Weber Genesis 6550001 S-310 Stainless-Steel 637-Square-Inch 38,000-BTU Liquid-Propane Gas Grill
Style Name: Liquid PropaneChange
Price:$849.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 4, 2011
I did plenty of online, and in-store research before settling on the Weber S-310. Over the years, Weber has made several changes in their grills, but retain the same model numbers. So pictures and reviews of the S-310 might be confusing, or obsolete, if they were for a model sold a year or two ago. I believe this grill (6550001) is the latest model of the Genesis 310 series (as of April 2011). The S-320 includes a side burner, and the S-330 includes a sear station burner. Other than that, I think they are all the same. This grill also comes in several colors (E-310), as well as stainless steel (S-310). What was a bit disappointing to me, was that not all surfaces are stainless. The cabinet sides, back and interior are all gray baked enamel. It's only the doors, table extensions, and grill lid that are stainless steel.

We had an older grill with a side burner that we never used. Since the grill is on our back deck, it is just easier and faster to do side burner cooking in the house. For that reason, we saved some money, and opted for the version of this grill without the side burner.

It weighs about 175 lbs in the box, so you will need help manhandling it to where you want to assemble it. Parts are packed well, in a very sturdy box, and arrived in perfect condition. The assembly instructions include very little text, just pictures, but are easy to figure out. All the fasteners and pieces fit together easily without any problems. Taking my time, double checking the instructions, and being careful with assembly, it took me 2-3 hours to get it unboxed and assembled, ready to grill. All the exposed stainless steel surfaces came covered by some sort of plastic film that you will need to peel off before using the grill. It does a great job of protecting the surfaces in shipping and during assembly.

One handy feature that I like, is the gas bottle hangs securely from a spring loaded scale, that tells you at a glance how much gas you have left.

This grill has everything you could want in a quality grill. Very well made, solid heavy duty components, and well engineered. While a bit pricey, I think it is worth every penny.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 2, 2013
I owned a Weber Genesis grill for 10 years before replacing it with this one. My old grill featured stainless grates, stainless burners and stainless flavorizer bars. I gave the grill away and it is still going strong. I cleaned it several times each year and I was always able to make each part shine. Not one bit of rust.

After 1 year of owning the Weber Genesis S-310 I have come to find that the stainless steel parts are not really stainless. I keep the grill covered when not in use and it is kept on my covered balcony throughout the year. I cleaned the parts yesterday and came to find that the flavorizer bars were severely rusted as well as the drip pan.

Many of my friends have warned me that Weber started using cheap quality stainless steel that will rust. I am not sure how they can call something stainless if it rusts after one year.

I called Weber customer service today and they said my parts cannot be replaced under warranty until they are crumbling in my hand.

I bought a stainless steel grill to avoid replacing parts. It looks like Weber has decided to put profits ahead of quality. What a shame. I always thought they made a great product but this will be the last time I buy a Weber.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 29, 2014
I have the previous genesis all stainless model. The frame the grill sits on is not stainless and rusted out completely causing structural instability and the doors to fall off. Weber will not replace as it has been 5 years. I have had $150 grills from target and kmart that lasted longer. If you think you are paying a premium for a grill that will last 20 years, think again. Picture of rust: [...]
review image
on April 24, 2011
Weber upgraded their Genesis line by putting the burner controls upfront, thus giving you 2 large side surfaces for plates and other items. I had an old Summit Silver with s side burner I never used. Although this is a 3 burner variety it gets very hot and does a good job cooking food fast.

My main compliant, and it is not a trivial one is that the bottom of the cart has all these vent slots cut into the sides and back. This lets any rain water pour into to the bottom and you get a mess of a pool of water in the bottom of the cart. Plus water makes its way into the grill drip pan and you get a pool of grease and water in it. Just lovely. Why do you need vent slots on the bottom of the cabinet? If you say it is for gas venting then they should have been configured the slots differently. Water should not pour into the bottom cabinet. I am thinking of getting plexiglass cut and bolt it to the back and sides but it would alter the grill look.

