Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2005 11:17:16 PM PST
Be the first to start a new discussion in this forum. Share questions, insights, and views about your favorite books and authors. Hear what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2006 9:50:22 PM PST
peejay says:
Well, here's my experiences. On my first job, as a library assistant, I was part of a massive lay-off of 1/3 of the staff after the university hired $600,000 consultants to decide that we could do more library work with fewer hand motions.

My next job, which I enjoyed, was only part-time with no benefits. I was a writer/editor. I got a second job as a maid/personal assistant that paid more than $2 per hour more than my writing/editing job. As I was having some medical problems, I moved onto my next job . . .

I worked for a large medical association. After my boss quit, I was doing both her job and my own, when one of my responsibilities turned out to be reporting on the elimination of my own program.

After that, I did medical writing for three years. However, at some point, it was discovered that one of the risk managers had embezzled more than $1 million from the University. The consultants that were inevitably hired after this recommended that we, in the research department, write down what we were doing every 5 minutes for billing purposes, even though none of us were risk managers and none of us had any access to money. The whole department left one by one . . .

Next, I worked as editor at another university department. The work was completely pointless and consisted of whipping up hysteria over various "drug menaces," and editing papers that invariably stressed the need for "further research" on the subject at hand. It was essentially a "make-work" situation for the Ph.D. crowd.

Next, onto adult education. I worked as a "literacy coach" in DC. First, we were subjected to "leadership training" every Friday with 4 (for 20 people!) highly paid "consultants." Basically, they were friends of the politically powerful woman who got the money from the US government. Our "leadership training" consisted of reading management books that had nothing to do with education and irrelevant "personality analyses." After our first year, we had to re-apply for our jobs. Meanwhile, none of us were paid for the vacations we did not take--that is, 20 of us lost two or more weeks of pay. We could not protest because then we wouldn't be hired again! So we sucked it up and spent another year teaching adults who had been denied/cheated in the first place, while the people who controlled the purse strings continued to cheat them and us.

Yes, this is a great system!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2005
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about