Customer Discussions > A Clockwork Orange forum

Welcome to the A Clockwork Orange forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2005 10:38:29 AM PST
Be the first to start a new discussion in this forum. Share questions, insights, and views about your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2005 9:47:53 AM PST
AmyStar says:
It's been quite a while since I read this book. I do remember it was a fun read. I read the quote from William S. Burroughs listed here at amazon.com:

"I do not know of any other writer who has done as much with language as Mr. Burgess has done here-the fact that this is also a very funny book may pass unnoticed."

An excellent point regarding the special language of "A Clockwork Orange"--it definitely adds to its appeal. However I'm surprised that Burroughs expected many to miss the humor in this book. I'm curious as to whether others found this book humorous.

I hope people will continue to explore Anthony Burgess beyond his most famous book.

Regarding the special language in "A Clockwork Orange"--if you find this aspect of the book appealing, I recommend "The Bonfire of the Vanities" by Tom Wolfe. He doesn't create a new language for this book, but his love of language is apparent throughout--I devoured this 704-page book. I even read it a second time and may eventually read it a third.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2005 9:49:52 PM PST
yes; this book makes me want to read more of the author's work, especially the ones he was most proud of, though I would imagine some of those are
out of print; do any of you readers happen to know any other titles by
the author that he was most proud of?

gosh this book was so good, what reading, what incredible language, what a job!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2005 7:14:37 PM PST
AmyStar says:
At anthonyburgess.com, there's a section which lists all his writings. There it says that he's most proud of his book MF. This book is available used at http://amazon.com. I haven't read this book. It sounds intriguing.

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 9:14:04 AM PST
David Graham says:
Those readers of " A Clockwork Orange" who enjoyed the author's construction/invention of the new language, may enjoy Burgess' "A Mouthful of Air". It is a wonderfully lucid and readable treatise on speech and language - how we make the variety of discrete sounds / phonemes of which our evolved vocal apparatus is capable of producing and use them within the frameworks of the spectrum of human spoken language.
Dave in Estelline, SD

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 1:37:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2011 1:38:03 PM PDT
Dark Bulbs says:
Does the Norton Critical Edition of A Clockwork Orange contain the 21st chapter?

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 1:36:31 PM PDT
Joker says:
Yes the Norton Critical Edition contains the 21st chapter.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:20:44 PM PDT
R. F says:
Does the Restored Text edition include the 21st chapter? I hope it does, since it's the reason I bought it in the first place.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  A Clockwork Orange forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2005
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Clockwork Orange A Play with Music
A Clockwork Orange A Play with Music by Anthony Burgess (Paperback - 1987)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (919)