Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2007 2:23:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2007 2:24:09 PM PDT
luvdapack says:
I am very interested in this book but am curious about any weight gain anyone has had. I've quit before, but always gain like 30lbs. Does this books address this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2007 9:18:27 AM PDT
Emily Bishop says:
Yes this book addresses weight gain, and how to avoid falling for the substitution trap. I found his logical approach quite helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2008 5:11:50 AM PST
Here is a good news: if you 1) are really committed to quit 2) really read the entire book through 3) analyze your behavior as a smoker following the facts and logic presented by it ... you may be out of withdrawal symptoms next day and will not have any craving for food as a substitute for smoke! Could not believe it either...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2008 8:58:58 PM PDT
MichWhipp says:
Plan ahead ~ Start exercising and watching what you eat while you're quitting!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2008 10:09:12 AM PDT
Yes this book does address weight gain. I struggle with weight as it is and I am pleased to announce that you CAN quit without weight gain. Just follow the book.

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 3:54:16 AM PDT
Olivia says:
I quit just shy of my ten year mark as a smoker. This book made it easy. The only reason you crave cigarettes is because you introduce nicotine into your body and it's addictive. Once you decide not to give your body the drug (nicotine) you go through withdrawal pains which eventually will disappear as you detox. I did gain four pounds in the first two weeks of quitting, but I decided not to get down on myself and I kept to my vegetarian diet (healthy diet) and exercised, and lost the weight. Now I am happily FIVE POUNDS THINNER than I was BEFORE I quit smoking three months ago! I have simply applied Carr's easy methods to quit smoking to not overindulging in food. This book has helped me in many ways, you see? :) Highly recommended.

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 1:25:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2009 1:26:28 PM PDT
Bunny says:
I just wanted to say to anyone who is worried about the weight gain, please don't let that hold you back. It helps to have a lot of fruits and veggies already washed, cut, ready to eat; popcorn is a good hand-to-mouth distraction; lollipops or hard candy are useful; straws cut to length of a cigarette also help.

I bought some little herbal things at CVS called End-Its that I turned to a lot. It's plastic, looks like a cigarette, you can "drag" through the filter and get the sensation of smoking. They're totally harmless and really good for the times that the other stuff doesn't cut it. Sometimes all we need is that familiar feel between our fingers and the raising of hand to mouth to help get through a craving. Of course, it's better not to reinforce the hand-to-mouth, whether it be a product like that or food...but any of these things are better than picking up a cigarette, for sure.

The most important thing is that gaining a few pounds is not gonna hurt your health near as much as continuing to smoke. And if you can conquer the nicotine monster, you are certainly strong enough to get rid of any extra weight you may put on. I mean, think about it: Which is more difficult -- going without a cigarette or going without a cupcake/exercising for a few minutes?

Just don't let the fear of weight gain stop you. If you can quit smoking, you can do absolutely anything you put your mind to, including losing weight. Besides, it's probably just your little inner nicotine demon trying to find ways to dissuade you from quitting. Tell it to shut up and quit trying to sabotage you. That little booger controls your thoughts only if allow it to do so.

Good luck to everyone!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr (Paperback - January 7, 1999)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (563)