4.0 out of 5 stars Knit, read and enjoy!
Published on October 29, 2003 by Kathy M

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty pictures but poor instructions
Published on March 8, 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Knit, read and enjoy!, October 29, 2003
Kathy M (Cumberland, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book two weeks ago. This is not only a good knitting book it is also a good reading book. With the holidays approaching this is an excellent book for a few homemade gifts that work up quickly. So far I have made six pair of the Super Mittens with another pair on the needles. A pair can be made in a day. The butter cookie recipe is good with many variations (just like the knitting patterns). There are also wonderful knitting suggestions for decorating with yarn as well as suggestions for knitting gifts. The only complaint (if one could call it that) is the yardage on the Super Mittens. It calls for 75 yards for all sizes but I found it takes approximately 95-125 yards for the sizes woman's S-man's L. Otherwise it is an excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect knitting book, July 8, 2004
Ara Jane Olufson (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
i adore this book. i'm a relatively experienced knitter and i've had no problems with any of the patterns so far. i've knit several of the flower washcloths, some turtleneck egg cozies, the super mittens, the felted stash accessories bag, and am currently in the midst of knitting the union square poncho. and i'll probably use this excellent book for many of the other patterns. i think the instructions are quite clear, especially the notes included in each pattern that explain any difficult parts of the project. also, as many other reviewers have noted, the pictures are quite beautiful. it's the perfect book for us younger(ish) knitters who want simple and hip (but not too hip) patterns--with a great range in level of difficulty--that inspire us to knit more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty pictures but poor instructions, March 8, 2004
By A Customer
I am an experienced knitter and was very excited about getting this book as a gift. The pictures are beautiful and there were several projects that looked challenging enough for me to learn a few new things. I started by making the gloves. After getting confused by the instructions and having to rip out the first glove several times I consulted other patterns and found several errors in this book. In order to finish these I had to completely revise the pattern and ignore the book. Even after this I felt that one bad pattern wasn't worth dismissing the entire book, so I tried the brioche scarf. Once again the pattern was confusing and I had to chart my own waters to complete the scarf. Unless you are using the book merely as inspiration to develop your own projects I would not recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Knews from knew knitter, October 9, 2005
This was the first knitting book I bought, and the flower washcloth the second pattern I ever knitted. I taught myself to knit with a DVD I bought (with the first pattern). I tend to jump into things quickly and learn the best I can as I go along, but unless you're a quick study, this should NOT be the first knitting book you pick up. There were so many wonderful patterns in it that I couldn't resist, but if this is the only knitting book you've ever read, you get the impression that all knitters have unlimited money to spend on their knitting (I calculated--knitting the cashmere sweater will run you about $600 at least), can knit at the speed of light, and are extensively knowledgeable about every yarn in the world.

Nevertheless, the book did force me to grow into a pretty good knitter in an extremely short space of time. I also learned about the folly of substituting yarns without testing and careful reading. I have made several of the flower washcloths--they make simply wonderful gifts, no matter what age or gender you are--the berkshire sweater, which was sort of a disaster because I changed both needles and yarn and basically doubled the numbers in the pattern (it's wearable but sort of strange-looking), the pillow, with a cheap cotton instead of silk/cashmere (!) as suggested, the lap blanket, the mohair camisole, and a few pairs of the fingerless mitts.

The book is good if, like I said, you have unlimited time and money to spend on knitting, or are a good substituter, and if you like the unique projects in the book. Some of the projects seem unnecessarily complicated (brioche in the round? for an ordinary hat?), and some are just silly (a hemp cardigan? for a baby?), but it has lovely pictures, and if you knit the projects correctly, they come out exactly as picture-perfect as the ones in the photos.

-Six-month knitter

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to make you crazy, in a good way., December 11, 2004
I can't stop looking at this book, I love it. However, when I tried to make the lopi scarf I had to use needles three sizes bigger than they indicated. When I was asking a question about the pattern at my very hip knitting store in Portland, Oregon the whole store got into a disscussion about this book. Everyone had problems with the patterns, the pancho turned out huge and with tons of yarn left over, a very experienced knitter couldn't figure out the brioche hat. At least I feel better now about my struggle with the silly lopi scarf! In spite of the problems with the patterns, I do recommend the book. It is beautifully done, and a great inspiration for projects, but be prepared to improvise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and inspiring knitting, November 9, 2004
mstigger5 (Roseville, CA USA) - See all my reviews
When I read some of the reviews for this book, I had second thoughts about purchasing it. I am so glad that I did. Looking through the book at the photographs and the patterns is an inspiration. I have only tried out a few of the patterns (Union square poncho, Lopi lace scarf, and the chunky knit mittens) and had no problems. What I also enjoyed in addition to the patterns and photos were the bits of information, such as the recipes, books with knitting, etc. If this is your first pattern book, don't be surprised if you need to use a reference book. I have been knitting for 5+ years and still need to use a reference book at times. This is a fun book and I would recommend this to knitters of all levels of experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Be Amazed, May 8, 2006
This book is filled with easy weekend knits that cover the gamut. Sometimes with these sorts of books there are a load of scarves, gloves, socks and hats. Not with this book. It has simple sweaters, ponchos, and home wears (and of course some gloves, socks, and hats). Most of the patterns are also timeless classics.

The instructions are easy to read and follow (even for a novice). The book has lovely pictures that show you the end product from many different angles. The descriptions of non-standard stitches are amazingly clear. You'll find yourself referencing this book whenever you need a quick gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book full of good patterns, March 18, 2005
K. Hansen (Columbia, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This book is full of patterns for beautiful objects, including wearables such as shawls and scarves, home decor items, and other whimsical items such as miniature sweater egg cozies (I think they'd make good Christmas ornaments) and a complete barnyard of finger puppets. But this book is more than patterns -- there are also ideas for creating a relaxing weekend, including recipes for butter cookies, decadent hot chocolate, movie ideas, and ways to soothe tired hands. The photographs are beautiful and really contribute to the book's serene and restful theme.

Some of the other reviewers have noted that this is not a book for beginners, and many of the patterns do require an intermediate skill level. But several, including a couple of the sweaters, scarves, and other objects, are easily doable for beginning knitters. Yes, most of them will take more than a weekend to make. But the finished objects are worth it, so even if you are a beginner, just save the more intermediate projects until you are up to trying them out!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, January 19, 2004
GF (Washington USA) - See all my reviews
I love anything by Melanie Falick. This book has FANTATIC ideas with beautiful imagery. I have had her,"Kids Knittitng"(great for kids and adults), book for a while and this one is such a great addition. These aren't your grandmothers patterns. My kids beg me for these mittens, hats, etc. It's a book that gets you excited about knitting. A must have. You may want to put it out on you coffee table in between projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars New knitter -- NO PROBLEM!, August 21, 2004
I just wanted to say a word of encouragement for any new knitter who may want to buy this book... my 3rd project ever, really, was one of those itty-bitty sweater egg warmers. It actually taught me sooo much, that my very next project was a full size sweater for my husband! I am also in the process of making the georgous Felted Market Bag... this book was the first knitting pattern book I purchased, and it so inspired me, and I found the instructions fine. Anytime I got confused or needed clarification, I usually consulted one of my "how-to" books, like Vogue Knitting. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK!