5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Consume Web Strategy Knowledge
Did you like "Don't Make Me Think?" If so, this is a must-have addition to your core web strategy, design, and marketing knowledge library.

Who wrote this book and why does it matter?
Published on April 29, 2008 by Kayden Kelly

2.0 out of 5 stars Very light on content - a lot of screenshots
Published on February 7, 2008 by J. Myers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Very light on content - a lot of screenshots, February 7, 2008
J. Myers (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Web Design for ROI: Turning Browsers into Buyers & Prospects into Leads (Paperback)
I don't agree with many of the other reviews written here. Everyone keeps mentioning how strategic this book is. I found it to be very tactical. It dissects a lot of specific landing pages and recommends fixes for them, but most of the advice does not necessarily apply in general. You are often told what to do, but not whay you should do it. There is not nearly enough information on background principles.

The book is very pretty. But given that there are only 187 pages, and there are a ton of screenshots and wide page margins, there is not a lot of substance. The so-called "Chapter 10" is a bunch of book covers and other recommended reading.

I expected a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Consume Web Strategy Knowledge, April 29, 2008

Who wrote this book and why does it matter?
Luckily, I had the opportunity to see the authors, Lance and Sandra, present at a recent web conference and I was blown away by their insight into lead generation and how effectively they could communicate it.

Lance and Sandra are well respected thought leaders in the web industry who speak regularly at conferences and have now delivered a practical guide to help business leaders, web marketers, web designers and everyone else understand the value of proper web design and how to improve a web site to achieve an impressive ROI.

What is the best thing about this book?
I greatly appreciated the investment they made in the elegant organization and design of this book since it makes it so easy to consume. Most books try to do too much and over complicate the information they are looking to pass on to others. When I came across this book I greatly appreciated that I could quickly absorb it and then easily refer back to key information when needed.

Why do you need this book?
The design guidelines Lance and Sandra provide will help you optimize your website conversion to deliver a clear ROI and, more importantly in our case, they help you better understand and communicate the business case for doing so.

We have a great library of web design, strategy and marketing books but only "Don't Make Me Think" and "Web Design for ROI" are used all the time as quick reference books when we want to help a client understand why we are making the decisions we are or to help remind us what the proper way to approach web design is from a usability and conversion stand point.

Who do we recommend this book for?
Anyone who has any influence on web design whatsoever even if it is just approving the budget.

If you work for a web design agency, we highly recommend sending this book to your clients so they better understand the value of experienced web designers and the direct potential it has to drive revenues when done following the guidelines in this book. Also, get a copy (like we did) for everyone on your web design/development team so they will understand key web design principles and how they help you focus on and exceed your clients' business goals.

Lance and Sandra, thanks for the great book of web knowledge and please write more books on web design, strategy, and marketing topics!

1.0 out of 5 stars nothing but a big advertisement, December 21, 2008
If you buy this book, you will be paying them to advertise to you. At least half the book is dedicated to promoting the people who wrote this book and not to teaching. I wish I hadn't wasted my money on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely poor !, December 18, 2008
This book is for beginners...but real beginners !
It is extremely poor ! 15 pages too explain the concept of ROI (return on investment), 16 pages to explain the concept of "conversion rate" (a simple division !)...

Nothing to learn from it. I was very disappointed and I don't understand the ecstatic reviews on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only recommend one web marketing book this would be it., February 11, 2008
I was really amazed with the content in this book. I've read several books on search marketing, usability, design and general web marketing but this was the first one that has pulled it all in to one concise book. I've read books twice as long that haven't covered half as much.

While this book isn't meant for a complete newbie to the web I would recommend this book for web savvy first time web marketers. But don't think that this book is a beginner book. An adventurous young entrepreneur could run an entire consulting practice just by following the steps in this book and still feel comfortable that they were providing real value to their clients.

In fact I was very surprised at the completeness in this book. Most books written by agencies or consultants give you just enough of a taste to understand the principles but don't actually give you enough knowledge to go off and do it yourself. I really applaud the thoroughness in Web Design for ROI.

