5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Great Grill
Published on March 24, 2012 by GrannyG

3.0 out of 5 stars Power cord is defective
The grill worked great for about 6 weeks (maybe 12-15 uses) now the power cord has a short in it... I have to jiggle it, pull it out and reinsert it repeatedly, and SOMETIMES it heats up again. Very disappointing.
Published 12 months ago by johng

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Great Grill, March 24, 2012
This review is from: Weber 522001 Q-140 Portable 189-Square-Inch Electric Grill (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)
This grill is a really good quality grill and so easy to clean. All you have to do is soak the grates and liner in hot soapy water for a short while, then wash them. The grates are a really nice, heavy cast iron. I love cooking on it. It won't give you the taste of a charcoal grill, but the food cooked on it tastes great. So far we've cooked steaks, chicken, and hamburgers. I previously owned another electric grill which after 3 years broke. It was hard to clean and made a greasy mess all around the grill. The little pan that catches the grease in the Weber is large enough to catch all your grease and isn't messy to clean up. You can also buy replacements for the grease pan. I also purchased the stand and cover that goes with it. The stand has wheels on it so you can roll it around. And the cover is so nice to keep it clean...our sits on our covered back porch. After shopping around, I bought from Amazon because they had the best buy. It came super quick and was in excellent condition. We're relly happy with our grill and with Amazon's wonderful service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing on the heat in Brooklyn!!!, July 11, 2012
OzOfBklyn (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
After being torn between the Weber Q140 and a competitor's grill, I took the plunge and purchased the Q140. One deciding factor was the consistent ratings (between 4 and 5 stars). The competing product ratings ranged from 5 stars to 1 star. Of course, the Weber name and reputation were major deciding factors also.

The instructions enclosed with the grill are a bit confusing. Because the instructions are written in three languages, pictures are used extensively in the user manual. But, I took my time and completed assembly in about 20 minutes.

When using the grill, make sure you preheat the grill for the specified time, as stated in the user manual. I did, and, let me tell you, when my food hit the grill, there was some serious sizzle going on! This grill really gets hot! It made beautiful sear marks on my burgers and Italian sausages. I thought it was my imagination, but, even my wife said the food tasted like it came off a charcoal grill!

Cleanup was easy. The grill plates are in two sections for easy removal (they are heavy). The bowl liner lifts out for cleaning as well. There is a grease catch pan that you can line with foil wrap, although Weber supplies one (1) disposable drip pan.

I also purchased the Weber Q rolling cart and the Weber Q Premium Cover for a sleek, finished look. It looks great on my terrace! I'm truly loving my Weber Q140!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grill, especially for traveling, March 27, 2012
We recently bought this to replace our Q200 LP grill. The LP grill was to large, to heavy and I tired of having to deal with LP. At first we thought of going to a Q100 series LP grill. But, this seemed like a much better option assuming it works as advertised. I'm pleased to note it does work as advertised. Follow the directions and you will have well seared steaks and chops, better than our Q200 ever did actually. Also works very well for fish and shrimp given the fact that it is so easy to control the cooking temp. Cleanup is a breeze since you can remove the lower liner and wash as you see fit. We RV and space is at a premium, this is exactly what we needed to free up a bit of room. If you need to use a extension cord, don't cheap it out on one with to small wire. I got a 12 AWG and it works fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a good grill, but a bit expensive, June 7, 2012
This grill works pretty good, and I like it.

I live in a condo where I can't have open flames, and was skeptical of electric grills at first, but this unit has worked well so far.

Pros:
Good quality grill that is easy to clean. (No ash to clean up afterward, either).
Heat is not bad for an electric, and heats up quickly.
The construction is solid.

Cons:
The grill area is not very large. If you are grilling for 2-3 it's fine, but for larger groups, it may not work.
The cord is not that long (easily fixed with a heavy duty extension cord).
It's pricey at $230, plus another $50 for the stand = $280+tax. I would've given it 5 stars if the total costs was around $150-$200.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are forced to grill on an electric, look no further! This is THE grill., March 4, 2013
I love grilling, so when I moved into a condo that did not allow propane or charcoal grills, I was forced to improvise. I began doing research and the consensus seemed to be that if you must go electric, a Weber Q is the only serious option. You may have to spend a little more on it than you were planning on, but if you want real results that keep you grilling night after night, then look no further! I was blown away by the results. I did steaks, tips, boneless chicken breasts, bone-in chicken, kebobs, various veggies, and fish filets all in my first week of owning it, and they all look and taste like they came off a propane or charcoal grill. Serious grill marks on every item. The key is in the construction. My neighbor has the Char-Broil electric, and the lid seems flimsy and thin... not on my Weber Q! The lid is heavy and solid... insulation of heat is imperative on an electric grill. It also comes with porcelain-coated, cast iron grates which retain heat very well and make grill marks that rival gas Webers. They use the same materials on their grills and grates that they use in their full-size grills, which makes all the difference. Assembly was extremely simple (you screw on the handle and lid), and cleaning it is a breeze. I would highly, highly recommend this grill for anyone in a condo, as my expectations of it were boldly exceeded. A+

5.0 out of 5 stars Weber wouldn't put out a POS.. :), April 25, 2013
After finally get this small electric grill going..took out the noncontact temperature gun. After 10mins preheating on high with lid closed the grate was reading 350f. After another 10mins the reading was 550f. You definately have to let this thing preheat.