Essentially you cannot grill with this unit in the rain if you start a meal and then rain starts without having the water incursion problem.
I believe this cart design is universal across the Genesis line and maybe Summit also. The propane tank is inside the grill now so aesthetically it is more pleasing. Maybe this was the reason for all the slots. Just not well thought out by Weber. Maybe the designers live in the desert where it doesn't rain.

Your best option I think is to go out and get a grill cover and be faithful about keeping it on after the grill is used.

Amazon has nice non-Weber variety covers that are much better looking than the basic black Weber covers that are kind of flimsy by reports.

So my overall rating on the grill 3 stars, reduced by the design flaw with the cart. Buy the cover immediately or else keep sponges on hand.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2011
I too was tired of replacing the grill every couple of years. This certainly will not be the case here, this one looks and feels like it will be around a long time.
Very solid, heavy, flawless finish, and it just plain works.

Now the only issue I have found is that you have to be very carefull while covering the grill. I have returned to the grill to find that somehow while covering the grill the burner knob(s) have been turned on. So far this has happened twice. I only discovered this due to the natural gas smell while walking past the grill. Maybe a case of just having to be more carefull, but seems to me this should be a no brainer and the burners should not be able to accidentally be turned on so easily. Maybe a stiffer detent spring on the knobs?

Still, the finest grill I have ever owned.

UPDATE 7/15/11: Weber customer service contacted me regarding the knob issue.
Basically there is no fix and Weber seems to know this is possible. They say it is crucial to turn off the main gas line valve when not in use. The only solution at this time. Not a deal breaker but I was hoping for a bit more. Grilling very frequently and the Weber shines, by far the most even ang consistant cooking grill ever.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2011
This grill replaced a 10 year old Weber Genesis Silver, so it is an almost like for like swap, but with a number of improvements, such as moving the gas bottle to inside the closed cabinet, control knobs to the front etc.

It is a good powerful grill. A big change for me is that the burners run from front to back instead of left to right. As such before I used to grill with the food at the front, with the burner on low and the back burner on high (with the lid down). This ensured even cooking without simply charring the outside of the meat. Can't do this anymore. You can still do this with the Spirit model, but those have much lower BTU.

I'm really happy with this grill. I did a bunch of comparative shopping before buying and Amazon had the best price when you include shipping and tax (CA).
on February 24, 2011
I was tired of replacing grill every 3 years, and most impressed that WEBER parts are carried by several area retailers. Purchased Weber S-310 grill locally - the price is about same, regardless, and local A C E hardware store assembled and delivered at no charge. First, get a couple estimates to run gas line; can be costly. If you D.I.Y. be aware that tapping into an existing gas line can have negative affect on other gas appliances. Also beware of any company offering WEBER at a discount.
on October 26, 2011
I like the stainless steel grill, but I almost had to return it to Home Depot because the fire starting instructions were incomplete and Weber service representatives were unable to help me. Here is what I learned:
1. The gas regulator has a safety switch to shut off flow if it detects excessive flow assuming it is a leak. 2. When you have a new full tank of LP (with the quick 1-turn fully open valve), SLOWLY turn ON gas valve. If you turn ON too fast, the safety switch will get triggered and shut off. Hear the whirring sound from regulator to ensure the gas flow. 3. wait 60 sec before turn ON burner #1 (left most burner when facing grill).
on July 8, 2014
I bought this at a local store - Weber S-310 Stainless Steel Propane grill. I put it together without problem, thanks to the illustration driven assembly instructions. This is my first propane grill but I looked at a lot of them in the stores - this Weber feels much more solid than most. All parts are of medium heavy steel or better - the stainless steel grates are crazy-heavy - and I didn't run into problems with hole alignment or warping of parts while assembling this at all.

