Summary: Easy to assemble, easy to start, great grill marks, easy to clean, size is medium (4 steaks or 12 thighs) seems small till you open the lid.

Assembly: Simple: Attach lid w/2 pins, screw handle on lid, slide cap on regulator, then slide in grease pan.

Published on May 21, 2004 by gonecatn

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool Grill but ... What were they thinking!
I like the grill a lot, but WHY IN THE WORLD would they make it to use a 14.1 OZ propane conister??!! I have YET to find one of those canisters, so I will have to take the other peoples advice and bend the support rind to accomodate the 16.4 oz conisters. POOR product development by Weber!
P.S. - I DID finally find a 14.1 propane canister at Lowes. They are kept with...
Published on June 23, 2004 by Angela Randall

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than it looks + 18 months later review + 3 year review + 4 year + 5 year review + 7 year review, May 21, 2004
gonecatn (Sierra Vista, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weber Baby Q (Q 100) Portable Gas Grill (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Lawn & Patio)

Tip: I really urge you to buy a hose adapter and hook up to a larger tank, but if you have to use smaller tanks it uses the long 14oz tanks sold in the hardware department, or remove the outside screw to the tank holder ring and bend it out so you can use the regular 16.4 oz tanks from the camping department.

StartUp: I am still amazed, turn regulator knob to start and push the ignitor and it lights up!

Break in: None..but the grill is NOT nonstick, Just wash the grill before the first use. (It is coated to prevent rust, not to be non-stick), so use oil on the food. Heat up the grill first for 10 or 15 minutes to get hot and oil grate to prevent sticking. I talked at length with Weber about the cooking grate and you do not season this grate!

Cooking: Anything you want to cook fast, GO HIGH...burgers, steaks, shrimp...great grill marks. (I just couldn't make a good steak on a portable gas grill until now). Great taste! Anything else, GO LOW...dogs, brats, potato wedges, corn on the cob. Always cook chicken on low or skins will burn and stick. You can also just mix the oil in with a marinade.

Flare up: Almost none. I intentionally cooked very fatty thighs and got very little flare up, but did get lots of splatter making the chicken turn dark, but it cooked off. Just trim a little...

Clean up: Just scrape, burn, and scrape grate again with brass bristles. If that doesn't work don't be scared to just wash it. For the inside I just scrape down towards the bottom with a piece of cardboard so everything falls out the bottom hole into the grease pan. This is very handy.

It stays cool underneath! BBQ on any surface!!!

Hello again, it's been 18 months since I did this review and after being abused all summer and winter and another summer it still works the same as the first day! I've used mine 2 or 3 times a week in the summer and at least once a week for football and NASCAR. I heat my grate for 10 minutes, brush it, take it off and spray it with a garden hose (every time), heat again for 5 minutes then spray with oil and still not one speck of rust. How you clean yours is up to you, all I'm saying is it's virtually rustproof.
TIPS: I put it in a plastic storage container with all the stuff that goes with it, then put it on the pontoon boat, take it back out and bbq right on top of the plastic container! Who needs expensive carriers when you can buy a wheeled plastic storage container and use it as a bbq table too. I also put a little thermometer on the front top, drill one hole and it screws right on. Oh, and one last thing, I only used $27.00 of propane the whole time (3 tanks)..how bout that!

Three years and still goin strong. I haven't replaced anything!
My other BIG Charbroil Gas grill has since rusted away and needs new grills and drip plates.

Four years and I still haven't had to replace anything. It still works as good as the day I bought it and the cast iron porcelain-enameled cooking grate still has NO RUST!

Five years and I still haven't had to replace anything. It still works as good as the day I bought it and the cast iron porcelain-enameled cooking grate still has NO RUST!

Seven years and still works great. Even the electronic starter still works. I bought another one on clearance from a lumber store because the box had a hole in it for $129.00. I took my seven year old one out to the back yard and washed it and sprayed it with Krud-Kutter all over and got most of the grease off. Took a brass brush and cleaned the burner good opening all the holes back up and spent about 25 minutes really scraping and brushing the grate and it still heats up to 500 degrees in about 15-20 minutes. I finally got some rust on the grate by leaving it out in the winter for a week with no cover and one of the few times it snowed here the grill was open. Just clean it and oil it back up. It works as good as the new one. I have thermometers on the front top of both of them and they work identically. I may take a video of both of them for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waaaayy better than what I expected!, February 6, 2006
T. Griffin (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
First of all, gotta give Amazon their just credit- ordered on Feb 2nd, and received grill on the 6th using Super Saver shipping. Can't beat that.

I'm a former professional chef and I wanted a grill that would work well, but didn't need a larger(and much more expensive) gas grill. I have a commercial smoker, a deep fryer, and a 4 burner cooktop that I use more often than I grill, so a big monster of a grill would just take up space and use more gas for the 10-12 times a year I would use it. The portable grills I had tried in the past were all cheaply made and suffered from poor design which led to flare ups and burning. I was hesitant to go with the Weber, but took the chance based on user reviews I saw here and elsewhere. I'm glad I did.

