5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing better
Published on October 11, 2010 by Lucanus

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for charcoal, be forewarned about other uses. Packaging a pain.
I bought these as a cheaper alternative to fuel tabs. They make good fire starter, but you still need small kindling to get a fire going. As for survival uses, don't try to heat water with these! The amount of soot these puppies give off is crazy. You'll be washing your pot for a week. The packaging is very unfortunate. Although these don't reek like the esbit solid fuel...
Published 10 months ago by Quickdraw

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing better, October 11, 2010
This review is from: Weber 7417 FireStarters Lighter Cubes, 24 Count (Lawn & Patio)
I do a lot of smoking and have tried quite a few products. Kingsford Match Light is very easy to start, however it adds a terrible taste to meat and quite honestly makes me wonder about health repercussions. I have tried lighting charcoal with light fluid, which works ok and just has the same problems as Kingsford Match Light. I have spent time lighting charcoal with newspaper and a chimney, which works very well, except for all the burnt paper that goes all over the place. I started using Weber's Light Cubes a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. For starters they light charcoal faster than any product I have ever used. They burn very clean and do not ash like paper does. I do not see myself ever lighting charcoal again without these cubes. These cubes are perfect for light charcoal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fire Starters, September 8, 2010
These can be used for starting camp fires and kept in emergency kits for fire starting . They will burn while floating on water and light with a flint fire starter or match . (Just scrape a small amount of flakes or dust on top and strike the sparks into it and instant flame) I use about 1/4 cube and wood to start a fire in my Kelly Kettle and one cube by its self will heat a 2.5 pint kettle to the point of steaming . No doubt two would cause it to boil . Cubes are large enough that they can be cut in sections and used to stretch them further . My point is this is more than a charcoal starter and is the best you can buy at a great price . This is one great product .
Thought I would add I do use them in my Weber Chimney for charcoal and they work great . I also noticed one reviewer said they melted. I have never had one melt or run, and I've used many of them . I'm not sure they are using the same product .

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT START, April 29, 2009
These are my favorite way to start coals. Just need one (or two if lighting the whole kettle) under a pile of coals. Light with long wooden match from underneath. 20 minutes later your coals are ready to spread out, and they don't smell like chemicals or gases! RECOMMEND HIGHLY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome, July 12, 2010
I just got a Chimney Starter, and these Cube. Being new, I used 3 cubes in a triangle under the chimney. I used lump charcoal, and Wow! the charcoal were ready in 10 mins. Yes 10 mins. Next time I will use 2 or maybe just 1 cube.
The combination of the Chimney starter, and the lighter cubes is just superby. My charcoal lighting problems are over. I can focus on the Marinade!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never look back...., June 14, 2010
G. Mayes (Leesburg, VA) - See all my reviews
I use these Weber Start Cubes to light my charcoal chimney whenever I'm using my charcoal grill or smoker. The alternative is using newspaper that results in a lot of ash blowing around and it is a mess.

Just light one of these under your charcoal chimney and it does the trick. No need to use 2.

I haven't used these in any other way, but I can imagine these would work good in any situation where you need a flame to stay lit for 10 minutes regardless of weather conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fantastic!, February 13, 2011
Typically, I simply use newspaper to start my fires with my Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter. The problem is, on windy days, the burnt newspaper flies all over the place getting all over my patio and patio furniture. After reading the reviews for this, I thought these were worth a try. WOW! I used these for the first time today since it was quite windy outside. One cube underneath the Chimney Starter filled with coals was all it took! These work exactly as I wanted and intended. On calmer days, I will stick to newspaper. However, these are a definite must if you often find yourself watching unwanted flying burnt newspaper getting all over the place!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, October 19, 2009
This absolutely the only way to start a charcoal fire - only one is needed to start a whole chimney - instructions indicate to use more but definitely not needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weber Fire Starters, September 8, 2009
Use only one starter and it works every time. This combined with a Weber charcoal chimney makes for an easy way to get your charcoal grill up and going for those perfect burgers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for BBQ, September 12, 2009
D. Spier (Newton, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Very easy tool to get old fashioned charcoal going. Simple and clean. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars handy, no aftertastes, no odor, September 4, 2011
The Firestarter Lighter Cubes are fantastic! No more paper, no more re-lights. Just put one on the coal grate, light with a match, lighter, or whatever, and put the chimney starter, loaded with the charcoal, over the starter cube. Lights the coals much faster than paper. Excellent product.

Weber 7417 FireStarters Lighter Cubes, 24 Count