Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$11.49

on November 16, 2005
"We Must Believe In Magic" was originally released in mid 1977, & commercially, it was a breakthrough album for Crystal--it peaked at #12 on the Billboard charts & was certified platinum within a year of its original release, largely thanks to the huge, million-selling hit "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue". The album really did deserve the success, because most of the album is great, displaying Crystal at her best--as ever, her vocals are consistently sumptuous, & although she didn't write anything here, her expressiveness is one-of-a-kind & she consistently comes up with just the right treatment to get maximum impact from each track--in other words, she very much makes the songs her own. The aforementioned "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" opens the album--it's somewhat jazz-flavored and it's wonderfully breezy with an irresistible rolling piano part, and it's melancholy, yet not depressing--as good as it is, don't let its commercial success fool you... Not only are there a bunch of other great songs here, but the album is also impressively varied--there's the amusingly dramatic "River Road", the stomping bluesy rocker "Green Door", the wistful ballad "Make A Dream Come True", the somewhat frantic Cole Porter cover "It's All Right With Me", the stately, otherworld-ish title track with hypnotic wordless vocals from Crystal, & the punchy, somewhat sneering "All I Wanna Do In Life", all of which are gems. As much credit as Crystal herself deserves, you also can't deny the excellent job by producer Allen Reynolds--there's lots of neat stuff going on like the clanking percussion, flutes, & phasing on "All I Wanna Do In Life", the cool orchestration on "Make A Dream Come True", a combination of fiddle and biting guitar on "It's All Right With Me", & Moog synthesizer (and god knows what else) on the title track. The weakest track is the somewhat ho-hum ballad "Going Down Slow", but it's still got the cool interplay of the phased guitar line & the orchestration. I have a complaint with this album, & it's the same complaint I have with so many of Crystal's albums--it's too darn short!! Clocking in right around half an hour, it really cries out for a couple more songs. Yes, I'd rather have half an hour of great material than 15 minutes of great material & 25 minutes of dreck--I'm not denying the consistent high quality of this album, but it is on the short side. Still though, this is a highly recommended album. Plus, the album sleeve with the checker-board style of the photograph of Crystal with her increasingly ultra-long hair is smile-inducing. Don't expect to find the Razor & Tie label's CD release of this album at a low price. Tracks from this album regularly crop up on Crystal compilation CDs of which there are a LOT. There are also a lot of vinyl copies around that you can probably get at a very reasonable price so you can hear ALL of the tracks from the album in their original running order. "We Must Believe In Magic" is a great showcase for one of the most sublime vocalists of all time, Crystal Gayle.
Crystal Gayle became a household name with her album "We Must Believe In Magic". Released June 24, 1977 the album went Platinum and spawned the #1 Country and #2 Pop hit "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue", Crystal's signature song. That single would garner Gayle with a well-deserved Grammy win for Best Female Country Vocal and win her two consequetive wins as Female Vocalist of the Year by the Country Music Association in 1977 and 1978.

Other wonderful tracks here include the Sylvia Tyson-penned "River Road" (released as a single in 1980), "It's Alright With Me", "Green Door" and the amazing "I Wanna Come Back to You".
on December 31, 2004
Despite the inclusion of Don't it make my brown eyes blue, this is a very upbeat album, full of optimism and happiness. The big international hit is the only sad song here, although it blends in well with the rest of the album.
Many of the other songs are originals. My favorites are River road, All I wanna do in life and the title track, but all of them are brilliant. There are at least two covers. The oldest song here (It's all right with me) is by Cole Porter despite being sometimes credited to Irving Berlin. Green door was a fifties pop hit in the USA for Jim Love and in the UK for Frankie Vaughn. It was revived by Shakin' Stevens in the eighties.
This was a brilliant album when first released and still sounds brilliant today. All of the tracks have been re-issued on CD compilations at one time or another but it's nice to hear them together the way they were originally released.
on April 30, 2003
I have to say that this album was very formative during my childhood. My parents had it on 8-track, and I used to listen to it OVER and OVER again. I don't really remember everything that was on it, but I do know that "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" was included, and I LOVED "We Must Believe In Magic" (I think it was my favorite song at the time.) It was a really incredible album, all around, and it would be great if I could find a copy and see if it stands up to the test of time (I don't see how it could not)
on April 30, 2003
I have to say that this album was very formative during my childhood. My parents had it on 8-track, and I used to listen to it OVER and OVER again. I don't really remember everything that was on it, but I do know that "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" was included, and I LOVED "We Must Believe In Magic" (I think it was my favorite song at the time. It was a really incredible album, all around, and it would be great if I could find a copy and see if it stands up to the test of time (I don't see how it could not)
on December 26, 2003
I originaly heard this one as done by its writer Jack Clements. Then I saw Crystal Gale do it on the Muppets. A wonderfully haunting song that sings to us of our potential if we only decide to grasp it.
on November 13, 2013
This is the original album that was Crystal Gayle's break through. She had been around and had some solid hits. But the lead single Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue put her over the top. As big as that song was. Rather strangly it was the only single released on this album.
This is one of those albums though you could have thrown a dart at the track list. And whatever song it landed on could have been released as a single and been a hit. Around the time that this originally came out. Crystal Gayle was becoming my favorite female singer. And still is.
This isn't one of my favorite albums by her. But it is very good. With my favorite song being Going Down Slow. I like the music to the song We Must Believe In Magic. With the space ship. There are a couple of older songs. Green Door and It's All Right With Me which is actually a Cole Porter song. That she does very well. I was only 17 when this originally came out so I didn't know that they were not original songs. She always did everything so well anyway.
I was glad to see this come out on cd. I have all of Crystal's albums on cd including the almost impossible to find We Should Be Together.