5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient and Portable -- A Great Grill for Travel
Published on February 1, 2002 by Travelholic

3.0 out of 5 stars Good grill, if you want portability or space saving
I purchased this for two reasons. First, I wanted to be able to cook over charcoal. My gas grill is great but sometimes you want that smokey flavor that only charcoal offers. Second, I didn't want to use up a large chunk of floor space to put this up for the winter.

The good: Size is great for storage and the cooking surface is big enough for three steaks or...
Published 15 months ago by Scott C

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient and Portable -- A Great Grill for Travel, February 1, 2002
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
My first "Go-Anywhere Weber Grill," purchased in 1984, sold me on design and efficiency. After cooking my dinner, I'd shut the side and top air vents thus suffocating the fire. I found I could get two, three, and sometimes four meals from a single load of charcoal (depending on cooking times). And, on picnics, the fire would be out and the grill "touchable" after about 15 minutes. The grill is large enough to handle most meals for say 6 to 8 persons and even small (4-6 lb) chickens, but if you're cooking turkey, this isn't the grill for you. I'm now on my second "G-A" grill, as the first bounced around the world with me in Korea, Yemen, China, and the U.S. until the movers crushed it in 1993. Ended up contacting Weber directly when I couldn't find a replacement locally, and number 2 is in good shape after 8 years of rigorous use.

Update: 11/4/13: Now in use 20 years and still works well with few signs of wear --though I treat it with respect and affection, having travelled with me to Ethiopia, Mongolia, China, and the Philippines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable or secondary grill, May 9, 2007
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
This is a well-designed small scale charcoal grill. I generally use it when I only want to cook for one or two people or when portability matters.

I've had my Go-Anywhere charcoal grill for about three years, and it has held up extremely well. The durable exterior coating is very resistent to the elements (and it's small enough that you could easily let it cool down and chuck it into a closet if you want to keep it indoors). The only thing that has really shown any significant wear is the grill grate, but these are easily replacable (and, in the long run, all grates give out eventually).

The grill has four air vents (two top mounted exhaust vents, and two vents mounted along the bottom sides). Opening all four vents allows enough oxygen flow for medium temperature cooking. Closing all four vents will suffocate a fire pretty quickly. Cooking with the lid off and the bottom vents open will net you a hot fire that will be great for searing.

Additionally, the lid can be "rockered" back onto the body of the grill. This means that you don't have to look around for someplace to put a potentially very hot piece of metal *and* you can use it as a windshield if you want.

If you like charcoal cooking and you either want a small grill or you need a portable grill, I would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice grill, June 6, 2001
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
Hi there, I've just recently purchased this grill and have used it 2 times already. I can honestly say that this grill has exceeded my expectations! It is well built, and folds up very compactly for storage. It (like all Weber products) cooks very evenly, and refuses to flare up. The air dampers are easy to operate, and the porcelin coating will ensure many years of use. You will also be suprised at how much food you can cook on it. (I have 5 kids, and the grill is still hot when we've eaten our full) We enjoy it, and I'm sure you will too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great portable grill, June 29, 2005
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
My grate just died after about 10 years of heavy use. Rather then buy a replacement grate, I wasn't thinking and just purchased a whole new portable grill. The next day I purchased a replacement grate online from the weber folks and that transaction was very smooth as has always been the case with Amazon. So now I have two functioning portable grills. It seems to me that the food sits closer to the charcoal on this then it does full sized grills, so heat has never been an issue with mine, although the charcoal may loose it's heat a little faster as you can't really make a pile of charcoal or stack the brickets very much. I actually think it is easier to burn things on this grill then others, and learning how to use the vents to control heat is something you will need to do. Honestly though, this is the only grill I have any real experience with and I love the portability and often wrap it in a trash bag and take it to state parks for 'eating out'.

My only complaint is they have changed the handles to plastic on the new models which now require mits to handle during the process. The old model had wood handles and I never needed a mit to take the cover off and check my food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Small Grill, January 4, 2007
Tagoladad "tagoladad" (Woodmere, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
We use it for a small tailgate (we have other grills for larger tailgate parties) party serving three people. It is not big enough to serve more people. After several uses we learned that we had to use more charcoal, and once we made the change and increased the amount of charcoal (almost to the top)the grill was able to cook a second round of food. Packs up very easily, sets up very easily, and puts together very easily. Can cook 2 steaks and a few franks OR 6 hamburgers at one time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewers, please note....., July 29, 2006
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
To the reviewers who report that the grille doesn't get hot enough, the slightest breeze blows the flame out and you should need to stock up on extra gas cannisters, I would point out:

THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE CHARCOAL MODEL!!

Once the coals are fully going on mine, nothing short of Hurricane Katrina could blow them out, and with the proper amount of charcoal loaded in, you have all the heat you'll ever need. I have nothing but praise for mine. Nice going, Weber!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good portable charcoal grill, June 14, 2009
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
A good charcoal grill for when you need portability. I recently bought a Smokey Joe Silver and cooked side-by-side with my Go-Anywhere, and this grill is definitely more convenient for camping trips and other excursions. Both are good quality, as you'd expect with a Weber, but the Go-Anywhere has a lot more control for vents and packs up better for travel. It also has the prongs so I can hang the hot grill cover off the side, and the Smokey Joe Silver does not. Capacity on this grill is about six burgers, or three to four steaks (depending on size).

