Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on August 23, 2010
This documentary was quite chilling and while I might not go as far as to say that the web is creating slavery, some of the points made in the movie from Josh Harris are compelling. Think of this movie as a physical representation of the Internet (Or TV, a little bit of both). People are put in pods (their rooms) where everything they do is on a channel. People had no privacy and in a short time their personalities changed, this aspect of constant surveillance (anybody can watch anybody) creates problems for the human brain and how we deal with our own social problems. If that one aspect of the technology was removed though, would it be slavery? Who knows, it's really up to you. ^_^
on October 14, 2012
I don't know how I didn't hear about this documentary sooner, but like the introduction says: "This is the story of the greatest internet pioneer you've never heard of."
So worth watching!!! I've brought it up in conversation with just about every friend I've met up with since seeing it. It's haunting. It's amazing what Josh Harris was able to foresee. It keeps you thinking about your own internet use and your own willingness to sacrifice privacy and personal connections well after the film is over.
I highly recommend it.
on December 18, 2013
Genius? Crazypants? Lonely guy? Arrogant bastard?

Ondi Timoner captures every facet of her subject, Josh Harris, and his complicated relationships with tech, art, and other human beings.

Would highly recommend.
on April 17, 2012
Ondi's film is significant as a slice of history that captures how a neurosis and technology led to a lucrative career. Internet visionary Josh Harris was raised on episodes of "Gilligan's Island" to fill a void left by absent parents. When the Internet arrived, the intimacy of a virtual family was a perfect fit and the intersection spawned a lucrative career. And there's the question Josh raises, are we "...all going to wake up and realize we're just servants -- It's captured us." Cheers to Ondi. What an amazing 10-year effort, worthy of a permanent collection MoMA NY.
on September 26, 2011
As someone who lived and worked all the way through the entire rise of the Internet, in the heart of the whole thing (Silicon Valley), I can say without any doubt that the only thing this "documentary" shows is how little NYC had to do with anything related to the Internet.

This terrible waste of time has just about the most horrendous editing you will ever see, made worse by the fact that the creators probably thought they were being artistic, when in fact it's just embarrassingly bad attempt.

The content and subjects of the movie can be described in the same way.

The movie in 50 words or less:

Guy makes money selling an IRC client in the 90s. Noobs call him genius. No one else notices. Some time passes. A warehouse is filled with attention whore do-anything-for-fame types. They have sex and poop in front of cameras. New York adds nothing to the Internet. The end.
on April 2, 2011
I had no idea what to expect when I watched this documentary. It details the story of an early web entrepreneur who achieved a lot of success in the internet pre-bubble age. The rest of the movie shows how he blows up all of his earnings and loses it all to become an average Joe. There are so many things that he does that don't make sense. I guess if I were in his shoes I would have done things so much differently. Oh well, I guess the pressure might have been different back then. Watch if you have the time...
on December 10, 2012
This movie was all about the dot com era. I thought I would see more on entrepreneurship, but it showcased the life of a aspiring star. Definitely not a unique story. It was just ok.
on March 22, 2015
Scary as hell. The man who foresaw it all- reality TV and the internet as an integral part of our lives is part genius and part mad man. Great to show students.
on November 30, 2012
Shocking, weird and insightful: this documentary gives a strange look at human behavior and encourages you to question your perception of self identity.
on June 11, 2013
This is a wonderfully crafted film exposing the dark and complex ways our lives change in the era of social media.