Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on December 11, 2002
In this particuler book the begging is great but the end kind of drags, but im not saying you shouldn't read it its still a great book!
The protagonist in this book is Billy. He and some other kids get sent to camp nightmoon but when the bus driver unloads everything in the middle of nowhere they think that their in the wrong place, but the driver ignored them and drove off leaving all the kids with the question still in their head where were they.After being atacked by some sort of beast uncle Al the camp consular comes to the rescue.Uncle Al shows each kid to their cabins which they had to share. Suddenly wierd things started to happen and people started missing but when Bily would ask a question the other camp consulars were mean about it and wouldnt give them the proper answer they deserve!
Hey i know what your thinking what happens next well thats all th info your getting out of me so if your curios to see what the beast is and why everyone is missing red the book and you will unlock worlds of answers!
What i liked best about this book is that was that so many things were happing in a short amount of time which builds the suspence and excitement with each coming page!
on March 7, 2002
The book, Welcome To Camp Nightmare, by R.L. Stine, is a story about a boy who is going to a boy's camp during the summer. He had a couple close encounters but he made it through. His friends started missing and the stakes was getting higher. The counselors are not paying any attain to him.
Billy was a good detective and a leader. He came up with great ideals and also he was brave. All of the others weren't being themselves. I think the message of this book is you can always depend on your friends. I hated when his friends and counselors was acting everything out but Billy didn't know. Now the best thing was the mystery about what was happening to all the kids. The overall ending of the book was shocking and weird.
I think that the author's style says just what we need to keep us interested very during the entire book. For an example a person could be gone with so type of monster somewhere around the camp. I think this book will be good for ages 7-16 because of a little violence and the thrilling suspense story. This story is recommend for all readers. It tells about an ordinary kid in a weird but cool place. On a scale from 1-5 stars I give it all five stars.
By: C.H.
on November 6, 2001
Have you ever been stuck at a camp where everybody keeps disappearing? Well Billy, the protagonist of the book Welcome To Camp Nightmare, has. Billy and his friends can handle the food, the counselors, and Uncle Al. then Jay, Roger, Mike and Colin, his bunkmates, start disappearing one by one. Now what's going on?
First, a snake bit Mike. He got taken away because it hurt so badly. Colin got hit in the head with a baseball. He was seeing double like a bug. Larry threw it so hard that Colin had to go to the hospital. Next Jay and Roger went to the forbidden bunk. Roger screamed like a little baby when it's hungry. Everyone said there was something out there and Roger had just found it. A monster called Sabre had eaten Roger. Jay luckily survived but then disappeared on a walk he took the next day.
Billy had been witnessing all of this. He was scared to death as if he had just been kidnapped. New bunkmates came in Billy's bunk. They were very strange. Billy didn't want to go with them anywhere or do any of the activities. He was so scared.
I feel that it was a great book. I really anticipated turning the pages. I was on the verge of finishing the whole book in one night. I was very frightened when Billy was all alone. I didn't know if he was going to get home. I had to finish the book!
What will happen? What's going on? Why won't his parents answer his letters? What kind of monster is Sabre? All of these questions can be answered when you read the Goosebumps book, Welcome To Camp Nightmare, R.L. Stine. Will Billy get home or even survive? Read the book and find out.
on March 16, 2000
This book tells the story of Billy, a twelve year old boy, about to go to an overnight summer camp. Stine takes time to introduce us to the characters who all come off as believable. Billy's incredible and very scary experiences at camp during most of the book are believable. That makes this a classic! The sudden ending is a letdown in my book. Great read!
on October 17, 1999
I was a Goosebumps fanatic ever since "Welcome to Dead House" came out in 1992, when I was only 6 years old. A few yrs. ago, I've grown out of R.L. Stine's books, but I do remember this being the best of them all. It's the best because of the twisted ending. WHOA!
on January 12, 2007
As Welcome to Camp Nightmare begins we join a lively group of youngsters headed to the sleep-away camp, Camp Nightmoon, called Camp Nightmare by the campers...and with good reason. In this volume we meet 12 year old Billy who is headed out for his first time at sleep-away camp, we join him on the bus ride with his fellow campers, including two girls who are headed to the girls camp of the same name, just across the river. Billy hits it off with one of the girls and hopes to see her as the summer goes on. They are let off abruptly and left alone at a station where they are nearly set upon by large wild dogs. They are whisked away to Camp Nightmoon where he is assigned to Bunk 4, just down the hill from the ominous "Forbidden Bunk" which they are told to stay away from at all costs or a wolf like monster called Sabre will kill them. They are also warned against bear attacks...all of this seems highly causal to both the reader and to Billy who wonders why his parents would send him off to a camp that is so dangerous.

Almost immediately things head down hill for Billy and his bunk mates; Larry (their camp counselor who isn't around much and is indifferent when he is), Roger, Jay, Collin and Mike. Snakes attack Mike whose hand swells up, Billy comes through with a plan to get the snakes out of the bunk, but it's too late for poor Mike's hand...even worse, there's not nurse at the camp and Neither Uncle Al (runs the camp) nor Larry seem to care in the slightest. From there, it's a downward spiral for Billy and his bunkmates as one after another mysteriously disappears and as fear mounts for Billy wondering why Larry and Uncle Al seem so oblivious and unconcerned about something that is very wrong at Camp Night Moon...will Billy escape the fate of his bunkmates? You'll have to read to find out.

