5.0 out of 5 stars Awakens Ancient Feelings
Published on August 5, 2000 by rockefella

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, but sparse content
Weezer's first album (aka The Blue Album) was a fresh breeze of music air amidst the staleness of the grunge rock that was beginning to repeat itself, and the harder edge that the next wave of alternative music was taking on. Their concert to promote this album wasn't bad either--who else would perform on stage with a cardboard Chewbacca? Hence my complaint about the...
Published on August 28, 2004 by Robert Cossaboon

5.0 out of 5 stars Awakens Ancient Feelings, August 5, 2000
This review is from: Weezer (Blue Album) (Audio CD)
It was back in 5th grade when I had first started my ventures into music past Disney tunes. Weezer's self-titled debut was one of my introductions next to other albums of the time "Nevermind" by Nirvana, "Dookie" by Green Day, and "The Downward Spiral" by Nine Inch Nails. While all of the three aforementioned albums were very big influences on me musically and emotionally, none of them hit closer to home than Weezer. I must have moved on to other music and Weezer began to collect dust and was lost. Now upon entering 12th grade, the entire musical scene has changed, and I've been through a lot more music that has influenced me - OK Computer by Radiohead, Rid of Me by PJ Harvey, Post by Bjork, Dig Me Out by Sleater-Kinney, and others. Yet a small article about Rivers Cuomo, the lead singer of Weezer brought everything flooding back. I immediately went out and purchased another copy of Weezer. And now I can finally say this album is timeless. It'll always remind me of those lazy humid summer days me and my friends spent strumming on old acoustic guitars while watching Monty Python and arguing over Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules. "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" reflects those alienated times, when we felt the world was against us - stuck in the dredges of suburbia. While I've kind of outgrown those feelings, the song is still a beautiful display of yearning. "Buddy Holly" with its charming "ooh-oohs" was one of those songs that left us humming and tapping our feet. And "Undone-The Sweater Song" with its ambient guitar beginning, voices streaming in and out of the conscious is absolutely brilliant with its short phrasings. "Say It Ain't So" was our geeky anthem of despair and lonelieness. We practically thought "In The Garage" was written for us. Cynical and self-depreciating, Weezer writes witty songs with an amazing pop sensibility. This is one of those albums that I will always hold close to heart because it basically represents my childhood in a way. Weezer is one of those albums that will take a long time to manifest itself as a timeless classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Left quite an impression on me..., May 11, 2001
This review is from: Weezer (Blue Album) (Audio CD)
As someone who is more of a Pop/R&B and hip hop fan, I'm going to go out on a limb and throw in my two cents for this album. Here it goes...
Back in 1994, I went through an "alternative" phase. I found myself enjoying music by the Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots (especially), Live, and some random singles here and there (like Candlebox and Collective Soul). Near the end of my phase, I heard a new song debut on a San Francisco radio station (Live 105) one August morning, and it was called "Undone/The Sweater Song". I Loved it. Immediately, I took note, and kept my eyes and ears open for more Weezer material...
Next came "Buddy Holly". The song was ridiculously catchy, and it sounded nothing like "Undone" (hey...variety!) and the Spike Jonze clip for the song was definitely fun to watch. I immediately borrowed the album from one of my friends at school. I was simply amazed at how consistently good Weezer's album was; absolutely no filler tracks whatsoever - at least in my opinion.
The songs that I still enjoy to this day (despite the fact that my alternative/rock phase is over) are "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here", all three of their singles ("Undone", "Buddy Holly", "Say It Ain't So"), "Holiday" (my absolute favorite song on the album) and "Only In Dreams" (what a long, yet perfect song...)
I guess the reason why I wrote this review is because...to me, really good music has the ability to leap out of its respective genre and attract just about anyone with an open mind, and an open ear. I'm very much looking forward to hearing Weezer's new material; by all accounts it's more of the melodic, sing-songy material that made this album such a classic.
Thanks for reading.
Knyte.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back in 1994, November 5, 2004
Raskolnikov (Montréal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weezer - Deluxe Edition (Audio CD)
When Weezer released the Blue Album back in 1994, Geffen only shipped 13 000 copies because they thought the album wouldn't be a big seller since almost no publicity was made for it. Rivers Cuomo and Matt Sharp even wrote a list of persons who would surely buy the album, and the list came up to more or less a hundred persons. They sold 90 copies in the first week... But after Undone was released as a single, the album sold all the copies that were in shops, and in the end they ended up selling 3 million copies of the album. The Blue Album became a classic, and then years later, here comes this deluxe re-release.
