Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > SimCity: Limited Edition forum

Welcome Back Maxis & SimCity! (Reboot)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 361 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:23:46 AM PST
TheFrey says: --- We are building a multiplayer experience. That is our goal. We want players to play together. We're making the missions, adding leaderboards, things like that. This is a collaborative online experience.

So in other words, "We don't care about players who do not want to particapte in social game play."

Good, just so we are clear where we stand with Maxis. >:(

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:15:44 AM PST
Grieger says:
Yeah, well, EA's CEO made it clear they want everything they launch from now on to be online-focused (or rather it has to have an online component at minimum). I'm sure they've figured out some way to justify it as a way to foster social interaction (PR) or promote a network effect (for the MBA types)...when in reality they just want to inconvenience the majority for the transgressions of the minority. I hate that. I shell out good money every year for the latest games and have to be subjected to stupid and at times draconian DRM whereas the cheap-o pirate types out there crack the game and have fun.

They should offer a sort of FastPass program (like the TSA) where customers who shell out money for their games and register (I have an EA account so...I'm already registered) can get the DRM turned off or something.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:11:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 12:11:49 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Grieger: Or you could just wait on to get their hands on it. They are all about games being DRM Free.

I'm still buying this game :]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:20:47 PM PST
Grieger says:
lol...Yeah, I love Only problem is, until recently they really hadn't had any recent games for sale. And I seriously doubt they''ll get any of these EA games that are hosted on Origin. At least until EA finally gets rid of Origin. Always a waiting game with game publishers.

By the way, if there's a version of a Sim game from Maxis that you want to see on there, check out their Community Wishlist. You can vote (I think you need to be a registered user though that's free) for games or suggest them if they aren't listed. IT doesn't guarantee they'll get them but it helps them focus their efforts on getting the ones that are popular (or are even on the board).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:00:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 1:02:05 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
You know that they do have a contract with EA to release or re-release games for them & I do frequent them too, whenever they send newsletters for the weekend sales. Which are really dirt cheap. I love my copy of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri w/crossfire I got. Which is an EA published game and EAO might get first dibs but doesn't mean that they wont release it to

@Grieger: We should probably exchange wishlist ideas :3

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:25:41 PM PST
Grieger says:
Right, I forgot they started offering some of their older games. Still, we're talking games that have been out for years...I ain't waiting that long if the game play is actually good.

I've voted for a bunch (would love to fire up the X-Wing/TIE fighter games again). Check out this little item on the site features wishlist:

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:37:49 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
LOL- That, link! XD

@Grieger: It's possible for around 3 million or above in US dollars they might do it.

And they already do DRM free games w/EA titles. Also They are promising to release more frequent newer games, monthly and we get to pick a vote on release date ones. Supposedly. :]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:09:25 PM PST
Grieger says:
One can only hope. The problem's got is they don't own any of the games so it's up to them to convince the publishers that do that it'll be worth it. In most cases, they're probably right since the games are dated enough that people raised on the newer, flashier games won't care as much about pirating them.

Back to SimCity, time will tell. They've got a little more time before they go gold with it, and with enough pressure from the gamers most interested in actually buying the game, I'm hoping they'll cave. At minimum, they might release it as planned but patch it later to not require the online component. Ideal world, they'll finally get rid of Origin and life will be good again. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:05:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:11:13 AM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Grieger: Yeah I'm up for buying this one too! :]

I just hope that EAO wont be "required" absolutely to run their games from now on. I prefer a minimal boot program like's opposed to a full browser app experience such as EAO or Valve's Steam. Cause if I want to buy a game or use the forums I can do that without "bloat-ware" apps that force you into using only their product with their own program "system" of DRM in-order to play. After all why else would I use Firefox, IE, or Google's Chrome for? (to browse and shop duh!) :]

Do you think there is any chance of a full deluxe version for Amazon or customers? I'd hope so.

Uh- one other thing, I'm super impressed by the new Galssbox engine. I think this SC game should encompass the design that Ol'Maxis back in Sim-City 2000 wanted to try to accomplish. It sounds great! :p

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:22:43 PM PST
Grieger says:
Given the current "strategy", I think it'll be almost guaranteed you'll need to install Origin. If it's anything like BF3, they'll make the main "launcher" actually a web site. There MIGHT be a way to launch the game offline but the way the devs are currently talking, I doubt it.