Overall, Camp Nightmare is an over-the-top, no holds barred near-parody of the classic sleep-away camp horror/thriller story. We are given a camp where EVERYTHING is wrong and where our hopelessly frightened protagonist is faced with a monster, the "forbidden bunk," disappearing bunkmates, a cruel counselor, a possibly psychotic Uncle Al, and a steadily mounting feeling that Billy's days are numbered! Camp Nightmare manages to be both suspenseful and horrific in a tame sort of way...one that makes the reader want to stop all the action and shake the character while screaming NO WAY...stop and think about it...but he never does and in the end we are given a totally unique twist (that is equally as unrealistic as the rest of the book) when the book comes to a screeching halt, concluding very abruptly! All the loose ends are tied up and the story IS entertaining, though your brain will scream NO WAY for most of the book, I give it four stars (instead of three) because I totally didn't see the ending that Stine gave it, so despite the over exaggerated plot details, he "got" me in the end. This is the type of book you read for the sheer entertainment of it...you know it's not right, you know it's unrealistic...yet you are compelled to read it to the very last page and you walk away with a little giggle and rolling your eyes...but you have been entertained and that makes it worth reading.
on May 18, 2012
From the moment Billy steps off the bus things are odd. Not only does the bus driver literally leave all the campers stranded they are also surrounded by weird wolf-looking creatures before their Camp Director, Uncle Al, saves them - Uncle Al is also anything but normal. Billy can't help but know something is different, if not wrong, with Camp Nightmoon. At first Billy brushes off small incidences that seem odd to him, but as fellow campers and friends start to disappear and strange noises come from the Forbidden Bunk at night, Billy can't ignore the truth anymore. Something is up at Camp Nightmoon. What is going on?? Why are the councilors not doing anything? Billy's first time at camp will be an unforgettable one for sure.

Having grown up on a lot of R.L. Stine's works, especially Goosebumps, re-reading this was a blast! It's odd to think that this book was first published in 1991, more than 20 years ago. I forgot how much fun these books are. R.L. Stine has one again done a fantastic job at knowing how to write for age-appropriate audience. The language of the book also plays perfectly to the Middle Grade reading audience. The plot line was simple with a few surprising twists, that even as an adult I didn't remember, thus making me surprised. One of the biggest surprises was the ending. I don't care who you are, you won't see this end at all.

Even though I am now an adult, these books are still fantastic quick reads. Goosebumps is definitely one of those series that will remain a classic.
on May 23, 2014
This is a good one! Starts out totally creepy and doesn't let up until the end. Billy narrates his own story of summer camp and weird things happen right from the bus trip out there, things get dangerous, spooky, kids disappear, etc. until the final twist ending. Which is pretty good even though I did figure it out but what you don't see coming is the extra, extra twist on the last page, last paragraph that cues that awesome Twilight Zone music for a super horror story ending. Fun!
on January 6, 2013
Amazing! A Goosebumps book that manages slow-burning suspense and has quality writing. Admittedly, in some parts the suspense burns a little too slowly, but it's worth overlooking because, dang, the book's actually good. Maybe I'm just astounded that I like it better than when I read it as a kid, because the only thing that stuck was the beginning where the kids are stranded in the desert by their bus driver. I don't know why I didn't get into it. The way the protagonist can't trust anyone - especially the adults - is unsettling and ratchets up the tension and the feeling that something just isn't quite right at this camp. Plus, I'm a sucker for unexplained disappearances and cover-ups. As stated, the writing quality really adds a lot to the story and despite having a slap-in-the-face ending, I loved every minute reading it. This is why I'm trudging through the monotonous titles of the series - to find the few gold nuggets amid the evil sponges and egg monsters of Goosebumps land. I recommend wholeheartedly.
on August 28, 2011
The last time I read any of these books I was actually of target age to read them. So yeah, it's been a while. And while I couldn't get totally engrossed in it like I used to, it still kicked major ass. I really don't think RL Stine can do much by the way of wrong.

The writing is very simple and I think reflects the era of middle grade it was written in. If you compare it against MG of today, I don't even think it'd really qualify for that shelf space (although it still does). But even apart from the simplicity, it's still masterful at telling the story. Heavy emphasis on telling. But really, I didn't mind it. I could still visualize everything. I didn't feel like I was being talked at. I felt like I was being told a story by a twelve-year-old boy, which I'm pretty sure was the point. The language isn't disingenuous to the age at all (as I feel a lot of MG and YA can be) and it just sticks to telling the story how a twelve-year-old would tell it without fluffing it up.

I can't remember how quickly I caught on to the catch when I was in that age bracket (if I did at all) but I felt it was pretty obvious right from the outset. What I didn't see coming, and it was something I'd completely forgotten, was the very end. The story had a twist plus a triple axle. Totally awesome.

It had all the creepy elements required of telling a good spooky story but not so much that you'd end up shrieking like a banshee at the drop of a pin. Although it might make you freak out about the woods a little. For me, though, I don't need much help with that. Stine keeps the horror hidden and hinted at. We never get a really good look at these supposed creatures and the inaction of the counselors is far scarier than some true-to-form demon thing.

I'm so glad Goosebumps has transcended time like it has. This book is closing in on twenty years old! OMFG! I have to stop dating myself! But really, they're timeless. There's nothing in the story that dates it to a certain time. I don't think Stine felt a need to name drop like a lot of authors do today so his stories fared better. All the more power to them. It just means that more and more generations will grow up loving Goosebumps! Always a plus.