1,449 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A great starter pack- a demo of how it's useful for me.
I am a little bit obsessed with the WeMo world. I have a ton of them in my house, on most lights, and a few of the motion sensors. I could go through the technical specs of the device, but others have done that. I'd rather give you an example of why it is useful to me, and how I use it. I have my kit and other WeMo switches set to:

Turn one living room light on...
Published 14 months ago by RST_

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for ~2 months
I bought 4 of these light switches about a month after they were released. I had been adding motion detector lights, dusk-to-dawn lights, etc., to both improve energy efficiency and safety in my house. My purchase was designed to move further toward both of these issues, along with a new Kwikset lock and some security cameras.

Installation was relatively...
Published 13 months ago by Erick

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for ~2 months, November 1, 2013

Installation was relatively simple, even for someone who is not an electrician. As long as you have the proper wires and follow instructions, as other reviewers have mentioned, installation should not be too difficult (check before ordering though). Connecting to the WiFi was also not difficult for me. I have a Linksys router in the basement with a Linksys range extender upstairs and WeMo did not have any problems connecting when I followed instructions. The initial firmware update took quite a long time and the initial iPhone app version that I downloaded was *very* slow to detect the switches each time I loaded the app, but they seem to have fixed the latter issue.

Once it was all setup, I LOVED it. I used IFTTT to automatically make sure lights were turned off at night and on in the morning, among other things. I really like the look of them and changed out many of my fan switches and other switches to the decorator-style to make it look even nicer. Really, really like the look of them, although I could see it not fitting as well in certain instances (I am definitely not an interior decorator). I do wish that these would work with 3-way lights (where you have two light switches that control the same light) or as dimmers, but unfortunately they don't.

Here's the problem: two days ago, the power to the router went out for about 30 seconds, then turned back on. The internet and WiFi loaded fine and all of my devices worked fine - except two of the 4 light switches could no longer connect to WiFi! They would both just blink orange non-stop. I tried all of their support instructions on their website, which was minimal, and included resetting and restarting the device. Of course, now one of the switches started blinking green and I could no longer even turn the lights on manually. So I caved and called their support number (difficult to find, but calling the corporate headquarters 800-number routed me to support).

Here is where it got really frustrating because, among other things, the person on the line spoke very poor English. It took about 35 minutes to get through the initial questions around model number, what lights were blinking, when I purchased the product, etc. In between each question, she would tell me to "hold on a second" and mute her line, before often (at least 10 times, no exaggeration) returning and asking me a question I had already answered. Multiple times, she forgot to mute her line and I heard her joking with her friends. But, OK, I only hold Belkin partially accountable for that. After over an hour, and having me try everything I already tried, she finally said she would send me a new one. For now, I have two switches that cannot connect to WiFi and one that cannot even turn the lights on.

It is simply not worth all of this hassle just to be able to remotely turn some lights on and off. To make it worse: they only provide (poor) customer service for free for 90 days! After that, you have to pay to talk to someone. Luckily (unluckily?), mine broke after 60 days so I could get someone on the phone.

I really wanted to like the product, and I would have if there was some quality control or better customer support, but unfortunately for me it didn't work out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Firmware and App needs a lot of work., August 3, 2013
Gaucho (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Installed the Wemo Light Switch easily enough. As other reviewers have stated, a neutral wire is required. Also, the size of the front of the switch is the same as your regular Leviton switches, so if you are replacing one of those your face plates (including a double face plate for 2 different switches which is what I have), it will fit. The rear of the switch, is definitely bigger than the rear of a normal light switch so it does make a tight fit inside the wall box. Overall, I think it is a decent device but Belkin has some updating to do, per the rest of my review.

