5.0 out of 5 stars Weeknight Paleo Rocks
Published on August 1, 2012 by Tim S Huntley

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price
I was really disappointed in this cookbook. Really not much there for the high price. I have quite a few other Paleo cookbooks that are so much better and have way more recipes, beautiful pictures for each recipe, and tons of info. I'm returning this book, its about $10 to $15 overpriced.
Published 21 months ago by Kate G

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Weeknight Paleo Rocks, August 1, 2012
Tim S Huntley (Chapel Hill, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weeknight Paleo: 9 Weeks of Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Meals (Paperback)
For those of you that view food preparation as less of an art form and more as a means to tasty nutrition, Amber Beam's Weeknight Paleo is for you. It is simply outstanding - it is outstanding because Amber has focused her attention on helping the reader solve the common problem of how to quickly and simply put great Paleo food on the table night after night. With an eye towards thriftiness, Amber has created recipes that are perfect for everyday and enjoyable by the entire family.

Recipes are organized as 4 dinners per week over a total of 9 weeks with a shopping list provided at the start of each section. And each recipe has an amazing photograph of the complete dish - for me this is a must-have as the visualization helps me know if I am arriving at the correct preparation destination.

This cookbook definitely hits the mark and I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full recipe listing here: great Paleo cookbook for everyday (fast) eating, March 22, 2013
At this point, I have a lot of Paleo cookbooks, most of which feature a huge number of exactly the same recipes as all of the other cookbooks. I mean, how many frittata recipes do I really need?

But I really liked the premise of this book, that weeknight dinners don't have to be a big pain to prepare. That's been one of the most difficult parts about eating healthy for me, is that sometimes I simply don't feel like I have the time to create multiple dishes when I'm already arriving home late and hungry.

Many of the recipes rely on using leftovers from the night before to have a shortcut in the evening's dinner prep, while still feeling like you're eating something new and fresh. I love this idea, since this is how so many of us actually cook. We have a little bit of leftover something, and we combine it with some new foods to have a totally different meal even though we're eating leftovers.

The author does a number of things really well. Her presentation is spectacular, and she manages to make a number of dishes with familiar ingredients seem unusual and exciting just through the way she stacks or chops the ingredients. For example, the carnitas-style taco tower combines avocado cream, leftover pulled pork, and coleslaw into an adorable circular tower which makes it feel like a gourmet feast.

Then, there's the Asian five spice chicken with matchsticks salad. While putting a spice crust on some chicken and having it with vegetables on the side would seem like a pretty boring meal, the fact that she cut the salad into matchsticks and provided a fun recipe for homemade Paleo Szechuan sauce made the whole thing come together and seem like a truly exciting feast.

I also adored her creativity on the open faced steak sammich with bacon and caramelized onions. My first thought when reading the recipe title was that anything called a sandwich better have a bun of some kind. I am so tired of people telling me I ought to be happy eating my burger or sandwich ingredients plain on a plate. I mean, I do eat plain burgers all the time, but that's hardly something you need a recipe book for. However, the author didn't disappoint, and she set her delicious looking steak sandwich on a bed of celery root. How creative is that? Once she topped it with delicious steak strips sautéed in a balsamic glaze and topped it with bacon, I can't imagine any Paleo eater who wouldn't be excited to dig in.

I also love how the author states the active prep time, and active cook time (such as for marinading) and the cook time so that you can really figure out what you have the patience and time for that evening. If you're a savvy cook and have all the ingredients handy, I think that her prep and cook estimates are fairly accurate.

The book is divided into a series of weeks, so that you can have an easy meal plan, if desired, for nine weeks of dinner. I personally don't like to use meal plans, and prefer just knowing that I can flip through the book and choose whatever sounds good on any given night. However, I know many people pay for Paleo meal plans to be emailed to them, and if that's you, I think that this book would be an excellent investment. I can't imagine tiring of the simple yet innovative and delicious foods the author presents. The book is also packed full of photographs, so I felt I could see as well as read about the results of every meal.

Here's a full listing of all of the recipes in the book, so you can decide for yourself whether this cookbook might be good for you.

Week One:
slow cooker pulled pork with stellar sweet potato home fries
carnitas style taco tower
Asian five spice chicken with matchsticks salad
Herbs de Provence crusted salmon with a citrus herb sauce and asparagus

Week Two:
Tuscan steak with roasted root vegetables
open faced steak sandwich with bacon and caramelized onions and roasted red pepper and tomato soup
dill-icious shrimp
citronette grilled chicken salad with apples and walnuts

Week Three:
herb crusted pork tenderloin with apple cider sauce and apple celery root hash
sweet-and-sour pork
spinach stuffed chicken and balsamic glazed brussels sprouts
prosciutto wrapped tilapia with asparagus and green beans with tarragon lemon dip

Week Four:
spaghetti and meatballs sauce
eggplant Napoleon and garden salad with tomato basil vinaigrette
Buffalo bites and Paleo tater wedges with chipotle mayo, bacon, and scallions
Thai pork meatballs with carrots and currents salad

Week Five:
slow cooker chicken mole with crunchy radish and that pepitas salad with cilantro lime vinaigrette
chicken mole chili rellanos
Andouille sausage with ratatouille
25 minute meatloaf with honey butternut squash purée

Week Six:
perfectly seared surf and turf with creamy cauliflower purée
spicy steak stirfry
Asian chicken soup with Napa cabbage and bok choy
macadamia crusted mahi-mahi with updated green bean salad

Week Seven:
fiery grilled tuna with jicama and avocado salad
Mediterranean tuna salad
fusion lasagna
Cajun pork burgers with paprika mayo and broccoli salad

Week Eight:
not another Greek salad, grilled Greek chicken and roasted stuffed tomatoes
chorizo fajitas with citrus marinated red onions
lime in the coconut curry chicken and bacony braised kale
spicy sloppy Joe's and citrus twist broccoli

Week Nine:
chicken in a tarragon mustard sauce and wild mushroom sauté
French chicken salad stack
Greek turkey burger with tomato gratin
Paleo paella

Overall, you can see there's a great variety in terms of the meats and vegetables chosen, the ethnic inspirations for each meal, and the different flavors she offers up in every given week. I also loved that this can be used by gluten-free eaters, Paleo eaters, or people avoiding specific foods such as grains or dairy. Because the people in my family all have different tastes and needs, it's great to know that I can pick anything out of this cookbook and everybody can eat it. Many of the foods are even Whole 30 compliant, in case you're doing a Whole 30. You can always eliminate the sauces or just remove the sugar from any recipes which contain it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Cool Things About Weeknight Paleo, October 25, 2012
Full disclosure: I wrote the foreword for Amber's book because I think she and her book are pretty terrific.

1. Amber is a paleo devotee, but not the food police.
In her introduction, Amber shares that she strives for 95% compliance with her paleo habits and spends lots of time in the 85% area. That's real life and real success. In her first 30 days of eating paleo, she lost 10 pounds, reduced her acid reflux, slept soundly, and got compliments from strangers on her glowing skin.

2. Think bistro food!
Get a load of these recipes: Eggplant Napoleon, Fusion Lasagna (looks like lasanga, tastes like a burrito!), Thai Pork Meatballs, Chorizo Fajitas, and Chicken in Tarragon Mustard Sauce. It's the imagination and flavor of restaurant food, except it tastes even better and it's 100% paleo.

3. Enjoy the genius of This, Then That.
Amber's included instructions for how to turn one ingredient into two distinct meals. As she explains, "What starts in the refrigerator as four steaks becomes Surf and Turf the first night and Spicy Steak Stir Fry later in the week." I have no problem eating the same thing for days (weeks?) on end, but I know most people go bonkers eating the same old-same old, so This, Then That is a neat trick for appeasing kids, significant others, and roommates that complain about boring leftovers.

4. Boredom buster: There are nine weeks of meal ideas.
Speaking of slaying boredom... the book is arranged around menu and shopping plans that mean you can eat nine weeks of dinners without any repeats. Nine weeks! And the recipes are arranged to help you take advantage of time- and energy-saving ideas like This, Then That and Quick Cooking Meals that can go from ingredients to dinner in under 30 minutes.