On the plus side (if there is one), I've already got Origin installed. I just boot it up when I want to play one of the games.

I just checked and I was able to launch Syndicate without Origin (just had to track down the EXE). So it really will be in the devs hands. If they make it possible to boot up without the MP aspects, then we'll be saved...just a minor hassle. If they go the BF3 route, then, well, no SimCity on that plane ride. :)

Deluxe edition: My guess is they'll do a digital deluxe one via the Origin store. There might be a "limited edition" that'll just add some digital stuff but nothing full blown (i.e. physical items or anything like that). Might even be the pre-order version (i.e. you can pre-order the limited edition for the same price as the main game).

The game engine does look great. I'm hoping they've made it scalable. That way maybe if you've got a better computer (or you're able to upgrade after a while) you can support more agents and the like (i.e. a larger, more complex city). I'm hoping they'll consider adding some sort of modding capability so people can add scenarios, cosmetic buildings or even new buildings/structures.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 12:31:48 AM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@Grieger: Yeah I've noticed how other players took to modding textures and scenarios to suit their goal for their city back in SC2000. It'd be nice for them to offer something similar for this SC(2013). I'd love a cool Scenario Editor for this game. I think they need to touch base with what they wanted with fans from SC2000 by continuing to be community friendly and Mod friendly.

On the side of adaptability, it'd be nice to see them take advantage of newer PC's and recently upgraded ones via GPU Card. Seeing the ability for larger scale cities and having more agents doing different task would be nice. If anything else the video here should show some idea of the current progress they went through recently. This was a Live Broadcast, and it shows off some fantastic simulated game-play and ideas.

Video URL: (Link)

The video is 20 minutes long grab a seat and a drink w/ snacks :]

If anything I love how this is indeed turning out... :p

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:58:59 PM PST
Grieger says:
I'm liking the building upgrades. Definitely makes me think there could be some potential for modding. Not sure I like the "medium city" limitation. I guess I'll just have to play it to know if it'll mean anything to me.

Interesting that they're mentioning how you CAN play SP. But, if they set it up anything like something like Syndicate, then we can all just set up a shortcut directly to the EXE and be happy as clams.

Also, I agree with a comment I saw (unless I misread it) where I suspect they're going to try to leverage DLC as a way to charge $19.99 for "packs" that'll add new building types, scenarios, etc. That might nix modding unless they're smart and actually offer to bundle in some of the more popular user-generated mods in a free or very low price DLC pack. Another game I play (X3) has a very active modding community which ended up creating the content for an expansion that included a whole new "main" quest along with some of the more popular mods created by the community. The publisher just packaged it nicer (so you didn't have to go through the hassle of installing manually) while also putting a stamp of approval on it so you could still clear achievements (modded games are flagged so you can't get achievements; need to play plain vanilla), adding a few more achievements, and adding some content of their own. It's bundled as a standalone expansion so they charged $9.99 for it but honestly, I didn't mind. It updated the timeline for the game (some parts of the universe had changed) and it supported a developer/publisher that supports its community--and no, you don't have to be online to play it. :)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:17:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 5:32:44 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
Well as far as "Expansions" are concerned, I think they want to add features in a plausible way and EA itself wants your money usually, they may go the route of free user/community made content for additional scenarios/items/content like the Sims or even similar to the free DLC packs for Mass Effect 3.

Time will tell, till I find another cool article and video trailer. ;]

Edit: This "X3"?
X3: Reunion see;

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:30:37 AM PST
Deep Six says:
I've been playing SC since the factories looked like LEGGO blocks. But this "online requirement" is crap! I'll stick to the old but tried and true versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:35:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 2:36:09 AM PST
Kirk Travel says:
Its your choice. Although this game will have improvements that back since even (the 1st) SimCity was first made. The Maxis team accomplished much since then. Now if "online requirements" are going to stop you from enjoying a game entirely, then so be it. However, I wont be fault them for what they have made publicly known for years that they wish to add online features and functionality to SimCity brand games, basically I can't fault them for just doing their jobs. I can only critique their work when its finally released in all the native glory- w/DRM aside.