I opened the box to find a very nicely constructed grill made out of quality materials. Assembly took all of 3 minutes(just attach handle with 2 screws and lid with two cotter pins, then drop grill into place). Heavy cast iron grill for good grill marks over well designed burner system. Very nice so far. I attached grill to 20# tank using adapter I also ordered which lets me supply the Weber from the same tanks I use for the other cooking equipment. Adapter dosen't require removal of anything from grill so you maintain total portability if you need it.

Grill fired on first push of starter button, and after about 5 minutes of pre heating I threw on a couple of burgers. Cooking went well with minimal flaring, and the cast iron grill gave great marks just like in the pretty pictures you see in magazines. It has only seen the one test cook, but this grill is well worth the money IMO, and I believe it has a great future on my deck. The size is ample for 4-5 ribeyes or 2 large T-bones or maybe 8+ burgers. This is fine for me as my grilling is usually limited to 2-4 people. The Weber Q is the Baby Q's larger sibling and it is slightly larger if you need the extra space.

Only possible concern you might have is your need for a side burner, smoker, or rotisseree attachment if you don't have these needs otherwise covered. But for pure grilling, I see nothing to complain about with the Baby Q.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grill and great price, March 7, 2007
D. D. Childress (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this grill for nearly a year and a half and love it.

You can get a hose kit to hook up to full size propane tanks for convenience.

Fits great on our small balcony and is very portable and easy to clean.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for small gatherings of 4-6 friends, May 12, 2004
TenneFee (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
If small spur of the moment gatherings are your thing then this is the perfect grill for you.
Here's why:
1) Its small size makes it a very portable grill thus allowing you and your peeps to escape to the beach or hang out in the alley behind your flat to enjoy some "flame kissed" cow product.
2) Its small size makes it perfect for burgers and dogs for 4-6 friends but if you are cooking for a backyard full of friends and family you may want to consider a larger grill.
3) I own this grill as well as Thermos' "Grill-2-go". The "flame kissed" burgers that this "baby-q" churns out are much tastier than the G2G's greasy rendition of the all american beef patty treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, August 26, 2005
I had one problem when my grill arrived that I'd like to share. After unpacking and attaching a 16oz propane tank, I attempted to fire up the grill. A note on the grill said it could take several pushes of the igniter to actually get the grill going but after about 10 pushes, I still couldn't see a flame. I read how the flame was hard to see in bright daylight but the smell of propane was getting stronger so I turned off the grill immediately. Weber recommends you wait 5 minutes to let the gas disperse from the burner before attempting to light the grill again so I did just that. 5 minutes later, I try my 2nd attempt and nothing happened.. again. I used a lighter to force the grill to lite and that worked like a charm. But I was still bothered by the igniter not working initially.

I decided to call up Weber's customer service number and spoke to a very kind lady. She told me that she can guarantee that the problem involves a piece of the igniter unit not being lined up correctly with the burner. I thought it was a faulty igniter but since the unit was brand new, that was highly unlikely. Anyway, I got off the phone only after registering my grill with them. 24/7 customer service is a great idea although for a company that primarily makes grills, I thought it was pretty much overkill; oh well, more power to the consumer. After the grill had cooled down, I removed the grate and scrutinized the alignment of the igniter piece with the burner. Right away I could see things weren't lined up correctly so I got a wrench, loosened the burner and fixed everything accordingly. I replaced the grate, turned on the propane and on the first click, the flames came on.