Lance and Sandra walk you through each section of the site from landing pages, home page, shopping carts and everything in between as well as break down the unique problems for each page and how to fix them.

They have working sections where you can actually apply what it is they are teaching as well as actual examples with screen grabs.

My absolute favorite part of the book though was the metrics section. They show you how a little effort on single sections of your site can have a greater effect than just dumping more money into driving traffic to an inefficient site.

Their approach is amazingly simple and even a number challenged marketer like myself can use it. I've even started using those metrics when I make presentations to my managers and let me tell you, managers (or clients) love seeing numbers. It makes it so much easier to sell your initiative when you have some simple numbers to show them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, a must for eCommerce, March 26, 2008
I learned how to apply a conversion optimization to create a larger return on investment for my search engine optimization and marketing efforts by creating a larger percentage of goal conversions with my current volume of web site traffic.

This will have a lasting and recurring benefit since a small decrease in bounces and abandoned goal funnels will generate a higher percentage of growth without buying more traffic. This process of conversion optimization has the biggest band for my buck (or sweat) and helps with growing conversions with my current pay-per-click campaigns. Also, the strategies presented will help me communicate more effectively with my audience. The book inspired me to apply a conversion optimization beginning at my check-put pages, working my way back to the home page. After adding a secondary goal on my detail pages I noticed an increase in online sales.

This optimization process creates results! I also recorded an audio review, use your favorite search engine to find 'Pixel Handler Radio' and listen online.

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, February 8, 2008
Guy Davis (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
The book claims to be about ROI. The authors don't even have a clue about the economics of websites, and the examples that they give for ROI calculations are very basic.

The rest of the book is a rehash of basic web design ideas. The main focus is on e-commerce catalogs (although forms in general are also covered).

The production quality is very nice (full-color, nice page layout), but that does not make up for the poor content. The best part of the book is the last chapter with other recommended books and websites. The first book mentioned in that section is Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think". My advice: skip this book and just buy Krug's book instead. Web design for ROI was a big waste of my time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Clear...Very Suprising, March 9, 2010
I really underestimated this book. After reading it, I have a whole new understanding of web design in general. It is amazing that you can increase your ROI by doing simple, little things. Please, if you have a site, or work for a site that sells or markets any kind of products or services, read this book. You will expand your pockets. The book is very nice as well. Full-colored pages and no bloat makes it just that much better. 5 twinkles.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great common-sense checklist for page layouts, August 19, 2008
The authors open with a statement that this book is not a checklist. However, I beg to differ. Once you begin to read through the chapters on category pages, individual pages, checkout pages, and so on, you'll realize that they are addressing the main concerns of building pages that properly convert, step by step.

If you run a web site, and you're interested in learning how experienced marketers use design to persuade users to do what you want them to do (i.e. convert), then you should read this book. It's a very straight-forward read, with many screen shots and sample charts used for illustrative purposes. Anyone who owns a web site can benefit from their examples and tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars You MUST absolutely read this one if you want to build an ecommerce site or if you are having one built for you!, April 5, 2008
F. Shayan (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
I read this wonderful book so that I know what to ask for when I have a site built for me. However, after finishing the book, I think that I must design the whole site myself since I want each and every page to incorporate and comply with all the advice of this book. The book will not take long to read; about four to five nights with pauses to think and look at examples. It will really open your eyes to a great deal of what at first feels like common sense stuff, yet you come to realize that you would have made all the mistakes possible and your conversion rates would have seriously suffered without the benefit of its advice. The book is not just for ecommerce. It is essential reading for anyone who cares about their conversion rate, whatever form their conversion might take. Thank you Lance and Sandra and please please please do not stop here. I will read anything else you will ever write.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Web Design for ROI: Turning Browsers into Buyers & Prospects into Leads
Web Design for ROI: Turning Browsers into Buyers & Prospects into Leads by Lance Loveday (Paperback - October 27, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.01