accurately realized about the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Started off strong but declined, December 10, 2012
This movie was all about the dot com era. I thought I would see more on entrepreneurship, but it showcased the life of a aspiring star. Definitely not a unique story. It was just ok.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and insightful update to the Stanford Prison experiment, November 30, 2012
Shocking, weird and insightful: this documentary gives a strange look at human behavior and encourages you to question your perception of self identity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!, October 14, 2012
I don't know how I didn't hear about this documentary sooner, but like the introduction says: "This is the story of the greatest internet pioneer you've never heard of."
So worth watching!!! I've brought it up in conversation with just about every friend I've met up with since seeing it. It's haunting. It's amazing what Josh Harris was able to foresee. It keeps you thinking about your own internet use and your own willingness to sacrifice privacy and personal connections well after the film is over.
I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have see on privacy, June 10, 2012
This review is from: We Live In Public (DVD)
This movie is a must have if you're interested in privacy, or the ill affects of social networking. Social networking is a social disease, this movie shows you why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheers to Ondi, April 17, 2012
This review is from: We Live In Public (DVD)
Ondi's film is significant as a slice of history that captures how a neurosis and technology led to a lucrative career. Internet visionary Josh Harris was raised on episodes of "Gilligan's Island" to fill a void left by absent parents. When the Internet arrived, the intimacy of a virtual family was a perfect fit and the intersection spawned a lucrative career. And there's the question Josh raises, are we "...all going to wake up and realize we're just servants -- It's captured us." Cheers to Ondi. What an amazing 10-year effort, worthy of a permanent collection MoMA NY.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expect the Unexpected, April 2, 2011
This review is from: We Live In Public (DVD)
I had no idea what to expect when I watched this documentary. It details the story of an early web entrepreneur who achieved a lot of success in the internet pre-bubble age. The rest of the movie shows how he blows up all of his earnings and loses it all to become an average Joe. There are so many things that he does that don't make sense. I guess if I were in his shoes I would have done things so much differently. Oh well, I guess the pressure might have been different back then. Watch if you have the time...

We Live in Public