Compared to my previous grill which was a Coleman Roadtrip Party grill, this grill is a vast improvement. There are no hot spots and food appears to cook evenly just like everyone else says. I now wish I can use it everyday to prepare my meals; who says I can't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest little grill on earth !!!, June 20, 2004
By A Customer
This grill is a small grillers dream come true! If you're mainly grilling for just a few people and can't bring yourself to pay over $300 for a full size grill, this is the best thing I've ever seen for you (and me). The startup time is fantastic! The grill heats up in less than 5 minutes and cooking is just like grilling on a full size grill. The food comes out with that nice "barbeque" taste and has the grill lines like any other. Clean-up is a breeze since the grate itself which, by the way is very heavy and sturdy, just pops right out where you can hose it down or scrape it and wash it. Set-up of this grill is less than 5 minutes. You simply put the pins in securing the top cover, pop in the grate and the drip tray, and screw in the propane tank. That's it! This is what I've been looking for forever. A small grill that I don't have to go through the trouble of getting charcoal and lighter fluid and having to clean all that up afterwards.
There are a few quirks which I feel I need to point out ... though this still doesn't take away from my 5 star rating:
** If it's a windy day, you'll be chasing the drip tray down the street most of the day. It just kinda sits down there below the grill and is not secured in any way. I found the best way is to just put a piece of scotch tape on both sides of it and secure it to the base.
** If you do buy the rolling cart for this grill (which I highly recommend), just remember a couple things. First, it's very common when you're moving it to accidently pick the handls of the grill up instead of the handle of the cart. I almost dropped it a few times because inadvertantly I went to move it and not thinking, I grabbed the handle of the grill almost lifting it off the cart and dropping it. Again, since only the back feet of the grill hook into the cart and not the front, it might be a good idea to secure the front feet of the grill to the cart (duct tape, velcro, etc.). Secondly, (since I didn't really read the directions) if you decide to go with the big propane tank instead of the smaller 14oz cannisters, the bottom rack of this cart was not meant for the large heavy propane tank and will bend noticeably if you put it down there, as I did. The instructions for the cart specifically say not to put a large propane tank down on the lower rack. But I did and secured it down there with velcro straps and I haven't had any problems at all. The 14 oz cannisters make it much more portable, but the large propane tank will last you probably the whole season. Much cheaper too. Something to consider.
** It's very hard to see if it's lit in bright light. If you light this grill in bright sunshine, it's almost impossible to see if the burner is lit. You have to kinda close the cover about an inch from the bottom to shade the area below the grate to see if the blue flames are going. Even when it's lit, in bright light you can't see them on. You have to shade it to see.
Again, these are very minor points and I would give this grill a 6 out of 5 if I could. For what this grill does, it's well worth the money and absolutely the best purchase I've made in a long, long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars weber baby q, April 26, 2004
L. Orphan "teaches6" (Sumner, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
I have now used my Weber Baby Q for about a month and find it to be the best grill that I have used in a long time. It is small enough that I can easily use it as a tail gate or camping grill, and yet big enough that I can cook a lot of food at one time.
Two features worth mentioning are that the grill drippings, which typically on small grills cause flare-ups, are directed by the cast grill away from the flame to prevent any flare-ups.
The second feature worth mentioning is that the grill cooks a little faster and more evenly than smaller stamped steel type portable grills.
One last feature that I will mention is that the grill cleans up easily as the body is cast aluminum and the grill surface has some sort of coating on it to prevent stickage.
Don't hesitate to buy this grill--you will be very happy with your purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic portable grill, June 6, 2004
By A Customer
Been thinking of buying one for about a month. Finally bought one to take to a picnic at the beach last week. Did a great job on about 24 burgers and 20 hot dogs (obviously not all at once). Found the cooking to be very even and fast. Really liked the use of the disposable trays for the drip pans. I did have a hard time getting the grill going with the built in starter because it was so windy, but once lit, did not have any problems. Didn't do steaks until last night and was very happy with the results. The starter worked fine at home on my sheltered patio. Decided to do four boneless rib-eyes about 1 1/4" thick. I had to guess at the timing, but ended up with high for 3' per side, then on medium for 3' per side. Excellent rare to medium rare, with nice grill marks. The use of cast iron for the grilling surface on such a compact grill is sheer genius.
Because I had a half dozen 16 oz. canisters left over from another portable grill, I removed the upper screw holding the support ring, and opened up the ring until the larger canister fit. Found that it supported the canister just fine. I will probably end up buying the 20# tank adapter anyway, but am happy with how the 16 oz canisters are working. I feel Weber really should consider shipping the Baby Q's with both sizes of support rings. I would be willing to pay an extra $5 for the convenience.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Baby Gets It Done, March 16, 2004
I've owned several other portable grills (Grill-2-Go, $20 propane grills), but this one is by far the best. You know it is something special when it arrives fully assembled except for attaching the lid.
The cast iron grilling surface makes those great searing marks and lets the food cook evenly. The regulator on this grill really allows you to adjust the size of the flame (unlike cheaper grills). The drip pan is also great and replacements can be purchased at local hardware stores.
We use this grill with our RV and it is the perfect size for our family of 3. I don't see how we could use the full size Weber Q --- the baby Q is more than large enough for us.
Kudos to Weber!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Little Grill!, September 25, 2004
I have used this little grill along with the mating cart for about 3 months with great success. The unit is easy to assembly, and the folding cart is nicely designed. Assembly took less than 10 minutes.

This grill is allowable under most newer fire codes that allow gas grills with tanks of 2.5 pounds of propane or less for apartments and condos with wooden decks. Although it is designed for the slender 14 ounce cylinders, the 16 ounce variety can be accommodated if the wire loop is removed and the tail end of the canister is propped up.

The footprint for this grill fits well in my small deck area. It can easily be folded and stowed when the space is needed for entertaining.

Cooking is good and even, but those who like steaks well-done from lots of flare ups should look elsewhere. I grill a lot of lean beef and chicken, so I usually have to brush these with olive oil before grilling to brown evenly and minimize sticking. Bigger BBQ projects requiring high clearance covers are not possible with this grill, although I have considered making a temporary cover from heavy-duty aluminum foil to try out beer can chicken.

I purchased my grill at the local hardware store at the semi-annual storewide sale. The sales staff was excellent in helping me examine the options. Although I seriously considered the Gas Go-Anywhere grill, I like the design of the BabyQ with the cart.

I hope to keep this grill for years to come. The cast aluminum and heavy plastic parts should give little trouble. Weber has a good reputation for keeping components (burner, regulator, ignitor) available for years. The grill has a five year warranty (one year for paint).