4.0 out of 5 stars Weird and Wacky and lots of fun
Published on December 29, 2005 by R. C Sheehy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Overall the book was written well and full of interesting tales. I expected more pictures and more places that could be visited today. Mostly the book was of tales up to 200 years old. I suppose I could have read the description closer to what the book was about before purchasing it.
Published on March 12, 2006 by D. Christie

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird and Wacky and lots of fun, December 29, 2005
This review is from: Weird New England: Your Travel Guide to New England's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of Mark and his cohorts since they came out with Weird US last year. While I can't speak with for the over volumes this one does a great job of exposing myths, legends, ghost stores, and the generally weird. The beauty of these books is that there is a slight mocking tone while at the same time a tremendous amount of respect for the stories. They don't try to make you believe yet they don't try to discredit. Rather they leave it up to you the reader to make your own choices. But these guys are great folkologists and these books are perfect for anyone who wants to know more about their own locals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Weird edition, October 8, 2007
This is an excellent edition in the Weird series, mainly due to the author's enthusiasm for the subject. He tackles a sprawling amount of New England history and folklore, and will definitely give you a ton of travel ideas for your next road trip. My only complaint is that Citro hails from Vermont and devotes too many pages to it over other states - here's hoping Volume 2 is in the works! I bought this volume along with Weird New York (by a different author) and can say this is significantly better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, March 12, 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!, September 3, 2006
A Kid's Review
I saw this book at my aunts house and started reading it. I though it was very interesting so I went out and bought it my self. I read the entire book in a week. Now I am out getting more books. I already have Weird U.S. and want more. A must read. It is very interesting and shows you things you can visit and see.

5.0 out of 5 stars How weird is that?, March 29, 2009
Not weird at all, if you ask me! The legendary Citro joins Mark and Mark for an adventurous ride that brings us across the entire New England region, north to south and east to west, in this wonderful addition to the "Weird" series. Joseph A. Citro is at it again, unearthing every weird oddity, bizarre legend and little know fact that only he could find and only New England could offer. He includes a whole host of both classic and contemporary tales, "off the beaten path," of course.

Mr. Citro is to be commended on finding so many new curiosities (The Elusive Vermont Hum, The Girl Who Stopped Time) as well as uncovering long-lost tales rarely told (Hibernating Hill Folk, Gentlemen of the Highway). As always, Mr. Citro writes with his usual tounge-in-cheek, witty humor we have grown to love and expect from him. He doesn't disappoint here.

You'll see giant frogs atop spools of thread, hillside whale tails, and Boston's skinniest house. Spend some time at America's Stonehenge in Salem, New Hampshire (an enjoyable and educational place to spend an afternoon), and go see The Weird Windmill in Newport, Rhode Island (a fun and historic place to wander around for the day). There are colorful photos of these and more! This book is stuffed full of photos of almost every strange site, as well as illustrations for the legends.

The only omission I can think of was the Desert of Maine. Although it's been covered in other books, I would like to have seen that unique oddity included. Otherwise, you can rest assured you won't be missing anything else along the way. Come join Mr. Citro for tales of ghostly encounters, a Cemetery Safari, and a tour of Roads Less Traveled. This book from the creators of the "Weird" series, authored by our favorite folklorist, was loads of fun. Strap yourself in and come along for the ride!

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more location info & photos, February 26, 2012
This is one of those books that most people probably don't read every page of. I know I didn't as a lot of the stories seemed uninteresting to me.

I just want to point out that it annoys me to get a book like this, and then there is no address or location info provided so you are unable to find the places on your own. Some of the stories talk about a specific picture, and then they don't include the picture. Pretty pointless to include that story if you ask me. Its just a tease because now I want to see the photo.

I did like how you could look in the back and find stories that went to specific states. Its surprising how many books don't do this. But overall there wasn't enough to capture my attention, as I said, I skipped a LOT. Glad I only got it from my library. I was through the book in a day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird New England, December 16, 2008
A great read! This book has inspired a couple random road trips already. If you live in New England and enjoy all its little oddities this guide is a great place to discover some things you may not have known about. The only downside is there seems to be a little bit too much filler material. Over-all though, I recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another must for Joseph Citro fans., April 12, 2007
Diana (Gardnerville, NV, United States) - See all my reviews
After receiving Weird US as a Christmas gift. I had to have more. To my surprise Weird New England was written by my favorite author Joseph Citro, and I wasn't disappointed.

I loved this entertaining guide through the unusual places and tales of New England.

If you are looking for a real travel guide of New England this may not be the book for you, but if you want a fun read this is an excellent choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird New England, December 28, 2012
I live in Vermont, a small part of New England. My mother purchased this book for us for Christmas years ago. We read the stories in the book frequently, recognizing a number of the stories in it that have been told to us by past generations. There are a number of them that we want to look for in our travels. We loaned the book to someone, and it never returned. So when I saw this book on Amazon, I had to have it again. When it came in, I read the stories all over again. If anyone is planning any travels in New England, I would suggest that you purchase this book, read the stories, and see if any of them are in the path of where you are visiting. You never know, you may read something that will change your destination!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this fun book!, February 6, 2010
We're new to New England so we have used this book to plan several day trips. I would buy it again and have already given it as a gift to another native New Englander who found new places to visit as well.

ARRAY(0xa9ee6558)