Till then just be excited or not about this game which looks to be quite promising and amazing. As for me while SC Social, was not my favorite but I have enjoyed everyone of the Sim Games till now and I'm very ecstatic for this game. It could potentially only get better from now on. Also while EA or EA's Origin is not truly super "user friendly", I do tend to think the Sim games usually are. In this case if you dont want MP you can still go solo for SC(2013). Even if an online connection is required, at least you can "go-it alone" :]

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:36:53 AM PST
I have no issue with online but only has an option I don't want to be force to play with people as I prefer sandbox mode or playing against the computer rather my city goes broke and I get fire or becomes rich and all the Sims worship me doesn't matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:43:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 3:44:20 AM PST
Kirk Travel says:
I'm a bit confused with your statement, but I do get that you don't care about online enabled game-play. If solo is your style it will still have it. Just remember to keep an open mind about it, till you try it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:51:58 AM PST
They had online with Simcity 4 but I never used it. Simcity 4 I loved the game but it was a memory hog, They issues a couple patches and it worked but always felt sluggish to me.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:58:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 3:59:10 AM PST
Kirk Travel says:
SC(2013) is actually using a new engine called "Glass-Box". So its not the same one from any previous SC.

Check the Wiki URL for more information:

I think its pretty cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:31:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:18:53 AM PST
I seen this video and I am hooked also a video I saw said you can mark a city or even a whole region public or private private is for my eyes only. So that doesn't sound too bad.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:46:38 AM PST
Grieger says:
I suspect it'll be fine. I think the online 24/7 thing will be fine for most people in the end (I'm still crossing my fingers hoping they'll consider an Offline mode so I can play while travelling) and so far everything I'm hearing about the "world" part of it is optional (though potentially useful if you're into building unique cities).

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:21:33 PM PST
TheFrey says:
There is no way in a hot place, that I am going to buy a game with an expiration date. Which is exactly what a game requiring the funding of online servers is. Besides, I have been checking their forums and FB feed. They have connectivity issues all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:43:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 12:44:30 PM PST
Kirk Travel says:
@TheFrey: Well duh, Maxis is under EA's thumb. They will be using the EAO and hired Servers ultimately. The thing is though I will doubt you would pay for the online in this SC(2013) aside possibly expansion set and DLC contents.

So if ya dont like it, oh well. I can't help ya there. I'm for Grieger's viewpoint on this anyway. Where; Online may be an inevitable change to SC, I hope they consider a "offline" mode to save your City's progress on the go or during a (Home-scaled) internet shutdown crisis and the latter.

@Randall D. Lind:

Nice to see your happy with the turnabout of SC. I'm hooked on this one too! :]

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 3:10:51 PM PST
Jenn says:
I'm in a wait and see mode myself. Just playing Tropico 4(great game, easy menu, launcher wonderful) and Settlers 7 (which BTW, has the hated DRM and I'm having nothing but issues with this game, so I'd not ever in a bajillion years ever recommend this to another person right now)...I think I can wait for a bit. If I get chosen as a beta tester, they may change my opinion, but right now, no pre-order. I'm really hesitant about the online always requirement (yeah I have a great connection, but you should see how often they screw up the Sims 3 servers) and the no Terra Forming (a key element that made it different from many other simulation games). So again, wait and see, and I'll be playing Tropico 4 and Sims 3 (which oddly enough STILL has a terra forming mode). And for city management, I'm hoping to get Civilization 5 for the holidays.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 3:53:40 PM PST
Grieger says:
Speaking of recommendations, it isn't city building and there's no terraforming but Cities in Motion's a nice game if you're hankering for some transportation management. It has its faults (trying to assess where everyone needs to go isn't necessarily easy) but it's fun, has an interesting amount of detail, and it does sim down to individuals in the city in question. It's on Steam and here on Amazon apparently.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  53
Total posts:  361
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
SimCity: Limited Edition
SimCity: Limited Edition by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
1.5 out of 5 stars (4,116)