Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Weepy the Dragon
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$0.99

on June 25, 2012
I've got mixed feelings on this one. My kids loved the pictures, and were excited by a story about a dragon. Still, Weepy's dad comes off as very mean and Weepy leaves home. While he ends off finding happiness, my young kids were troubled by the angry dad and a young dragon never seeing his family again. The pictures were great, but I was reading this on a Kindle and the pictures and text weren't on the same page. My kids kept wanting to skip to the picture before I finished reading the text.
44 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2014
This book shows kids you cant always judge a book or rather
a dragon by its cover. It also shows how cruel words can harm even a dragon whose only fault is being good and kind. Weepy is determined to try and be a dragon like the rest but in the end Weepy wins and is shown he can be liked for who he is and just the way he is.
on February 23, 2016
Sweet story. Weepy finds a home where he is accepted. I enjoyed the imagery and it's an easy-enough plot to follow for young children. I do wish some type of tolerance or acceptance was found in Weepy's homeland (a relative or a friend who could see some value in Weepy). Even in negative situations, there is usually some glimmer of hope there.
on October 27, 2014
The illustrations in this picture book are absolutely wonderful. Weepy, the dragon, is an endearing character. Jones effectively demonstrates the little dragon’s dilemma.

The theme is be yourself and find people who appreciate you as you are. The author, Hebert, effectively uses the structure of three to tell Weepy’s story.

There are a few spots where the language blogs down. It would benefit from some pruning. Excessive wordiness slows down the pace.

Children can identify with the main character and would care deeply for him. Since the dragon was repeatedly called a coward, I was hoping he would show courage in an unexpected way.

This is an enjoyable story (though not very original) which will generate good discussion.
on May 24, 2013
My 4 year old loved this story and we talked about emotions & how or words and actions.make others feel :)
on June 25, 2012
"Get away from me!" Weepy's father yelled. "You'll never be like a dragon. You're a coward!" --- And I'll note that it comes out of nowhere on a page all by itself...

I'm sorry to disappoint you folks that have given this book 5 stars, but I must advise parents to read this book before either reading it to their children or giving it to a child to read. The overall story is entertaining and could be considered uplifting if it were not for the brief and cruel interaction between Weepy and his father. If it weren't for that, the other situations would all create opportunities for dialog with children and allow for healthy and constructive lessons.

Sure life can be tough, and I don't believe that shielding children from all of life's pain is advisable, or even possible, but I do believe that unless the text is purpose written for dealing with special circumstances (and by that I mean something written by a child psychologist for the specific purpose of dealing with childhood trauma), no benefit can come from reading that sort of scenario to a child. The young mind isn't going to be uplifted or inspired by a story that features the protagonist being cast out by a parent in such a hurtful and abrupt manner. The most important "lesson" the young mind is going to retain is the "reality" that a failure on their part might end with the total withdrawal of love, and ostracism, by their parent(s). That is most certainly not a scenario or conversation that I would willingly introduce my children to.
on February 9, 2015
The first thing that attracted me to this book was the illustrations. My kids loved them as well which helped them become interested in learning more. There is a lot of sadness as other dragons, including Weepy's father, could not accept his differences from the traditional dragon personality. Weepy tries hard to be accepted that he kept practicing and trying new ways to be scary, angry and mean. It turns out that because he was not like other dragons, he found a supporting new "family". My kids understood the moral; that there is more to an individual than how others believe they are suppose to act and behave. Weepy would have missed out if he wasn't acting like himself.
on February 8, 2015
A really fun way about a dragon who is different and sensitive and who learns how to accept himself. The book is well written and entertaining and my daughter loves it. The message it conveys is positive all the way and it is really fun to read. I would highly recommend this one.
on December 5, 2013
My three-year-old daughter LOVES this book. A cute story with a simple, but important moral (that it's okay to be different from your peers). The running commentary she gives in between pages is also incredibly cute and has made this one of my favorite books to read to her.
on February 8, 2015
This was a lovely book that portrays the life of a dragon who at first tries to be like everyone else but then realizes he is different and goes on a journey of acceptance. I loved the lessons in the story and my nephew really adores this book. One of the best books for children I’ve read lately. Well worth the read.