A lot of people are not sure wether they should buy it or not. I have to admit that it's really expensive, especially in Canada. At first I decided that I wouldn't buy it, since almost every Deluxe Edition is dissapointing (see the Velvet Underground and Nico...). But a friend gave it to me for my birthday (thanks to him) and I was really surprised by what I saw (and heard). First, the packaging. It's absolutely beautiful. It contains rare and beautiful pictures of the band, which are spread through the packaging itself and inside the 30 pages booklet. The booklet contains pictures of the band, hand-written lyrics to the songs of cd 1 and 2, a story written by Todd Sullivan about how he discovered the band and got them signed and finally detailed notes about all the b-sides featured in the second cd. The only thing that was a bit dissapointing about the booklet is that the pictures are sometimes too small and the lyrics to "I swear it's true" and "Paperface" are missing, for some reason.
There is not much to say about the Blue Album. Everyone knows it's a masterpiece. So let's talk about the second cd. It contains b-sides, live tracks, demos and unreleased songs from the Blue Album era. Some of the songs can be found on compilations, soundtracks or from the Internet, but it's nice to have them all on one cd with a slightly better sound quality. Listening to this cd from the beginning to the end seems to give the impression that you understand the Blue Album even better now. It's really, really interesting, and some of the songs are actually really good (see "No one else" acoustic version, "Paperface" and "Mykel and Carli"). The only "bad" thing about the second cd is the original album mix of "Say it ain't so", which is almost identical to the version we all know. But it's interesting to see the band "stripped down" on the Kitchen Tapes recordings.
You should buy this cd. It's really a trip through the musical world of Weezer and it brings you back in 1994 in a very strange way. I know it's expensive, but it totally worths the money. Once again, Weezer as delivered quality material.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Think Weezer Ever Topped This!, December 10, 2004
This review is from: Weezer (Blue Album) (Audio CD)
As the title of this review suggests, I really don't think Weezer ever made a more consistent, more infectious, or more charming album than this one; their debut. It's got it all: loud, heavy, swirling, electrified guitars which create a lush wall-of-sound, infectious sing-a-long melodies which are as sweet as candy, charming & quirky lyrics (and vocals) that anyone feeling alienated -- or in more popular terms, anyone who feels like a "geek" -- can relate to...really, how can you go wrong here?

There's something very refreshing and nostalgic about Weezer's music -- you get the sense that they exhibit something of a vibe from the '50s and early '60s; meaning that they seem to exhibit the kind of stomach-turning (well, not stomach-turning to me, but to most "hipsters") vibe of artists like The Beach Boys (but not necessarily sounding much like them), or any other band/artist from the aforementioned time period that is highly associated with the Summer, or the beach, perhaps, yet they update -- and transmutate -- this vibe, to make it seem nearly-unrecognizable; in other words, they somehow manage to shake-up this aspect enough to make it fit in with modern times (with "slight" bit of irony and angst, but not overbearingly so), which makes Weezer's presence quite interesting and refreshing, considering what most of today's music scene is filled with.

You know the popular tracks here: "Undone (The Sweater Song)," "Buddy Holly" (probably my absolute favorite track here, ironically, considering it was a hit, and usually "hit" songs are not my favorites from albums), "Say It Ain't So" -- all excellent tracks. But, the rest of the album is just as strong in it's delicious treatment of loud, heavy guitars lurching out melodic noise, with the quirky, seemingly-harmless, "geeky" vocals; "My Name Is Jonas" is a highlight, as well as the beautifully-punchy, summery melodies of "No One Else." Really, the whole album is excellent from top to bottom.

Loud, heavy pop confections, which are soaked in melodies as sweet as candy, and quirky vulnerability to boot; You can't go wrong here. Recommended for any fan of alternative rock, or for fans who like their heavy-rock doses high in melody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah!, July 6, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Weezer (Blue Album) (Audio CD)
Simply put: Weezer's self-titled debut LP, affectionately referred to by fans as "The Blue Album," is one of the greatest rock albums of the past decade. Although I am far more infatuated with Weezer's follow-up release, "Pinkerton," it's hard to ignore the sheer wonder of "Weezer." Blending surf-rock riffs reminiscient of the Beach Boy instrumentation with undeniably catchy melodies and often times quirky lyrics (see, "Undone - The Sweater Song"), Weezer managed to produce a CD that could appeal to everyone. I've heard children barely out of first grade talking about it; my parents have stated, "This is pretty good. Who is it?"; and even the Deftones, known for their heavy metal anthems like, "My Own Summer (Shove It), praise Weezer at every opportunity and cover many of the songs from this CD at their live concerts. And you know what, the tatooed and pierced fans at the Deftones concerts go absolutewly crazy (in a good way) when the Deftones cover a Weezer song at a concert. Now that's what I call mass appeal!