Pluses:
* Design looks good
* When light switch is on, there is small power light to show it is "on"
* Once it is connected to your network, the remote access via the App is a nice feature

Cons:
* When connecting to your wi-fi router, you cannot have any special characters (like: !?*&) or any spaces, in your typically already set up router password; Example: your password cannot be "john doe" and instead has to be "johndoe" without a space. If you have these, it will not connect to your router!!! Belkin needs a firmware / App update to fix this ASAP.
* When you are loading a rule to your Wemo Switch, let the App completely finish before doing anything. This means waiting...don't try and rush anything because you can bork your device. My first Wemo light switch died because of this (after just 1 day of use!), as I tried to change its name from "Wemo Light Switch" to something like "Porch Light" and it did not load right, and killed the switch where I could not access it at all from the App (after 4 + hours of troubleshooting, resetting, restarting, re-installing the App, etc.); ultimately I had to just replace it with a new Wemo light switch that is working for now.
* Timer based rules do not always work; Example - I tried to create a rule where the switch turns on at 8:30 p.m. and turns off at 2:30 a.m. Saved the rule and the rule loaded to the device. After saving, etc., the rule mistakenly says to turn off at 2:30 p.m. = it got the a.m. and p.m. reversed for the turn off setting. Tried this several times and it would not save correctly, no matter what. Instead I am just using the "sunset" to "sunrise" settings which did save correctly. Again, a future firmware update should fix this.
* On Android, the WeMo App is slow, very slow (even if on a strong wi-fi or on a strong LTE signal which I have). The Android WeMo "Beta" App has the same exact functionality, but it is a little bit faster. So if you are on Android, use the "Beta" App.
* Belkin needs to allow a computer browser interface, not just by an IOS or Android App. I am comparing this to my Nest thermostat, which does have a computer browser interface plus an App, and is generally a much more polished device.

Conclusion - for now it's just a decent device. Even though it is not the first in the Wemo line, I would consider it a first generation device. I would rate it 2.5 stars for now, and if my second switch does not fail then maybe 3.5 stars. If Belkin improves firmware and the App, then it has the potential to be a 4+ star device but it is not there yet.

See, [...] for a Wemo community forum where you can see a wide variety of issues for troubleshooting this and other Wemo devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great starter pack- a demo of how it's useful for me., September 9, 2013

Turn one living room light on from "dusk" (definable in the iPhone/Android app) until 10:30 p.m.
From 10:30 to 11, a different light stays on
From 11 through "sunrise" if I walk out of the bedroom door, and the motion sensor senses me, it turns on two lights in the living room
If motion is detected from 10:30 p.m. through Sunrise at my front door, it turns on "ALL OF THE LIGHTS!"

I also use one of these in the winter to turn on my Christmas lights (they plug in indoors), my Christmas tree at night, and other Christmas lights on by motion if I'm around.

The kit is incredibly flexible, and once you get one set up and on your wifi, it can be controlled while you are AWAY FROM HOME! The best part.

You can drive up to your house and turn the lights on before you go inside!

That all being said, I did have a couple of them be a little difficult to get on the wifi the first time. As soon as you connect them, they want to update their firmware/software. Once that's done, they work great. Be patient if you have a little difficulty on the first go, it will work and then be 100% reliable after that.

I hope this has helped you understand how and why to use the device and how it might help you.

UPDATE:

There is now a newer or different model of the wemo outlet control that can also track energy consumption. It is smaller overall, and has a touch sensor for the wifi. If you think you might be interested in that, you can find it here: Belkin WeMo Insight Switch, Control Your Electronics and Monitor Energy Usage From Anywhere with the Home Automation App for Smartphones and Tablets, Wi-Fi Enabled

1.0 out of 5 stars A very poorly executed good idea, October 10, 2013
I needed a switch that would control my outdoor porch and landscaping lights which are operated by two separate switches inside the house. Specifically, I wanted the lights to come on at dusk, but only stay on for a set number of hours. In theory, this device will do that. It tracks the time of dawn/dusk in your area via it's internet connection and will adjust accordingly. Thus I bought two of these switches. Like many in this category (programmable switches) the switch itself is a bulky device and, while the installation was fairly straight forward in terms of wiring etc, it took a significant amount of time getting the two switches to fit into the box with all of the other wiring and the two other switches that were there (it's a "4 gang" box).

