5.0 out of 5 stars An electric grill that matches gas or charcoal
Recently the fire marshal forced our condo to ban gas grills. We love our grilled steaks, ribs, and chops and were afraid that we could no longer enjoy them.

Published on April 28, 2009 by Charles W. Stevenson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for steaks
Published on June 21, 2009 by R. Friberg

5.0 out of 5 stars An electric grill that matches gas or charcoal, April 28, 2009
This review is from: Weber 526001 Q 140 Electric Barbeque Grill (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

After scouring the web for ideas, I learned about a new electric technology developed by Weber ( the famous kettle cooker people). This small "egg shaped" grill uses reflective surfaces to allow an electric coil to produce temperatures matching those of a gas grill. The meat tastes as good as comparable cuts cooked on my old gas grill.

Furthermore, the internal parts simply lift out for easy washing in the kitchen sink.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best electric grill EVER, April 30, 2009
Darin D. Smith (Cullman, AL United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a travel nurse, normally moving every 3 months, and almost always living in a condo or apartment where you can't have open flames on a balcony. When I started, I had a Sunbeam electric grill which worked pretty good, but couldn't do what I consider the gold standard of grill performance; grilling a decent steak. Electric grills just haven't been hot enough to sear a steak and keep in the juices. I got rid of it and have been doing without until I decided to try out this grill.

So tonight, after putting it together (very quick and easy), I decided to swing for the fence with it. I tossed a large, thick ribeye on it after preheating it for a few minutes, and was rewarded with the sound of sizzling meat. I let it cook for a minute or so longer than I would on my gas grille back home, flipped it, and took it off a few minutes later. I figured I'd probably go through a couple of steaks before I got the timing right, but I was pleasantly surprised to cut into a perfectly done medium rare, JUICY steak. It works perfectly! I'll be trying chicken, fish, ribs, and whatever else I can come up with. But if it will sear a steak, I doubt I'll have problems cooking anything else I want.

Pros: Quality construction, easy assembly, very easy cleanup (the grilling surface lifts right off and can go in the sink or dishwasher). And of course, it grills great!

Cons: It's still expensive. One star off for that, wish I could have just taken off 1/2 of a star. I probably wouldn't have bought it, but after being called into work one weekend I made the day go better by promising myself a new toy with the overtime I was getting. It's the right sized to cook for a small number of people, but a larger version would be nice for someone with a larger condo and larger crowds.

Bottom line; if you are looking for a grill and can't use an open flame, this is what you are looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill, June 6, 2009
At my old apartment complex I had a cheap charcoal grill which I enjoyed at first but soon got tired of buying charcoal and starter fluid and also the lingering smell on my clothes and hair after I used the the grill so when I moved to a new apartment complex that did not allow grilling I looked into electric grills. At that time (about 2 months ago) there were no reviews of the Q-140 online but I have always had good experience with Weber products so I bought the grill. To my surprise I have fallen in love with this little grill and now I prefer it to any other grill I have ever had or used. Charcoal grills take a good amount of time to get heated up and propane grills can run out at any time and it is fairly expensive to refill the tanks. There are several other less expensive electric grills on the market that I looked into but I heard many complaints about them not getting hot enough off of the relatively small amount of electricity that is supplied through normal outlets. The Q-140 heats up extremely hot in less than 15 minutes and gets hot enough to cook everything that other grills will. Another thing I saw other people complain about was fires and flare-ups within their electric grills. Cleaning the Q-140 is something that must be done (unlike traditional grills), but all you have to do is scrub the grate and the bottom bowl of the grill which takes only a few minutes. I have never reviewed a product online before but I feel so strongly about this grill and there was such a lack of reviews on it that I felt I should share my experience with it. The Q-140 can be found online for less than $200 (sorry Amazon) and I highly advise also purchasing the side table kit that attaches to the handles, the Weber Q handle light, and the rolling cart to make the grill feel and look like something better than a Foreman POS. Unless you live in a house with a Weber grill connected to a natural gas line I highly recommend the Q-140. For less than $300 you can have a grill that is great and safe for condos, apartments, and even houses. The only downside to the grill is that it is a bit small but if you know how to work a grill good or can do without toasted buns you can fit a good amount of food on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Grill Makes good burgers., May 5, 2009
The grill heats up VERY quickly. It also retains heat exceptionally well. The cover even after 10 mins of heating is only warm to the touch. But inside, the meat sears wonderfully.

