5.0 out of 5 stars has changed my attitudes toward myself and toward food
Published on December 11, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Had some good parts, but more of a workbook than anything.
I found that some of the stuff in this book was helpful to a certain extent. I could relate to the things the author was trying to convey, and she make some good points. However, I found that the further you get into the book, the more workbook exercises there are, and it gets tedious after a while. I was looking for more insight and less of me trying to scour my mind for...
Published on April 6, 2011 by Aila Barabin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars has changed my attitudes toward myself and toward food, December 11, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Why Weight? A Guide to Ending Compulsive Eating (Paperback)
Roth has created a wonderful, insightful compilation of exercises which, when combined with a lot of hard work on your part, can change your life. She will change your feelings about yourself and about why you eat. The exercises take a long time to get through because they are so emotionally demanding, but it is a worthwhile process. If you are ready to take a hard look at what really motivates you to open your cupboard, and examine those dark feelings you hide even from yourself, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CYNIC NO MORE, June 15, 1999
By A Customer
When I saw that this book was a "companion" to the "Breaking Free...", I said 'yeah, right...clever ruse to make more money'. OK, I was wrong. This book reaches inside, grabs ahold, and drags untouched feelings to the surface, kicking and screaming the whole way. This is a MUST READ for anyone who is serious about the topic of compulsive eating. AND THIS BOOK IS NOT JUST FOR FAT PEOPLE! Anyone who is concerned with better health and self-control, or who just might have been "spoken to" by the mere notion or plain curiousity, needs to devour this book. It is life changing material, yes it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop the hellish binge/diet cycle with Geneen as your guide., August 1, 1997
By A Customer
Geneen Roth has a deceptively simple idea to offer her readers. She's not advocating some ridiculous fad or some new diet plan. Instead, Geneen's idea is that through years of cycling through diet and deprivation followed by bingeing, we have lost touch with our innate sense of when we are hungry or full. It is only by learning how to listen to our bodies that we can finally get out of the madness of compulsive eating and regain peace and control in our lives.
In this book, Geneen Roth takes this concept which she has previously outlined one very important step further: it is broken into simple steps and exercises. The book is in workbook format to help us on our journey towards learning how to identify true hunger and nourish ourselves. The exercises help the reader to really focus on each step.
Geneen's views on compulsive eating are truly a breakthrough in our diet culture. Her ideas are a welcome relief from the constant bombardment of new diet plans which ultimately fail. Geneen leaves us feeling good about who we are regardless of size and making us realize that our compulsive eating is not crazy nor is it incurable

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life-Transforming Experience, April 30, 2003
By A Customer
Having struggled with an eating disorder for the past 10 years of my life, I was certain that I would never have a healthy relationship with food again. But, then a good friend gave me Geneen's book, and I have not looked back since on those doubtful thoughts. This is a truely incredible program that, when followed and supplemented with Geneen's books "When Food Is Love" and "Feeding the Hungry Heart", can and will take the word "diet" out of your vocabularly forever. I have never felt better about myself and have never actually lost weight while still eating anything I wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally No More Diets!, June 28, 2006
I love this book. I'm actually still doing the exercises in the book. I believe there are almost 90 exercises. Geneen requires you dig deep. The first few days of doing the work, I was a mess. I have used food to not deal with my emotions for so many years, that it actually brought me back to my emotional self as a teenager. My first diet started when I was 15 at 102 pounds! I had went over that 100 pound mark then, started my first diet, and never dealt with my emotions after that unless it involved food. I'm almost 40 years old now and thought this vicious cycle would never end. The more I dieted and deprived myself, the more I weighed in the end.

My mom told me about Geneen Roth when I was in my early twenties and she stopped dieting then and never struggled with food since, but I couldn't give up that the next diet would be the miracle that I needed! I was at most lowest point recently and read another book of Geneen's 'When Food Is Love.' I was hooked! That book was a great read, but this allows you to do the work.

I've finally given up the word 'diet' in my vocabulary, in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars What you would NEVER tell about your eating disorder, March 30, 1999
What you would never tell about your eating disorders are told by Ms. Roth and others int this book that makes it okay to talk about these problems that so many of us have. Ms. Roth is the world's #1 spokes person on this subject. She is so cleanly real and tells all just the way you have always felt but never dared tell even your dearest friend. You are not alone in the way you abuse yourself with food and finding out that others have gone through it too is incredibly freeing and the only way to heal and go on. Anything Ms. Roth writes is excellent as she has not only lived these things, but is an excellent writer as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book to get, June 10, 2010
GreenEggs-N-Ham (Plano, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I'm an emotional eater, and I got onto Amazon looking for a good book to help me through it. Luckily, something by Geneen Roth caught my eye and in the reading samples, I saw that she is amazingly insightful and compassionate. After evaluating several of her titles, I decided I wanted an action-oriented book so chose this workbook.

I'm really glad about that decision. The chapters are filled with insight and exercises that help you untangle your emotions that lie behind the emotional eating. The chapters are long and the exercises, numerous. This is good, because you don't want a rehashed lecture in quickie trade paperback form. You want a workbook that helps you *work through*.

One other note: You need to be able to write when you do these exercises. So either get the hard copy book or get ready to do a lot of journalling if you use your Kindle (which is what I'm doing). With the Kindle version, obviously you can't directly reproduce charts, but you find the exercise questions and directions are clear enough that you don't lean on the graphic versions.

Real life example of this book at work: Yesterday I had a horrible day and because I read this book, I consciously decided to make spaghetti carbonara - my favorite dish - instead of bingeing on cookies. Then I sat down to consciously eat each bite - and it was hard to do that! I really wanted to distract myself with reading and zone out. But while closing my eyes, I could really experience the food and actually felt pretty satisfied halfway through the bowl. So after filling my senses with what I was doing, instead of using food as a vehicle for numbing out, I didn't need more and I didn't feel like bingeing. This book made that happen and I think it will continue having that kind of positive effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do it!!, March 16, 2009
Jen Monkey "Jen" (Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This book is awesome. If you take the time to slowly work the program, you will succeed. I have lost 50 pounds over the past year without dieting or exercising. Just by dealing with my emotional overeating issues. If you eat when stressed or upset, this book can help you a lot. Geneen Roth is excellent. She has been there and she uses humor and understanding to guide you on your journey. A definite do!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic workbook for compulsive eaters and folks with major weight issues, August 6, 2010
I won't lie to you, I used to be in great shape, but I had some emotionally difficult years and managed to pack on about sixty pounds. Yes, they call it "emotional eating." And here I thought I was just stuffing my face, because I fattened up like a prize heifer at the state fair, and since my "bulking up" stage I've only managed to drop about ten pounds. Recently I've realized that dieting had nothing to do with me being in great shape before I got all husky, so I've been trying to figure out what my real issues are. And whoa, self discovery can be a one way ticket onto the crazy bus, let me tell you. A girl wants to be able to understand why she would sit down and eat two original chicken sandwiches (with cheese) from burger king and then chase that with fries and a whopper jr... but these are tricky tricky questions, people. Sometimes a gal needs a little direction from an outsider I guess. Lo and behold, that's where this workbook comes in!!
This workbook is massively useful, and I have already recommended it to a couple of people I know with compulsive eating issues. If you want to get to the core of your weight issues I suggest purchasing a copy of this book. If you prefer to yo-yo diet and spend time at home alone with Ben and Jerry on the sly, then perhaps this book isn't for you. What Geneen Roth offers in this book are 87 exercises that will help you rethink who you are, what you are all about, and why you feel the need to keep yourself stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey. And don't worry, these are writing exercises so you can stay plopped in a chair the whole time.
I'm not even halfway through the book, and I am experiencing major life changes. This book WILL help you deal with issues that you might not want to deal with. You know, the kinds of issues that you try to avoid dealing with by overeating.
My only other advice to those considering the purchase of this book is that since it is mostly a workbook you might want to consider pairing it up with another one of Roth's books. I liked "When You Eat At The Refrigerator, Pull Up A Chair." I happen to be completing the workbook while reading "Half-Assed A Weight Loss Memoir" by Jennette Fulda. The combination is pretty satisfying for me. If you are a younger person, or are very crafty and creative, I would also recommend "Our Lady Of Weight Loss" and "All Is Forgiven Move On" by Janice Taylor.
As you may have noticed, I have been doing a lot of "weight loss self help reading" in the last couple of weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars THANKS, March 10, 1999
By A Customer
Thanks, Geneen. Your book is fantastic. I'm 21 years old and the last five years I've been lost. Now, after reading your book, life is different. I know me better and I love me. THANK YOU. ( I'm Spanish so excuse my writing, sorry)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Why Weight? A Guide to Ending Compulsive Eating
Why Weight? A Guide to Ending Compulsive Eating by Geneen Roth (Paperback - June 1989)
$15.00 $10.27