Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on August 22, 2011
This book is a helpful guide to working the upper body. It is an easy program to adopt, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere, so travelling need not interrupt your fitness regimen. Many hotel gyms suck, and this is a reasonable alternative to weights and machines.
My experience may help, 57 year old male of average fitness. I did 25 push ups to establish a base line, so I went to the Advance 1 program. The last set on Friday is really hard, so it is probably the correct level of effort. The warm ups make a difference, it easier for me, when I stretch before the sets. Not sure that this program does much for abs or glutes, as claimed on the cover, they never feel 'worked' post the work out.
Entering Week 4 I have lost 4 lbs and definitely gained some strength. I will go for a run, or do a leg workout, on the off days, but have not done any upper body exercises since starting. I could care less about acheiving 100, it is simply a target, if I get there, that will be great, if not, it remains a successful program. I am enjoying doing more push ups than I ever thought possible and have seen positive changes in the pecs and shoulders and I like the simplicity and purity of the movements.
The book is slight, some padding about world record holders and the like. These serve to make doing merely 100 seem pretty pathetic, so not sure that this section helps. The core of the book is the charting, and it seems to work and be easy. So I recommend it, include a run and a couple of Tabata routines on the off days and you will be fitter and stronger without spending a lot of time or money.
Update, completed the program, never did manage 100 straight off, certainly can do well over 100 with short breaks < 1 minute. Certainly feel it was worthwhile pursuing and have several colleagues who have started the program and also seen very positive results
on June 29, 2011
I'm not being critical of the book, even though I did not make it to the magical 100 milestone in the prescribed time.
A bit of background: when I started the pushup program last year, I was a 61-year old male, 6'1", 185 lbs., in good shape. I had always wanted to make it to 100 pushups (and 25 pullups) but for many years I lifted weights and did not bother doing high reps in any exercise. As a result, I think my entire body lacked in the area of endurance. For example, when I was lifting heavy--at least, for me--in my thirties, I think I did a single rep parallel bar dip with 200 lbs attached. Yet I could never do more than 25 dips, no matter how "strong" I got.
As I got older I began to cut back on the heavy lifting for two reasons: necessity (really, no choice here, as you age you just can't lift as much) and safety (why get hurt going for a heavy single on anything?). I realized the importance of cardiological fitness and endurance for a geezer like me, so that is why I was attracted to Speir's pushup program.
I think I did 27 pushups when I did the initial test, which determines where you should begin your program. Over the next seven weeks, I did hundreds and hundreds of pushups, and it truly was a wonderful feeling to see those numbers going up. I knew I was increasing endurance when I found myself doing 40 or 50 on my third and fourth set, compared to the 27 I did when fully rested for the original test. I adhered to the one minute rest periods for all sets. My pushup form was fairly strict, but I was really cranking them out to get as many done in as short a time as possible. By the time week seven rolled around, I thought I had a decent shot at 100; I figured I would at least be able to get to 75 or 80. Alas, I only got to 66 before I completely and utterly conked out.
Why didn't I make it to 100? I think it was several things: not taking enough rest between sets (Speirs tells you to take longer rest periods if you need to), not strict enough form (if you really crank at speed, maybe you are not enabling your body to build basic strength) and age (I hate to bring that up again, but an old dude like me just doesn't bounce back as quickly).
I'm not discouraged. I'm going to do the program again, and this time I will take two minutes between sets, and I might even wait two days between workouts, rather than the recommended single day. I will also do my reps more slowly and with more control. I will take longer to do the program--maybe ten weeks rather than seven.
The pushup is a great exercise because it can be done anywhere, requires no equipment, is safe to perform, and builds great upper body strength. Combine it with the pullup (see Speirs' 50 pullup book, highly recommended) and you will be pushing on one day and pulling the next, and will have your upper body covered, with no gym memberships or equipment to buy.
Getting fit and strong should not be complicated or expensive. Thank you, Steve Speirs.
on September 20, 2010
I've always done a variety of exercise programs and have found this one helps keep me on track. Not only am I consistently doing the hundred pushups program as spelled out on the website, but I'm more motivated to do my other fitness activities on the other days. It's nice to have everything all laid out for me, with real numbers and goals to focus on. Having those numbers help push me past the point where I may think I'm "exhausted." Three weeks ago, I maxed out on a single set of 17 pushups. Today I maxed out at 34 pushups, and that's after doing sets of 21, 25, 21, and 21 pushups. Obviously, the program works much better than if I had simply told myself to do as many as possible each day.

