Weber 1481001 Performer Platinum Charcoal Grill, Black (Older Model)
Want professional assembly of this product?
- Handpicked pros
- Compare estimates and reviews
- Buy directly on Amazon
- Backed by Amazon's Happiness Guarantee
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- 22.5-inch diameter porcelain-enameled bowl and lid with a cooking area of 363 square inch
- Electronic Touch-N-Go gas ignition system
- Aluminized steel One-Touch cleaning system with removable, high-capacity, aluminum ash catcher
- Removable LCD cook timer and built-in lid thermometer
- Assembled dimensions are 40-inch by 50.25-inch by 28.5-inch
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1. I'm a grill newbie and debated for a LONG time about whether to get gas or charcoal. I wanted something hassle free so that I would use it frequently (I'm lazy) and all my friends said I needed a gas grill. But I couldn't resist the charcoal grill flavor and bought this instead. Wow, it is easy to use and easy to clean! I don't regret not getting a gas grill at all.
2. That said, gas is definitely easier if you don't want to think about grilling. To use charcoal I got online and studied two stage heating and where to place coals etc. This is pretty interesting and I enjoyed learning about cooking with charcoal. Note that although this grill makes it easy to cook with charcoal, learning to cook properly takes some studying to do it right and have amazing steaks (and once you learn the basics it becomes second nature). If you just want to fire up a grill for some burgers and steak without watching a bunch of YouTube videos and reading BBQ blogs, gas is the way to go.
3. The Weber propane lighting system isn't as good as I expected. Some reviews talk about how big the flame is and whatnot, but I disagree. The charcoal holder is an oblong shape and the flame only covers the center of the holders. Thus, the middle charcoal is ready to go very quickly and the coals on the edge aren't even hot yet. After about ten minutes I find myself using the tongs to move the charcoals around a bit so that I can put the edge pieces on top of the hot ones. I was expecting the flame to cook all the coals while I was in the kitchen prepping the food and not having to play with coals half way through, but that isn't the case.Read more ›
I have used the grill upwards of a dozen times and it is still functioning flawlessly. One thing I really like is that when I am done cooking, I just close the top and bottom vents and the charcoal extinguishes. This allows me to reuse some of the charcoal the next time I grill.
Here is what I have found as far as time it takes to get from ignition to cooking. I turn on the flames and let them go for about 5 minutes to get the charcoal started. I then let cover the grill and let the charcoal sit for about 20-25 minutes to get up to temperature (around 300-350 degrees if using one basket) At that point, it's time to start cooking.
1. Never before have I had such easy coal ignition. This is enough reason to give praise to the Performer Platinum.
2. The table-top is spacious and is great for prepping or beer placement.
3. The storage space provides one convenient location for coals, woods, and other stuff.
1. Missing the beer refrigerator :)
If you can afford it, my recommendation would be to spend the extra money for the Platinum. Now that I have purchased this grill, there's no going back to the ONE-TOUCH. Hope this review helps.
Had great success with the Weber 1481001 Performer Platinum Charcoal Grill the first time it was used and it has been a pleasure to use and the food has been excellent ever since. There is a small learning curve in getting down the exact amount of charcoal to add, when the charcoal is at the perfect stage to cook and when to add more charcoal but getting to know a new cooking appliance is and was expected. Also purchased the Stok SIS9000 Grill Replacement 22-1/2-Inch Grate and Stok SGA1000 Insert Removal Tool at the same time we purchased the grill. They are a perfect addition and add to the quality of our grilled food.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Charcoal means more flavor added than gas alone. Electric start with propane flame means more convenience. Easy to clean out ash. Got the cover to keep it looking good.Published 26 days ago by NoelH
I've owned quite a few charcoal grills. Yep, its a grill. But extremely handy with the table and lighter.
I've also gotten the grate with the wok. It is fantastic
Best grill I've owned to date. Have had for 2yrs and no signs of age.Published 4 months ago by LORI SHARP
Love it worked great with Weber rib rack for ribs and cooked my sirloin tip roast to perfection.Published 6 months ago by Vincent Amoruso Jr.
Love it, best price, great layout, food tastes incredible in this BBQPublished 8 months ago by Kingfish
I've had this grill for about a year now, and am very happy with it. It works wonderfully well. There's a bit of a learning curve with regard to temperature regulation, but you... Read morePublished 8 months ago by Jason S.