Weber's Time to Grill: Get In.  Get Out.  Get Grilling.
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$19.17 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 11, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
According to the back cover, this is Weber/Jamie Purviance's eighth grilling book. By my count ( I own 'em all!), the seven previous books total about 1,400 recipes, excluding those for rubs, marinades and sauces. So, you ask, does this book add enough to the grilling experience to justify its purchase?

O my! Indeed it does!

So let me walk you through this gem of a book, to see if I can convince you to shell out the dinero for it. My bona fides? As I calculate it, this is easily my 50th year cooking over live fire with Weber equipment, and I hope that this gives me some basis for opining on this book. Let's go.

The first section you will see as you page through it is called "Grilling Basics". It includes the usual stuff on charcoal vs gas, how to light a grill, etc. More importantly, it also contains such sections as "a well stocked pantry" as well as a list of equipment that is essential for the griller. Also included is a section called "prep school', which has detailed photos and instructions on such things as choping an onion, dicing a jalapeno chile, prepping seafood and prepping poultry. It's a cool primer on things one needs to master before the meat hits the flame.

Next you will see sections and recipes for rubs, marinades, sauces and dressings. While the first three are both important for good, flavorful results, and expected recipes in any good grilling book, the "dressings" are a first, as far as I can tell. I really like them, because most will work as salad dressings, as well as for finishing grilled entrees. All of the rubs, marinades, sauces and dressings are marked with the type of food they are best used with, i.e., beef, poultry, etc.

The major portion of the book is broken down into sections on red meats, pork, poultry, seafood, eggs (read breakfast food) veggies and desserts. Within these sections, and on opposite pages as you read, are recipes noted as "easy" and "adventurous". I should note that the latter does not mean complex or difficult. For example, you will find steak fajitas with a 15 min prep time, 20 min marinating time and 4 -6 min grilling time. On the opposite page is the recipe for steak & cheese tamale casserole, with a 30 min prep time and a grilling time of 1 hour. Similarly, later in the book, you will see "easy" chile rubbed pork tenderloin, opposed by "adventurous" grilled pork pasole (stew). Total time for the former is about 40 min and for the latter, a bit over 1 hour. I would not consider any of the "adventurous" recipes as overly difficult or beyond the grasp of one who is new to the grill; they just have a bit more complexity to the appearance and the flavor of the finished dish.

I like the breakfast section a lot, mainly because most do not associate grilling with breakfast. But as a MUCH younger guy, I remember doing pancakes and sausage in a skillet over charcoal on one of those post grills that are in some parks here. Pretty good results with some mimosas while the unlimited hydroplanes raced on the Detroit River. It's a very neat section.

For those with personal communication devices, Weber has a way to get a shopping list for each dish to you while you are in the market. The contact information to type in appears at the bottom of each recipe. That obviates the inevitable "oops!" when you start to prep and find that a critical ingredient is not in the pantry. A very neat inclusion.

In sum, then, I like and recommend this book without a single reservation. In a similar manner, I also endorse the whole line of Weber/Purviance books, all of which have five star reviews here. I have lived with and worked with these books for many years, since the "Big Book" came out in 2001. I freely admit to being a dedicated Weberholic; I have cooked on their grills for decades, used their after market equipment and have relied on their books. I have rarely been disapponted, and when I was, it was usually something I had done to mess up the grits.

When I light the fire (and I do so all year long, even in our Michigan winters), it's with the hope and expectation of putting really flavorful food in front of family and friends. I like to surprise them with new and innovative food, and this book will surely let me do that for a good long time.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon March 9, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I recieved this book from Amazon yesterday afternoon and have been totally immersed in it. This is exactly the kind of grilling cookbook I was hoping Weber would put out someday! So far, everything about this book is great: The format/design, the recipes, the photos...EVERYTHING!

The first section of the book is called "Grilling Basics" and covers stuff like stocking your pantry, must-have tools, how to prep foods for the grill, gas vs. charcoal, grilling time, how to check for doneness, etc. In addition, there are basic recipes in this section for rubs, marinades, sauces, and dressings.

Then we get to the "guts" of the book. The individual chapters are Appetizers; Red Meat; Pork; Poultry; Seafood; Eggs; Vegetables; and Desserts. Each chapter is filled with great looking/sounding recipes that are explained in a clear and concise manner. Each recipe also includes information on prep time and grilling time, along with at least one beautiful color photo. The beginning of each chapter also breaks the recipes down into two categories: "Easy" and "Adventurous." So you can tell at a glance which recipes will be the quickest. The recipes themselves also have an icon that tells you whether they are "Easy" (downward arrow) or "Adventurous" (upward arrow).

The cool thing about the format of this book is that each page spread features a pair of recipes that are similar in nature. But one is "Easy" and the other is "Adventurous." So, for example, on pages 76 and 77 there is the "Easy" Filet Mignon Steaks with Brown Butter Sauce...and the "Adventurous" Whole Tenderloin with Bearnaise and Asparagus. And on pages 176 and 177 you get the "Easy" Garlic-Sage Turkey Cutlets with Cranberry Sauce...and the "Adventurous" Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Breast with Apple-Sage Stuffing. Or on pages 212 and 213, you get the "Easy" Swordfish and Tomato Kabobs...and the "Adventurous" Swordfish Steaks with Sicilian Salsa. Get the idea? I think it's a very clever concept.

The Resources section at the back is also very helpful, with grilling guides for different meats, seafoods, fruits, and veggies. Even the index is well done!