Once installed, the two switches were found quickly by my Android phone and initial setup was straight forward, per the instructions. It took a few resets that were not expected, but overall setup was about 20 min. Both switches worked as expected the first day. The next day, the first time I opened the WEMO app on my phone, I was notified that a firmware update was needed for the switches (not any update to the app). I did not do it right off the bat, but soon realized that this firmware update screen was going to be there each and every time I opened the app until the update had been done. With electronic devices, a firmware update is not an unreasonable or unexpected eventuality, so I went ahead with it.

Both devices failed after the "update." The lights would only flicker on then off if the switch was manually pressed and neither could not be actuated via the app (if the app could even see the switches, which, at this point, was intermittent). In addition, every three to five minutes, the lights the switches were connected to would spontaneously "flicker" on for a second then go off. I tried all of the restarting/resetting options on the Belkin website (none made any difference) and cycled the power at the breaker box. . .all to no avail.

I was leaving town, so I switched the power off at the breaker for two days (to prevent the lights from intermittently flickering day and night while we were gone). When I turned the power back on upon our return, both switches reverted to normal function and would work by either manually pressing the switches or by using the Android app. Approximately two to three hours later though (and without any further intervention from me), I noticed that the lights were off when they should have been on), but flickering again. . .same problem as before. I repeated this cycle of cutting the power at the breaker box for two days and had the same results when powered back on.

The support experience with Belkin was an abysmal and highly frustrating few hours of my life. Suffice it to say that the website where the "premium support" phone number is supposed to be listed was a broken link. I finally found a different number (through an obscure link on the site). I was able to reach a person but, after 10 minutes of them "verifying my phone number" etc, I was told they don't handle the WEMO devices (despite the fact that the page that had the number I was calling had pictures of all of the wemo devices on it). The person actually gave me a different number to call (instead of transferring me) and told me I'd have to call that number and queue up again. I called that number, using the options he told me and got only a loud tone (no answer, no recording, no human). I tried several times, all with the same result and even stayed on the line for several minutes to see if anything would happen (nothing did). I called the number back and tried different options, this resulted in me being hung up on by the surly woman who answered the phone. I finally called back one last time and actually got the first guy I had spoken to again. I told him what had happened since I had spoken to him last. At this point, he kind of switched gears and began trying to be helpful to me. However, the end of the story is that, as best they could tell, the firmware update had ruined my devices. The technician actually suggested that I only do firmware updates via a hardwire and not using wifi. . .though this is common sense, this is a ridiculous assertion with this particular product as it is a light switch with no traditional input/output options for connection to a computer or router such as USB, LAN, etc. They'd send me replacements, but I WOULD still have to call the WEMO people, go through all of this again, then receive new devices and physically reinstall them. And, for what? To have another firmware update ruin those devices? Not to mention the fact that the number to the WEMO folks results in a loud tone with no human answering. No thanks. I cut my losses and returned the devices.

If and when these devices (or devices such as these) fully mature and they are able to function as advertised, they will be a truly great home automation device. These belkin light switches are NOT ready for prime time. And, for my part, I'll be looking to a different manufacturer for any future such products as Belkin, in my experience, are willing to push inferior products to the market and are ENTIRELY unable to support them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Ready / Horrible Support, October 14, 2013
Michael DeCorte (Jersey City, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Motion and Switch to control some lighting in my house. Conceptually, it's a great product. The setup should be so easy. However, it's not.

Setup is via an iOS app. You install the app, plug in the device, connect to the newly created WIFI network, and launch the app. Sounds easy. Except the app is very buggy on IOS 7 and wouldn't reliably fine the devices. Moving to IOS 6 fixed this.

OK, all setup. I can see the devices in the app. The app is super easy to use. It shows the devices and status. Kinda cool to hit the on/off button on the switch and the light clicks on without any delays. There's a wizard to help with the rules. Seems great.

But the motion sensor isn't firing the rules. It's sensing motion as indicated by the blue light on the motion sensor, but never reported back to the app or the switch. I try all of the debugging options, listed below. No luck.