1. My Name Is Jonas: Although the general theme behind the CD can be interpreted as hard rock meets the Beach Boys, the opening track does not actually fit into this category. Instead, it's a thoughtful, punk rock anthem about starting over (from what I can tell at least).
2. No One Else: You know how radio-friendly songs are created with hooks, which are designed to draw people into the songs, or make people hum the songs in the shower? Well, to be perfectly honest, I have yet to find that sort of device in "No One Else." Ironically, I'm beginning to wonder if the lack of hook is the hook .... Anyway, "No One Else" is about how Rivers Cuomo, the lead singer and lead guitarist, wants "A girl who will laugh for no one else." Pop punkish with a faint taste of surf.
3. The World Has Turned and Left Me Here: Almost a perfect song. It's basically about how a girlfriend leaving you can feel like the world has turned its back on you. Beatiful.
4. Buddy Holly: Everybody's heard this song! If you haven't, sheesh! Unbelievably catchy pop punk.
5. Undone (The Sweater Song): Hands down the most creative and ingenious hit rock single in years. The song uses a sweater as a relationship for God's sakes! So much fun to sing along to.
6. Surf Wax America: Appeals to the head-banger and surfer dude (or dudett) in all of us. Nowadays I don't think teens will rebel against authority by going surfing, but if it comes to that, "Surf Wax America" will be the rebel anthem.
7. Say It Ain't So: After hearing "Buddy Holly" and "Undone (The Sweater Song" one too many times, some music critics claimed that Weezer's lyrics were childish and irrelevant. "Say It Ain't So," a song about a boy's dealings with alcohol, and the third single off "Weezer," proved them wrong.
8. In the Garage: THE #1 geek anthem of all time. Another great song to sing along to.
9. Holiday: A throwback to that carefree Beach Boy state of mind. Surf rock, baby!
10. Only In Dreams: When most teens think of dramatic and/or climactic endings to CD's, this is the one they think of first. It's an album closer of epic preportions, or maybe it just seems that way to us geeks ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Improving a "Blue" Classic, June 6, 2004
This review is from: Weezer - Deluxe Edition (Audio CD)
It's kind of hard to expound on Weezer's classic debut. In the aftermath of grunge and the death of Kurt Cobain, along came four noisy geeks who made the world safe for noisy hook laden songs about loudmouthed girlfriends ("No One Else"), the joys of high-school love ("Buddy Holly") and a great metaphor about an unraveling relationship ("Undone - The Sweater Song"). Along with seven other great songs, this was a first album that yielded some perennial material, and founded the cult that Rivers Coumo rides today.
So why should you pony up the extra dough for the "expanded" edition? Is the second disc really worth it? For a change, the answer is yes. You get four great live tracks, complete with some funny self depreciating comments, one song from a various artists rarities album that the band wrote about their lawyer ("Jamie"), and a handful of demos. The best of the bunch is an a cappella quickie titled "My Evaline" that highlights Weezer's uncanny harmony abilities, something occasionally lost in the din.
If you're reading this, you're probably already inclined towards buying this. Go ahead. Maybe we'll get lucky and "Pinkerton" will get the same royal treatment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The eternal classic, May 14, 2001
This review is from: Weezer (Blue Album) (Audio CD)
These days we are so crazily used to all those highly fashioned bands like Eve 6, Blink 182, Lit and Wheatus that sometimes we may get impression that these guys have produced and play something incredibly original and new. Alas, most of the things they use in their music were invented before, some years earlier, and among those really original inventors (such as Nirvana, Radiohead, etc.) were Weezer, the guys that became a whole chapter in the rock music history, being able in the faraway 1993 to find an amazingly right mixture of pop, heavier rock and smartful lyrics to create something really unforgettable.
The 1994's Weezer is easily and joyfully listenable today, sounding by no means weaker than any of the above mentioned young talents. And if you've had no idea what Weezer is, having given a listen to that cd, you would never believe the album is 7 years old.
