Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WeeRide Pro-Pilot Bicycle Trailer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 30, 2012
I never write reviews. This in all reality may be my very first one. But it is such an important review to give.

My 6 yr old daughter has Autism. We are a family of four. Daddy, Mommy, 8 yr old sister and 6 yr old. Our 8 year old daughter learned to ride without training wheels last fall and got a new bike for her birthday. We had wanted to go bike riding as a family. I got a new hybrid bike in March and got my husband a bike at the beginning of May.

Our 6 year old refused to learn to ride. REFUSED. She was terrified. So I researched and was going to buy the USA JR Bike Stabilizer Wheels sold here on Amazon, get her a 20 bike and attach those monster of stabilizers to it.

So first, we decided to use bribery as a inticement. She really wanted to paint her room a pretty princess color. So for two days, Daddy and I spent our time hunched over her old bike with regular training wheels. Other than sore shoulders and backs, what we learned was that she did not have all the skills necessary to ride a bike on her own. She could not steer, remember to pedal, deal with the sensory inputs, balance and not get distracted by her shadow or dust motes in the sun.....She just did not have the skill set yet. And add anxiety to that mix and it is a disaster.

Not to be outdone and wanting us to ride as a family, I went back to research and found this tandem hookup. Showed it to my husband and he instantly agreed to try it. Ordered it on Thursday night and had it shipped for Saturday delivery.

Our daughter was so excited to see it arrive Saturday morning. And that afternoon, it was attached to Daddy's bike and they took a turn around the block. She was very nervous but excited. So next morning, we were off to a small walking path. She kept yelling for Daddy to stop at first because she was scared. After a couple of stops, he just kept riding. Soon, I could hear "WHEEEEEEEEE" as he went around a corner. She did not pedal at first. On the ride back, I rode behind her reminding her to pedal by switching legs. What a sight and sound we were! LEFT! RIGHT! LEFT! RIGHT! Praisiing her all the way.

So Memorial Day weekend was our big test. We went to the Blackstone River Bike Path. As a family, we rode a total of 5 miles. She pedaled all the way, yelling "WHEEEE" and "Daddy, go FASTER!!!!" She was so happy. And so were we.

This is an awesome product. I have already contacted Kent International and ordered a bike hitch attachment for easy switching between my husband's bike and my bike.

If you have a child with a disability or just fear of riding on their own, this is a great product to get them used to the feel of biking, get the love of riding, get used to the sensory inputs and over their fears. I cannot recommend this enough!!!!
44 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2012
I read several reviews and chose this one for both price and above-average reviews. It exceeds my expectations. My 7 year old son is afraid to ride without training wheels, so I bought this with the hope of getting him past the fear. He's about 4 feet tall, but I had to lower the seat considerably from the high position because he couldn't touch the ground. We've now had the WeeRide Pro-Pilot Bicycle Tandem Trailer for about 24 hours and taken two bike rides on the sidewalk and on a paved path. It seems solid and so far no accidental spills. Here's a breakdown of our experience:

Day 1
- Bike arrived in 1 day because I wanted it for the weekend. The additional fee was negligible considering the weight of the bike and the next day delivery.
- box was mangled in shipping, but the bike was packed well and there were no loose parts
- This is one of those items you can put together with the kids "helping" and there's little fear of something getting lost or broken. An allen wrench and a multitool were included.
- Putting it together was self-explanatory and the hardest part was attaching the pedals because I was rotating them the wrong way. After 2 kids, you'd think I'd have a bike pedal figured out by now.
- the handlebar folds down on itself to make storing easier and it even balances itself on the handlebars for sitting it upright in the garage without a kickstand. Nice!
- I put everything together: handlebar, pedals, flag, opened it up to its full length and locked it in place.
- I held the mounting bracket up under my bike seat and then held the tandem trailer up to the mount to see how it mounted. The mounting bracket attaches with the angle pointing up, not down.
- Once mounted, trailer attached to bracket, and a quick safety check to ensure everything was snug, it was time to ride.
- First ride was smooth and I barely noticed my son was back there. I weigh 200 pounds more than him and he was probably a little scared, so I didn't expect him to impact my riding

Day 2
- attached 3 bikes and the Pro-Pilot trailer on my hitch-mounted bike rack (Allen Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (2-Inch Receiver)). No problems mounting it in the full-open position
- Took it on a paved path with several tight curves, a bumpy bridge, and even a couple of grassy adventures just for kicks. No problems with the bike tipping or anything
- Took it up to near full-speed (high gear on my bike, good steady pull) and no rattle or shimmying from the rear
- As my son got more comfortable, I had to remind him not to lean or jerk from side-to-side. I never felt out of control, just became aware that he was not paying attention. Again, your mileage may vary

Conclusion
Excellent tandem trailer and worth more than I paid!
on July 23, 2012
I had to go on a hunt to find the actual weight, instead of the "made of light weight aluminum" line. Even WeeRide's own site lists the weight of the Co-Pilot but not the Pro-Pilot. So I emailed the company directly. To save others the trouble, Ron B. of WeeRide told me via email that:

"The ProPilot weighs in around 2lbs lighter than the CoPilot - close to 22lbs."

