5.0 out of 5 stars NOT for the Smaller Webers
Published on June 30, 2010 by Sky

2.0 out of 5 stars Spendy plus short lived = poor value
Published on March 10, 2012 by teamsc10190

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT for the Smaller Webers, June 30, 2010
This review is from: Weber 7527 Stainless Steel Replacement Cooking Grates (Lawn & Patio)
I own a Genesis Silver A and if you do too then you're in the wrong place for replacement grates. I had no idea that I had a Model A until these arrived at my door then didn't fit my grill. My bad, but returning to Amazon was easy and they pointed me to the correct replacement grates for my Weber. To be clear, the grates on this page are for the B & C models. Genesis Silver Model A replacement grates are at this link.

These replacement grates should have come with the grill; unfortunately, the grill came with the porcelain grates which I should have replaced the same day I got the grill 4 years ago. The stainless steel grates work much better because the heat is more evenly distributed, and they're just a more solid product.

There's not much more that can be said about cooking grates, so let me tell you a few things that I do to make my Weber work best for me.

-Most importantly...keep it covered. Amazon sells a cover...get it. Not coving it will cut its life in half at least.
-Cover the funnel shaped grease drip pan with tin foil and change it regularly; otherwise build-up in the trap can catch fire and THAT does not make a steak taste very good.
-Change the disposable grease traps regularly (otherwise they start to stink).
-Get yourself a quality wire brush and use it before each use...NOT after. The build-up on the cooking grates after each use actually protects them from the elements.
-Before each use, after you wire brush the grates, put some cooking oil on some paper towels and wipe the grates down.
-Pre-heat the grill on high for at least 5 - 10 minutes; it burns off anything left over from the cleaning and makes the cooking grates nice and hot.
-Initiate cooking steaks, chops, any cuts of meat (even burgers...no, not hot dogs) on just-over-medium heat for 2 minutes on each side and flip before cooking to your liking. This brief searing of each side locks in the flavor of your cut of meat.
-Cook with a closed cover; normal cuts of meat shouldn't take more than a total of 10 minutes (including the searing).
-Let your meat sit for up to 5 minutes before slicing (or biting into it!). This locks in the juices; if the juices are too hot when you slice (or bite), they'll run right out of your cut of meat.

There you go. Hope that helps. And don't forget to cover the grill after it cools. Bon appetit!

2.0 out of 5 stars Spendy plus short lived = poor value, March 10, 2012
You might expect when paying the big bucks for durable stainless steel that it will be the last time you'll be buying new grates. You'd be wrong if you're buying Weber's 7527 stainless steel grates. The original porcelain-clad steel grates in my grill lasted twelve years before rusting away. I replaced them with Weber's 7527 stainless steel variants that broke in less than three years. Not rusted; but fractured in half. Problem is that they are constructed of lightweight stamped stainless steel of an obviously low grade. These grates are fabricated using a blanking and forming process that wouldn't be possible with heavy gage, high quality stainless steel.

It's only after buying a replacement set of the same substandard grates that I came to discover that Weber actually does offer a proper set of heavy duty, durable stainless steel grates with heavy welded stainless rods under Weber model #9930. They're clearly more expensive, but they will be the last grates you'll ever need to buy, compared with the 7527 that's only good for a few years of service.

Weber's website doesn't even mention the #9930 as an available option. Thanks Weber! Too late for me, but be warned that the 7527 isn't the way to go. If you can't afford the 9930 grates, the original porcelainized steel grates are a much better buy and more durable than the 7527 grates.

In my assessment these 7527 grates offer poor cost-performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome replacement for the original grates, February 4, 2009
Robert V. Pace (Marlborough MA USA) - See all my reviews
If you have a Weber grille with the original el-cheapo porcelain coated grates, this is the item to buy! The grates do discolor after the first use but that doesnt affect the performance of them. The heat distribution is nice and even. The old porcelain coated grates wear out the coating, rust and warp. The stainless steel replacements are actually what Weber should have included when the grille was new especially considering what they ask for the grille brand new. I will be replacing any component with the stainless as the original parts go bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and price, June 4, 2009
B. Webster (Eastern Shore of Maryland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The original porcelain enameled cast iron cooking grates that came with my Weber Genesis Silver B Grill were starting to look awful. They had not exactly rusted through, but I think by the end of the summer, they would have been "history." I was not in favor of cooking on them for another season because I didn't want anything strange or rusty on my food so I searched the Weber website and saw the stainless replacement, but they were so expensive that I was hesitant to buy them.

Of course, since I am a huge fan of Amazon, I searched here and found the stainless steel grates at an amazing price, at least $20 less than Weber and free shipping. They were shipped super fast and they fit my grill perfectly.

Along with new stainless flavor bars, which I also purchased from Amazon, my grill just about looks brand new. The last items that I need and one that seems to be the most difficult to find are the warming baskets. I cannot seem to find ones that fit the Silver B grill or if you can find them they take forever to be delivered.

I am very pleased with the new grates and look forward to alot of summer grill cooking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, lasted only 2 years., February 2, 2010
Roger Kitzmiller (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I replaced my original grates with these stainless steel ones, thinking I could avoid the rusting I experienced with the old ones. The stainless steel ones did not rust, but after only two years, they came apart. The vertical grates separated from the horizontal supports, and some of the grates are bent. The problem is that the grates are too thin and seem unable to take the high heat the grill generates. I am going back to porcelain-coated grates.

1.0 out of 5 stars Light Duty and Thin, May 3, 2011
B. Peroceschi (Eagan, Minnesota - USA) - See all my reviews
The previous grates i had were the porcelain covered steel and seemed a bit heavier than these. I was surprised at how flimsy these are. Good price from Amazon, but if I bought them again might buy the porcelain covered ones. It isn't easy to see in the picture, but the bars are not solid stainless, not even close. They are sort of a hollow U-shape. These won't last 12 - 13 years like the originals.

Edited this down to 1 star. Looked at them again, very flimsy.

Wanted to add a couple of more things: It is possible that these were changed part way through production. Perhaps when earlier reviewers were purchasing these they were more heavy duty. Then later Weber made them a bit thinner.

Also, This is the first thing I returned through Amazon and they made the process very easy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rust!!!, February 18, 2011
I purchased these in Dec 2010 after reading all the favorable reviews. I have owned my Weber for about 8 years and during that time I have been through 2 sets of the procelain grates. When it was time to replace them again I decided to splurge and go for the stainless. Big mistake! Since I got them I have used them maybe a dozen times and they are already rusting! It's ridiculous. What a rip, what a waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very low quality, May 29, 2012
I take care of my grill, I clean it and I keep it covered but after 1 year 1/2 of grates have rusted through and broken. The others are on the way to breaking. This seems like a very low quality product and nothing like "Weber" quality. I love my grill but I'm not wasting money on these ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Also fits Spirit 300 series, June 6, 2010
Angie's Husband (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
Great stainless steel grate replacement. Also fits the Spirit 300 series if anyone is wondering...

5.0 out of 5 stars They work great, July 19, 2009
After having to replace some parts on the burners, I was pleased to update my six year old Weber with new SS cooking grates. They are so much better than the original porcelain grates that had rusted through. I recommend this purchase plus they were $20 less than at the Weber website store. Thank you Amazon.com for your competitive pricing.