Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Ender's Game forum

Welcome to the Ender's Game forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2005 10:40:42 AM PST
Be the first to start a new discussion in this forum. Share questions, insights, and views about your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2007 5:36:25 PM PDT
FrogPrincess says:
WOW! THis was an amazing Sci-Fi book! There aren't that many of those floating around, and I'm an especially picky reader, but you don't just have to take my word for it. There are so many others who love this series as I do. Out of curiosity, for those of you who have started and/or finished the Bean Quartet, do you like those better than the Ender Quartet? Please, NO SPOILERS!!! Some of us*ahem*, have only read the first book in each saga. =D

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2007 9:44:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2007 12:33:42 PM PDT
GingerG says:
I think the Ender's Quartet is the better of the two. That said, I think both get increasingly weak as you read through them. Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are the strongest of the whole series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2007 5:19:58 PM PDT
Boomzilla says:
I absolutely love Ender's Game. Re-read it every year or so. One of the all-time definitive Sci-Fi novels. Ender's Shadow adds a whole new twist to the story. I must admit that I've never finished Speaker for the Dead. After the hard science fiction in Ender's Game the fantasy of Speaker is a real let down.

Ender's Game the Movie is due out in 2008. More information on Imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400403/

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2007 8:11:35 AM PDT
Gwen says:
Wow, I grew up on this book. I still remember all my 9th grade classmates looking at me like I was crazy when I did my book report on the whole series. I liked the series that much. I wonder how the movie will make out.

Has anyone here read Ender's Shadow? What did you think of it?

Posted on Mar 15, 2009 10:34:34 AM PDT
First of all, I liked the novel. I actually liked the short story even better, because it was more to the point, and the ending had a lot of sock.

The basic premise is that the human race is faced with a deadly danger (the "buggers") who appear to be aiming at exterminating the human race. Quite logically, the human race will do most anything to prevent this. Those who say that somehow this is immoral simply baffle me.

Card's writing style in this novel was fine with me, and I enjoyed it. I am 55 years old, and would not agree that this novel was written at a child's level, although I think that it would be fine for teenage readers.

Posted on Mar 19, 2009 7:00:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2009 7:00:34 PM PDT
Cornhusker says:
I loved Enders Game when I was a kid so I decided to revisit it again this year and I have to admit it has not aged well. The writing, which I had thought so brilliant before, is actually pedestrian most of the time, the characters are not special (and they should be) and the structure of the story itself never seems to reach that crescendo it needs. It's not a bad novel but certainly not as great as I had remembered. Ender is this brilliant kid and yet he never seems brilliant, he seems more lucky than an innovative thinker and that is a crucial problem with this novel.
This is one of those SF novels best read as a teenager.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2009 7:34:13 AM PDT
Donna L. says:
I have read the entire Ender's quartet, and Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon. It's really hard to say which is "better" though... they follow completely different story lines after Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow. (On a side note, I must comment on how happy I was with Card's ability to basically write the same book twice and still make it feel brand new. I think the time gap between when he wrote each book was a big contributor. Reading his prologues gives a good insight to the process.) Anyway, I disagree that the series becomes "weak" after Ender's Game... you must remember that people tend to connect with Ender in the first book because we all see a little of ourselves in him. Were you a little smarter than your classmates? Picked on by bullies and/or older siblings? Parents who were ambiguous to you? Just about anything you might have suffered, he goes through it - and he's so young, it's almost impossible not to root for him. Jump forward in time, and he's a jaded and burnt-out war vet before he's even old enough to drive. None of us have been through anything THAT extreme, so we lose our connection with him a bit. We still know and love him, but he's not the same person. You have to stick with Ender through his rough time, and remember his endless qualities that endeared us to him to begin with. Bean is also hard to identify with, as he spent so many years without any real affection, and no parents at all. It's hard for most of us to understand his cold nature. You have to keep in mind that Card wrote these characters (and their storylines) this way on purpose. These are not normal kids we're talking about here, and they're certainly not normal adults. You can't expect them to think or behave the way normal people think.

Anyway, overall, I like to enjoy both quartets as a full set of eight, rather than thinking of them seperately. Each has their own good qualities, as well as bad.

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 10:46:57 AM PDT
CollinLeon says:
I have the paperbacks for the various Ender books and they were good reads. I wish it was possible to swap the paper versions for the digital versions so that I could clear out my library a bit. The paper versions have started to yellow with age, and although they will probably outlast me and I'm not so sure that the Kindle e-book format will be around for that long, it would be nice to consolidate things in life and reduce the clutter....

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 5:47:06 AM PDT
Tony Carter says:
Test post

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 9:40:58 AM PDT
Donna L. says:
Test successful

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 10:52:35 AM PDT
Jo-Teflon says:
Enters shadow is a gripping story about bean after battle school. His struggles being Enders second and the turmoil he faces returning to earth. The whole shadow series is it's own collection of bean and earths fate that Enders leaves behind while he travels to a new colony. It also incorporates many of the other beloved children from Enders Game and their fates on Earth as their home countries make the generals and leaders to assert dominance on earth.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 3:35:11 PM PDT
Gwen,
I know Im responding to your question 5 years later but why not?

What did I think of enders shadow? I was angry. I read the ender series and was excited to read the bean series. But I couldnt make it thought the first book. I truly loved enders game. Its my favorite novel. And to see card create out of thin air a behind the scenes take on enders game that steals the thunder of ender pissed me off. It was like creating a parallel star wars story that explained that if luke failed it wasnt a big deal because there was another hidden jedi who was able to jump in if needed. And on top of that if I remember correctly bean was given credit for things that were enders doing originally. Anyway I wish I would have read the following 3 books because I truly enjoyed peter and vals political story of taking over the world. Anyway I have to stop now because Im getting worked up and probably say things I dont mean.

Joshua

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 8:34:41 PM PDT
A. Macy says:
I read through the entire Ender's quartet. I Enjoyed the first 3. Ender's Game being the strongest and fastest read. Xenocide enjoyable for it's philosophical elements, and interesting scientific theory. Children of the mind was a complete letdown for me: predictable and barren. I've begun the Bean series--most of the way through Ender's Shadow and enjoying seeing the Ender's game story from another perspective. Ender's "thunder" is brought back as Bean's respect and admiration for him grow throughout the course of the novel in my opinion. Interested in the premise of the next novel, seeing what happens back on earth while Ender and Valentine are in mid-travel to the Bugger home world. Assuming by the title, Bean and Peter are going to be working side by side. I wonder if there will be much reference to Ender. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game_(series)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Ender's Game
Participants:  13
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2005
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Ender's Game
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Paperback - August 15, 1992)
4.6 out of 5 stars (9,627)