For those who say they prefer a cheaper portable grill to the Weber... I did exactly that, and junked the cheap, rusting-out grill after one year in favor of the Weber, which I expect to last for years. Weber is quality that I'm willing to pay more for. My only complaint, as another reviewer noted, is the plastic handles.

---Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy as pie, June 23, 2000
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
We have moved into a new house and will probably buy a gas grill next year. For this summer I though it would be good to have a small grill. I chose the go-anywhere grill because I always liked weber products. This grill is great.
First, it's great to use real charcoal. It absolutely tastes better. And the grill uses a lot less coal then you would think. It's easy and fast to light the coal - and cooks just great.
Even after I buy a new grill, I'm sure I'll keep using this grill for fish and other things - just for the taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 years later..., October 16, 2009
mikecz "hardware man" (the other Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
we're still using our Weber G-A. Bought it when we were dating in the late '70's. Got married, had kids, sent them off to college, & this little grill was along for the adventure many times. I've usually kept it in the garage or covered porch when not in use so it has held up very well. None of the porcelin finish has come off, the stainless steel vent controls are fine, & the teak handles are OK (tho the lid's handle is getting a little charred on the underside.) Another reviewer said she puts a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil on the bottom (way down there, under the charcoal grate & ashes); I've done this for most of the time we've had ours, too, & I think this and mostly storing the grill out of the weather have contributed directly to the very long product life we've experienced. It has, however, gone through numerous overnight rainstorms & I think at least one snowstorm - it's not like the grill is a wimp, it will just last (maybe a LOT) longer if you're a little nice to it.

This little sucker is HOT! Because the cooking grate isn't as far above the charcoal grate as in the "full sized" kettle grills, even with just a single layer of burning charcoal, it really cooks hot. I prefer it over the 22" (Weber) kettle grill for hot direct cooking of hamburgers, steaks, and, more recently, charring peppers that are called for in many Mexican dishes. We've done game hens (2 at a time), a whole small chicken (parts are easier on this little grill), fish, shrimp, & a few ribs, but these are trickier (but possible) on this little guy.

Several reviewers like how economical this grill is for its charcoal use. Oh, yeah. With most of my cooking times lasting only 6-10 minutes, there are always bits of charcoal in there that have been lit up 3 & 4 times. (Somewhere along the line I found a piece of expanded metal mesh that I cut to just barely fit down on the original bottom of my charcoal starting chimney. This lets me restart much smaller pieces of charcoal that would fall thru the chimney's bottom.) The vents either shut down better (or the air volume is so much smaller) that this little G-A grill snuffs out the charcoal much faster than the bigger kettle grill does. Besides saving the charcoal for another use, the unit cools down much faster so you can pack it into the car faster at the end of a picnic or camping trip.

If you're looking at this unit as a first grill, don't hesitate. You don't need a lot of other stuff to start charcoal grilling, either. Some charcoal, a charcoal starting chimney is highly recommended (10-15 minutes to start cooking vs. 1/2 hour at least without a chimney), a real big all metal spoon (got mine at a thrift store) for moving hot charcoal around & closing the hot vents at the end of a cooking session. You can use the pancake turner, tongs, oven mitts, & basting brush from your kitchen drawer. YOU DO NOT NEED A BARBEQUE FORK!!! (EVER!!!) You do need a stiff (stainless steel bristles?) brush - wood handles get along with barbeque heat way better than plastic - I scrub the hot grill immediately after taking the food off - it's a lot easier than when the grill is cold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected. But is is a Weber., October 7, 2007
This review is from: Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill (Lawn & Patio)
This is my first "Go-Anwhere Weber Grill." I've had it about a week now giving me enough time to try a few steak, chicken, and burger dinners. Big enough to cook for 2-4, maybe 6 if the steaks are reasonable and not half a cow. Don't expect to cook any beer-can whole chicken with the lid on though as it would be to tall.

My impressions so far? This little Weber is a real grill and feels much more substantial than the cheap-o China grills in most discount stores. The charcoal grill rack is good thick steel wire, and the chromed cooking grate is thick enough for what it is designed to hold. It required no tools to assemble. The only assembly being inserting the leg/bottom vent controls. The legs fold up to hold the lid on when transporting. It has good vent controls for those who require some kind of "touch" to get just the right heat. I just use it wide open.

It has a totally nuts 10 year warranty! I would feel ashamed to try to cash in on that if it failed in ten years. Replacement parts can be ordered right from Weber. Try that from a no-name cheap-o. This grill is big enough to do the job but small enough I could put it in my dishwasher. I'd recommend that one put down aluminum foil on the bottom to make cleanup supper easy. Don't block the vents if you do. I recommend it and will use it year-round both for camping and on the patio. I'll report back if I manage to wear it out in 10 years :)

Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill