5.0 out of 5 stars Really hilarious, can't stop listening
This is the greatest stand-up I've ever heard Donald Glover do. I was disappointed by his Comedy Central special mostly because his material was neutered so much for TV: this set is so much better. I really can't stop listening to it, I'm already quoting some of his material to friends. Definitely recommend.
Published on April 28, 2012 by Lindsey Peterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty funny
I was a bit disappointed. I think Donald is extremely talented but I found his stand-up fell a little flat. Some of his jokes touched on political and social issues, but he seems to have zero political consciousness. That is not to deny how hysterical some of those bits are.
Published 10 months ago by CS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Really hilarious, can't stop listening, April 28, 2012
This review is from: Weirdo [Explicit] (MP3 Music)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Story-Driven Comedy (plus a bit of racial commentary), July 20, 2012
This review is from: Weirdo [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Donald Glover has covered a lot of ground in recent years. While he got his start writing for Tina Fey on 30 Rock, he's expanded to the cast of Community, released a rap album (CAMP), and moved into the world of stand-up comedy. I don't really consider myself a fan of Glover -- I think he's funny, but I don't normally seek out his work. I stumbled upon his first live comedy album and gave it a chance. Now, I'm glad I did: Donald Glover is a natural story-teller.

On WEIRDO, Glover's style is almost completely story-driven. In many ways, he reminds me of Mike Birbiglia; the material Donald Glover works with on stage is pulled from autobiographical events. Throughout WEIRDO, he also adds some racial commentary, but for the most part, the album is a collection of stories. And while Glover didn't make his bones in stand-up, his style works really well on stage. It feels less like a funnyman on stage reading off jokes and more like someone who enjoys telling stories having fun with the audience. The best moments happen when Glover gets personal, like when he remembers his childhood in "Kix," "S'mores," or "Home Depot."

Some of the content here feels like old territory: white people using the "N word," the difference between men and women, etc... When Glover focuses on race, it's to mixed results. It never comes across as preachy, but the attempt to make social commentary isn't as funny its surrounding material. For an album called WEIRDO, it's really not that gross, strange, or bizarre. As successful Donald Glover has been on television, I have a feeling that he has an equally great stand-up comedy career ahead of him as well.

I would strongly recommend this album to any and all Donald Glover fans (whether it be his work on television or music). For those unfamiliar with him, this comedy album is just as strong as most comedy veterans'. Highlights for this particular show: "Tiny Hitlers," "Poop," and "Kix."

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny I laughed until I cried at work..., August 13, 2014
This review is from: Weirdo [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Donald Glover's Weirdo is one of the funniest comedy albums I've listened to in a long time. The last ten minutes of his show (Home Depot) had me laughing so hard at work that I had tears streaming down my face, and I'm pretty sure my co-workers think I'm insane. Thank goodness for quality headphones. His comedic genius comes from the animated way he tells his stories. You can picture the events he talks about happening, which makes his brand of comedy (intelligent, and a little bit nerdy) uniquely him. Excellent, hilarious, and fresh - I wish there were more comedy albums by Glover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really funny!, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Weirdo [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I think Donald Glover is/was hilarious on Community. This comedy CD is also very funny. Enjoy it cause I know you will!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Weirdo [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I really enjoyed him as an actor and found that his stand up comedy is pretty good as well. Really enjoyed the section where he covers how children are small demons.

5.0 out of 5 stars quick & ez, February 14, 2014
This review is from: Weirdo (Audio CD)
Very funny CD. I going to have to find more of his comedy shows. Too bad he is no longer on community.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny so funny., February 1, 2014
This review is from: Weirdo [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Very funny. Has a lot of material that is not in the tv show. He cracks me up and this guy is the shizz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, November 5, 2013
This review is from: Weirdo [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I've never watched community but rather came across Donald on comedy central. Its good for a few listens and his style is easy to listen to flows well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glover is funny and relatable, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Weirdo [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I had heard some of this material on his comedy channel special. The material that was new to me was funny and I was pleased to hear it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty funny, October 11, 2013