Mystery solved!!
33 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2012
This product is of high quality. The attachment mechanism is sturdy and feels safe. We've used it ~10 times in the last 3 weeks on various roads in our neighborhood, including dirt bike trails and hills. My 4 year old son is still not tall enough to reach pedals at the lowest point, but is otherwise quite comfortable.

I have not used other kinds of trailer bikes, but all other brands / models cost much more - and I don't see what else you'd need.

For the money, it's almost worth 5 stars. Only 2 minor comments. 1) Yes the seat is not soft. No complains from the rider (yet) on up to 15 min trips. May be it does not bother kids as it would adults. 2) Tight turns make the seat of my bike rotate. This happens because of the built in limiters in the connector / joint. Turning too tight to the left or right will move the post of adult's bike correspondingly. It happens mostly when maneuvering the tandem out of the garage. Not a bad design: it's a needed safety feature. Only a bit too limiting, hence becomes a small nuisance, but easy to address when it happens.

For the future reference: the bike comes with a flag on a pole. It's not on the picture and I was wondering whether it's included.

I'd give it 4.5 stars. Recommended.
on January 28, 2013
I bought this little add on for my wife as a Christmas present. This was a very large box. The only things I had to install were the handlebars and the seat. All you have to do (at least for me) was to raise the seat on your adult bike and attach the trailer hitch with the included clamp and 4 screws. That was the hardest part and it took me all of 5 minutes. The WeeRide is then easily detachable after that. You just screw on the pedals, adjust a few screws to keep the seat and handlebars in place, air up the tire, and you're all set! both my kids (9 yr old and 5 yr old) are able to ride this thing without any problems. My 5 year old can't even ride by himself yet. There's a bit of a learning curve when your little one is shifting around on their seat, but other than that, it is a pretty smooth ride. Your child can help pedal or they can just rest their feet. My wife loved it. This was a great purchase. Oh, and this arrived VERY fast.

Sidenote: I had to remove the rear reflector on the adult bike for installation, but the WeeRide has one on the back. Definitely not a dealbreaker.
on August 9, 2012
This has been a great addition to our family liesure time. Our 4 year old son loves this product and we ride every day if not twice per day. It is a safe and well built bike with a great hitch mechanism and easily removed from the adult bike for solo riding by the adult. Get one of these and you will not regret it. This definatly is not for the average three year old as they would be to small to have their legs and arms reach the pedals and handle bars, but our 4 year old boy, of average size, can easily reach the pedals with the seat all the way lowered.
on November 5, 2012
When I saw this, it seemed like the ideal way to help my 5 year old son transition to a 2 wheeler. He has a horrible sense of balance (gravity is not his friend) but the excitement of riding the "really big bike" with daddy took most of the fear out it for him. Pros: A bit heavy but seems reasonably well built. Quick release on the seat great for easy height adjustment for growing legs. The folding mechanism helps save space when not in use. Cons: If not really cranked down, the quick release on universal joint that connects the trailer to the bike and/or the quick release on the folding mechanism will "clunk" while riding which is a bit disconcerting. The wheel also has to be perfectly aligned - any misalignment and the trailer will torque the seatpost on your bike causing it to rotate. It took a few rides to figure out why my saddle was ending up rotated to the 1 o'clock position.
on August 2, 2012
We live in a small town neighborhood and like to take bike rides but weren't comfortable with our five year old just riding her own bike across streets and downtown. This is a good alternative to a trailer where the child sits because the five year old actually pedals and can get some exercise and have fun, but she's still safe. A lot of people in our neighborhood have more expensive models from the sporting goods store but ours seems to work just as well and is less expensive. This is attached to my husband's bike, so I've never pulled it, but my husband says she gets more motion on the back of this bike than she does on her regular bike with training wheels, so we think it will help her to transition to no-training wheels on her own bike down the road.
on October 23, 2014
This is such a great bike! My son graduated from the Burley trailer to this at age 4 (when my second child was born). He loves to ride along behind Dad and actually contributes! His first 10 mile bike ride, his legs were super jelly/tired afterwards.
on February 2, 2012
When my son was old enough to ride along, but couldnt keep up with his bike, I purchased this to make our lifes easier!

The fit and finish on the bike is acceptable. The mechanics of it are decent. The post that attaches to your bike is somewhat stiff and hard to couple to the trailer bike. I took a sander to mine and removed any rough areas, and its great now. I did turn the handlebars around so that my son didnt have to bend over so far to reach them while riding.

Well worth the $$$ paid!