5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome grill, but is it worth the extra cash?
NOTE: This review was updated on 08/10/2011. The update will follow my original review.

Published on March 28, 2011 by Steven

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Some Complaints
It perfectly fits 2 St. Louis cut pork ribs. The table is obviously useful but so is the rack below. The basket isn't so useful.

Minor complaint: The screws go in holes on top of the table. It made is harder to clean whatever you spill into the holes.

Published on July 11, 2010 by RR

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome grill, but is it worth the extra cash?, March 28, 2011
Steven (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weber 1421001 Performer Charcoal Grill, Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

First I'm going to compare/contrast the various Weber grills, then for the new Weber user I'll explain why the Weber Kettle grill is such a fantastic choice. I have used and abused my Weber One-Touch Silver for over six years now, and though the Performer has quite a few advantages over the other models, is it really worth the extra cash? I say yes, and here's why -

I've used just about every variation of the Weber kettle grills over the years, and I currently own a One-Touch Silver. The following features are the advantages over the Silver.

- Hinged Cooking Grate
One of the first upgrades I bought for my Silver was a hinged grate, it's nice that this one (as well as the Gold) comes with it; I have found this instrumental for indirect cooking.

- Ash Pan
Also like the Gold, the Performer comes with a much higher quality ash pan. The Silvers ash catcher has been problematic in the past (it's fidgety, cheap and doesn't function well in high winds).

The features above apply to the Gold, which is roughly half the cost as the Performer. Here are the advantages over the Gold, justifying the extra cost -

- Table Surface
This is a huge advantage. Having plates, condiments, spices, etc nearby as well as being able to do some prep right next to my grill has been awesome. I've used separate tables in the past with my Silver, but having a dedicated table is far more convenient.

- Storage Bin
The storage bin is designed to hold a couple bags of charcoal, but I actually find it more useful for storing everything other than coal. I have a place for charcoal in the garage and I actually find this more useful for storing things like wood chunks, grill mitts, the grill cover (when not in use) trash bags, paper towels, and things of that
nature.

- Gas Ignition
I wasn't sure how much I would actually use this when I bought the grill, because chimney starters are easy to use, but there are a couple distinct advantages with gas ignition -

First, it's easier to light the coals more evenly. With a chimney starter, by the time the coals near the top are ready - the ones near the bottom have burned for some time, which means the coals will not be lit as evenly when it's time to cook. With gas ignition it's easier to obtain a more even heat across the coals. Also, the coals are ready a bit faster with gas ignition.

Second, it's far easier to re-light previously used coals. With a chimney starter this is a pain because you have to collect the previously used coals, which can be messy. With gas ignition all you have to do is rake the coals towards the center and press a button.

- Wheels and Locking Casters
In my neighborhood we like to do cook-offs during the summer and everybody brings their grills out in the front, so we can easily talk trash with each other :). Moving my Silver around is far more cumbersome than moving the Performer around. I always had problems with the legs sliding out of the slots, and it's just more of a pain because you have to drag it around on two wheels. The Performer is MUCH easier to move around.

- Swing Away Lid Holder
It's much easier to move the lid to the side rather than using a hook under the lid. The lid can also act as a bit of a wind-guard in this position. The downside is that the lid does get in the way a little bit, but overall I prefer this method.

- Thermometer
Having a lid-mounted thermometer is great! I was a little disappointed because when I purchased the Performer I thought I was going to get the version with the removable thermometer (takes temps at the lid, remove it and it doubles as a meat thermometer). Unfortunately my version's thermometer is in a fixed position, but it's still great to have.

- Better Overall Construction
One thing I don't like about the Silver and Gold Kettles is the cheap construction feel, especially the legs. The legs are extremely light-weight hollow aluminum, and though I haven't had any issues yet, they feel like they could buckle if, say, my dog ran into my grill. Also, while moving my Silver I've had problems with the legs sliding out of the slots. The Performer feels FAR sturdier. Nothing feels cheap here. Some reviewers think the table top is a bit cheap, but I disagree, it's a very thick and sturdy plastic that feels like it could last forever without weathering.

