Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on June 9, 2015
OK
on October 30, 2001
This is a very difficult book to process.
Both my wife and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where our eyes are supposed to go.
While there are many interesting issues that are culled from other books, there's not enough depth to make any chapters stand out in my mind. Want a great book on the web? Get "Don't Make Me Think!".....
on July 29, 2010
This comment is about the 1st edition (note: it has the same dimensions but is a shorter book and consequently is a lighter weight).

As a physical entity, I think it is the worst-designed book I've ever tried to read.

It is fantastically heavy (THUMP!!! as it hits the floor), yet the pages are flimsy and, being landscape format, hang down under their own weight. I guess they expected me to read it flat on a table, with flat lighting so that the sheen of the paper doesn't reflect light. Additionally, the font sizes are too small and the colour contrast not strong enough for the font.

As a guide to web redesign, well, puleeease! OK, I am biased because my wrist is still aching from holding the book, but the authors and various contributors spent so many pages in the introduction blowing the trumpet for the authors and the virtues of the book that, by the time we got to some substance, my only reaction was "I've read this before, and more clearly explained, in several other cheaper and shorter books." I saw two illustrations of redesigns but couldn't make out what I was supposed to be looking at/for because the text was too small and in white on a light blue background, and the layout was confusing with no clear reading route to follow.

A terrible book. I would give it zero stars if I could.

Try "The Elements of User Experience", "Don't Make Me Think!" and "Designing with the Mind in Mind".
on September 11, 2002
When you're 11 pages in and they're still bragging about their credentials and promising how much this book is going to solve your problems, you know you're in trouble.
Talk about over analyzing a topic. Buy this book if you enjoy flow charts, industry double-talk and pomposity.
on July 19, 2008
I had to use this book on college, out of all my books this is the only one that I burned. I even kept my math books. Now that I am an instructor and author myself I look back on this book as the single worse publication currently in the industry of web design. Yes they do spend too much time boasting about themselves. The book goes way off topic about topics unrelated to web design without even a single attempt to justify why it has done so.

Kelly is (and I quote from the book) a self-proclaimed "design ethnographer," I do not buy into this line of crap at all. A professional does not self-proclaim anything, if through hard work your peers gave you this title that is one thing. Other than that this is a sign of a person with serious egotistical issues about themselves.
on November 11, 2009
We are not off to a good start so far with this book. If Kelly Goto was the Creative director, designer, and producer for many high profile clients such as Adobe Corporation. Have you seen their web site lately? How long ago was she responsible for it, one might ask. In addition the book includes tools you can use today, as in right now ? As in your current project. They suggest these tools are downloadable from the books accompanying website. A web site I might add that has no contact details on it's front page ? Maybe your own web site needs a re-design people as you have to go to the "about us" page to get these details folks ??? And I'm only up to page 2 in the book. A book who's title states "Web ReDesign / Workflow that works? Well I don't see how that works if you can't even get your own web site right.

Then when I attempted to download these files which are in sit format. I'm on a mac. They don't even have the good sense to make these files pdf or xhtml downloadable. You have to go get "Stuffit" to open their garbled mess which didn't exactly endear me to their book.

All in all I can't take any of it seriously now. As I am left to imagine the authors are incompetent? and couldn't run a bus shelter let alone a work project . . .

I give this book one star until further notice. . .