Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: We the People: The Story of Our Constitution
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 16, 2008
I can't believe that people would rate Mrs. Cheney's book based on their political views. That's simply disgraceful and they should be ashamed!

This book is a wonderful version of how our Constitution came to be that is suitable for children. It's time we get back to teaching our children the wonderful history of the United States. Just listen to one interview with Mrs. Cheney and you will understand how knowledgeable she is about US history and how much she loves this country. It seems she is commited to doing something positive for children.

Oh, and the illustrations in this book are wonderful!

Dean Wilkerson
1414 comments|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2008
I just bought this book yesterday and read it last night to my third grader. The illustrations are outstanding. Our family made a trip to Philadelphia over the summer and visited Independence Hall. What I enjoyed so much about this book is that it made the days of the drafting of the constitution come to life. Our sons had heard the narrator at Independence Hall tell the story of those days, but to see it on paper with the illustrations of Benjamin Franklin, John Madison, and George Washington, my 8 yr old understood it more clearly. He immediately recognized the chair that Benjamin Franklin had commented on at the end of the book as being a "Rising Sun" for America. For the ability it gave my son to see on paper the very rooms we visited on our trip and hear the story of the birth of our country make me want to recommend it to any parent with school aged children. It is very educational. My one con about the book is that in the effort to make it understandable to most, it is not a book I would recommend for very young children. It did not hold the attention of my four year old. However, it is a book that I will keep and use as a resource for both of my sons and continue to pull it off our shelves and read it to them to instill in them an appreciation of our forefathers and the struggles they went through framing this young nation.
on September 17, 2008
I have been a big fan of all of Lynne Cheney's books for children, and this is no exception. Our children need to understand that the Constitution was no accident, nor was it easy, but was the product of the hard work and sacrifice. The illustrations are beautiful, and will keep children's attention as they learn the history of our Founding. I highly recommend this book for anyone who has children who enjoy history, or who wants to help foster their kid's appreciation for history.
VINE VOICEon December 8, 2008
This is a great book for teaching social studies. I teach ESOL students in middle school (English to speakers of other languages) and find that teaching the story of the development of the constitution can be confusing and boring. I've even had confusion over it and have only learned it better from having to teach it year after year. This book by Lynne Cheney still had information to share with me. It's wonderful. The reading level is just right for my students and the picture book format is really helpful. The writing is clear and interesting and I think the students will not be bored listening to the book or reading it with me. The development of the constitution is one of the most important times in our history but it isn't a clear concise story. A war is more tangible and comprehensible than a room with a group of famous concerned men. Lynne Cheney helps tell this wonderful tale beautifully. My only complaint would be that she failed to include how the Bill of Rights came to be. That story may need a book in itself!
on October 24, 2008
While we basically enjoyed the book, there is one serious omission that would make the book better - there should be a copy of the Constitution in the book. A copy of the Constitution would tie it all together.
on September 17, 2008
If you need a reminder of why we have the ability for such polarized elections, allow people to shout inappropriate remarks about our elected officials or permit mud slinging so vicious we can't wait until the November election; Mrs. Cheney's "We the People" is what we all need to read.

Although a children's book, this book is a great history lesson for all ages to realize the difficulties our nation faced in its infancy. This non-partisan read is for people on either side of the aisle. Highly recommended for great learning with your children, grandchildren and even your spouse!
VINE VOICEon September 15, 2008
This book isn't just for kids. Everyday we are faced with issues related to our liberty, and the potential restriction of it. This book beautifully exposes the process our founding fathers endured to give us our most precious gift.

As the author of Every Single Girl's Guide To Her Future Husband's Last Divorce I go over many issues facing divorcing families that directly relate to Constitutional Issues. For every child, We The People is a must read!
44 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2009
I was looking for a book to help teach my 9 year old grandaughter about the Constitution and Bill of Rights. This book explained why the Constitution was drafted and how difficult a process it was. The illustrations are beautiful.
on September 19, 2008
This book is fantastic. I've already read it with my granddaughter, who loved the story and the beautiful illustrations. And I love being able to teach her about our great country. Plus I learned a lot myself. Lynne Cheney is a wonderful story-teller, and I highly recommend this book.
on January 12, 2014
My almost 9-year old says reading about the Constitution & how it was formed was pretty cool. I only gave it four stars because it gives you all this history about how the document came about, but then the Constitution isn't included, so I had to go out to the Internet to read it to my sons. It would be better if this were included. However, this is a good & interesting story. It held my 9-year old's attention, but not my 6-year old's - not surprising as only superheroes do! Also, I believe my 8 (almost 9) year old can read this on his own, no problem.