Other perks include the built-in tool holder, which is better than the add-on you can purchase for the lower-end models (doesn't fall off, doesn't look cheap-ish, etc), the storage under the table and the better-designed vent tab on the top vent (has plastic heat shield making it cooler to the touch).

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this grill. The only tiny issue I can really think of, which another reviewer mentioned, is the leg slots on the bottom of the grill. It looks like they just used a standard Silver or Gold kettle and welded on a few parts to fit the Performer specs. It's really not a big deal at all, but it does 'cheapen' the grill a little bit. Also, the price is a bit steep. Overall the price does seem worth it (though for the same price you can buy two Golds), but I think at this price they should have included the grill cover as a bonus, ah well.

Why Weber?
There are many grill choices out there today, both gas and charcoal, but I will always use a Weber Kettle. Why? Well, charcoal certainly does have a distinct flavor that many prefer, and really, cooking with charcoal isn't much more cumbersome than cooking with gas. I have used many different grills in the past and I've found that, for charcoal, the Weber Kettle is the most versatile, most predictable charcoal grill available. Weber uses high quality components that last for years, and the performance is unmatched. The dual-vent system allows you to do anything from smoke at low 200s to sear at high 500s with ease. Also, the one-touch feature makes cleaning up a simple process.

I highly recommend using a chimney starter with the sub-Performer kettle grills. Chimney starters make lighting charcoal a snap, you just load the starter full of charcoal and either light newspaper, oil-brushed paper towel, or any other starter (such as a paraffin starter) underneath. This allows you to very easily light non-pre-soaked coals, which saves money, time and gives you a better flavor by avoiding lighter fluid or pre-soaked off-flavors.

Webers are extremely consistent - typically higher end Weber Kettles just offer more convenience, so even a lower end Silver Kettle can cook just as good as a higher end Performer, you really just pay for convenience rather than performance. I have used my lower-end Silver for years and it can easily keep up with the much more expensive Performer. So, which Weber Kettle is right for you? Here are the various Kettle's I've used in the past and my thoughts on them -

- Weber Silver 18.5 Inch
This is a great starter grill. For the low price of $70 you can own one of the best charcoal grills around! The biggest downside in my opinion is the cheap ash-pan and the non-hinged cooking grate. I really don't like the Silver's ash pan, I have accidentally dumped mine one too many times. Also, with the 18.5 inch you will have to spend money to upgrade to a higher quality hinged grate, which is a godsend for indirect grillers. If you want to get into a Weber Kettle at a great price and you have a smaller family then I'd recommend checking this one out. Indirect cooking on the 18.5 grills is not as good as the 22.5 inch variety.

- Weber Silver 22.5 Inch
This is my previous every-day grill and also the one I'd recommend last. Like the 18.5 inch Kettle you get the cruddy ash-catcher, but you also get the non-hinged grate and this Kettle costs $90.00 new. I would recommend upgrading to Gold for an extra $60.

- Weber 22.5 Inch Gold
This is the sweet-spot for Weber Kettles. Here you get an excellent ash-pan and a much higher quality hinged cooking grate. This is the grill I would recommend to most people.

- Weber 22.5 Inch Performer
This is the fully-loaded Weber Kettle. You get all of the conveniences of the Gold, but you also get a table surface, electric ignition, charcoal bin, lid-thermometer and other goodies that make grilling with charcoal more of a convenience. This is the big-daddy Kettle, but it comes at a high cost - about twice as much as a 22.5 inch Gold!

Really, you can cook just as well on all Weber Kettles (except indirect-cooking is more convenient on the 22.5 inch variety). You are really spending extra money on convenience, so pick a Kettle grill that fits your budget. In my opinion the 22.5 inch One-Touch Gold is the best bang for the buck, but the Performer makes charcoal grilling much more convenient. Pick one that fits your budget, but make sure you pick a Weber! There's nothing else that really compares.