Being new to propane, I thought the regulator needed to be in an upright position - level to the ground, top-up, etc. - and in trying to do that in the tight space under the grill it tweaked the regulator and hose just enough to cause propane leakage from between the collar on the tank and the regulator itself. I couldn't get the leak to stop so I exchanged my first unit for a demo unit from the same store. Same problem with gas leaking... After a bit of research online I realized the regulator could go on at any angle - it's installed upside down now, and it doesn't leak at all.

I used this grill for the first time last night - burgers and thick-cut potato fries. Wow! I had no idea grilling could be so easy, quick, and turn out such nicely cooked, attractive food. I've been nursing a rusted out charcoal grill for years - so cooking on this Weber is a revelation to me. I could not be happier with this grill and how it cooks, and looks. The ignition button works immediately, controls are smooth and wide ranging, side surfaces are rock-solid, and the thermometer is responsive.

I plan on doing almost all of my cooking on this grill for the rest of the summer, and into the fall and winter as well. It's not cheap but none of the really good stuff is cheap - and this Weber, for this newbie at least, is seriously good stuff. Thanks to all the other reviewers on here too - your opinions helped me make this choice.

**Update** Went out to use the grill and - without having touched anything - the leak has returned in the same place as before, between the collar and the regulator. Very disappointing... Will email Weber for a replacement hose immediately. When I contacted them about this before I fixed it, they said it would be up to 3 weeks before they could get a hose to me. The regulator is Chinese made - could be they got a bad batch. I will keep this review updated as events unfold. Not happy at this point though.

**Update 2** I received the replacement regulator and hose from Weber via FedEx Overnight - excellent customer service! The problem however has not returned after the last reconnect with the propane tank. I'm reluctant to change the hose out (the connection between the rubber and metal hose seems almost glue-tight), and fixing something that - for now, anyway - isn't broken doesn't seem like a good idea.

Overall, though there are highly reviewed gas grills with similar performance at a lower price, I'm still very happy to have a Weber - reliability, quality, readily available parts and reputation along with quality grilling results and excellent customer service are why I'd likely buy this grill again.

-Note- the Master Forge 58" wide heavy duty grill cover fits the Weber S-310 grill perfectly, and hangs 2-3" off the ground. Bought at big box store Lo**s.
on June 14, 2013
I had my last Weber gas grill for 13 years with the original burners still working. I just passed it on to my brother in law. I've been eyeing the newer Weber stainless models for the past year are so. I just recently launched a hardcore research campaign on the Weber Summit series. What I liked about this unit was the it has a generous cooking area and the 7 mm dia. stainless steel rod cooking grates. I had the grill delivered to work. I needed help loading it into my SUV as the box is both solid and heavy. Any doubts I may have had floating around in my unconscious mind were quickly dismissed as soon as a popped open the box. Just the way the grill packed was quite impressive. A lot of heavy duty packing material and film covered surfaces. It was definitely well packaged to protect all of the components inside. The assembly process took me about 2 1/2 hours. That long, because I like to take my time and not rush things. It could have easily been 1 1/2-2 hours. The assembly instructions are about 95% pictorial. The extremely well defined step by step instructions, with clearly stated do's and don'ts, made assembly quite easy and enjoyable for me. The first part of the assembly was building the grill base. Once completed and set upright, it was quite clear to me just how soundly the product was designed and manufactured. It felt to me like it could support the weight of a pickup truck. I was also impressed with the fact that the only extra piece of hardware that was supplied was 1 pc of the hood clevis pin. That to me is a good sign of solid quality control. The final part of the assembly included the placement of the stainless steel rod cooking grates. The two grates are strapped together in one box. This box felt like it weighed at least 20 pounds. That really turned me on too... I fired the grill up with the very effective electronic starter and actually took a picture of the burgers and sausages I was grilling on my awesome new baby. If I sound a bit excited about my purchase, it's because I truly am. This grill may seem a bit pricey to some you grill shoppers. However, I am a bit of an old schooler in my use of the following cliché; "you get what you pay for"...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations