Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2011 9:04:14 PM PDT
I am a huge fan of the original American McGee's Alice and I'm very excited to see how this game pans out, the trailers have got me pretty hyped but after reading this I feel like the story is lacking... kind of like a recycled version of the first game:

"Madness Returns takes place eleven years after the events of its predecessor, the same amount of time between the two games' releases.[8] Alice has been released from Rutledge Asylum and into the care of a London psychiatrist, where the traumatic memories of her parents' deaths continue to haunt her. As a result of her relocation, her hallucinations and internal struggle have increased in severity, and she returns to Wonderland in hopes of security and comfort. However, it has once again become warped by her insanity, and she must save its residents and herself from the evil that is taking over Wonderland and also embarks on finding the true cause of her family's mysterious deaths."

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2011 9:09:23 AM PDT
H.Le says:
I'm hoping agaisnt hope that Madness Return will be the exception from the norm of the sequel being worse than the original.

Posted on May 27, 2011 9:07:05 PM PDT
Callie says:
I'm hoping that as well, H. But finding out what truly caused the death of her family may just be the perfect story point to even any weakness in parts of the sequel's plot. It does sound a bit recycled, but I'm trying to be hopeful; I've heard great praise from people who've gotten to enjoy demos of it and whatnot.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 7:59:34 AM PDT
Xander says:
I loved Alice 1 too, but Im a bit iffy on Alice 2 because I dont see "American McGee" in the title for the sequel, and that does make me nervous. But EA Store has a deal where you can get Alice 2 for 10$ off and it comes with a Remastered version of Alice 1, which personally made me take the Risk on Alice 2, because at least if it doesnt work out, I still get Alice 1 updated with better graphics to work on modern PCs out of the deal.

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 9:44:39 AM PDT
Wicasawakan says:
Guys, stay clear of the BS discussions going on over on the PS3 page for this game. This guy is saying it will suck (without playing it) based off a magazine review of the PS version. PS and 360 systems are already out-dated and should be replaced by most gaming standards. We that are PC gamers keep our rigs up to speed and know that some magazine reviews will most likely be cynical if the game isn't what they expected.
From what I've read and seen in trailers and websites, I will pick this up.
(If you have OCD and just read that I said "Don't go to the PS3 page", you...will probably go there anyway)
Trust's mindless trolling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 4:34:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2011 4:36:14 AM PDT
Boz says:
"We that are PC gamers keep our rigs up to speed and know that some magazine reviews will most likely be cynical if the game isn't what they expected."

Love your statement demonstarting a PC owners pride in his choice of gaming platform. I have built my own systems since I discovered that the IDE DX486 computer I had just store bought with the ancient EDD Ram was going to be totally obsolete with the release of the PCI slot and that I was already more obsolete then I thought. After that I started reading. Bought Boot magazine, now know as Maximum PC, but back in the day when it was Boot and had more articles and less adds, there were white papers on ram and memory and so much useful information for the advancing desktop age you couldnt help but get itch to do it yourself, and now for over 20 years Ive done my own building.

Nothing gets my goat more then the dumbing down of games to put them on consoles. I love being able to do serious work, and then alt-tab back into a game thats paused to give myself some stress relief. Gaming consoles are the opium of the masses, and do nothing else. Our computers though can do it all and then some. Sad though how many companies abandoned us PC users to pimp themselves to the huddled console masses and then have the nerve to push "Ports" on us respectable gamers. Pcs are so cheap to build and multi monitor support among other perks make me think that consoles are the work of the devil. My daughter already hinted that she wants this game and she does her homework regarding her games so I have no doubt that for fans of the original, this will be a game to take notice of if not buy outright.

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 9:04:29 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
I've heard that a couple of sites gave this so-so reviews already. I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm going to hold off until I see more reviews. Can't make a decision on just a few opinions.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 7:04:49 AM PDT
MGCJerry says:
I got this game from somewhere else (not amazon sadly) and I only made it almost half way through before it started to be at odds with my PC with some random locking up. When it locks up, the video & audio stops but the game is still going on which makes it easy to jump over stuff and fall to her death (do bad we're not treated to a mushy sounding splat), as well as missing enemies with your attacks.

Anyway, I was a fan of the original and I'm liking the story as its progressing through on this one and I really want to find out what happened... Yes, I seen the cinematic at the beginning in alice 1, but something is telling me that's not how the fire started. Also based on the first 10 minutes of playing Alice 2 there's something that doesn't add up. You are told to forget your past, but when you leave the psychologist's office you overhear him trying to get this other kid to remember his past so it can be discussed...

What do I think? I think the psychologists hands are dirty.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 6:35:38 PM PDT
i was definitely proven way wrong, after playing the game for a few days i see it's very rich in story. I've read some reviews from game critics saying that the platforming elements are poorly done and dry but that's one of the parts i love about this game! As with the original Alice the platforming elements brought me back to a time where games with simple mechanics could be successful. Even though this games has it's glitches and isn't the smoothest running, I'm still enjoying it very much (story included :P)

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 9:11:55 AM PDT
Wicasawakan says:
I agree that the story is fine. It's kinda like the movie pulp fiction (not the best comparison - I know). But, it gives you a little here and little there and by the end, it adds up. You will definately say to yourself, "What was that memory all about?" but by the end, it makes sense.
Xander said it doesn't say American McGee??? It says it on the box. Right on the bottom.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Apr 11, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Alice: Madness Returns - PC
Alice: Madness Returns - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
3.4 out of 5 stars (292)