The Performer offers great features that really make charcoal grilling a convenience. The price is a bit steep, but if you have the extra scratch and the added features appeal to you then you really can't go wrong with this grill. I only have a couple minor qualm. For these reasons I give the Perfomer a 4.5/5, rounded up to 5 for Amazon.

*** REVIEW UPDATE ***

I'm not sure if people are still reading this review or not, but I just wanted to update it with the following tips -

I've had the chance to use this grill for around five months now and I have completely fallen in love with the gas ignition. Mainly because it makes it so darn easy to conserve charcoal. I can literally make 2 to 3 20lb bags last nearly all summer (typically grilling for two people), and I grill just about daily.

I constantly see people waste charcoal. Either they will put WAY too much in for what they are grilling, or they will throw all of the ashed over charcoal out, or they will leave the vents open (or the top off) when they are done, burning up the remaining coals. DON'T DO THIS! I have grilled up to FOUR times on a single heap of charcoal (without replacing any coals) and this grill makes it a breeze! Here are some tips for you guys who might need them -

- You don't need a ton of charcoal if you are just grilling a few burgers, chicken breasts, dogs, etc. I can grill a burger with probably less than ten coals, I typically use just enough to surround the food on the grate. There are times when you just need a lot of coal, for instance if you are searing steaks, but for day to day use - you just don't need all that much.

- REUSE your charcoal! This can be a pain with a chimney starter, but it's very easy with gas ignition. Just shake off the dust, pile them up and press a button. I typically light my used-up coals and if I need more I'll throw just enough fresh briquettes on top for what I need. I never ever throw away coal.

- This works well for smaller families, here's what I do...
Store a small pile of fresh charcoal (20-30 briquettes perhaps) inside the grill off to one side. Pile it up the wall of the grill. Light just enough used coal as you need and if you need more simply transfer a few fresh briquettes over to the lit side (using tongs). Just make sure you have the coals far enough to the side so they don't catch with the lit coals. Doing this makes it very easy to transfer coals when you need them, plus since there is less reflective heat coming from the bottom of the grill (the coals act as a bit of a heat-buffer), you will have a better 'cool zone'. I love this technique because I don't have to dig into my charcoal bag when I just need a few more coals, I just move them over!

- Shut down your grill ASAP. Close all vents and put your lid back on the second you are done cooking. I typically begin shutdown a few minutes before my food is even finished because it takes a little time for the grill to cool down. With a single heap of charcoal, if I am being real conservative (and just grilling simple fare) I can get up to four uses before I need to start replacing coals. This is a HUGE money saver. And like I said, just throw a few fresh coals on from your side-pile as you need them, you don't need fresh coals for every grill session.

- If you will be using gas ignition, then shut down the gas as soon as the bottom layer of your coals is lit and let the lit coals finish the job of lighting the others. This really only takes a few minutes. I get MANY uses (25 or more, I'll count next time and update) out of a single mini propane tank (like the ones you use for camping).

Well, this review is certainly taking up a lot of space now! I hope you found these tips helpful!

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect charcoal grill... almost., April 9, 2010
While I love my Genesis S-320, I decided I wanted to get in to charcoal grilling when time allows. Without question, I was going to buy a Weber, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with the One-Touch Gold, One-Touch Platinum (knowing I'd still buy accessories for both) or the Performer.

What really sold me was the propane ignition and the cart. Having this much workspace outside is invaluable, and I just don't trust larger items like turkey to the tables on the One-Touch Platinum or the Weber 7413 Work Table that I would have got for the Gold. And when you compare the price of the Platinum to the Performer the only reason not to get the Performer is if you're completely uninterested in the propane ignition.

Ordering from Amazon was the usual experience. With Prime, my Performer was on my porch two days after I ordered it via UPS. Despite being nearly 100 pounds, this doesn't need to go through one of the local logistics companies that are usually used with big items, so that was a huge plus in my book.

After inspecting the box for damage, the first thing I looked for was where the Performer was made. As I thought (and in spite of what some have said on different grilling forums) it clearly says "Designed and engineered in the USA" right above "Made in the USA". So, yes, the Performer is (as of April 2010, when Amazon shows this model number as "new") made in the United States.

This being my third Weber grill, I didn't expect the pieces to be pristine, and wasn't shocked to see that there were a few minor paint scrapes, despite the box showing absolutely zero evidence of being mishandled. This is the same experience as when I bought my first Genesis at a local store, and my next Genesis, and... Basically, if you're expecting every piece of a Weber grill to be scratch-free out of the box, you're going to be disappointed, so be prepared.

Assembly was pretty straightforward. As they often are, the Weber manual was easy to follow and well illustrated. All you need to put this together is a hammer (for the wheels), a Phillips screwdriver, and a 3/8" wrench. I put it together by myself in about 30 minutes with no problems at all. I was mildly amused (and at the same time, a bit annoyed) that the bottom of the kettle has post holes for legs. The only thing that's different on the kettle between the Performer and One-Touch Gold is two metal flaps that let you mount it to the cart.

The Performer can use the "fat green" propane canisters that you usually see on camping equipment, as well as the type of canisters you'd usually use with a torch kit. I was quite disappointed to discover that the redesigned Performer still uses the old red-button "spark-plug" ignition, instead of the electric battery-based ignition used on all of their other grills.

That brings me to the loss of a star. There are a few other design problems with the Performer that are disappointing. The first, which I haven't seen depicted in any picture of this item here or on Weber's site, is that the propane tank hangs down below the control panel. It looks kind of chintzy, and frankly, at this price, it shouldn't. The other design annoyance is with the holder for the top of the kettle. It's almost all metal, and it's quite rough. The first time you use it, you're going to put some nice silver scratches on your black lid. I'm experimenting with high-temp silicone on the rough edges, to see if that solves the problem.

Another warning: At the time of this review, Weber's site has a mix of pictures for the current Performer. Some depict the lid with a small, removable thermometer on the handle. Some (correctly) depict the more Genesis-like thermometer mounted between the handle and edge of the lid. Additionally, Amazon's picture depicts the Thermoset surface as black, it's really more of a grey color.

All things being equal, it's a very nice grill. You get the sturdy cart, One-Touch cleaning system with ash catcher, hinged cooking grate, Char-Basket holders, gas ignition, and a place to keep your charcoal.

Is it a crazy-good value? Well... that's hard to say. If you start off with a One-Touch Silver or Gold and start adding accessories, the price isn't unreasonable. If anything, it's like buying most of your accessories in one box. But if you don't care a lot about the ignition or big cart, you're probably much better off getting a One-Touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, easy charcoal grill., May 20, 2010
Randall A. Juip (Grosse Pointe, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I have been a gas griller for years -- first propane and then a Jenn Air hooked directly to my house's natural gas line. But I've always missed the taste of charcoal. My only hesitation was that I didn't want to abandon the ease and convenience of flicking a switch to light a grill; charcoal by necessity involved some level of patience and work to get the coals properly lit.

No more. Weber charcoal grills have always been considered the best. This one has all the benefits of a traditional Weber grill -- including a vast array of grilling accessories -- but adds a touch of convenience. The LP-canister gas light assist feature is AWESOME. It eliminates the need to hassle with newspaper and a chimney, and banishes charcoal lighter fluid to where it belongs: the garbage. This grill lights coals quickly and efficiently. I don't like that the Weber uses the old push-button igniter (instead of a battery system like more modern grills), but the gas light-assist system is so easy and convenient to use that these criticisms are easy to forget.

Another really nice feature is the integrated charcoal storage bin. It's not airtight sealed, but since it tilts back and forth on a bottom hinge beneath the table surface, it'll keep your charcoal reasonably dry and safe. The table is very generous, as well. It has enough room for platters of food, cooking utensils, spices, etc... The wheels and casters are smooth and allow the grill to be moved, easily and without much effort at all.

