5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every cent - great grill
Published on February 28, 2011 by Jerry

3.0 out of 5 stars Change is not always good.
Published on June 21, 2011 by Rob

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every cent - great grill, February 28, 2011
This review is from: Weber Genesis 6512001 E-310 637-Square-Inch 38,000-BTU Liquid-Propane Gas Grill, Copper (Lawn & Patio)
I had the earlier version of this grill. It survived nearly 10 years outside uncovered in the NJ weather before I moved it to NC. It survived another 8 years or so in NC before it became clear that it's time had come. During that time, I replaced the wooden slats (the slats are gone in the new model and the shelves are stainless steel) and the flavor bars once. I don't remember replacing the burner, but it is a possibility. Some time in this 18 or so years, the starter stopped working - I bought a new one and never got around to installing it. This grill owed me nothing, but when the burner finally went and I noticed some bad rust on the slide that holds the bottom on, I decided it was time for a new grill.

I purchased the E310 grill as the replacement and it is great - so far seems better than I remember the other grill when it was new. Gets very hot very fast and cooks evenly. I look for a long life out of the new grill too. Seems like a lot of money, but these guys are the real deal.

I also bought a large char-grill so called "professional" model a couple of years ago for another house at a local home center, and it seemed OK. But, the stainless steel housing is now deteriorating and I expect to get about five years total out of it - max. I have replaced the flavor bars already and I had to do some rigging them in because the supports were deteriorated. I think I paid about 400 for that grill, so you do the math!

The only complaint I have about the Weber is that the cooking surface is a bit small compared to their competitors on a dollar for dollar basis, but it is generally plenty big unless you are having quite a big party or something. I also note that you should follow the in structions carefully in putting it together. Part of the top shelf is a little tricky - be patient and all will go well.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, April 6, 2011
I've had several grills, gas and coal. Gas grills seemed ok at 1st but would not get as hot, or even and then just be a pain to use.

I wanted to buy quality that would last and with research Weber seemed to be a top choice. They cost more, and seemed to have less size/btu specs than the competition costing hundreds less.

I've got to confirm that after building and using the new Genesis 310 LP, I'm convinced that I got what I paid for. This grill is pure quality. Every piece of the grill acts to make it a more solid construction. The Grill Tub itself is solid, thick and looks like it could last forever. Even the cleaning trays are well designed.

I snapped a bolt by over wrenching it when putting it together. It was a Sunday afternoon, so I registered my grill on the web site, then called support. I got a live person in less than 3 min. I gave him my name and zip code and he had all my information from the registration I just submitted. I told him the issue, and they have sent out two new bolt+nuts. He also asked if I had a Weber grill before. I hadn't so I told him such. He then gave me tips on how to clean it, how to light it, and directed me to the weber nation website.

This product was worth the money, and getting free shipping from Amazon just made it better.

Hope that helps anyone sitting on the fence because of price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Change is not always good., June 21, 2011
I have owned the earlier version of this grill for 12 years, and it has served flawlessly, with some periodic replacement of parts. We recently bought this unit, which has a slightly larger grilling area, and the knobs are on the front, instead of the side, which does provide for two large work areas on either side of the grill. It is a very solid unit, which I am sure will last for years also. However, the burners run from front to back, rather than side to side. Because of the rectangular shape, the result is less burner area, and bigger gaps between the burners. Indeed, this grill takes much longer to heat up, and will not heat past about 550 degrees. The older unit would heat twice as fast and easily reach 700 degrees, which is important for searing, and heat recovery after opening to add or remove food. Additionally, flavorizer bars, which are an important design feature, are not as effective because the flame, which now goes front to back, only touches three of the bars, as opposed to going across all flavorizer bars in the old unit with the flame going side to side, perpendicular to the bars. As a result, the grilling surface heating area is uneven, with some spots hotter than others. If you are interested in very hot grilling surface, you should consider sticking with the side to side burner units with the knobs on the side.

UPDATE -- Werber now has a seering component added to the newer models of this grill, which I assume was added to address the concerns I noted above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do it, June 8, 2011
Like everyone else has said:

* it's solid
* it's heavy
* it gets hot really fast...and it gets REALLY hot
* it has remarkably even heating

I'm just trying to push you into buying it if you were like me, debating endlessly whether it was worth the price and in the meantime making due with a mediocre grill.

I had a $100 propane grill that I bought on a whim, and it lasted about a year before I realized:

* half of a piece of meat was cooked and the other half was raw
* grill times were inconsistent and abnormally long
* the grate coating peeled and rusted within months...cleaning with a wire brush just exacerbated this

Looking at the price/year, this one should ideally last 7 years. After a month using it fairly regularly, I think it just might. It's relatively easy to keep clean (the cooking surfaces...the inside is a mess but grills are always a mess inside, in my experience).

So really, what I'm trying to say is, if you like grilling and you grill at least once a week, this one is worth it. It eliminated all of the problems of the other grill for me, and it just feels like grilling should feel ("it just works").

If you make a lot of sauces to grill with that need to be heated up, look into one of the models with the side burner. I don't so I went with the 310.

If you're super serious about grill mark perfection, this one leaves fantastic grill marks effortlessly, but other reviews tend to make me believe the sear station in the higher models is not just a gimmick.

If you're trying to decide between stainless steel grates or coated cast-iron, people say the cast-iron retains heat better and has smaller gaps...beyond that my biggest fear was that it would be harder to clean, but its really not.

Hope that helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Grill Yet, March 2, 2011
In the past 16 years I have owned 4 grills. The first was a Duquesne natural gas grill. It worked well but after 4 years multiple parts rusted and had to be replaced. After 200.00 in parts It lasted another 2-3 years (it cost 700.00 new). I then bought a stainless steel natural gas grill from Home Depot ( a charbroil for about 500-600 dollars) that rusted out after 5 years and had to be replaced. Three years ago I purchased a stainless steel grill from Lowes (a Perfect Flame It cost 550.00). The last one was the worst. The handles were rusted in less than a year and after three years it was literally falling apart. I did a lot of research before buying the Weber Grill. It cost 200.00 more than my last one. The difference in quality was immediately apparent. The steel is heavier and thicker than my previous grills. It gets very hot, very quickly and steaks are perfect on this grill. I expect it will continue to perform better and last longer than any of my previous grills. My brother is on his third Weber grill, but he bought his first one 30 years ago. Where was he when I bought my first grill 16 years ago?

5.0 out of 5 stars Built like a Merceds Benz, August 7, 2011
I've owned cheap gas grills for years. They worked OK for cooking brats, burgers and steaks, but didn't do very well with chicken, etc. I just couldn't control the temperature well enough. I decided to upgrade, researched the subject, and bought the Weber Genesis. I chose the e-310 model because I have no need for side burners.

Buying it from Amazon turned out to be a great deal. Among other things, the delivery man was kind enough to horse this very heavy unit down to my back yard.

It took me several hours to assemble it by myself. (the instructions call for two people for a couple of the steps, but it is not hard for one person.) The instructions were very clear and the assembly was not difficult, just time-consuming. As I assembled it, I was impressed with the quality of the parts. I expect this grill will outlive me.

The finished grill looks really handsome. It cooks like a dream. I like the idea of a thermometer built into the hood. Three burners makes it so much easier to cook with indirect heat versus my former 2-burner grills. One really neat feature I didn't know it had until assembly is that the propane tank hangs from a scale that measures the weight of the remaining propane. No more worries about running out of gas unexpectedly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grill, December 29, 2012
Excellent grill I used it all summer. Weber needs to come up with a liner for the area below the flavor bars. I have been using heavy duty aluminum foil as a liner and changing it out every 3 to 4 times I use the grill. This definitely helps to reduce overall clean up time and mes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mean Green Grilling Machine, April 29, 2011
I ordered the Green Genesis 310 and it arrived exactly in the middle of the two hour window for delivery. Fantastic! It did take all of 2+ hours to assemble. Not a waste of time since I now understand how well everything is made and how to fix any of the problems that may come up in the very long time I expect to be using the grill. I will say you need to pay really close attention to the pictures to get it right (reversing the guard under the controls kept the doors from closing correctly - my bad!).

My previous grill had a side burner which never was used in the three years I had it, so I opted not to upgrade to the 320 Model. I like grill marks on grilled items but not a char on the outside (I know that this is heresy for you Texans out there who want a black crust on their beef) so I opted not to get the sear burner either. I have done hamburgers, steaks and shrimp with no problems searing without the extra burner.

An extra feature that was not mentioned is that the grilling surface is two sided with triangular elements that allow you to have a flat surface one way and the points of the triangle the other. The pointed side gives a narrow grill mark that is indented into the meat (the shrimp absolutely loved the deep sear without overcooking!) The flat side worked really well for hamburgers giving a good flat surface to grill on and slide a spatula under for flipping while keeping the juicy hamburger from coming apart.

Do let the grill come up to temperature before starting to cook hamburgers, which turned out very juicy with no pink left in them! I am a medium rare guy, but the wife has heard too many stories about the danger of undercooked hamburger. For the first time in a long time I had a 'done' hamburger patty that was still moist and flavorful!

I still will use my Green Egg for smoking and long cook-time roasts, but I am very pleased with my Green Genesis for everything else. It is hard to beat the manly thrill of having two first class Mean Green Grilling Machines! They look good together even when they are not cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cadillac of Gas Grills!, May 17, 2011
Our old Weber gas grill was 12 years old and dying a prolonged death. After it became apparent that new parts weren't going to fix it, we decided to buy a new one. It served us well and we were sad to see it retire, but its faithful service made us sure we wanted another Weber.

