4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not around water!
This is a good product, convenient and accurate. It is a bit expensive, but typical for similar products. The screen tends to get scratched by the swivel holder cover.

Published on July 13, 2007 by Gregory Guthrie

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot Change Wind Speed Units
Published 21 months ago by David M. Wenning

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not around water!, July 13, 2007
Gregory Guthrie "guthrie" (Fairfield, IA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WeatherHawk SM-18 SkyMate Hand-Held Wind Meter, Yellow (Sports)

The big complaint that I have is that it is not waterproof. Their rep. said it will float, and is water-resistant, but is not water proof, cannot go under water. A dubious distinction, since their web page says: ""water resistant to 3' ". Many of their sales sites say "waterproof". but it is not. the repair person made a fuzzy claim that it would float, and withstand rain, but not submersion. i reminded him of the specification on their site, and he basically disclaimed it.

I put it in a breast pocket of a life jacket, and after one spill, it was flooded & ruined.

Anyway, be warned!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, July 16, 2010
Barbara Popelka (BILLINGS, MT, US) - See all my reviews
We have a Skymate Hand-Held Wind Meter on every one of our work trucks. We are required by the law to know the wind speed and air temperature at every job where we make a chemical application. This little Wind Meter does the job nicely. We have re-purchased them when they have been lost or when we have added vehicles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entry level wind meter., May 23, 2010
This is a decent wind meter for the money. I bought it to get rough estimates on air temperatures and velocities coming out of AC registers. It would be absolutely perfect for my usage if it measured humidity too. The case protects it nicely while in my tool bag. Mine did arrive with dead batteries, so that's why I rated it as a 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skymate anemometer nails it..., February 11, 2011
I purchased the hand-held skymate to measure wind speed to improve my sail selection before heading out for a windsurf. It is excellent. Simple to use and now takes that little bit of doubt out of my mind about average wind strength and gust strength. It looks robust enough to handle being thrown in my box of equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For RC Flying, September 6, 2012
A great must have for RC Flying. I Fly Ultra Micro planes to larger gliders. Once you get good with the smaller planes of today, you will enjoy flying them in the wind but you need to know how much wind is blowing to decide if you want to take it up. Very sensitive at very low wind speeds. Nice measurements of different averages with max wind speed. Temperature gauge is helpful in the winter as it may change your flying time due to batteries having less power in the cold. The cover protects the wheel completely, so close it and throw it in your tool box. Want more protection, get the leather case. Set it on a table tri-pod at the park picnic table or on a full length tri-pod at the field.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, December 5, 2012
This tool seems to do the job i purchased it to do. I think its a little pricey and I wish i had shopped around a little more for a better deal but it is pretty useful if your out sailing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little unit, February 29, 2012
My package came on time. Unit is pretty neat and easy to use. Contacted Steve at the telephone number provided on the package and explained that there were no directions. He told me how to change the unit mesurement from centigrade to ferinhight and said that I could find the directions on the internet at the address provided on the package. Satisfied with that, I went to throw out the package and low and behold, the manual slipped out from between the cardboard insert and I did find the manual on the internet.

I gave this a four star only because I am confused about the power off feature and how it reads in the manual. I want to make sure it is on so my unit will turn off automatically after 5 min of non-use. Called and left a message with Deon. If he is half as nice as Steve I should have my problem resolved with a simple push or two of the switch. Great customer support.

This is my first unit so I cannot compare it with others but I will mention that I read the reviews and the fact that this is used at track and field events and another person uses a higher priced unit by this company to measure wind speed on top of the mountian if his professional windometer freeze's up was good enough for me. Purchased from Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, February 19, 2010
William Hobbs (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Works just fine. The averaging functions are handy for getting readings on unsteady wind. Tripod mount has been useful as well.

The only thing that could be better is the resolution, but it is fine for most purposes - especially for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars KEITH, July 14, 2011
I AM AN AVID KITEBOARDER ON LONG ISLAND. I PURCHASED THE WEATHERHAWK SM -18 HAND -HELD SKYMATE WIND METER A MONTH AGO ON THE RECOMMENDATION OF A FRIEND WHO IS A WINDSURFER AND I LOVE IT! IT IS SMALL AND EASY TO USE. IT IS VERY ACCURATE. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot Change Wind Speed Units, March 23, 2013
OK, I am going to be the East German judge here. Right out of the package, I am not able to change the wind speed units. Following the instructions, I was able to change the temperature units, but the wind speed unit is stuck on Beaufort. I have an email into tech support at weatherhawk.com. Their response will determine what I post here next. Frankly, I am very disappointed.
UPDATE: After 12-15 tries, I was finally able to change the wind speed units. I am adding another star because of this. There is an even bigger problem now. I contacted WeatherHawk tech support more than 2 weeks ago and have still not received a response. For this reason, the device will not get more than two stars.

WeatherHawk SM-18 SkyMate Hand-Held Wind Meter, Yellow