I had tried another type of electric, but it didn't get hot enough. I also got it with the cart, I would recommend a grill cover to make things complete.

It's a great grill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Little Grill, August 16, 2010
ADDENDUM: We have now used this grill over the course of one full summer and we still love it! Have had zero problems with it! Works beautifully! We had a party at the end of summer-I cooked dozens of burgers-and our guests were very impressed with the fabulous flavorful burgers from an electric grill! I cannot say more-we are very pleased with our grill!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I bought this grill through Amazon. It came in good condition and no damage. Its 95% already assembled in the box. We had to get an electric grill because our apartment community forbids gas or charcoal grills. The size is nice and it is attractive. It doesn't look like a fire hazard sitting out on the patio like some small grills do.

Our first use of the grill was a lesson to learn. We had some trouble with not enough heat and then, ironically, burning. The outside of the meat was dried out and inside it was fine. It gave me some ideas about how to better use this grill. When you burn propane, a by product of the combustion is water. So thats probably why it has a slight tendency to dry the meat more than a gas grill-no combustion. As for the heat issue; there is nothing in the grill to hold and radiate heat. So when you open the top, all the hot air flies away faster than you can say "DOH!" Gas grills usually have radiant plates or lava rocks to hold and radiate heat.

I decided to buy lava rocks at the local store. So I filled the bottom of the grill with lava rock all the way to the grill grate-being careful to not touch the heating element. I'm not sure if it's ok to touch the rocks to the element when it is on. I sprayed the rocks with olive oil and set the grill on high for about a 1/2 hour and just let it smoke away to season the grill and rocks.

Next we cooked some pork loin chops on the grill. They were magnificent! The grill performed almost as well as gas. When I opened the grill I could feel the heat radiating from it like when I used to use gas. The chops turned out perfect. And, unlike gas, we haven't had any flareups from the grease. Maybe we will in the future as the rocks get greasier?

The next time I grilled, I used hickory chips in a stainless steel wood chip smoker tray. The wood chips smoldered and smoked the meat the same way as it did for me on the gas grill--but they never caught fire as they had sometimes in the gas grill.

I highly recommend smoking the meats as you cook them. You can even use just aluminum foil. The wood chips are available at many stores. Place a couple handfuls in the middle of a piece of aluminum foil and wrap them up into a loosely packed pouch, but be sure the pouch is closed well. Cut a couple slits in the foil and place the pouch on the grill, slits facing up. Allow the grill to heat up (on high) and for the wood to begin smoking before you put the meat on. Once you put the meat on the grill, you can turn the grill down a bit. I did notice if I turned it down too far, not enough smoke would be generated. Grill as usual, then.

We have only had this grill a couple weeks now, but we just love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for steaks, June 21, 2009
R. Friberg (Grants Pass, OR) - See all my reviews
I have a Weber Q and liked it so much, that I bought a Q-140 for my vacation condo because gas grills are not permitted. The style, quality, and construction of the Q-140 is on a par with the Q , which is excellent. So it was with great surprise and deep disappointment that the Q-140 would not come even close to doing a good job at grilling a steak. It doesn't sear the steak like the Q does. It sort of bakes it and leaves marginal, pathetic grill marks. Not what you want in a grill. However, the Q-140 is just fine for things that need slower cooking at lower heat, such as ribs, pork, shrimp, chicken, veggies, etc. as long as the heat setting is set to Max. Good grill, just not for steak. For steak, I have to fall back on pan searing and then into a 325 oven to finish. I've ruined my last steak on the Q-140.

4.0 out of 5 stars There is an actual "method" to using this device, July 30, 2011
Weber 526001 Q 140 Electric Barbeque Grill
The disadvantage of electric grills is that they don't get hot enough to sear a steak.
But the Weber does get hot enough.
However if it gets too hot, its thermostat will shut the coil down.
This is not a consideration with gas. No electronics are at risk.

To use the Q140 to its full advantage when cooking a steak you should do the following:

1. Get a good oven thermometer one that stands upright - Grill has no thermometer
2. Set Rheostat to high and in about 10 minutes it will reach 500F. Coil should be red.
3. Put on the steaks and sear/cook one side, turn over sear/cook the other side
4. Open the cover to flip meat as little as possible, with each opening, heat is lost
5. It should take about 10 minutes to cook a 1" ribeye medium

DO NOT PREHEAT THIS GRILL FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES like you would a gas grill or an electric kitchen oven.
If you leave this grill turned on for 20 or 30 minutes before cooking, coil will get maximally hot, oven temp will rise to about 700, and coil will shut off.
So when you put the steak on the grill, the coil is no longer maximally hot.

This device should not be confused with a conventional kitchen electric oven.
It has a simple thermostat that turns off the coil if the temp of the oven gets much over 500.
A kitchen oven has a more complicated thermostat.
When the temperature is set, the thermostat will turn the oven off and on repeatedly to maintain that single temperature.

I think that people misuse this Weber grill because it has a dial setting from low to high. (note-there are no temp values for a reason!)
They assume if they set rheostat to some point in the mid range, the temp will stay in the midrange.
Or if they set it to high, it will stay in high range.
It will not. When the lid is closed, the grill will simply get hotter and hotter until it exceeds 500 and shuts down.
When temp comes down, it will reactivate.
If the lid is open it will never even reach 500F
I have tested this observation repeatedly, in fact burned out 2 oven thermometers in the process...
The closed oven will get well over 550!

IF YOU USE THE weber Q140 WITH THESE FACTORS IN MIND, IT PERFORMS QUITE WELL.

Because there are no ceramic briquettes, tiles, or metal flavor bars - the smokey outdoor flavor of gas/charcoal grilling is not acheived.
Someone has suggested laying ceramic tiles along the bottom. I've not tried that because it introduces too many cleanup issues.

The grill works very well for all other food cooking situations. It's only that seared steak issue that requires special attention.
Such is the plight of those who live in high rise condos with balconies and strict fire restrictions

BC

5.0 out of 5 stars An electric grill that gets hot enough to do the job., May 27, 2009
J. M. Aylward (SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA United States) - See all my reviews
After buying four different brands of electric grills in the last eight years I am pleased to say this one actually gets hot enough to grill a steak properly. This unit is very well designed and not only does it pre-heat quickly it cooks faster than any other electric grill I have ever used. I am convinced it must be due to the reflective liner attached to the underside of the lid. Living in a condo with restrictions prohibiting gas or charcoal grills I am happy I finally found one that gets the job done. Even the inexpensive cover (optional) made by Weber for it is high quality and fits well. I would highly recommend this product to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best electric ever, September 20, 2009
We have been through many grills through the years, and grill 3-5 days per week. Apartment living reduced that, because the products we tried just could not do the job very well.

For those stuck in an apartment where gas grills are not allowed (no open flames on patios or balconies), this is the best I have seen for emulating a real charcoal grill. We used a Weber gas grill (Go-Anywhere portable) for seven years when traveling th country in an RV, so we were familiar with the company and its products. When we owned a house, we bought a new gas grill every couple of years, staying on the low end of the price range, never springing for a Weber.

The Weber Q-140 electric is the best (and most expensive) we have ever had. The heat is uniform (no hot or cold spots), the heat is sufficient that I can sear anything, and create a criss-cross griddle pattern for show and even cooking. Clean-up is a snap, and the exterior of the grill is not too hot if you accidently lay a hand on it. Like all Weber products, it is exceptionally well designed, and well made.

My biggest concern was the price ($279 list, ~$230 street). When Amazon put it on sale at $191, including shipping, I immediately placed my order. It came complete - the only assembly was attaching the lid handle and the lid, about two minutes effort.

Absolutely no regrets.

Jim and Nancy Morgan

4.0 out of 5 stars The next best thing to gas!, November 3, 2009
I did my home work on the net reading reviews on electric grills before I purchased the Weber. This is a great grill that really gets hot enough to grill the thickest piece of meat. Improvise and line the bottom of the tray with ceramic tiles (not volcanic rocks) and you'll get a smokier flavor. I'm not alone in my opihion as two of my neighbors after viewing mine tossed theirs and purchased the same on Amazon.