Grabbed some 3/4" thickness skirt steaks. Placed on grill and immediately was welcome by the familar sound of a super hot grill searing the meat. Closed the lid. 10mins did a flip and meat had some lovely searing. Closed the lid. 10 more minutes of cooking. Removed steaks. Searing was not as pronounced on the flipped side. After letting the meat cool a bit the cut was made into the steak. Came out to my liking of medium/rare.

There is only one electric grill to get if heat is what you want...WEBER

Shortcoming of this grill
1)No therometer..guess i'll have to modify this grill
2)lid.. the edges of the grill won't support large items/ space from grate to lid when closed is tight.
3)Im thinking....

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, October 19, 2012
Based on the reviews I decided to give this grill a try. I recently moved into a complex that does not allow open flames (no charcoal or gas grills)and missed cooking outside. Although the price may be a bit high, for me it was worth the expense to be able to grill again. The key to this grills performance is to make sure you let the grill heat up on high for at least 20 minutes as per the instructions and you will have no problems cooking whatever you want. I have cooked steaks, burgers, dogs, fish and veggies and all came out just fine. You will notice that the first side always puts great grill marks on your food but a little less after turning the food over as the grill grates are not quite as hot but still cooks everything well. The trick to getting better flavor like gas or charcoal grills is not to over clean the grill and let a little grease from previous grillings coat the grill grates which will keep that flavor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, Hot, Will Built, May 15, 2013
This is a great barbeque, and I can only suggest a couple. Was easy to put together and although there was more plastic than I would have thought should be on a cooking instrument, I felt since the appliance was well insulated, it is OK. I like the two piece grill and the aluminum liners that can be removed on the bottom. I also liked the pins that can be removed to take off the lid.

I would not mind seeing more elaborate instructions for cooking including more cuts of meat, estimates for doneness and so on. Some thoughts include a thermometer and numbers or letters on the control know so that it is easier to remember that perfect setting. I may go out and put some numbered tape on the knob.

I strongly suggest getting the cart which fits nicely and a cover. Nothing ruins electronic and paint like weather.

I was wondering about the time the heating element could stay on since the instructions suggested not to cook for more than 60 minutes. Say you heat the appliance for 20 minutes and then cook big pieces of chicken for 50 minutes. You are pushing the length of time. It seems to me the3 element should be able to stay on at lower temperatures.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for apartments or condos, December 12, 2012
I bought this to use on the lanai of my condo since we cannot have an open flame unit for obvious reasons. It heats well, cooks everything i need to grill just fine (steaks, chicken, even grouper). One note: be sure to keep the bottom drip area clean (bottom dome so to speak, under the heating element). If that area build up soils and debris, it can catch fire when heating the grill. Otherwise, its very handy, cooks great and is easy to use and store. I suggest getting the handle light attachment - VERY handy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect grill for condos, apartments, townhouses, August 13, 2013
I missed the flavor, convenience, and fun of grilling outdoors, but I live in a townhouse with a deck, so my only option was an electric. I researched the brands and decided to get this Weber, the smaller one since it's just me. It comes well-packed and is very easy to put together (most of it's already assembled). The instruction booklet is a series of warnings that any fool would already know, but it does have a handy chart showing how long to cook things at what temperature. My first attempt was rib-eye steak. I preheated the grill 15 minutes, oiled and seasoned the steak, and let it cook 4 minutes each side, then let it rest. I like it rare. It was excellent. I'm so glad I splurged for this model. It's very sturdy and obviously well built.

As for cleaning, it's a little difficult at first to get the liner out from under the grill element in order to wash it, but now that I've done it a few times, I got the hang of it. There is a drip pan with a removable/replaceable liner, very easy to clean. The inside of the top lid gets stained with smoke, but that doesn't bother me. I wipe any grease off with a paper towel. The grill plates are in two sections to make it easy to lift out (they are solid and heavy, as they should be). I just brush them with a grill brush. If they are icky with barbecue sauce, I wash them in water ONLY to keep their oils intact, like a cast iron skillet, and dry thoroughly.

UPDATE: I've used the grill all summer long, and it's still in perfect condition. The upper lid liner is stained with smoke, but so what? I never, ever wash the heavy iron grill grates in soap. I saw that another reviewer even soaks them in soapy water. Perhaps she also soaks her cast iron skillet in soap, too. To me that's anathema.

Rate and Discover Movies