5.0 out of 5 stars Most trusted dictionary for your own reference?
This is my most trusted dictionary for my own reference and studies. I bought a copy for work and home.

This dictionary is very easy-to-use and gives me full and complete definitions.

Published on January 3, 2006 by J. Giner

1.0 out of 5 stars completely outdated software
The software included with this dictionary was made in 1999. I'm not sure what the point of even including the CD-ROM is since it won't work on a lot of today's computers. I called the customer support number hoping there was an update and was told that there has never been an update and there isn't one planned. So unless you have to have this version for work (sadly, I...
Published on April 27, 2012 by H. Okie

5.0 out of 5 stars Most trusted dictionary for your own reference?, January 3, 2006
This review is from: Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition (Book with CD-ROM) (Hardcover)

This dictionary is very easy-to-use and gives me full and complete definitions.

When I need to look up a word with an obscure usage or special idiom, I can find it in this dictionary 99% of the time without having to resort to an unabridged dictionary.

I love my New World Collegiate dictionary.

Note: This dictionary is thumb indexed and it benefits from having a dictionary software that runs with Windows XP or later over its previous version.

The Webster's New World College Dictionary is one that has by far the best roots and synonym studies of any Dictionary of the college level that I have seen. It gives Sanskrit roots which is often quite wonderful.

Practical Information:

- clear, readable definitions that provide instant understanding
- thousands of examples of current word usage
- more than 160,000 entries and over 800 illustrations, biographical photographs, and maps
- page and text redesigned for even greater readability
- the official dictionary of the Associated Press

Best, J-P G

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply, the best., August 7, 2002
D. R. Schryer (Poquoson, VA United States) - See all my reviews
There are lots of dictionaries available, and many of them call themselves "Webster's" -- it a generic name. But Webster's New World stands out from the rest. It's very much up to date and also very user friendly; you won't have to keep looking up definitions of definitions. Furthermore, it's authoritive. This is the dictionary chosen by many prestigious media organizations -- including the Associated Press, the Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times -- as their authority of choice. So if you want to get an up to date, easy to use dictionary that's widely-recognized as authoritive, look for the name Webster's New World.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dictionary on the Planet and a Great Deal!, May 13, 2007
Micky "Mack" (Salt Lake City, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
I love this dictionary. The software version even works with Word 2007 running under Vista. The dictionary has a space on the tool bar and I can access it while writing.

For less than 20 bucks, you get an excellent hard bound dictionary, and an excellent electronic dictionary. Best deal on Amazon as far as I'm concerned. I'd pop 20 bucks just for the electronic version.

5.0 out of 5 stars indispensable, August 11, 2005
i'm surprised at some of the complaints. i've found this to be one of the best dictionaries i've ever had. i previously bought and returned the merriam-webster dictionary because a lot of its definitions seemed old-fashioned or ill-aimed. the vast majority of entries i've found have spot-on defn's; it's particularly good at describing modern, american usage (in fact its stated emphasis is on "americanisms"). it also has the best etymology i've found anywhere, listing the PIE origins of most words.

nb the "pictures" that one reviewer complained about are a miniscule part of the space of the page; most pages have only one, and over 50% have none at all. many are actually maps or other useful diagrams (parts of a feather, a horse, the frame of a house, etc.).

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for translators - I love the CD, June 20, 2007
I translate documents into English from Portuguese and Spanish. This dictionary was highly recommended by a group of my colleagues. Quality writing in the target language is vital. For example, it's important to see what the cognate of the foreign language term really means in English. I hadn't paid much attention to my choice of English dictionaries except to buy a giant Random House unabridged, but this is much more useful AND the CD makes it so practical (although I'd probably benefit ergonomically from leaving the keyboard, picking up a hardbound book, and looking up a word!)

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful for word derivations, August 27, 2005
I purchased this particular dictionary to use in the study of Latin with my daughter because it was recommended as giving good information on word derivations. Every word I have looked up has indeed had good information on word derivations.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY nice!, June 20, 1999
By A Customer
This dictionary is the most helpful dictionary I've ever encountered. I use it so often it's getting rather worn. I've only found about 7 words that are not present in it. VERY helpful if you're taking advanced English courses & your teacher has a penchant for vocab tests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference work., August 12, 2005
I read a lot of reviews and evaluated our needs. Basically we wanted a good, all around dictionary that would be durable and pleasant to use. We put this on a dictionary stand and everyone in the family uses it often, yes, even the grandchildren. Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars good, January 3, 2007
Good resource to have. The computer program is very easy to use, helps with misspellings. Also includes a thesaurus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the American Heritage-College-Third Edition Too, December 24, 2001
This Webster's Fourth Edition-2001, has 1716 (two column) pages, an index, a highlighted synonym box under certain words, and no wasted space along the vertical margins. The dictionary is so "easy on the eyes" to read, that I eagerly anticipate having to look up a word.
The gray scale synonym text-boxes are printed (not more than) one to a column, which is just enough to give your eyes a reference-anchor as you scan. Their 50th anniversary revision (and most other dictionaries), are shrink-wrapped, so you won't know how reader-friendly this book is unless someone tells you. Use yellow highlighter to mark every word you look up, it's your book!. Chances are, you'll be looking up the same word again in the future.
However, when I looked up "haole" (non-native Hawai'ian), it wasn't in there. I found "haole" in American Heritage College-Third, so the result of my research now indicates that you need both dictionary's.

Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition (Book with CD-ROM)
Webster's New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition (Book with CD-ROM) by Victoria Neufeldt (Hardcover - April 23, 2004)
$26.95 $20.95