I started this program from the website before purchasing the book. Be forewarned that the workouts in the book don't seem to match up with the website (hence, my reason for 4 stars instead of 5). But, don't let that deter you. Stick with the book's workout or the website's workout, one or the other. I like the website because you can log your progress and even post it on Facebook if you want. Even though I'm following the website's pushups program, I'm still glad I got the book, which complements the website with motivational reading material and everything you ever wanted to know about pushups.

The hundred pushups book is inexpensive and well worth it. However, if you really want to be cheap about it, just go to the website and do the workout for free. I'm glad I bought this inexpensive book to help support the work that the author has put into developing a fine, effective exercise program.
on October 17, 2009
I like this book quite a bit, and have been able to make very good gains. However, I was only able to keep up with the numbers for about halfway through the program--I'm still working at it after eight weeks!
on July 11, 2010
Fantastic book. Inspirational and easy to follow. I'm 57 years old, recently had shoulder surgery (right) and wrist surgery (left), but find that I can still do the program (week 3 day 3). I especially like the emphasis on warm-up and stretching to help prevent injuries. My daughter and one of her friends are also doing the program.

4 stars instead of 5 only for two reasons: 1. neither the website nor related iPhone application use the same program as the book. This is confusing and unhelpful. Is the book more current or the website/iPhone ap? 2. The book fails to tell you how to test yourself once you have completed the 7-week program. This information is easy to find on the website, but it is a strange oversight.
This workout program is simple yet not easy. Simple in that it requires no gym membership, tons of equipment and other non essential cumbersome bs. NOTE: Dont get the Kindle version as the formatting is all jacked up.

This program will get you in the best shape of your life. The book is outlined to take you from where you are now to the 100 pushup goal. The workouts are very well balanced and don't feel like a chore to do, so you wont be dreading it.
The book is setup so you should be at 100 pushups at day 48. I was able to beat that by a few days as I do pushups in my business.

You can still follow the program even after you reach the goal of 100, so its not like one of those things that get you there and then OK YOURE DONE.

Pushups are a great thing for your core and extremities. Could be the perfect exercise. I highly recommend this book. Even if you dont reach your goal of 100 whats the worst that could happen: Youre still in better shape and look and feel better.
on September 22, 2011
This is a back-to-basics book which is very approachable for the beginner who wants to get fit but can't find the time to go to the gym or the money to invest in equipment.

The writing is clear, concise and very helpful and the training programme is well thought-out. The only missing link is your commitment to the progamme. But really, it doesn't take a lot of time to follow through the programmes.
on September 13, 2009
this a great books for all ages, i am 56 years old and because of the book i can do more push ups now then when i was 21 years old, im am also stronger now and i feel better. i am glad i got it.
on June 20, 2013
I may not be able to 100 pushups yet, but, today, at age 51, I did 59 for my Navy physical readiness test, which earned me 90 points and a rating of outstanding. I'll get 100 points if I do 64, and I'll aim for that in the fall. Using this book, I've learned to do pushups correctly, with my arms close to my side, which works my back and triceps. I'm glad that I bought a copy.
on May 19, 2013
I made a lot of progress trying to follow the plan, but I didn't make the goal of 100 consecutive push ups in 7 weeks. At age 52, the plan may be too aggressive for me. I can do over 50 good push ups now, about double where I started. I am backing up to week 4 and trying again.