From the Author
I ran a web hosting business for nine years and found that many, if not most of my clients had never learned how to use any of the functions associated with hosting so I wrote this book to try and teach just those skills.
I must admit to having fallen in love with WordPress (possibly a little TOO much) and I honestly find it hard to understand why anyone would use anything different to build a site! WordPress is wonderful!
My passion is to help others achieve their goals with their websites/blogs. I believe that, with a little help, anyone can have an awesome site. I truly hope this book helps you with that!
From the Back Cover
- Interpret web hosting terms, domains, and DNS
- Choose the right platform to install
- Use built-in databases and new e-mail accounts
- Work with FTP clients, use cloud services, and back up your site
Ready to take the plunge into web hosting? Learn how to do it yourself!
Thinking about hosting your own website or blog? Or have you already signed up with a service and want to be sure you're getting everything you paid for? This guide to web hosting shares what Peter Pollock learned the hard way, so you don't have to make his mistakes. Learn the secrets of web hosting, showcase your site, and get your money's worth.
- What it means find out what goes into web hosting and understand the different technologies
- Some practical stuff discover the advantages of hosted e-mail and the different ways to upload and download files
- Databases and logs choose a database technology and learn to protect and speed up your site with information from logs
- Essential security protect your visitors with SSL certificates and secure your site by locking up the SSH
- It's your domain enhance your site with creative use of your domain name, subdomains, and add-on domains
- When there's a glitch recognize common problems and find out how to resolve them
- About control gain more of it by using a virtual private server or dedicated server
- Calling all geeks make the most of command-line access if you have it
Open the book and find:
- How your website is like a store
- Tips on matching services to your needs
- A guide to choosing a server
- Advice on managing your database
- How scripts can make life easier
- Things to consider when sharing a server
- When you might want to change hosts
- Ten useful, free apps