Customer Discussions > American Psycho forum

Welcome to the American Psycho forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2005 10:38:55 AM PST
Be the first to start a new discussion in this forum. Share questions, insights, and views about your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 4:53:47 AM PDT
Daniel Minto says:
Can anyone tell me who the man is on the cover of the book?

Posted on May 14, 2010 2:00:29 PM PDT
My dad

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 5:23:11 AM PDT
American Psycho is an exciting read from the beginning all the way to the end. Those that have seen the movie shouldn't allow its bland feel to discourage picking up the novel. Then again, if anyone judged a book by its motion filmed cousin then they ought to not read at all anyway. With that said, I love the middle chapters when Batemen's madness increases and down a flesh consuming slope he goes. As an editor and owner of Deadman's Tome, an online horror magazine, I'm surprised I haven't received material like this.

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 6:06:23 AM PDT
hlew says:
I have recently finished the book and I really did enjoy the read. As I wrote in my review there were times when my jaw literally dropped down and stayed there till I noticed it. I did see the movie first years ago when it was in the theatre. But as usual the book is a masterpiece while the movie can only try to live up to it. I noticed that some people did not like the chapters about music. This only adds to the frenetic energy of the book, it builds up just how well. . .psycho the guy is. The things he cares about, clothes, art, music and flesh. I have not read any other of his books, have any of you on this forum. Tell me about them.

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 4:00:29 PM PDT
McGill says:
As well as American Psycho, I've read Ellis's first two novels, "Less Than Zero" and "The Rules of Attraction." In case you're interested...

The first is a look at young nihilism in Los Angeles narrated by symbolically-named Clay who has come home for Xmas vacation from a New England college. It's about 200 pages, episodic in nature, dead in tone, considered very hip for its 1985 publication.

"The Rules..." takes place at, I believe, the New England college Clay attends, and it takes the subject matter from Ellis's first book and transfers it to the campus. It's narrated by a ton of characters (with attention to the three corners of a love triangle) and in a way is even more hip than "Less Than Zero" but carries that same lifeless, self-centered tone Ellis employed in the previous novel.

I read both books in college and found them somehow both shocking and boring. Neither really has any meaty sort of plot. It's more about the setting and the characters, and how bad and awful Ellis says everything is. It's satire, I guess, but no way as satirical as "American Psycho," assuredly Ellis's best and most memorable book.

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 9:02:30 PM PST
Sammy K. says:
Anyone read "Killing Matt Cooper"? When I read it the first thing I thought of was American Psycho. It's like a shorter, sharper version of American Psycho. I needed mind-bleach after reading it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  American Psycho forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2005
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
AMERICAN PSYCHO.
AMERICAN PSYCHO. by Bret Easton Ellis (Hardcover - 1998)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (1,434)