Customer Discussions > Angels & Demons forum

Welcome to the Angels & Demons forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2005 11:17:17 PM PST
Be the first to start a new discussion in this forum. Share questions, insights, and views about your favorite books and authors. Hear what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 1:20:05 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2007 5:30:36 PM PDT
D. Zepeda says:
How does schizophrenia relate at all to The Da Vinci Code or the Illuminati?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2009 11:36:16 AM PST
Benny Moy says:
Does anyone know the differences between the abridged and unabridged versions? Thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 5:58:12 AM PST
S. Weller says:
I am following these books perfectly and yet I have never once read those books. How about throwing in a Understanding Anti-matter book. that is something that is theorectial yet if ever concieved will be fundamental in the stabilization of our planet but like the Atom bomb it will probably either be used first by the military or be designed as a co-military/civilian sector breakthrough. I'm not talking Star Trek here i'm talking cold evidence and science..

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 8:50:23 AM PDT
Shirl in DC says:
The reason I do like to read Dan Brown's books is I do research and I learn for myself different things. For example, I never ever heard of anti-matter, but since seeing the word in Angels & Demons, I did a little research and found out its the opposite of matter and has to do with the subatomic level/particles. It just so happens my daughter is learning about particles, what atoms are made of, and the timing could not have been better as far as bringing the concept home. Now my daughter wants to learn MORE about physics which I'm all for and very happy. She is catholic and the school principal at the catholic school she attends is soooooooooooooo against her reading the book. If it were not for this book, I would not even thought about the objects/symbols on our currency. I would not have thought about the selection method of a pope. I also learned the background of an upside down cross. St. Peter was cruxified on the cross upside down. St Peter was mentioned in Angels and Demons. Books like Dan Brown's books are thought provoking and action provoking....at least to me.

Shirl in DC

Posted on Apr 3, 2009 2:24:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2009 3:04:40 PM PDT
Amazon Reader, I can't figure out the link between the schizophrenia information and DVC, or Illuminati...
Are you referring to certain paranoid elements in some conspiracy theories? If yes, than of course, sociologists of mental health professionals can easily point out certain elements of paranoia in conspiracy theories, no question about it. It depends if a conspiracy theory is just a conspiracy theory, or paranoid conpisracy theory, there is a difference between them.

Here is a link to website which in my opinion, simply and clearly makes the difference between conspiracy theories.

http://www.skeptics.org.uk/article.php?dir=articles&article=what_are_conspiracy_theories.php

PS added
I am not clear about the Illuminati. There is difference between A&D by Dan Brown and theories of for ex. David Icke.

To Shirl in DC:I see, the books by Dan Brown can provoke curiosity. Good point. Just his research is so sloppy, the facts need a lot of verification, but I can see that he is able to put information he got ( and didn't verify), in an enjoyable form. He was a teacher after all, so, I don't want deny his talent to communicate certain ideas.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2009 1:22:03 AM PDT
Is there any differrence between the original version and this new one - Movie tie in?

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2009 6:41:10 PM PDT
I would imagine that some of the blah blah blah that plagues Dan Brown's books are missing from the abridged version.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2009 6:45:29 PM PDT
Ok. As long as you don't stop with Dan Brown's books. You say you had not thought about the selection method of a pope. Please don't go by what you read in this book. He has LOTS of errors concerning the papal conclave. I'm sure that some of them were intentional in order to further the plot (as in having the cardinals start the conclave at night). If you're interested in learning how a pope is elected, you could just look for some magazine or newspaper articles from a few years ago when Pope Benedict was elected. The coverage was massive (unlike in the book) and many newspapers, magazines and tv networks explained the process.

Posted on May 10, 2009 5:30:38 PM PDT
ARK says:
I was really let down by the ending of the book Brown really turned Carlo Ventresca into a monster in the end it was really depressing, i loved the book up til about the last 50 pages and everything hit the fan after that, it was really a good book but the last 50 pages could have been omitted, and have Carlo be the good guy an elected pope, and everyone's happy. I was really let down by the ending of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2009 8:59:44 AM PDT
abridged is a shorter version, not the full book

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2009 9:02:32 AM PDT
What makes you an authority on either illness or how it relates to the illuminati?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2009 9:04:54 AM PDT
no, it's just a post by someone who still believes there are no cover ups!
I can recommend 3 great movies to show what they are worried about:
Enemy of the State
The Long Kiss Goodnight
and highly underrated Shooter**

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2009 9:07:53 AM PDT
Thank you for the link, and you seemed to answer your own question! Well done!
Skeptics! no mental illness!

Posted on May 15, 2009 12:22:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2009 8:46:20 AM PDT
M. Ross says:
Let's ignore the facts that Dan Brown's plots are moronically identical across all his novels: there is always the quite introspective highly intelligent man (his super ego), a super smart, brave, voluptuous heroin, and either a) the evil conservative government (e.g. Deception Point, Fortress, etc. or b) the evil Catholic church (e.g. Angels & Demons, Da Vinci, etc). His plots are so predictable anyone could write Brown's next novel in their sleep. But the real travesty is his ignorance.

Dan Brown's "truths" regarding his fiction books turned movies paints the Catholic Church as an evil nest of lying murderers conspiring to protect the lie that Jesus Christ is God or that Jesus fornicated with Mary Magdalene, qualifies as hate speech against Christians and should be treated as such. Brown's 'history' is in the same class as "The Birth of a Nation." It is sad that the ignorant continue to take Dan Brown and his art historian wife seriously instead of seeing them as history hacks.

Yes, Christians, this is Dan Brown's message: It's a lie that Jesus, our Messiah, is both God and man, One in Being with the Father and Spirit - and the Catholic Church is out to cover up this `lie' with murder. It is always wise to know the mind set of the enemy and his agents. Enlighten yourself. But do what I did: rent it from the public library - they didn't have any choice but to buy it. Don't blindly fill a hate monger's coffers.

Question: Is Opie, Dan Brown, et Al showing real bravery by consistantly attacking a group of Christians, which are most likely to pray for their souls? No. If Opie, Dan Brown, and company had real balls, they would have created a couple of anti-Muslim anti-Muhammad books and movies - and then visited Saudi Arabia on a promotional tour. No, I wouldn't have recommend spending your hard earned cash supporting that hate speech either!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2009 2:19:56 AM PDT
Just because you question something doesn't mean you're attacking it.

Posted on Jun 15, 2009 8:08:20 AM PDT
Ed Parks says:
I would like some thoughts on Brown's story concerning why Carlo changed his mind in first placing the anti-matter to destroy and then removing it.

Also, where did the Hassissin come from?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Angels & Demons forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2005
Latest post:  Jun 15, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Angels & Demons (Random House Large Print)
Angels & Demons (Random House Large Print) by Dan Brown (Hardcover - September 2, 2003)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (2,936)