We purchased a pre-assembled grill, so I didn't have the hassles that others have written about here. The grill looked nice -- not perfect, but it's a grill. C'Mon, you're just going to get it filthy anyway (if you're doing things right).

I only have two gripes with this model. First, the table surface is not smooth, likely by design. This makes it a very hard to clean surface, especially if meat juices or marinade spills onto it. Second, and by far the biggest gripe is the lid holder. The idea here is that, instead of a hook to hang the lid off the side of the kettle, the lid slides back and forth to the left, and is suspended there. Some of the customer images above show it in action. This is a GREAT feature, but it blocks access to part of the grill and makes flipping burgers somewhat difficult. I've found myself not using it and instead, placing the lid on the deck.

All in all, though, this is a great grill. It's a bit more pricey than the standard Weber kettles, but the additional conveniences and features make everything worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best grills ever made..., June 12, 2010
I say this is ONE of the best grills ever, only because I already said that the Weber One-Touch Gold is the best grill ever in a previous review. These are both fantastic grills, but now that I have a Performer, with its added features, I will have to say it might be better than my Weber Gold. Why? Here are my reasons...

It has a gas ignition system. So I no longer have to use my Weber Chimney Starter which works great, but 5 minutes of gas burning under my pile of charcoal is much easier. Plus its one less piece of equipment I need cluttering up my garage.

It has a decent sized work area. The tabletop area on the Performer is very handy. My Gold does not have a shelf, so I keep it near a small table and use that as a work area. Thats one less piece of furniture I now have cluttering up my deck.

It has a thermometer on the lid. I love that feature! Normally I remove the lid, hold my hand over the coals, and start counting seconds to try to figure out what my temperature level is. Since I no longer have to heat up my hand to check temperature, my beer stays colder when I hold it. How can you put a price on a feature that important?

It has a wire lid holder instead of a small hook welded to the inside of the lid. I was okay with the hook lid holder but my wife always had a problem getting it lined up. I know, why is my wife even touching the grill? The Performers wire lid holder hangs the lid much higher, and is actually pretty handy if it is windy because it blocks the wind much better than the hook type lid holder which hangs the lid pretty low down on the kettle.

It has a storage area. I know the storage area is designed to hold charcoal, but I store my charcoal in the garage because when it is stored outside it tends to absorb moisture from the air. In the garage it stays nice and dry. I use the storage area to store some tools and I roll up the grill cover and store it there when I am cooking.

There is only one negative comment I have about this grill. Weber should have stayed with the 5 lb propane tanks. I am not a fan of using the 1 lb disposable propane tanks. There are two ways around this problem, the first is to get a hose and adapter so you can connect to a 20 lb propane tank. Or you can get a Propane Tank Refill Adapter and then use it to fill up the 1 lb disposable bottles from your 20 lb propane tank. That is what I do and I am able to reuse the disposable bottles over and over again.

In my opinion a Weber charcoal grill is superior to any other charcoal grill I have ever used. Maybe something even better will come along one day, but I cannot imagine what they could do because the Weber is already charcoal grilling perfection.

Now all I need is to get a Weber Kettle Rotisserie and I am all set. Fathers day is coming, are my sons paying attention???

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Some Complaints, July 11, 2010
RR (NYC, NY USA) - See all my reviews

Minor complaint: The lid holder keeps the lid too close to the grill. It doesn't allow you to reach into the charcoal basket next to the holder. I just put the lid on the ground.

Moderate complaint: The propane lighter requires the charcoal basket to be in the center so you have to move it after it's lit. People don't usually put their charcoal in the center.

Major complaint: They moved the thermometer! The new models have the thermometer on the side rather than on the handle. If you're indirect grilling with the lid holes over the food, the thermometer gives you the temperature of the direct heat right above the coal basket which is useless. When comparing grills, consider the thermometers on the new Webers to be useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weber Performer: IT *REALLY* PERFORMS!!!, September 7, 2010
I hate to sound uppity ... but when it comes to charcoal grills, you've got two choices: A Weber or a piece of crap; it's that simple. Weber-Stephen *INVENTED* the kettle-style charcoal grill - and they have it dialed in! Period! Spend your money wisely and cook your food right the first time; don't burn your cash up on another no-name grill year-after-year-after ...

Just bought a new Weber Performer - this one, the 1421001 - boxed - from a major appliance retailer for 245 bucks! I've always loved everything about charcoal except the whole experience of the lighter fluids, or manually lighting it, waiting, adding more charcoal ... etc. So I bought the finest Weber propane grill (a beautiful stainless steel Summit) known to mankind a coupla years ago - and still love it - but some Steven Raichlen and Weber recipes just don't hit the mark cooked on gas. And they never will.

Enter the Weber "Performer". Wow! The name says it all! IT *REALLY* PERFORMS!!! Can there be a better (e.g. easier to use!) charcoal grill? Toss on the hardwood charcoal or lump briquettes, hit the gas igniter button ... and you have just enough time to have a beer with the gang and run back in for the dinner items.

I despise the word "perfect" when describing or rating anything. I just don't think anyone has "perfected" anything well enough to the point where it's a bona-fide "10". Well, meet the exception. There are some things from older Performer models that have been changed, yes, but in the REAL world of the backyard environment, this Weber design has been tweaked and, yes, "perfected" to the point that you have almost the same convenience of a gas grill without the hassles of typical match-light charcoal ... and you get that incredible over-coals taste!

That's certainly a no-brainer trade-off, trust me! All-in-all ... it's ... PERFECT!

Assembly is a "problem" only because you (should!) already know what's in store when you're finished!!! It *does* take someone smarter than an avocado pit to unpack it, look at the perfectly-illustrated manual and insert 18 - that's all! - 18 Philips head screws. Two people for the first few steps is better - but not necessary. A coupla savvy 8th graders should be able to knock this off in about 15-20 minutes. (There's just never a couple around when you need 'em!)

Cannot rate this Weber gas-lighted, CHARCOAL-BURNING wonder highly enough!!! Amazon rating: Just 5 stars? This deserves *10* gold stars if it deserves even one!

Worth every 2010 dollar spent on it! My only regret is not buying my Weber Performer sooner ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey But Nice!, July 21, 2010
When my wife saw this Weber in a local ad, she wanted it. We bought it, instead through Amazon, who unlike the brick and mortar store, had it in stock. Thank you Amazon.

Pricey---when you consider that the basic Weber sells for around $90.00, the $329.00 for this unit seems more than a bit high. But, if you're already a Weber fan, this is the ultimate model.

First, assembly is a breeze. It is so simple, all they have is a series of drawings that clearly show how it's supposed to go together----however, do use the instructions or you might not get it right. All parts were there and I only had to slightly bend one metal part so that the screw holes aligned. The materials used are of excellent quality.

Features---the ring bar on the side is for holding the lid when you access the grill area---and unlike the old hook, it works very well. ---the tilt out bin easily holds a 20 pound bag of charcoal, as advertised. ----the "one touch" method of cleaning out ashes and the ash collector worked very well.

---the propane and pezo starter are really neat. At first, I thought, who needs it. We've always used an electric starter and we know of many people who love the chiminney starter. But this is totally cool. I bought two large containers of propane for $5.00 and hooked one up. Turned on the gas and pushed the starter button and it fired right off. It took less than a minute to light the edges of the charcoal, so the amount of gas used was minimal.

---The unit, as with other Webers, cooks like a charm. BTW--it also includes two side bins for indirect cooking (normally an accessory you have to purchase).

The only negative comment I have is the tool holder. It only has three hooks and for some of our tools, these were too wide for the handle ring. And when you consider the number of tools you may have, three hooks are just not enough. However the good news is, you can take one of their regular tool hangers (normally designed to hook over the lip of the kettle) and hang it from the center of the ring that holds the lid on the side. Locating the holder there doesn't interfere with the lid. All you have to do is bend the tabs with a pair of pliers to keep the holder in place.

