4.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection of island sounds
Published on March 28, 2005 by Mitch Aunger

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many birds for me...
Published on June 26, 2012 by D. Gardner

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection of island sounds, March 28, 2005
This is indeed a great disc - as long as you aren't a fanatic and listen to it thru headphones. I bought it many years ago on CD - probably when it first came out and listened to it often. Then I started listening to it on headphones and discovered that in the first 20 minutes or so, if you listen very carefully, there's the sound of someone mowing the grass. At first I thought it was probably just some neighbor down the street and then I paused the CD and low and behold, the mowing stopped. It indeed is on the CD.

I recently loaded this on to my iPod to listen to at the office while I work and re-discovered the lawn mower.

Now, don't get me wrong - that wouldn't prevent me from buying this because in these modern days, it is probably very hard to get rid of any and all human sounds. In fact, the sound of the lawn mower is indeed part of my "warm and fuzzy" thoughts - it reminds me of warm afternoons in my own back yard - tho it may not be the thing you want on a CD of sounds from Hawaii.

You may not even hear the mowing unless you're listening closely on headphones - so if you intend to listen via speakers, don't let the very quiet, far-off lawn mower prevent you from enjoying this disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite CDs, February 25, 2002
Living in the dry desert of Arizona means there are few birds singing during the hottest days of the summer. When I long for the fresh cool of spring, I pop in this CD to hear winds moving quietly through dense forests and birds chirping and singing in the early morning. One can almost hear the ocean, only a mile away. The digital recording is immaculate and realistic; it's a great background for reading or visiting with friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, February 15, 2000
Devin (Meade, KS USA) - See all my reviews
I liked it alot. The reason I didn't give it five stars was because a certain bird kept chirping in that I didn't like the sound of. Otherwise it was pretty well rounded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Island Jungle, just what it says..., August 13, 2005
Kay F Gibbs (Chapel Hill, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I finally bought it. The five stars still stands. This thing is wonderful in the bathroom while showering or bathing. If you are showering it sounds like you're under a waterfall. What a way to relax. I love it. It is a high quality recording.

I sampled this cd in my local store recently, via headphones, I did not notice any lawn mowing sounds and I can often pick up the subliminal sounds on some subliminal cds. It is my understanding that all of these cds are recorded on location. I have Summer Rain, A Day on Cape Cod from the Atmosphere Collection and I love it. No intrusive sounds on that cd either. It is very relaxing and I found Island Jungle to be very calming as well. I have several other natural sounds cds but none compare to these collections from RYKO. You will not find a lot of hissing, wind blowing, unless it is suppose to be there, or any other intrusive distracting noise. I would suggest these to anyone looking for something relaxing or mood altering and I am particular about suggesting anything to anyone, as everyone's tastes are not the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many birds for me..., June 26, 2012
D. Gardner (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week In Hawaii: Island Jungle (MP3 Music)
I thought this would be more rain. It seems to be nearly all birds chirping, of a variety of species. There's just a bit of rain, surf, or wind in the background, but not much. I was unable to relax while listening. Currently my favorites for relaxation are Thunderstorm (Album Version), A Week In Hawaii: Midnight Rainshower, and Timberwolf Environment (Album Version). I've had all three for some time and love them! I have five Atmosphere collection albums and recording quality is excellent on all of them. I'm about to try one from the "A Day on Cape Cod" series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Single theme and single track, April 4, 2012
Each of the Ryko The Atmosphere Collection discs (Day Cape Cod, Week Hawaii, Month Brazilian) has a single theme which continues for the whole 60 minutes. After you have heard the first raindrop, splash, or wave, just remember there is a whole hour of the same to come with only very slight variations. You cant jump forward because there are no tracks or index points.

The signal to noise ratio, the sharp stereo imaging, and the full-range frequency response deliver very high quality recordings of authentic on-location sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Island Jungle CD (purchased used from seller via Amazon), March 5, 2012
CD arrived promptly. Was well packed. CD was in excellent condition as described. Very pleased with the product. Enjoyed listening to a small sampling of CD before buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice - I feel like I'm on vacation, May 15, 2011
Mark Riddle (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I purchased this CD to use the sound effects as a backdrop for my podcast. it has just the right amount of tropical birds in the foreground and the rest of the jungle noise (rain, insects, etc) in the background. It really lends a nice tropical feel. I also plan on using this as a sound backdrop for a tiki party I will be having in my house soon. It should help my guests feel like they are in the tropics while they sip mai tais.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great background noise in winter!, February 4, 2009
This CD is fantastic background noise during the winter. The production is excellent, with varied bird calls. This CD is not the best CD to use for napping, sleeping or meditating, since it does have some loud, sharper bird calls that would be distracting if you are meditating. However, they are perfect for listening around the house. I enjoy the unusual loud calls and find this CD more interesting than other bird call CD's I own where the birds all sound the same. As long as you don't turn it on while napping, you will be pleased.

A Week In Hawaii: Island Jungle