There are also a few features sprinkled throughout the book (e.g., "The Birth of the Kettle") that I found interesting.

If you love to grill, this is a must-have book. Weber and Jamie Purviance have done it again! I can't wait to cook myself through this one. Now, what should I have for dessert? The "Easy" Grilled Chocolate Sandwiches...or the "Adventurous" Toasted Bread and Pears with Chocolate Fondue?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I have enjoyed several of Jamie's previous books, but this one has gained the attention of my wife, much to my benefit!

My wife loves this book and has cooked many of the recipes. The illustrated how-to guides have been very helpful and she is closing in fast on my grilling dominance, and will likely surpass me soon.
Excellent not just for the recipes, but also for learning to cook, "The Weber Way". If you don't know what this means, buy this book.
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
It sounds cliché to say that Purviance and Weber, now in their eighth collaboration, have produced another astounding cookbook, but they have, without repeating themselves. The embossed cover is an invitation to what lies within: luscious photography and reachable recipes for the griller who is pressed for time or has a bit too much time on his/her hands. The format of the book is accessible too: recipes are identified in adjoining pages as "easy" or "adventurous" and ordered by easily identifiable sections like red meat and poultry, long with a few surprises like an Eggs section. Delightful!

The pantry and prep section in the front of the book is substantial and welcome. Most of the tips I haven't heard before or have subtle variations, like the section on trussing a chicken for the rotisserie. This section gives grillers some needed culinary introduction and lots more recipes for sauces, marinades, rubs, and the like. I love the "Prep School" with step-by-step instructions and clear photographs by Tim Turner, who has worked his magic camera on the other Weber books.

Alas, I'm on a restricted diet from here to eternity, and many of these recipes will find only my occasional use. No matter. The vegetable section is the most substantial of all the Weber books and alone is well worth the price of the book. The same applies to the seafood section. There's a mobile/web component too, although I haven't checked it out yet. (I just received the book today!)

Jamie Purviance is a James Beard Award nominee. I hope this WEBER'S TIME TO GRILL earns him the award this time; he deserves it.

Now go buy the book!
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This book is great. There are multiple sections, each with a different type of food to grill, such as poultry, seafood, red meat, desserts, etc. On the left page is an easier recipe and on the right page, a harder one, so the book caters to novice and experienced cooks. It is very colorful, thorough and well put together. All of the recipes I've tried so far are fantastic. There are grilling tips and sections on how to know when its done, how to grill it, etc. The only negative thing is that there aren't any reviews, like there would be online, but that is going to happen with any cookbook.
on April 14, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I have been grilling for years but using Weber for the last 5-6 years. I have several books on how to grill but this is by far the best I have ever seen. So, if you are into grilling, this is a "must have" book. It is detailed and complete.
on May 4, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is our third book by Weber / Jamie Purviance. Our first one was Real Grilling which we now refer to as the Old Testament and Way to Grill which is the New Testament respectively. All we can say is wow. We have tried many recipes and each one was fantastic. Some more than others obviously but never disappointed with any. What we like most about this particular edition is that each recipe can be made in an evening. Prepared in 30 minutes or less and grilling time is decent. Some of the recipes in the other editions require some thought because of different marinading times.

Here is the bottom line. If you are looking to go beyond hot dogs and hamburgers, you owe it to yourself to pick up this book. Pick up any of Mr. Purviance's book and you won't be disappointed. You and your guests will be amazed.
on June 20, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I bought this book for my husband just about a month ago and already he has used it to cook dinner for us 4 times-- that's once a week! Everything has been MORE than delicious, too! The cookbook is designed in a very visual and hands-on way that doesn't intimidate him to try new things on the grill. He even got the food processor out to make an avocado & dill dip! I'm extremely excited about what future meals this book will bring to us and our family- which sounds pretty funny to say about just a book, but I guess that means this isn't JUST A BOOK... it's THE BEST grilling cookbook I've ever used. I will definitely be buying more of these for gift-giving occasions!
on April 3, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I'm a huge fan of Jamie Purviance's cookbooks, and this is no exception. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be my go-to grilling cookbook. I have several of the Weber cookbooks, and cook from them regularly. This is filled with easy, delicious recipes that make weeknight cooking a breeze. I made mahi mahi and snow peas with the teriyaki marinade last night - 10 minutes prep / 5 minutes grill time - and had a delicious meal I would be thrilled to get in any restaurant.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
After finding this book in a grocery store, I nearly bought it on the spot (I ended up buying from here) - it had beautifully illustrated pictures, easy-to-follow recipes, and names two types of recipes for every primary ingredient (eg, portabella mushrooms or salmon) - an "easy" recipe, and a "more challenging" recipe. This book gets me EXCITED about grilling. There are so many wonderful recipes that I want to try, and we've had yet to try and fail.

I've cooked a number of recipes in here so far, both "easy" and "more challenging" recipes, and several have become instant favorites. Among those, the "Portabello, Spinach, and Swiss Cheese Quesadilla" is probably my favorite. It's quick and easy, yet incredibly delicious.

These recipes are geared toward cooking four-person meals, though I've cooked mostly for two and three people successfully by adjusting the ingredients proportionally.

There is one thing that dings the book, and it's quite a shame, too. I've been unable to successfully use the book's website to make a shopping list. Granted, I only tried it once, but at the time it completely failed me. I've found it's easier to simply take a picture of the recipe with my phone, then shop from that.