4.0 out of 5 stars For everyone, not just vegetarians
Published on January 31, 2005 by Greger Wikstrand

3.0 out of 5 stars A good way to begin vegetarian cooking
The receipes here are easy. There aren't any photos, so there isn't any way to view the finished product. I like the abundance of ethnic flavored recipes and soups. It's also nice to get information on how to soak beans and use tofu several different ways.
Published on August 1, 2002 by Amy Giovannetti

4.0 out of 5 stars For everyone, not just vegetarians, January 31, 2005
This review is from: Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian (Paperback)
This cook-book offers vegan and vegetarian low-fat, low-calories recipes for those on the weight watchers program or for anyone else. The book contains 150 recipes and each has suggestions for variations so you can probably cook several hundred different varieties. Each recipe is clearly marked so that you can see if it should be prepared ahead or if it is fast and easy to make and so on.

The best things about this book:

+ Good value for my money

+ Each recipe has WW points and a full nutritional analysis per serving

+ Lots of tips for varieties of the dishes, other ingredients to try etc

+ Conversion table to metric units

The worst things about this book:

- Poor paper quality. Cookbooks really should have glossy paper so that you can wipe them easily.

- Some recipes are not very filling

A tip:

Many of the dishes can be prepared either partially or fully in advance. That's good if you need to: a) bring your own lunch to dinner, b) want the flavours to develop more fully, or c) if you want to avoid cooking when hungry.

You should buy this book if:

* You are a vegan or vegetarian on the WW program

* You want to eat healthy and wholesome food

* You are not a vegetarian but want to experiment with non-meat cooking

5.0 out of 5 stars you don't need to be in WW to love this book, October 15, 2001
I am not in WW and frankly always assumed that their recipes were boring and unsatisfying (I came to this conclusion from reading the older cookbooks my mother has from years ago). Well, WW has come a long way since then! These recipes sound great! I made the chickpea and vegetable tagine, and my normally picky husband loved it, as did I. It had a very aromatic and authentic flavor that I would not have expected from a WW recipe. I am plannig to make the Risotto with Leeks and Artichokes tonight. I think the recipes are creative and easy to prepare--many of them are one pot meals--and the ingredients and spices eclectic and interesting. It's not your average bland and boring steamed vegetable platter. For Weight Watchers members, the POINTS are very low for large, satisfying servings, which is great for anyone with a healthy appetite.
I would also like to add that I came across this title at the WW Web site and have found wonderful recipes from there as well (which is what led me to buy this book sight unseen). I am happily surprised and very impressed with this book. I am much more open to the idea of buying more WW cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for Vegetarian Weight Watchers, June 8, 2001
Although vegetarian meals are often seen as healthier and lower in fat and calories than non-vegetarian meals, this is NOT always the case, especially if the recipes are packed with fat and/or whole-milk dairy products, cheeses, etc. Whether you are a followers of Weight Watchers or not, this book is a great choice, offering healthy benefits for those who prefer meatless meals. It is also a great choice for non-vegetarians looking for an occasional change of pace and unique ways to prepare entrees and other menu items. There's plenty here to satisfy even the most discriminating palette!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good way to begin vegetarian cooking, August 1, 2002
Amy Giovannetti (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful cookbook, April 2, 1999
By A Customer
Having been vegetarian for several years, my husband and I luckily stumbled across this book at the library (and subsequently bought our own copy). We have liked everything we've cooked from this book, especially the Penne with Green Beans and Herbs (which my uncle, a meat-eating caterer, LOVED) and the Spinach Pie. Hardly a week goes by when we don't make a recipe from this book. The recipes are simple, easy to follow, and use readily available ingredients (a MAJOR plus since many veg and weight-loss cookbooks require lots of hard-to-find items). The nutrition and exchange information is also very valuable.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Pictures!, August 5, 2005
Danni Cruse (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian (Paperback)
I love the recipes as they are diverse in food choices and most of them are pretty easy to make. However, there are no pictures!! Personally, I love pictures of the dish so I know how it should look. I was very disappointed to see no pictures to accompany the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vegetarian cookbook!, February 10, 2003
By A Customer
I'm not in WW, but I have to say this is simply a great vegetarian cookbook. I own MANY veggie cookbooks and this is one that I turn to at least twice a week. The ingredients are not obscure and the seasonings are wonderful without being overpowering. My fave is the spinach calzone. Yum!

5.0 out of 5 stars Veggie Lovers Unite!, June 1, 2000
What's great about this book is that it is full of recipes for the one thing weight watcher participants can eat - veggies. I recommend the Chunky Guacomole (1 point per serving) and the Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (2 points). Everything I have tried is just great. My husband loves the Cauliflower with Black Bean Sauce. This is a must have whether you are watching your weight or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent manual on exquisite "no-compromise" veg cuisine, July 24, 1998
We've prepared numerous recipes from this book, and each continues to astonish and delight. Although the collection dabbles in diverse ethnic cuisine, almost all recipes use readily available ingredients. Having been a life-time vegetarian (and my girlrfiend a budding one), we're always wary of bland, lifeless, health-conscious bird-food...but these recipes demostrate that taste and variety in cuisine aren't just for carnivores. Our favorites are the Spanish Tortilla, Pear-Walnut Salad and the Polenta Stuffed Peppers.
Photographs are not provided for all recipes, but that's a minor gripe in what's generally an excellent book !

3.0 out of 5 stars not an 'average' cookbook, January 10, 2003
A. Elder "kcmommyof2" (Clinton, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian (Paperback)
I was all excited when I found out there was a ww vegetarian cookbook. When I got it though, I found out that it is full of strange recipes, with items I dont normally have on hand. I was hoping for some yummy vegetarian recipes that seemed familiar. I live in a small town and I can not find some of the things they call for, like quinoa, millet, etc. There are a few recipes that are familiar, and I plan on trying them. If I had it to do again, I would not have purchased this book.

Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian
Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian by Weight Watchers (Paperback - January 22, 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01