I did a lot of research online for performance and price among mid priced grills, and visited our local Lowe's to see some grills in person. We settled on this Weber Genesis E-310 gas grill (in black) and received it last week. I didn't buy it on Amazon but wanted to share our thoughts on it here anyway.

It took me about 90 minutes to put it together, but all the parts were in the box, and it was easy to follow the diagrams in the assembly instructions. I was impressed with how tightly everything fit together - no rattly doors or floppy handles on this model! The stainless steel trim and enameled paint look to be good quality. It has locking caster wheels that make it easy to move and easy to lock into place. There is a handy built in thermometer in the lid, which will be especially useful when I try smoking meat on this grill. I especially like that the propane bottle sits inside the cabinet, out of sight. And I LOVE that there is a washable, replaceable aluminum tray inside to catch the drippings. Our last grill called for an empty soup can but it never did the job well.

This last weekend I bought some nice steaks and rolled the grill out onto the patio for the inaugural cookout. I am happy to say that we love this grill! It lights easily, and cooks like a dream. The cast iron grates are supposedly coated with porcelain but you can't tell by looking. I sprayed the grates with Pam and left it burning on low for about 15 minutes to help season the grates. None of the meat stuck to the grates, and cleanup with a wire brush later was a breeze.

The side trays are very useful for holding platters and marinades and tongs. And the inner wire rack is nice for keeping rare steaks warm while the rest of the steaks are cooked longer.

I ordered the Weber cover for our grill, to keep it shiny and new as long as possible. Hopefully it will last as long as our trusty old grill, who stood by jealously as we raved about our new one.

If you're just cooking hotdogs, this is probably more grill than you need. If you use your grill year round and cook all kinds of meats, vegetables and breads on your grill, this is the one for you. It's expensive, but there are times you get just what you pay for.

ETA: We've cooked hamburgers, marinated pork loin and BBQ chicken since I wrote this review. I'm finding reasons to cook out so we can use it. It's an excellent grill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summary of two year's experience, April 19, 2012
Dragoneer (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I bought a Weber Genesis natural gas grill, Copper colored, with stainless grill surface two years ago Weber 3742001 Genesis E-310 Propane Grill, Copper. Weber no longer makes the Copper so I'm writing my review here. We grill a little more than once a week including winter.

Let's start with the cons: 1) natural gas seems to obtain maximum temperatures about 20-40 degrees F less than propane - this only makes a difference when you are going for the max, 2) the grill is tethered to the gas outlet so you can't move it much, 3) a piece broke - a part that holds the igniter to the surface of the side panel, and 4) the grill takes several hours to put together including several false starts from slightly ambiguous instructions.

The pros are: 1) my marriage survived grill assembly, 2) called Weber about broken piece and got a free replacement in a few days, 3) will never run out of propane in the middle of a chicken breast, 4) sturdy piece of equipment, 5) people who man the Weber phone banks are knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to, 6) there is enough heat after a 15 minute warmup to char most meats, 7) Weber has an interesting line of accessories (beer can chicken cooker, horizontal wire brush, grill cover, etc.) that are well made (and most can be used with others' grills too), 8) integrated grease drip and collection system - see below.

Some advise: do not get a model with a side burner/warmer. On this model, one side panel is completely free for your use and the other one has three burner-control knobs and an igniter. One panel is smallish and the other is cluttered. I find that I need all the available space for plates and tools and the side burner would be a bad trade-off; if it isn't on the grill, you wont be able to tell the difference from stove top so use the stove.

The grill went through the winters with no problems - the Weber cover (sold separately) provides adequate protection. However, max winter cooking temperatures seems a few degrees lower than summer time. Low-heat cooking is pretty good and there is reasonable flare control. The grill is very wind resistant, as good as I have ever seen. We occasionally have 30+ mph winds where I live: high-flame cooking is possible(!) but low-flame cooking is difficult - the wind might dowse the flame and this means you need to stand by to reignite. This is not a con since I've never seen any grill do any better in the wind.

Clean up is a breeze. The grease drip system is well thought out and integrated. On many other grills it is an afterthought or you have an enormous sheet holding cat liter or some other clay substance. On this Weber there is a place for a replaceable pan that catches drippings. Weber sells these pans and your local hardware store should have them in stock. A pan lasts for about 25 grillings; you may use more or less depending on what you cook and for how many.

As the title of this review says, I've had my Weber for approximately two years. Given the shape of the grill after a 100+ uses and 2 winters, I believe that this grill will last for many many more years. I expect it to be usable when 2020 comes. I only hope that I'm still around to enjoy it.