Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on July 10, 2012
This is a very workable all in one unit. A handy thing to have in case of emergency. The minus 1 star stems from the fact that the switch too easily goes from off to lantern to siren and man that siren draws attention (LOUD). Good if you are lost, bad if you are playing around with it in your office. Overall definitely worth the price, just wish the siren button wasn`t so easy to turn on by accident, I could easily see that happening if I took this camping, fumbling for this in the dark or just not really paying attention to the switch sequence.
*********************************
Update.........
After further review and use I give it 5 stars. All the functions work perfectly and the "lantern" is quite bright. As for the switch, I got used to it, got a feel for it. No more loud siren in the office (sorry boss!)
on October 30, 2012
I shipped one of these to each of my college age nieces and nephews and it came in the nick of time and free shipping with Amazon Prime. This was all they had for light, emergency siren and am/fm radio. Yes, be careful not to hit siren button instead of the light while in the dark - scared the whole dorm!!
on October 30, 2013
The idea here is a nice one, and overall it seems like a nifty thing to have. That's why I ordered it to begin with.

But the unit in reality seems a little on the cheap side. The big design flaw is the single switch, with four positions, that includes the siren. The way it's designed, you can easily push the switch to siren and wake up everyone in the neighborhood.

Anyway, the unit I got didn't work, after two attempts with separate batteries. A return is headed back. Oh well.
on December 7, 2013
As a flashlight it is great. As a lantern it is great. As an FM radio it is OK (clear reception, tiny, tinny speaker.) As an AM radio it stinks (lots of static unless positioned just "so.") As a Weather Band radio it stinks - no amount of tuning, turning, point different directions, inside, outside, high, or low positioning brings in much more than a faint, static-obscured signal. I bought it for the Weather Band feature, so it is pretty much just a cool flashlight with a handy FM radio. With what I've spent on this and another "emergency" type weather band radio I could have bought a really good dedicated weather band unit, which is all I want. Maybe I can help you to not do the same.
on January 22, 2014
I got this as a gift for my niece after we had the tornado hit IL in Nov '13, not far from us. We have a much fancier NOAA radio (and had that day, which was great), but she's 20 and has a roommate, so goodness knows if this will survive her lifestyle for for long. It seems pretty solid, but I can see it walking off if she has a party, that is.

She's glad to have it since the recent tornado activity scared the b-jeebus out of her, but she's also too young to have the patience to deal with our more sophisticated, programmable auto-alert weather radio. (Our is a Midland, forget the model number at the mo, but you can set it to auto-alert for ONLY the most dire weather events--and uncommon feature). Kids think that their cell phones will do it all, but I can tell you, while we were already safe in our basement and sending out texts to friends, the cell signal kept dropping because of the electrical interference of the storm.

Pros:
-It feels pretty darn solid, given the low price. I admit, I was a bit surprised.
-The lights are nice and bright
-Naturally, the sound can't compete with my surround sound setup, but I was astonished that one wee radio could get this much volume and not sound too hollow on regular radio stations.
-I love that it has a LOUD alarm she can use if she's stuck in a basement if I tornado knocks down her apt. (This happened to a few people I know in the IL tornado.
-Though hand crank dynamo charging sounds like a great idea in other radios, I've honestly never seen one that holds up well over time. I'm glad this has batteries for that reason and we just gave her a mutli-pack.
-I'm unimpressed by the promise of phone charging features on other radios, so that feature isn't missed. Why? All the towers were out where the tornado hit until long after the power was restored to the emergency response areas and shelters, so even people with charged phones had zero signal strength.

If there is one con, it's that the sound quality of the NOAA channel is not always as clear as it is with our fancy-schmancy radio (it has an extendable antenna, this one does not). It seems to get a better signal on the second floor of our house, less so on the first floor, and less again in a basement. That said, she lives in a second floor place, so at least she know to hurry up and get to the basement. She might have to concentrate to hear it in the basement, but believe me, you'll be willing if you feel a tornado pass over (you really *can* feel a pressure change and a strange tingle). If one touches down, you'll know it for sure, but you'll already be in the basement.
on July 5, 2012
Great little gadget. Where I live the power goes out quite a bit and although I haven't officially needed it yet we have had a tropical storm and I did try it out to pick up the weather forecast. This is a handy flashlight size radio that can be used for the flashlight, weather radio or AM/FM radio. I really like it! Oh and it has this crazy siren too and a additional lantern light if needed for a larger brighter light.
on January 23, 2014
This thing is nifty. Too bad the end cap that holds the batteries in will not latch. The carry strap is attached to the end cap and pulls the cap off with much less force than the weight of the thing. Not worth returning so I'll have to try and jerry-rig something I guess...
on January 14, 2014
Overall I am happy with the purchase, but it could have been better.

This is larger than I expected, so check the size, don't just look at the photo.
The light is not so bright
The siren is too easy to operate accidentally, but after a while you get used to it.
FM Radio works well however I have not got the weatherband working yet
on April 1, 2014
I haven't used this yet but it arrived in 2 days in its packaging. We ordered this for our inclement weather 'bug out' bag. Its mulit-purpose functionality is appealing and its easy enough for children to use in the event of an emergency. I would definitely recommend this unit and will probably order more for each family memebers' emergency preparedness bag.
on August 26, 2014
Bought this as part of a larger Bug Out Bag I put together for my brother's birthday along with other items. He went wide eyed and told everyone his BOB was the best gift he's received in 20 years, and was really psyched about all the boy gadgets. I've finally found the perfect gift for a guy. TIP - you dating a new guy and it's his birthday or a gift giving holiday, and you're in that gray zone? Make him up a relationship proportionate Bug Out Bag...if he's mechanically inclined go with tools. If he's a nerd, go with geek toys. If he's a techhie, go with cell phone/tablet/pc gadgets...because when it comes down to it, they're all still giant boy children at heart and they all LOVE gadgets.

Items all arrived in undamaged packaging with other things. From feedback, my brother loved everything. I asked later if he's getting any use from it and he enthusiastically confirmed he was and has been adding to it, even sat down and made an emergency prep plan list. I picked up the stun gun flashlight and he carries that thing around in his pocket.

Wonder what he's getting me now for MY birthday!! Eh??