Otherwise---a great unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Term Review, August 7, 2010
I have now owned this grill for about 1.5 yrs and thought a long term view would be appreciated. I give this grill 5 stars. I absolutely love it in most every respect. To avoid repeating with others have stated, I will just hit the highlights.

Pros:
The grill is very durable. I live in Texas and the climate is very rough on grills. I also use the grill year round at least once per week and probably in the range of 5-6 times per month. Nothing on the grill needs replacing! Ultimately the grate will probably need replacing but it is still in good shape. The other poster that talked about potential scratches from the lid holder have not occurred on my grill. Once you get a routine on starting this grill you can be cooking in 20 minutes. Charcoal grilled food taste so much better than gas and they have really eliminated the hassle. I always make a two-level flame, using one of the baskets for charcoal and putting a smaller amount directly on the grate for the lower flame. The propane tanks have lasted much longer than I thought and have not been an issue at all. They are very conveniently located for replacement. The integrated table is terrific and the grate below the kettle is also convenient for storage of additional grilling tools.

Cons:
The only negative that I have found is your hands can get pretty dirty dealing with the grate and charcoal. I keep a box of latex gloves nearby and put them on to prepare the grill. This has worked great. If I had to nitpick I would like more grilling tool hooks. I would like to hang a couple more tools.

Tips:
Buy the form fitting Weber cover. You will want this grill to last a long time. Make two level fires as I indicated above. Buy a high quality instant read thermometer like a Thermapen. Get a cheap box of latex gloves to get the grill ready. Buy a grill plate (the kind with holes) if you like to cook shrimp or veggies. It is much easier than using skewers.

Personally I would not own any other grill than this one. No more gas for me.
Good Grilling,
CN

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best There is for Charcoal Purists, June 9, 2011
Walk into a hardware store or box store and they'll have a lot of propane grills that are larger and half the price. Just keep walking, if real BBQ flavor is what you want, and get this grill.

Also, buying from Amazon is smart. The box is huge and 2-man heavy. Too big for most economy size cars. So getting UPS to deliver it to your house is a lot easier than finding somebody with pickup truck to help you out.

As for me, this is my 2nd Weber. The first lasted just over 20 years and I just got tire of looking at it, so I bought this. What I learned is that Weber has really addressed the need for slow cooking BBQ (indirect heat)as opposed to grilling (direct heat over the coals) with this new design. This is a HUGE improvement.

With my old Weber, I would bank the coals to one side as most do for BBQ and put my meat on the other side with the lid slightly ajar. I tried it this way this new Weber Performer design and found that the propane starter changes the whole setup. You'll need less charcoal and it will heat up much faster with the Performer. I like that because I can BBQ more often and with less prep time, especially thanks to the charcoal bin that swings out from under the top.

With this new Weber, you'll get two charcoal dividers. USE THEM. Put the charcoal between them and the meat to both sides. Be sure that the thermometer on the top cover is situated over one of the charcoal dividers for accurate temperature readings. Put it over the charcoal and the readings are inaccurate. No wonder I see a lot of folks complaining about this. If they would just use it this way, they'd find that the thermometer works great and produces excellent results.

Bottom line. If you have been using a old Weber for years, this new Weber is a big step up in terms of product refinement. A delight to use for charcoal purists like myself that produces stellar results for both direct and indirect cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exellent Grill, minor design flaw, July 2, 2010
I purchased this model of grill after downstairs neighbors took their away when they moved. The concept of a gas-starting charcoal grill is outstanding and oddly rare. Most people I tell about it are completely unaware that grills like this even exist.

I would definitely recommend this grill to anyone who loves charcoal grills but doesn't love starting them. With this grill, it couldn't be easier. Simply fill the baskets with charcoal, turn on the gas and start the flame. 5 minutes later you have lit charcoals and turn off the gas. 20 minutes later you have a perfect charcoal fire. The source for the gas are the small propane tanks most-commonly used for camping. They sell for approx. $4.50 ea. One tank will last an entire summer.

The design flaw in this model is that the handle atop the grill gets extremely hot.