Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on February 19, 2002
First, I do enjoy this cookbook. Everything I have made from it has been wonderful, and if you like the recipes in "Simply the Best: 250 Prizewinning Family Recipes" then I think you will like the recipes in this book. They are slightly more gourmet and less homey than the recipes in "Simply the Best," so if "Simply the Best" was pushing the edge of the exotic envelope for you, then you might prefer a different WW cookbook than this one for your next purchase.
The book is organized into three color-coded sections (15 minute, 20 minute, and 30 minutes) and each section is organized into breakfast, lunch, and dinner recipes. Many of the lunch recipes would also work well for dinner or as part of dinner. This is the sort of cookbook that you will enjoy sitting down with and sticking post-it notes to promising recipes.
However, I give this book 4 stars instead of 5 because the preparation times for the recipes are frequently deceptive. They are not the times for fixing these recipes from start to finish, they assume that you have already performed your preps. So, a 30 minute recipe might not include the time for pulling all of the ingredients out of the pantry and refrigerator, and tasks such as slicing raw chicken breasts or steak into strips, chopping onions, mincing garlic, chopping parsley, or peeling, deseeding, and slicing cucumbers. The cookbook "Desperation Dinners" by Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross (not a lowfat cookbook), for example, is truly a 20 minute start-to-finish recipe cookbook; this one is not, although in most cases the actual time will not be too much more than the stated time. One exception is the Apricot Glazed Pork Skewers with Mango Quinoa, which is supposed to be ready in 30 minutes. Even if your preps are all ready ahead of time I think you'd be hard-pressed to prepare this dish in under 45 minutes. The 30 minutes includes thinly slicing 1-1/2 pounds of pork tenderloin and threading it onto 12 skewers, which alone took me a good 15 minutes.
One thing I like about this cookbook is that it finally got me to try cooking with Fat-Free Half-and-Half, and I have been very pleased with the recipes that use this, such as a Creamy Cauliflower Soup (saute leeks in a little olive oil, add frozen cauliflower and canned chicken broth, simmer, puree, then finish with FF Half-and-Half, nutmeg, and S&P). My favorites recipes in this book, so far, are the Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Greek Chicken Pasta Toss, Chicken with Spicy Marmalade Glaze, Chicken Tacos with Salsa Verde Cream, and Sesame Glazed Shrimp with Snow Peas and Baby Corn.
0Comment242 of 245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2002
I love cookbooks, and read them like novels. (After all, if you're always dieting, curling up with good cookbook gives some of the pleasure of eating a good meal, but with no calories!)
I have several hundred cookbooks, but how many do I really use when I cook? Well, this one, definitely. If you are looking for simple, quick, low fat recipes, I can't recommend this book too highly. When I'm stuck for a quick dinner, this cookbook is where I look first. The recipes are very quick and they mostly use common ingredients you can quickly pick up at the grocery store or might have on your pantry shelves already.
By the way, in addition to listing nutrtional info for each recipe, each recipe also gives Weight Watchers points (if you are a Weight Watcher, you know what I mean), and diabetic exchanges. So, I think this would also be a great cookbook for diabetics as well as those of us who are trying to lose weight.
0Comment164 of 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2001
As a recent member of weight watchers, and a long-time cooking fanatic, I find that this book satisfies not only both sides [the healthy and the adventurous] but also saves time. The book's design is all about speed and convenience. the recipes are easy to read and follow, and each section is neatly organized to help you find the recipe you want quickly. Although each recipe does not have its own photo, there are many, many sumptuous photos throughout the book that represent the global culture [from Mexico to Italy to Thailand]. Other nice features include the points and nutritional breakdown on the bottom of every page, serving suggestions, and plenty of white space on every page so you can add your own notes or personal flair. It is definitely the type of book that will easily become a cooking reference for anyone who wants to eat healthy with precious time to spend.
0Comment68 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2003
I bought this book because I am on Weight Watchers. I have other cookbooks of theirs but I needed something that made dinner quickly. It had to be able to satisfy the finicky eaters. I have two of them! I needed it to be a little more filling for my dear husband. I wanted to add some interesting recipes. Well, this book is the answer.
The sections of the book are divided into 15, 20, & 30. How wild is that? In front of these sections, it gives an index of what meals are in there. You can plan your menu out just by figuring out how much time you want to spend cooking. There are some meals that need more time. SORRY! My favorite part is that on the side of every recipe there is a list of ingredients so, you can just check what you have in the house. You can have an easier time shopping for the stuff too. There is nothing exotic in this book. This thrills me to death! I have timed some of the meals and they are pretty close. One small nitpicky thing is that there are just a few pictures. You do not see those mouthwatering pictures that draw you to the stove. The book is not glossy so, there is no resistance to damage. Another item that bothers me is that it is not organized into categories of food types such as: poultry, vegetarian, meat, etc. Itis organized by time and the food is just slopped into the section.
It has the points that you use for Weight Watchers. However, for those that are not on WW, it makes life easier by cooking less, using eye appealing recipes, and containing the nutritional info. It can help people that are just trying to eat healthier.
This is one of my two favorite Weight Watchers' books. You must buy this book. The positives definitely out weigh the negatives! Happy Eating!
0Comment45 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2003
Make It In Minutes is a wonderful cookbook for those of us who don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen! Even if you do not follow the Weight Watchers meal point plan, you will find the recipes easy to follow and very healthful. The book is organized into 15,20 and 30 minute sections with easy to follow instructions and full nutritional content for each recipe. My favorites so far are the Oriental Pepper Steak, Sweet and Sour Shrimp, Honey Pecan Chicken (super fast and EASY!!) and the Greek Chicken Pasta Toss. Even my picky eater 6 year old loves it! I highly recommend this book!!
0Comment30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2002
I have four weightwatchers cookbooks and this is by far my favorite and the most used. I think I make at least 3 to 4 meals from this book a week.
All the other cookbooks ask for items that I have never heard of and I was looking for something that was simple. This book works for my busy life style and also has great flavors.
The great thing is, my family has enjoyed ever item I have made from this book too! So that should count for something. That includes my teenaged daughter.
Enjoy.
0Comment28 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2002
True to its title, this Weight Watchers cookbooks has easy recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was happy about the inclusion of multiple meals. I also liked the listing of point values.
My only problem with the book were the fancy foods. I'm not an amazing cook. When I hear "make it in minutes", I'm hoping for something like my Betty Crocker "Easy" recipes, where I can use pre-bought ingredients and throw it together. I also want to see familiar recipes. There are a lot of different and unique recipes here, and I'm sure that most people would enjoy them. However, I was looking for a basic cookbook that would allow me to make simple meals with ingredients I am familiar with. I'm sure this book will be great for experimenting and trying new foods, only that's not what I expected.
0Comment88 of 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2003
Excellent set up of the cookbook. Recipes are set up not only as breakfast, lunch, dinner but as 15 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minute recipes. The recipes are easy to *read*, everything is set up very clearly and simply. Points are included as are calories, fat, carbs...and other nutritional info, so you could use this recipe on other diets as well. Particularly helpful for low fat, low cal, and diabetic diets (altho ww generally uses sugar as a sweetener, this could be adjusted)
The recipes are excellent with easy to find ingredients. Some of the ethnic recipes might require things not normally in a pantry but arent items that are so way out you would never use them again. There are many full color pictures of finished dishes which i like very much. (I do wish the paper was glossier as it cleans up easier)
This cookbook has followed the other ones i have had in the respect that the recipes *work*. I have made many recipes from ww cookbooks for company without trying them ahead of time, with no problem. Also included are *what to serve with it* suggestions.
You might find for your *non-dieters* that the portions are a bit small...or a lot small. Just keep that in mind when looking over the recipes... The recipes would be great for dieters and non dieters alike
0Comment33 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2005
When I signed up for the Weight Watchers Online program three months ago, I was cautiously optimistic. I feared that I would have to live on small portions and boring, bland foods for the rest of my life. I knew from the beginning that I would need variety in my diet to keep me motivated, so I went to the bookstore and flipped through the various Weight Watchers cookbooks. I was looking for a book that was affordable, offered a number of easy-to-intermediate recipes, and featured recipes that were flavorful, yet mostly used ingredients that I could find at my local grocery store or farmer's market.

This book really fit the bill. These recipes use a few carefully chosen ingredients to pack a lot of flavor into every meal. Also, surprisingly enough, the servings were large enough that I was able to eat until I was full every time I used this cookbook. As a Points counter, I found that there were plenty of recipes to choose from with a nice variety of Points values. This book may not work as well for Core members, because a lot of the recipes incorporate pasta. The Peachy Pork Chops were a surprise favorite, and the Tortellini with Prociutto and Peas has become one of my favorite meals ever, light fare or otherwise.

When I cook using this cookbook, I forget that I am on a diet and instead get a great feeling of satisfaction, because I am expanding my cooking repertoire and at the same time trying new herbs and flavors every night. This book is highly recommended to anyone who wants to diet without dying of boredom, or for anyone who wants a simple and tasty treat for dinner tonight.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2002
This is the first Weight Watchers cookbook in which I've been disappointed. The first recipe we made had several inaccuracies including, The fat count, the calorie count, the point count. In addition the recipe was too dry and the product if made according to directions, and we did that, was not edible. I think that for the first time Weight Watchers trusted someone else with the responsibility for accuracy in one of their books and their trust was misplaced. I was further disappointed when I discussed the problem with the leaders where I bought the book and they were totally unconcerned and held Weight Watchers blameless in the book's errors. I expected the organization to accept responsibility for publications which are published in their name and sold in their establishments.
0Comment64 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse