5.0 out of 5 stars Lighter than light and faster than fast

Published on January 4, 2012 by bobcat

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighter than light and faster than fast, January 26, 2012
Kit Parenteau "Geek" (Westminster, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I'll say straight out that PCMag.com has it absolutely correct in their review of this. I decided to throw my two cents into the bucket here because of the interesting information here. Overall, having poked at computer security since 1995 (Webroot wasn't even a twinkle in anybody's eye back then), I can safely say that this is an amazing product! Not without fault, of course, as nothing ever is these days. This review covers an ongoing use including the past three months. Read on!

DISCLAIMER:
I -WILL NOT- review the efficacy of security products. The rule is simple: NOTHING will ever protect you 100%. So hope for the best and prepare for the worst. If you are interested in efficacy information, see major tech reviews or any reputable testing agency and remember that the challenge out there in the field changes from month to month and even day to day. Test results are usually not a display of reality even a week later.

The Praise (Good Stuff)
=======================
- Fast. I mean... Seriously. Fast.
- VERY small load on the computer.
- Stays out of the way.
- Set and forget simplicity.
- Actively developed to work properly with other security packages.

The Raze (Not Good)
=======================
- Being new, there are some tech problems and account problems that may occur. Support is very responsive now.
- Some of the messaging is occasionally confusing for basic users.
- It's green. (Not really bad, but this section looked too small)

=======================
The Haze (Stuff to consider)
=======================
- Basic users should definitely Set and Forget. Don't poke the settings!
- Advanced users should know what the settings mean before poking them.

=======================
The install file is TINY. Under a megabyte. If you need to download it, it's fast even on a slow network. After an install and keycode entry, it ran a scan that took about three minutes. I didn't expect this to be its version of a "slow" scan, as indeed, now scans take about 54 seconds on my system. Not trusting this, I delved into the manual, contacted everybody I could, tested furiously, and came to my own personal conclusion that it does indeed work, and works that fast. Looking into the processes and memory use, it's taking up a tiny amount of memory and CPU compared to anything else I've tried (Literally 2-8MB when idle). This means you have the computer resources to do other things than worry about your security software.

It is perfectly permissible to install it, leave it at default, and never look at it again. It won't pop up warnings, questions, or "What should I do?" messages, unless it specifically finds something. If it does, let it run the extra scans until it comes back clean. All the tech data makes it clear that this is important. I would definitely encourage basic users to use the "Set and Forget" method, as the settings can be a bit mindboggling and I did find ways to click the wrong things and make it a bit not-good.

It's interesting in the sense that "common knowledge" tells you to not run more than one Antivirus program or firewall. See some of the more detailed reviews on PCMag.com or something similar for the details, but suffice to say that I had absolutely no problem setting it up with other programs at the same time. It does even specifically ask you to turn on the Windows Firewall if no other firewall is installed and that is off.

-----------
15 months?

Now, like I said, not perfect. I only encountered one technical problem that was rapidly resolved by an uninstall and reinstall (And considering it takes about 30 seconds to do that, it's not a big deal). I also encountered a problem with the 15 months thing. I'm not fond of phone calls and history shows that companies will always be slammed on the phones when a new product is released. I made a quick visit to their support system online, filled out a message, and waited a few days at the time (Support gets slammed by silly little stuff obviously... But see more in a moment). A little bit of a message and I was able to get it resolved with no issues.

Since support was so slammed, I also decided to keep track of how bad it would be ongoing. While there were hour-plus waits right around release, and tickets on the net took a few days to get an answer to, two checks this week got answers within minutes on the phone and in messages. Of course waits will always vary, but it shows very well that either any kinks with the new product are being ironed out very quickly or they are hiring a lot more tech reps. Given that all the tech support people I have spoken too have been in Colorado also, and my experience with the program on my own computer and watching some tech forums, I have to say that things are improving at breakneck speed. The last time I saw anything new from scratch from any other companies, it was years to get to the level this is at now.

--------
Also...

I don't test efficacy. I said that to begin with. However having researched the technology behind this, read information from numerous sources, and seen first-hand reports from dozens of happy people in various tech forums... Well, I have to say that the concept and technology behind this is very exciting.

=======================
Summary (Almost the end!)
=======================

For most people, Install it and Forget it is the best bet. But there is a LOT to configure if you know what you're doing.

I'd say this is a solid product and a solid support crew should you need the help, assuming they don't fix whatever's wrong before you get it anyway. With a disgustingly-good money back guarantee from Webroot directly, even for retail purchases, you really can't go wrong with this. Give it a try, and if you don't like it, you have over two months to get a refund. Not sure? Go ahead and try out the Free Trial at their web site, since it's free and not hobbled.