So I call support. Level 1 support takes my info and says I should get a call in an hour or so. 3 hours later, I call back and have to provide all of my contact info and explain the issues again. I should get a call in an hour or so. 3 hours later repeat. I ask for a manager and than I'm escalated to a level 2 support person who asks again for everything. No solution. I'm told that level 3 support should be able to contact me, however only during business hours--when I'm at work.

Such a brilliant concept. But far far too buggy. This is an end user device and has to just work. Like a light switch (which is one of their products). But it's more like a very slick Proof of Concept.

----

They are both on my WIFI and I can see them on my

- IOS 6.1.3 / Touch App Version 1.2.2 (11792)
- IOS 5.1.1 / iPad 1 WIFI App Version 1.2.2 (11792)
- IOS 7.0.2 / iPad 3 WIFI App Version 1.2.2 (11792)

- Motion FW: 2.002769.PVT 96% WIFI G signal strength
- Switch FW 2.002769.PVT 92% WIFI G signal strength

The Switch performs fine. Using the app I can turn the switch on /off and the same for using the devices button.

The motion is visible on the app. The motion sensor turns blue with movement as expected, but the iOS app is always reporting "No Motion". Rules of course don't work.

Debugging so far:

1) rebooted IOS app

2) Unplugged both Switch and Sensor multiple times

3) Did a restore of the Sensor using the restore button

4) Did a reset of the Sensor using the IOS App reset function

5) Reinstalled IOS app

6) Changed the motion detection rule "If Motion than Turn On/Off with motion + X minutes at 12:01am-11:59pm" where X was immediate, 1 minute, 15 minutes

7) Disabled / enabled remote access

8) Deleted and replaced rule

9) Rebooted router

10) Used a different router

11) Called support and was told to expect a response in 1/2-1 hour. 3 hours later no call. I called again and was told 48 business hours. Huh?

------------------------
Regarding phone support, it's need to be improved:

- 48H response time for a device that will be in the house isn't terribly useful for someone who has a job

- asking for the email address, but not sending the support # via email isn't very customer friendly.

- The 2nd time that I called it was clear that the level 1 support had no notes from the first call to level 1 support.

- The 3nd time that I called it was clear that the level 1 support still had no notes from the prior calls to level 1 support. I asked for a manager and was than provided level 2 support.

- Level 2 support has no notes from the prior calls either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless: Do Not Buy, January 24, 2014
At first it seemed that these Wi-Fi switches were the solution from my remote-control needs. No!

The concept is very good. However, Belkins execution is poor.

The switch I received was old stock in the new box. I could not get it to do a firmware upgrade.

The switch would not connect to my brand new Asus RT-N66U router reliably. I got a successful connect for 1 of 10 tries.

Not ready for prime time........AVOID my heartache!

1.0 out of 5 stars Check BEFORE You Buy, January 29, 2014
The app which runs the WeMo product line is NOT compatible with all or even most android products. Before you buy, go to Google Play while signed or from your device and make sure it will let you install the Belkin WeMo app. You have to have a newer Android version and specific models of devices. If not, then this may be a waste of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Has potential, but IFTTT not working and Belkin customer service below par, December 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had the chance to try this out, I currently have a number of "nexia" devices in my home which I have programmed to come on and off at set times, but I have a monthly fee with those. I liked the idea of the WeMo as it doesn't have a monthly fee.

For starters, it's really easy to use this for a bar bones plug with a remote on/off using your smartphone.

Pariring the outlet to your phone is as easy as hooking up to the outlets wifi SSID, running the app on your phone and setting it up. At that point you can turn on and off lights remotely, and any thing else you want to connect.

It does have a electricity usage calculator built in where it estimates how much power you are using for the device connected.

