5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical!
I really love this album.

However, I may really love this album for all the wrong reasons. I first heard of Freelance Whales on NPR (which, surprisingly, is where I find a lot of the music I listen to these days). The first thing I did after hearing about them in the car that fateful Saturday morning was to jump onto the web and download their album...
Published on April 23, 2010 by Gene Twilley

3.0 out of 5 stars Just "there"
I was really looking forward to getting this CD and had a lot of positive anticipation of what I'd hear. After being blown away by The XX and the new National CD's this was somewhat of a let down for me. Do I like the CD? Absolutely. But I found that multiple plays of it have had the opposite effect of most CD's I really like, that of becoming somewhat ho-hum and just...
Published on June 8, 2010 by David Desilva

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical!, April 23, 2010
This review is from: Weathervanes (Audio CD)
I really love this album.

What they've written and produced is full of movement, emotion, depth and complexity. I can bob my head with many of the songs on the album. The ones I can't head bob to are great for slow dancing with my wife in my home. All of them are great for driving in the car. There's not a song on this playlist that I don't dig - and it's worth listening straight through without shuffling. To say the least, this album makes me feel really good. If I were to give it a visual, it would be like thousands of golden lightning bugs lighting the dark around me wherever I'm walking (I don't mean to say that these guys are lighting the path of my life, but that they really provide a lot of warmth to what can sometimes be cold and ordinary). It makes me think a lot of friendship / companionship.

All of this is great. All of this is enough to run out and buy this album right now (or... run in and download it).

But the reasons I love this... my wrong reasons... are as follows:
I feel like this album is what you would get if you mixed the vocals of The Postal Service with a dash of Fleet Foxes and laid them over the complexity of Sufjan Stevens' rhythm and composition. These guys mix electronic instruments with acoustics (from what seems to sound like banjos at times, guitars at others) and know how to effectively go a capella before launching into another electronic assault on your senses.

Why wouldn't I love this this album?

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a classic, March 18, 2010
This review is from: Weathervanes (MP3 Music)
I love this album. Catchy hooks, beautiful harmonies, quirky lyrics and a really sweet spirit. There is a loose theme - many of the songs revolve around a shared house and the people in it - you get the feeling of a bunch of artists sharing a cool old house in the country.

As far as style, I'd call it folk-pop-electronic. They are somewhere in the same musical neighborhood as Passion Pit, Phoenix, The Bird and The Bee, and maybe Imogen Heap (if that is a neighborhood); but with the acoustic instruments and vocal harmonies, they also remind me of Crosby, Stills and Nash and Monsters of Folk. All that notwithstanding - this band really has its own sound and the comparisons only tell part of the story.

Listening to Weathervanes always makes me happy. I put it on while I'm making the kids' lunches in the morning, or when we're setting out on a trip in the car. It's very rich in feeling. I haven't heard music like this in a long time.

Weathervanes is that kind of rare album that's much more than just good pop music or a promising debut. It's quite special. It might be destined to be a classic, like the first CSN album (the one with Wooden Ships).

5.0 out of 5 stars cant stop listening, January 17, 2010
This review is from: Weathervanes (MP3 Music)
utterly original with hints of appleseed cast, sufjan stevens, and annuals ... cant stop listening to this record since i got it last week. catchy, highs and lows, banjos, synth, sweeping lyrics. perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, May 10, 2010
This review is from: Weathervanes (Audio CD)
A great album, one worth listening over and over again! There are some really well written songs!!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, January 9, 2010
Brian Delaney (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weathervanes (MP3 Music)
this album is fantastic. totally original, but if I had to make a comparison it would be the little ones meets postal service meets sufjan stevens. wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars great sound, April 15, 2010
This review is from: Weathervanes (Audio CD)
Always wanted to be a bigger fan of the indie folk sound and Sufjan did a good job satisfying on that front. Freelance Whales took it to a different place though with the inclusion of electro sounds. I definitely see this being an album I put on repeat for a long while. Can't wait for more stuff from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Album of 2010, December 20, 2010
This review is from: Weathervanes (Audio CD)
This album is spectacular. Freelance Whales manage to channel the epitome of an indie pop band and write an original album all the same. I've heard the band be compared to a mixture of The Postal Service and Sufjan Stevens, both of which I love, which makes listening to this album all the more enjoyable: it's almost a smorgasbord of everything I love about contemporary music. My favorite two tracks on the album are "Starring", which is truly an electronica song with a driving tempo and quirky lyrics, and "Broken Horse", which is a heartfelt acoustic ballad with meaningful lyrics. The two songs are very different in style, but all of the songs on the disc -although they're all different- are strung together with the lead singer's truly haunting vocals. I recommend this album to anyone interested in thought-out pop music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent change of pace, August 8, 2010
This review is from: Weathervanes (Audio CD)
I am absolutely in love with this album. It has been in my player for about a month now. And I just missed seeing the live in Omaha. Its difficult to categorize and proclaimed The Moody Blues meet Earl Xcrugs, but that's not quit it either. Folk music with a heavenly twist? OK If you are interested in checking this out, do so for free but judge it from the 1st 2 tracks, "Generator" and "Hanna" the rest will follow. I tried to guess what some of the instruments were but was wrong after I saw the video of Generator. The description of this album on the cover suggests its like watching a flower bloom hits it right on the head. I am going to go out and buy another copy in case I wear this one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weathervanes -- Freelance Whales, February 11, 2011
This review is from: Weathervanes (Audio CD)
The CD is awesome! If anyone likes The Killers/Bright eyes or bands similar to them with acoustic/synthesized music then this is a good CD choice for you. This band was first introduced to me by their song We Should Be Friends, but I soon fell in love with the song Broken Horse and after I got the CD and soon enjoyed every song. I recommend this CD for anyone who likes calm and upbeat music all in the same cd. This CD offers fun tunes and lyrical nothings that can bring out the college student, lover, widow, or music lover in all of us. It's an awesome CD and very well put together, I look forward to seeing more of the Freelance Whales.

5.0 out of 5 stars great band, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Weathervanes (MP3 Music)
got this cd because it was recommended to me. band turned out to be pretty awsome! saw them live and they were just as great! would totally recommend it to others if you're into indie type rock-ish band. similar to death cab for cutie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Weathervanes
Weathervanes by Freelance Whales (Audio CD - 2010)