5. Stay organized with comprehensive shopping lists and make-ahead tricks.
Each week of recipes begins with tips for the "Make Ahead" schedule that will save you time in the kitchen, along with a comprehensive shopping list so you have everything you need to feed yourself and your favorite dining companions. There's also a handy section in the front of the book with tips for stocking your pantry, as well as "Flavor Boosters" -- like Paleo House Seasoning -- so when you have to wing it, you're prepared.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real-world Paleo -- makes me look like a much better cook than I actually am, November 18, 2012
oregano55 (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
You never know when you buy a new cookbook. Some of then look good but sit on a shelf, while others go into heavy rotation. After trying out two of the recipes here -- the Surf and Turf dinner and Slow Cooker Chicken Mole -- I'm a convert! I'll be trying the Paella recipe next. LOVE the weekly plans and the suggestions for using what you cook one night for two or more meals. I kind of bought it on a whim, not knowing much about the author, but I'm glad I did. Definitely a keeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good cookbook but I think overpriced, January 13, 2013
I think this is a decent cookbook, we've made several recipes out of it so far, but it's definitely overpriced. If you don't have a large paleo cookbook library their are better more affordable books I would recommend buying first. But if you already have several books and you're just looking for something new this does have decent recipes, it's just pretty small for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have Paleo cookbook!, December 30, 2012
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this book. I purchased it in an effort to get some new innovative recipe ideas for my Paleo lifestyle. As soon as I opened the package and flipped through the pages, I knew this was a keeper. The recipes look (and sound) delicious and I greatly appreciate the double duty use of certain ingredients so that I can create two distinct meals from one core recipe. Thus far I have tried the Slow Cooker pulled pork, sweet potato home fries, carnitas-style taco tower, asian five-spice chicken, Thai pork meatballs with carrots and currants salad, and the sausage ratatouille. All have been so tasty and even my husband has gone back for seconds...and thirds. I am also obsessed with the Paleo savy spice that I find myself putting on everything. Other Paleo cookbooks I have explore more international flavors, but I really like the foods prepared here. I also love how each recipe is a complete meal. Thanks Amber for taking the guess work out for me. I hope more people stumble upon this book because I truly feel it is a must have for any Paleo lifestyle. I look forward to cooking my way through Weeknight Paleo. Thank you Amber for inspiring me to get in the kitchen and lose myself in cooking for those I love. I feel that I can succeed at this lifestyle with your book in my corner :)

5.0 out of 5 stars My guests are soooo IMPRESSED!, July 30, 2013
I love this book. I am a cook who has a hard time sticking to recipes. I scan the ingredients, look at pictures for inspiration, then go on my merry way! This book is so inspiring! I made the Carnitas Taco Tower for some non-paleo guests and they loved it! It is a regular meal now, I love it so much! I love the idea of the stacks too. A whole new way of eating has opened up for me! A good thing when you are not using bread & tortillas.... this makes a paleo transition so much less painful. Great pictures! Great ingredients! All a non-recipe-following cook like me can ask for!

4.0 out of 5 stars Weeknight doesn't include Fridays, July 30, 2013
The meals here are tasty & relatively easy. I like how the book is laid out too since I appreciate weekly shopping lists. My only real reason for not giving it a 5 is that some of the "easy" ingredients are hard to find without processed fillers. Most of the easy/iffy ingredients are store bought sauces & almost all of them have tons of added sugar, soy or wheat in them. Maybe the author can find truly paleo options but I couldn't and since I'm sensitive to wheat and soy, I had to skip these items since replacements weren't always easy to come by. Also, this meal plan includes meals for Monday through Thursday. For whatever reasons, it bugs me that Friday's meal isn't included but maybe that's just me gripping.

Overall, this is a really good every day cookbook and I use it pretty regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bumping it up a star, July 25, 2013
I've made several recipes in this delightful little book: Greek turkey burger, tomato gratin, spicy sloppy joes, citrus twist broccoli, grilled Greek chicken, roasted-stuffed tomatoes. Each dish was easy to prepare and flavorful. I was pleased to find a recipe for Paleo yogurt sauce, and I enjoyed it so much that I made another batch to accompany the grilled Greek chicken.
I own a few Paleo cookbooks, and I really like that Ms. Beam has created some unique Paleo recipes such as Andouille sausage with ratatouille and eggplant Napoleon and hasn't given me yet another recipe for plain and boring grilled chicken.

ETA: This has been my go to cookbook for the past few weeks, and I've yet to be disappointed. The prosciutto wrapped tilapia was divine, the pulled pork was delicious, and the Thai meatballs disappeared in minutes.

I highly recommend this cookbook: the recipes are easy to follow and the results are delicious. I haven't had to make additions or subtractions to any of the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes are yummy, May 23, 2013
Holly Davis Burns (Colorado Springs, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
Every recipe that I have made so far has been wonderful! I'm going to by a copy for my daughter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Weeknight Paleo: 9 Weeks of Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Meals
Weeknight Paleo: 9 Weeks of Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Meals by Amber Beam (Paperback - July 17, 2012)
$29.99 $26.99