All those brilliant songs including Buddy Holly, Say It Ain't So, Undone, The World Has Turned, In the Garage, and all the rest still sound so much refreshing and can compete with all the modern tunes played on the radio stations.
Luckily, Weezer finally have their new album to release tomorrow. Haven't we been looking forward to it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD ever?, December 1, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Weezer (Blue Album) (Audio CD)
I am a 14 year old struggling guitarist in a relatively unculutured location, and music labeled popular to some (The Blue Album) is alternative in my community. This is my favorite album for two reasons: 1) Every song on it is great, and 2) None of it ever gets old. I can listen to this CD all the way through over and over again without ever becoming bored with any of the songs. This CD is probably the greatest musical inspiration to me (as I previously stated, I am a guitarist looking for a band) and motivated me to run to the nearest music store and buy the fakebook for it. Below I have provided a short analysis for each of the ten tracks (the short length is the album's only weakness).
1. My Name Is Jonas
The first track begins with a pretty acoustic guitar part that fades quickly into heavy distorted guitar beneath wonderfully fitting vocals. I think that Weezer is trying to grab the listener's attention from the start with a great first track. There is a small climactic build towards the end with a harmonica that brings out their talent in melodic songwriting. (9/10)
2. No One Else
The first time I listened to this song I hated it, probably due to the shallow lyrics. Lead singer Rivers Cuomo describes his paranoia in a relationship and his wishes for his girlfriend to never leave the house when he is gone. Once you get past the unsatisfactory lyrics, it really is a great song with more melodic guitar parts and a catchy chorus. (8/10)
3. The World Has Turned and Left Me Here
This song has always struck me as one of the better songs on the album, primarily for its excellent guitar solo and an chorus that will not leave your head for days. I often find myself tapping out some of its rhythms in class. (10/10)
4. Buddy Holly
This is the first song on the CD that is a single. Despite its annoyingly short length, the song features an incredible guitar solo and an unforgivingly addictive chorus. One of the album's less melodic songs, but fun to dance to. (9/10)
5. Undone-The Sweater Song
This is the song that probably stands out as the most original on the album. It opens with staged dialogue between two unknown male voices that describes a reunion of friends at a concert, irrelevant to the rest of the song. There is then another unforgettable chorus, more dialogue, and a sudden modulation into a brilliant melodic guitar solo. It ends with an unidentifiable instrument playing random notes. This song features the absolute most repetitive chorus on the album. (9/10)
6. Surf Wax America
If I had to pick one song on the album to remove, it would be this one. Because this is the greatest album ever made, however, it still has to fall into the category of really good songs. It definitely meets the criteria upon which my judgements are based. I probably like it the least because it is less melodic than any of the others. It features a three chord verse, three chord bridge, and three chord chorus. There is an interesting middle section that is comprised entirely of a pretty harmony between all three singers in the band. (7/10)
7. Say It Ain't So
This is my favorite song on the album, one of my favorite songs ever. Say It Ain't So opens with an almost jazzy sounding verse due to a prominent baseline and odd guitar chords. In the chorus, the song explodes into a woeful story, I think, about a young man's memories of a distressed childhood with a drunken father. A fabulous guitar solo follows the bridge, and the song ends the way it begins, with the eerie jazzy sounding guitar riff. The album is worth the money just for this song. I don't know what happened to the brilliance that Weezer showed on The Blue Album and Pinkerton... (10/10)
8. In the Garage
This song is an anthem to nerds everywhere. The lyrics describe the garage (maybe the sight of the band's earlier practices?), a room filled with Dungeons and Dragons apparatus and posters of rock group KISS. In addition to wonderfully fulfilling lyrics, the song boasts another excellent guitar solo and creative use of a harmonica. This song is kind of an adrenaline rush. (9/10)
9. Holiday
Holiday opens with a bright bang with distorted guitars, the energy of which is not lost until a weird interlude towards the song's middle during which band members sing different parts. The energy, however, is picked up again with more guitars and great vocal parts. Another one that never leaves your head, but no guitar solo... (9/10)
10. Only in Dreams
The ultimate geek ballad, Only in Dreams is the third masterpiece of the album. I think the song is just over eight minutes long, but during this time the listener is never bored, but rather intrigued by this band's brilliance with chord progression and originality with guitar riffs. This has all the elements of a great rock song: good contrast between the verse and chorus, great guitar solo, excellent build-up to the end, and lyrics that make you want to go home and kill yourself, unless you're listening to the album at home, in which case you can just do it there. This song stays with you for years. (10/10)
Definitely worth any amount of money. If you're looking for other good stuff try Pinkerton-Weezer, Surfer Rosa-The Pixies, Warning-Green Day, Smash-The Offspring, Rubberneck-Toadies, (self-titled)-Sublime.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Way To Revisit A Great Album -- And Then Some!, April 14, 2005
This review is from: Weezer - Deluxe Edition (Audio CD)
Weezer's infamous self-titled debut (otherwise known as "The Blue Album") is one of the few pieces of music from it's time that still holds up just as well today. When they made their mark in 1994, Kurt Cobain was dead and the music world had already been oversaturated by mumbling, uninspiring grunge clones. Although Weezer never quite changed the musical climate, they did, however, create a quite perfect debut, one that transcends all genres and inspires new bands even today. Few groups that materialized at this time are still around today, but Weezer remain vital, and each song on this ten track debut remains an alternative rock staple. You can't throw a cat in a crowded room without hitting someone who, whether they realize it or not, knows a good Weezer tune. So, it only makes sense that on the tenth anniversary of the release, a Deluxe Edition made it's way with all new artwork and a bonus disc full of b-sides, outtakes, demos, live songs etc. The question is, is it worth buying again?

The answer? A resounding yes. For starters, I'm sure most owners of this album have put plenty of wear and tear on it, what better time to get yourself another copy. And even if it's still in perfect condition, the bonus material is worth it alone, for the Weezer fanatic. I don't have to tell you how good the original album is. You've heard it, you know. It's perfect, front to back. The material on the second disc, while admittedly not as good as the album itself, is still worthy. Take, for example, Rivers' catchy ode to the presidents of the Weezer fanclub, "Mykel and Carli" (who passed away in a tragic car accident), with it's chorus that, in typical Weezer fashion, sticks in your head for the rest of your life. "Suzanne" and "Jamie" are probably the most well-known b-sides among Weezer fans, while a trio of demos -- referred to as "The Kitchen Tapes" -- digs a bit deeper into Weezer history. There are also live songs ("My Name Is Jonas" & "Surf Wax America") and acoustic versions ("Jamie" and "No One Else"), and to top it all off, for the diehard fans, the original mix of "Say It Ain't So" (which was released only in the early pressings of the Blue Album). Also included is a rather elaborate booklet which includes lyrics (finally) and liner notes that chronicle the early history of Weezer. The package is very well done, and surely outshines the bare-bones nature of the original release.

Overall, a good album just got even better. Despite it's price tag, the average Weezer fan just should not be without this. It might make you love the band even more. You definitely get your money's worth. And as I said before, the original album itself is just classic. Say what you will about Weezer's newer material, but this stuff just can't be beat. They definitely deserve their popularity and their place in modern rock royalty. I really think anyone and everyone can appreciate the Blue Album, an accomplishment a lot of musicians cannot acheive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too Classic Not to Love....an Astounding Debut, March 2, 2003
This review is from: Weezer (Blue Album) (Audio CD)
Weezer burst onto the scene back in 1994 with their self-titled debut album. Its everything you can want in an album and you can never get bored of it. It starts off quick then ends with the amazing guitar epic 'Only in Dreams'. This album is full of songs taht are true classics and will be legendary in 30 years like Zeppelin and Floyd are now. Here is a song by song analysis:
1.My Name is Jonas 4/5 - awesome rockin' intro that will soon grow on you and be in ur head all the time
2.No One Else 5/5 - great song...simple lyrics but sooo true
3.The World Has Turned and left Me Here 5/5 - another bomb tune
4.Buddy Holly 5/5 - The Original Weezer breakout single w/ a great video
5.Undone 6/5 - great weezer classic that makes u wanna pump ur fist and laugh while you sing along to the chorus
6.Surf Wax America 5/5 - jsut a fun songg
7.Say It Ain't So 7/5 - one of my fav Weez songs ever...classic lyrics and tune...jsut plainn amazing
8.In the Garage 5/5 - good song w/ catchy chorus
9.Holiday 4/5 - coool song that leads right into the closing
10.Only in Dreams 7/5 - Wow i would kill for weezer to make another guitar epic like this song...amazing and great to fall asleep to...worth all 7 minutes and 58 seconds of it...gets stuck in my head for hours
Weezer really can't be compared to any other band cuz theyre in their own league and have their own style. Thats what i love about them. PIck up this classic if u dont alaready have it

Weezer (Blue Album)
Weezer (Blue Album) by Weezer (Audio CD - 1994)