The real reason I got this was for the IFTTT integration, I use IFTTT and have triggers set for a number of items and I liked the idea if I recieved an urgent email I could have the switch triggered to turn on a red light on my desk. Cool things like that. Well when I tried to activate the IFTTT feature the clock on the outlet was months off and it issues a "key" to pair to IFTTT, but the key expires 30 minutes after its issued, since the clock is off by years the key is already expired and I can't pair the outlet to IFTTT. I tried the firmware update and that completed, still had the same issue. I turned off and back on remote access, that didn't make any difference.

So I emailed Belkin customer service explaining everything I did, 4 days later I got a reply back telling me to ensure remote access was turned on....... I ALREADY DID THAT.

So for me IFTTT is not working on this thing because of a key issue, the other base scheduling seems to work fine where you say turn the light on at dusk and off at dawn. But the extra integration seems to be failing at least on my device. For this reason, along with the terrible customer service I am giving it 2 stars. It would have been great if customer service read my issue, paid attention to what I said I did already and provided a real solution instead of copy/pasting a canned response from the knowledge base, which I already found myself and did prior to contacting them.

--update 12/28--

Belkin customer service responded to my review (see comments). I am happy they did but I am still having issues. I have validated the time on my router is correct, the time on my phone where I am running the app is correct, remote access is on, firmware is updated and still it shows a key that is already expired when I try to pair to ifttt.

Waiting now on a reply from belkincares@belkin.com , will update this review if they are able to get it working.

--UPDATE 12/29/13--

Belkin customer service responded back and asked me to try to configure ifttt from the ifttt website... the issue is the pin is generated through the Wemo app, so I am still being prompted to enter a pin, which according to the wemo app is already expired when it gives it to me.

They also requested I try to access the app from another device, being an IT guy I had a number of other devices around and each shows the same problem, an expired pin. I even went as far as setting up an entirely new wireless network, reseting the wemo back to defaults and clearing cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the wemo app on my devices and still I have the exact same issue. In this scenario I replaced every piece of hardware including the internet connection.

Still waiting on another response, I think the wemo is dead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confirmed: Cannot use these at multiple locations., December 9, 2013
The first Belkin switch set up easily, and other than the 10 minute firm wear update and having to reset the router, I was impressed with the set-up process.
The second one was a different story. It could never locate both switches. Following the less-than-specific troubleshooting instructions on the Belkin site I reloaded the App. That erased the first switch and forced a reboot of the router again.
Finally the second switch was installed, but the first was MIA. Went thorough the set-up process for the first switch, finally installed it and the second switch disappeared.

UPDATE 12-23-2013:
Belkin support has confirmed that the WeMo devices can only be used on a single wireless network. That means you cannot have devices at work and at home, or at both a main and second home, and control them with a single mobile device.
Belkin support wrote: We can only use the WeMo app to manage multiple WeMo devices if these WeMo devices are connected to the same wireless network. If you want to manage multiple networks, you will need a different mobile/tablet to manage each network.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely unusable on Android. Do not buy. (updated), February 18, 2014
A Student (Amherst, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin WeMo Switch, Control Your Electronics From Anywhere with the Home Automation App for Smartphones and Tablets, Wi-Fi Enabled (Electronics)
I've updated this review, in which I originally complained about the gaping security holes in Belkin's Wemo product. They've since closed those holes, which is great, and it would be even better if I could actually update the firmware on the devices.

Unfortunately, that's not possible because the Android app is one of the worst pieces of software I've laid hands on in years. If and when it can manage to connect a Switch to my wifi network (just a few feet from the access point), it then can't find it when it scans the network. And yet somehow it can tell me what the firmware version on the device is - but is there any way to upgrade it from that screen? No.

The UI is sluggish and constantly freezes at "detecting devices," which it is unable to do.

Belkin failed to publish details (an API) to allow other apps to control the devices, and their own software - as usual - is complete garbage. It's a wonder how these people stay in business. I got the two WeMo Switch devices despite a longstanding "NO BELKIN" policy because they were at a fire-sale price and I needed one for a really inconveniently placed air conditioner. Now, despite the dirt-cheap price, I'm stuck with useless junk due to Belkin's incompetence. I'll know better next time.