For more detailed tech specs in a review, I recommend visiting the one at PCMag and taking a look.

As always, I update my reviews when new information becomes available and I am always happy to answer questions to the best of my ability. Let know if this review helped you and if it didn't, let me know why in a comment so I can answer the questions you need to know.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
While the amazon website and the webroot box both say the software provides 15 months of protection, after installing it and checking the remaining service time, it only provides 12 months. A call to Webroot was a deadend as they said they don't sell to Amazon (although it was fulfilled by and shipped from Amazon) so they said call Amazon as it was there problem. A call to Amazon indicated it was Webroots problem. Amazon did offer a full refund within 30 days, however.

So, short story long, if you buy this product, expect to get 80% of what is advertised!

5.0 out of 5 stars Webroot leads the industry again, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
Hat's off to Webroot, who continues to lead the industry on the cutting edge. They may not be the biggest, but they're obviously the brightest. The Webroot SecureAnywhere product line is quite revolutionary. My SecureAnywhere Complete runs below the operating system level such that it need not apply the CPU usage and time that the antivirus typically needs. Not only is it super fast but also super effective. Advance heuristics, behavioral analysis, direct server (sandbox like) real time internet browsing technology, and process/firewall controls including program reports showing what your computer is doing every second! No more confusing Firewall prompts or false negatives, Webroot let's Windows control the gate in....while Webroot protects the critical areas, including 1)Outside the firewall/PC in the "cloud" before threats can arrive to your PC....and (2) at the filesystem level on your PC, with real-time threat monitoring and a firewall that blocks outgoing threats/downloaders. Very unique, very revolutionary. Also includes online back-up, military-quality password encryption/protection, and a genuine mobile application that functions in tandem with the PC account. There are some things for them to work out still, as with any new-to-market product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficiency, February 5, 2012
Brenda (Midland, Tx, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
We wanted virus protection that wouldn't use so much of our computers resources and slow them down so badly. Webroot seems to fit that need by using "the Cloud" so the program is always up to date but isn't jogging memory. It's cleaned out a few worms and viruses so it's doing the job for a reasonable price.
We're happy with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch software, January 31, 2012
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
For years I used AVG until I finally got tired of its sluggish behavior and constantly freezing my systems. When looking for an alternative, I came across Webroot and instantly fell in love with it. What appeals to me is how small the software is - It could fit onto a floppy disc - and how it runs in the b/g but you would never notice because of what little RAM usage is required. I'm currently running Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete (with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO) on 3 desktops and 1 laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavyweight capability with a flyweight footprint, April 23, 2012
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I can't say enough about how much I like this product. I used to work as a computer technician and I expect a lot with security. It blows my mind that it has so much ability with such shocking small requirements. I love the sandbox and the advanced features that come streamlined into the product.

I suppose the only gripe I have is that I'd like to be alerted when a website is trying to exploit my system. Even if it's not successful, I'd like to know so I can get out of there.

Lastly, coming from the world of behemoth security systems without a lot of protection to show for it, the speed of the system scans borders on unsettling. Is the computer really clean after a minute and fourteen seconds of scanning? Best I can tell, it sure is. A security program that does everything I want, now that'll take some getting used to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Fast Full Sys. Scan - 2-3 Mins., February 2, 2012
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I really like the extreme speed over any of the other Security Suites that I have tried. Panda, AVG, Norton & others... Some of the Highlights are: Not needing to update, a complete computer scan in only 2-3 minutes. Although I have only used this product for a couple of months I believe that Webroot SecurityAnywhere Complete 2012 is One of the best Internet Security Suites that I have ever used.

I recommend it to everyone. Due to it's Speed and it's Small Use of Computer Resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works good, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I like the new features in the product and the redesign. The scans are much faster than before. I have installed this on three computers and I really would recommend this to anyone to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secure Anywhere Review, November 20, 2011
John A Williamson (Stockbridge, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I like the clean, simple, easy to use interface. This is my third interface since I first purchased WebRoot and this is by far the best, cleanest and easiest interface to use. Everything that you need to secure your pc is in a easy to use interface. You are able to set up your different shields which allows you to setup the shields up to the way you feel comfortable. I have recommended this for my family's computer security needs; i.e. kid in college, kid in high school, and parents and others who just need a peace of mind and not have to worry if they are secure or not - they are!

5.0 out of 5 stars webroot review, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
AWSOME SOFTWARE FAST & TAKES UP LESS SPACE AND WONT SLOW YA DOWN THE BEST SECURITY SOFTWARE ON THE MARKET EXCELLENT!!!!!

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version]
Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete [Old Version] by Webroot Software (Windows 2000 / 7 / Vista / XP)
$79.99 $24.15